Obligations of Clubs and Associations in supporting skaters

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Just putting this one out there.

One of the comments a particular skating community in my area makes is around support. They comment that the organisations that run the sport do nothing to support them. There are no specifics. I know sometimes implementation of policies and procedures can be an issue but that is a procedural thing. I tend to agree that things could be better in that regard.

My question is what obligation do the various organisations of a sporting body have towards supporting skaters? The various conflicts within the sport arise because people do pay a small fortune for lessons to coaches and they will pay their membership fees but at the end of the day the sport is run by volunteers. What should a skater expect from their clubs and associations?

I would be interested to hear people's opinions/feedback in this forum on the topic.

Clarice

The way I see it, the responsibility of my club is to provide opportunities for our members. We sponsor competitions, test sessions, and shows. We buy ice to supplement what is offered at our local rink. On occasion, we offer clinics or workshops.

I, too, am interested in what else people might expect from their clubs.

barbk

I would expect (especially now) that clubs would train skaters and parents in awareness of boundaries, grooming behaviors to watch for and report, ice, locker room & social media etiquette, appropriate parent engagement, and likely some healthy nutrition/body acceptance workshops.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The club also has to liaise with its parent region/section/federation. IME clubs should do this in a way that supports their members' interests, and not just say "okay" to everything. I realize that this is a tricky balance to manage, because parent organizations can be very political (just like clubs!) and it may not serve the club well in the long run to be seen as rebellious. But if the club doesn't speak up for its members, no one else will.

Depending on the type of facility the club uses, and further to @Clarice's point, clubs also have to arrange for ice time, which might mean negotiating with civic/municipal government and/or with other user groups. And they need to try to ensure that there's enough ice time for all types of skaters in the club, and that the ice scheduling is appropriate for the users (e.g. no adult sessions mid-day if most of the adult skaters have day jobs).

From being on a club board, I'd also say that a club should support its skaters by being transparent about its decisions and operations. There will never be enough resources for every skater in the club to get all the support they need or want, so boards need to be clear about what criteria they use to allocate resources. This also needs to be done fairly, e.g. if the club gives financial support to younger skaters participating in non-qualifying competitions (like covering the registration fee), it should also give the same kind of financial support to adult skaters who are competing. And the club should also be willing to listen, and to make changes, if there are legitimate complaints about resources being allocated inequitably.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I've been a member of a few clubs. Some do what I consider the minimum: they provide access to USFS/membership in the national body for the sport, offer test sessions, have a show or two per year, host a competition or two, and offer club ice with access to coaches (the coaches are paid separate from the club). They also have a website with info on the club, club ice times, the ability to sign up for test sessions.

One club I belonged to did those things, and also offered classes and seminars (that you'd pay for) for club members, on specific aspects of skating. They also had a monthly newsletter, highlighting achievements of club members, announcing upcoming competitions people might be interested in, etc.

The club I currently belong to does all of the above, plus has club ice at multiple rinks/test sessions at multiple rinks, holds monthly test sessions at all levels, offers financial support to people who go to nationals, including adults (in an amount that basically covers the entry fee/a hotel room for 1-2 nights), gives national team members a club jacket, and they also had a dinner for us to kick off nationals, in addition to the basics I mentioned above - and for adults as well as for kid skaters.

The best club I ever was exposed to (but didn't join because it was hard to get to) covered all entry fees to all competitions for any club member, provided club jackets to all members, and provided reduced cost freestyle sessions. This was at an elite private uni, and the uni covered these costs for the club members.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
It might also be interesting to ask about what clubs should expect from members. For example, are you required to volunteer with the club for a certain number of hours per season, or not? If the member is a minor, is a parent also required to join the club (with an increased fee), or not? The club I'm a member of now, which provides me with funding, is the one that requires the most of those that I've belonged to. And I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Some do what I consider the minimum: they provide access to USFS/membership in the national body for the sport, offer test sessions, have a show or two per year, host a competition or two, and offer club ice with access to coaches (the coaches are paid separate from the club). They also have a website with info on the club, club ice times, the ability to sign up for test sessions.
That actually seems like more than the minimum to me!

I've seen clubs that basically just supply access to USFS membership and maybe have a show every year and maybe run some test sessions. No competitions and no club ice. Not saying this is great but sometimes these clubs have very low dues. So for people who don't need the rest, it can be attractive.

Debbie S

My club has club ice at 2 rinks (6 days a week of ice, basically) and we try to have test sessions 4x a year. We host an annual comp, although not many of our members enter, the majority of our members don't compete....the comp is more of a fundraiser. We do have parties and 2 shows per year which are really exhibitions...any member can sign up to skate a program, there are no group numbers or music themes. We do provide stipends for skaters qualifying for Sectionals and Nats, and Adult Nats for Championship qualifiers. We also have sendoffs for Regionals/Sectionals/Nats and Adult Nats, and synchro Nats (we don't have synchro but a couple members skate on other teams).

And we do have a newsletter recognizing members' accomplishments, plus a website, etc. And club jackets skaters can order. We have trophies based on tests passed and comp placements during each year.

Our dues are on the low end compared to other clubs in the area but members do pay for club ice (lower rate for members vs non-members).

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Well, right at the moment I'd like our association to realise it's shooting itself in the foot by alienating adult skaters who would like to test ice dance at more than the lowest level. There will be people paying money to rinks and to coaches for lessons, but who have zero incentive to join and pay fees to the club and state association as they won't be testing (or competing). There is no advantage where I am to even joining the club.

Realise that's not what you're getting at, but I guess it comes under the heading of considering ALL skaters, not just those who are training seriously.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Well, right at the moment I'd like our association to realise it's shooting itself in the foot by alienating adult skaters who would like to test ice dance at more than the lowest level. There will be people paying money to rinks and to coaches for lessons, but who have zero incentive to join and pay fees to the club and state association as they won't be testing (or competing). There is no advantage where I am to even joining the club.

Realise that's not what you're getting at, but I guess it comes under the heading of considering ALL skaters, not just those who are training seriously.
Aren't you in Australia? Maybe message me. I am Sport Development Chair for ISA which covers Adult Skating :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information