Obama Says Goodbye

ballettmaus

I don't like that Michelle Obama's painting doesn't look like her and that the proportions seems off (her head looks too small but it might simply appear that way due to the dominating skirt) and his painting is not my style. But I do like them otherwise.
That said, I think the most important thing is that they're happy with it and I hope they are.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
I think Barack Obama looks serious, but I found him to be (for the most part) a serious man. The portrait of Michelle Obama is interesting - the kind of work you would study and walk away still thinking about but without coming to a conclusion.

I too like the fact that the Obamas were pleased with their portraits.

twinsissv

Two thumbs down on both paintings from my perspective. :rolleyes::yikes:

He looks mad in his painting & her painting just doesn't look like her at all.
I agree. He does look to be somewhat irritated. But then, he has good reason to be angry doesn't he? Eight years of difficult work fighting to help Americans in spite of an obstinately recalcitrant Congress seem to have been all for naught. I have not yet been able to shake my own feelings of anger about this nation's shameful and disgraceful descent into the abyss. :mad:

Peaches LaTour

I agree. He does look to be somewhat irritated. But then, he has good reason to be angry doesn't he? Eight years of difficult work fighting to help Americans in spite of an obstinately recalcitrant Congress seem to have been all for naught. I have not yet been able to shake my own feelings of anger about this nation's shameful and disgraceful descent into the abyss. :mad:
ITA. :(

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
Not sure where to post this.

I bought Michelle Obama's book at Costco yesterday. My books to read are piling up. Not sure when I will get to this. On my way out of Costco, the employee checking our purchases said to me- "You bought a good book!"

Allskate

I bought Michelle Obama's book at Costco yesterday. My books to read are piling up. Not sure when I will get to this. On my way out of Costco, the employee checking our purchases said to me- "You bought a good book!"
I thought I would like the book, but I liked it even more than I expected to. Only a fraction of it takes place while Barack is president, but the other parts are just as interesting and thought-provoking, if not more so. I'm not African-American and obviously have not been married to a president, but a lot of the book resonated with me, and I'm sure it does with a lot of people. I think the initial sales were to people who just like Michelle, but I suspect a lot of the subsequent sales were due to word of mouth about how good the book is.

BTW, I think the book would make a great graduation present because it makes people think about what they really want to do with their lives and careers and why.

Vash01

Finished watching the DVD ‘Obama All access’ by 60 minutes, narrated by Steve Craft. It included footage from 60 minutes and other interviews and speeches by Obama, icluding the nomination and inauguration speeches,Berlin speech, etc. it starts 2 weeks before he announced his candidacy for POTUS, and ends with his inauguration in January 2009. It is amazing how young he looked back then. He was a charismatic leader, a rock star, and my favorite president. Just goes to show how far we have fallen.

DFJ

He was in TO last night for the NBA. Crowd of course went crazy. What a pleasure to see a president with some class again.

Vash01

He was in TO last night for the NBA. Crowd of course went crazy. What a pleasure to see a president with some class again.
They showed it on espn. He is a big fan of sports and a pretty good basketball player.

aftershocks

So Sasha Obama recently graduated from Sidwell Friends and attended her prom. Soon after her graduation, she and her family vacationed for a week in the south of France at the same 18th-century farmhouse venue where Meryl Davis and Fedor Andreev married and celebrated. See the Meryl Davis wedding thread in GSD.

Here's more about the Obamas' stay at the same venue a week earlier apparently:

The brief news item reveals more details about the property: With 7 double bedrooms, the 18th-century farmhouse in the south of France sits on 65 acres... If you have $60,000-a-week to spare... (I usually try not to click on Daily Mail, but the above source includes a link to the original DM article, which of course has more pictures and details, including a promo video about the property).

Here's a lovely photo of Sasha with her boyfriend (perhaps a prom picture). She looks so grownup and almost unrecognizable. ((Sigh))

The DM article claims that Sasha turned down the opportunity to attend ivy league Yale, in order to matriculate at the University of Michigan (locale not mentioned). Perhaps Sasha (unlike Malia) did not want the added pressure of attending an ivy league school on top of the scrutiny associated with being the daughter of a former U.S. president.

Additional report:

Susan1

Additional report:
I like this part - "Barack Obama and our Michelle Obama – our POTUS and FLOTUS for life "
Then -
There are a couple other articles of their time together, and also I saw on my newsfeed the other day that George had to have an emergency repair on his pool before his guests got there.

Vash01

So Sasha Obama recently graduated from Sidwell Friends and attended her prom. Soon after her graduation, she and her family vacationed for a week in the south of France at the same 18th-century farmhouse venue where Meryl Davis and Fedor Andreev married and celebrated. See the Meryl Davis wedding thread in GSD.

Here's more about the Obamas' stay at the same venue a week earlier apparently:

The brief news item reveals more details about the property: With 7 double bedrooms, the 18th-century farmhouse in the south of France sits on 65 acres... If you have $60,000-a-week to spare... (I usually try not to click on Daily Mail, but the above source includes a link to the original DM article, which of course has more pictures and details, including a promo video about the property).

Here's a lovely photo of Sasha with her boyfriend (perhaps a prom picture). She looks so grownup and almost unrecognizable. ((Sigh))

The DM article claims that Sasha turned down the opportunity to attend ivy league Yale, in order to matriculate at the University of Michigan (locale not mentioned). Perhaps Sasha (unlike Malia) did not want the added pressure of attending an ivy league school on top of the scrutiny associated with being the daughter of a former U.S. president.

Additional report:
Nice to read about the Obamas. Sasha looks really grown up. I am a little disappointed that she declined the opportunity to attend Yale. Michigan is a good school but it can’t compete with Yale or Harvard. My philosophy is to go for the best possible - school, job, etc.The fame will always follow her, no matter where she goes. Anyway it’s her decision.

That place in the South of France is suddenly becoming famous. May be it already was.

aftershocks

^^ Oh my. The rich, influential, well-to-do and established VIPs have such a different lifestyle, and they all hang with each other! Amal and George are friends of the Sussexes and the Obamas too. And the Sussexes are friends of the Obamas, and Michelle Kwan is buddies with the Obamas and the Bidens. How soon might we see Michelle hobnobbing with British royalty? :lol: It would be unsurprising since she's already Kween herself. :D

That place in the South of France is suddenly becoming famous. May be it already was.
Yep, it surely already was popular among the well-to-do. It's just when high-profile celebs are written about and their vacation jaunts and wedding venues are revealed, that the masses are treated to some of the luxurious settings these people are always accustomed to enjoying.

https://people.com/politics/barack-obama-george-clooney-italian-getaway/
Hey, I see in the above article you linked @Susan1 that there's actually a contest the Clooney Foundation for Justice has launched to raise funds for justice and for redressing human rights abuses. Anyone can enter at omaze.com/clooney. A lucky couple can win the opportunity to enjoy the Clooneys' company at their villa in Lake Como. Imagine that!

Last edited:

aftershocks

I am a little disappointed that she declined the opportunity to attend Yale. Michigan is a good school but it can’t compete with Yale or Harvard. My philosophy is to go for the best possible - school, job, etc.The fame will always follow her, no matter where she goes.
True, but Sasha could have entirely different reasons for preferring the University of Michigan. It's a larger school experience, maybe with sports teams she's interested in. And she may have friends planning to go there as well, and she wished to join them. She might be able to enjoy a slight bit more anonymity at a larger school as well. Her choice could also have something to do with her academic interests or preferences. I might like to go to Yale for graduate studies, not necessarily undergraduate.

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
I assume the DM took the photos/video from the property's official site: https://www.provencepoiriers.com/ (also linked in post #1 in the GSD thread)
The DM article claims that Sasha turned down the opportunity to attend ivy league Yale, in order to matriculate at the University of Michigan (locale not mentioned).
Ann Arbor is the main/best-known UM campus.

Vash01

Malia Obama started college in 2017 at Harvard. Rumor is she has a British boyfriend.

Vash01

I assume the DM took the photos/video from the property's official site: https://www.provencepoiriers.com/ (also linked in post #1 in the GSD thread)

Ann Arbor is the main/best-known UM campus.

Usually when they mention the main school with the name of the state, but don't mention the location, it is the main and the biggest campus.

Examples:

U. of Texas- Austin (otherwise they will say UT at SA, etc.)
U. of California - Berkeley
U. of Michigan- Ann Arbor

and so on. I have visited all three of these campuses. I visited UM in the Fall, for a conference, and it was gorgeous.

Cachoo

I follow Barack and Michelle on Instagram. They provide a big assist in salvaging my political sanity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)