Now that Worlds is cancelled

victorskid

Happily ignoring pontificators & know-it-alls
Anyone planning to come to Ottawa for Skate Canada International will be most welcome :D Ottawa is a nice city and you might want to stay an extra day or two!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Anyone get 100% of Airbnb back?
I got 50% back only after I pleaded with the host. I went through the Resolution Center on AirBnB's website to request the money from her. I pointed out that I'd missed the 50% refund date by only 24 hours and it was only because the Canadian government didn't make an announcement until it was too late.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Well, it only took ONE HOUR and TWELVE MINUTES, but the Air Canada call center in Shanghai was able to switch my Montreal tickets to Ottawa tickets. Skate Canada International, here I come!

BTW, calling Air Canada at 5:26 am means only 5 minutes on hold. The reason no one can get through is that their computer system is so f’d up that each transaction is taking close to an hour. They will be getting a nice letter from me, via postal mail.

Anemone

I cancelled my airbnb today (my reservation was for 16th-23rd), and received an email that I will receive a full refund, but it may take up to 10 days to process and show up on my card.

TanithandBenFan

I cancelled my airbnb today (my reservation was for 16th-23rd), and received an email that I will receive a full refund, but it may take up to 10 days to process and show up on my card.
Did your host have a very flexible cancellation policy?

Anemone

Did your host have a very flexible cancellation policy?
Not sure to be honest - I didn't even contact the host directly. There was a ******** button on the airbnb & I went to that page, and then clicked on the cancel link on that page and then it was smooth sailing from there.

TanithandBenFan

Not sure to be honest - I didn't even contact the host directly. There was a ******** button on the airbnb & I went to that page, and then clicked on the cancel link on that page and then it was smooth sailing from there.
Thank you for posting that. I’ve contacted my hosts since I already did the cancellation. They better give me the additional refund and not penalize me for being prompt with my cancellation.

Weve3

If you’re stateside and you had booked w/ Delta for any portion of your flight, they’re bending over backwards to help (would have been) passengers to recover their airfare expenses. It’s certainly helpful if you are a SkyMiles member, but I know someone who is/was not and it worked out well for them, nonetheless.

Aaron MB Fan

Originally because of timing, all @fan and I were being offered from our AirBnb was a refund of the cleaning fee. I had contacted my host and she told me she was waiting to hear from me as she knew I was going there for Worlds and her sister had tickets too. She said AirBnb hadn’t transferred payment to her yet, so even though she was totally okay with me getting refunded, it was up to AirBnb to decide.

I couldn’t get through to them on the phone, so sent a message and no reply for days. But finally today they announced that trips like ours were eligible for the extenuating circumstances policy so just submitted my cancellation and am getting a full refund! 🙏🏻

PRlady

Nerdy flack
The events schedule will be the same, just a bit of time differences. Kelowna, Laval, Regina were all set up the same. They started between 11 and 1, sp's on Friday, lp's on Sat. So go in the night before and you're good. :)

Nope, and it's not looking good. The one thing I've learned from this, is I might still use airbnb's, but I certainly will be looking to see if they've changed their cancellation policy and book no further in advance than a week or two. They'd be wise to change their policies for some situations.
My family rented a big house in a Philly suburb before March 1 for Passover in April, and Airbnb refunded the full amount yesterday.

Aceon6

A few more things that you might not think to do...
  • Downgrade your phone plan if you upgraded just for Canadian coverage
  • Cancel any autotranslator apps if you got them just for Worlds
  • Stash your CAD where you will remember. Convert them when it’s convenient

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
A few more things that you might not think to do...
  • Downgrade your phone plan if you upgraded just for Canadian coverage
  • Cancel any autotranslator apps if you got them just for Worlds
  • Stash your CAD where you will remember. Convert them when it’s convenient
I converted my Canadian money on Thursday and promised myself I could take that big bouncing $130 and spend it on whatever I want for my Kindle. I can indulge myself in a lot of $2.99 books to get me through my selfless self-quarantine.

SandraMGfan

I got my hotel and food tour money refunded already
BA flights - still awaiting as I have been rejected once on Friday when the policy was still « we only give travel voucher to people who bought flights after March 3rd » but they now changed it to whovever is flying this month rather than booking date (that made no sense whatsoever to start with...) so let’s see how this one goes...

smurfy

I got a refund of my Worlds tickets on my credit card this morning. 😀
Me too - US Citi card. Actually surprised at the amount - was worried there would be 'processing fees' that would cause a big reduction.

ross_hy

Was everyone else's refund amount slightly less than what they paid? I'm assuming it's either a processing fee or currency conversion difference.

gatorinfl

Was everyone else's refund amount slightly less than what they paid? I'm assuming it's either a processing fee or currency conversion difference.
Yes, originally I paid $1250 and change and my refund was for $1200 and change. I had a $5 fee for mailed tickets and I figure the rest was currency and a transaction fee. I’m satisfied.

swissskate

Yes, I lost around 180 CHF due to currency conversion for 2 all event tickets. Evenko returned the whole amount in CAD, it‘s my greedy bank unfavourable rates and transaction fees that led to this, as well as CHF always being seen as a strong currency vs others in such situations :eek::bribe:

Skate Talker

Regarding that - the Canadian dollar has taken a major hit compared to the US dollar for a number of reasons including the oil fight between Russia and the Middle-East, US moves to obliterate their prime lending rate, etc. Therefore even if full refunds are issued in Canadian dollars they are no longer anywhere near the same once converted to another country's currency. I would apologize on behalf of Canada but this is so out of our control......

Last edited:

Aaron MB Fan

As a Canadian who paid with a Canadian credit card, my refund was 100% of the original purchase price. So any variances would be FX related.

ioana

CAD starting de-valuing against USD around March 9th or so. Thankfully, I got the nosebleed day tickets anyway and in February. It's a good thing they paid out by March 14th or before because it's getting ugly now. People who got expensive all event tickets could actually lose hundreds of $ if they didn't get their refund by now.

Aceon6

Air Canada just notified me that my flight home from Montréal is cancelled. Yup, the flight I changed last week. What are the AC people smoking?

smurfy

CAD starting de-valuing against USD around March 9th or so. Thankfully, I got the nosebleed day tickets anyway and in February. It's a good thing they paid out by March 14th or before because it's getting ugly now. People who got expensive all event tickets could actually lose hundreds of $ if they didn't get their refund by now.

I got my refund - and lost $66US on the $1600Can ticket. I was happy. And seeing the exchange rate - phew!!
I was thinking the 'fees' charged would not be refunded along with new processing fees for the refund.

kittyjake5

ISU will rebroadcast 2018 Worlds in its entirety on its youtube channel starting tomorrow.

I did not post the link with the schedule because there is an article regarding BB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information