Northern Hemisphere Flu Shot/Coronavirus (threads merged)

once_upon

New condo owner
If I was quarantined on a vacation, like the cruise ship, I wouldn't have enough of my medications to last an additional 14 days or more post the time I thought my vacation would end.

I usually take about 4 days more than the length of the vacation (max). None of them are like insulin but do require a tapering dose if discontinued and experience significant side effects

I assume a lot of the passengers are older and are taking some prescription drugs.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
To you fans of statistics, the following article will be of interest.

Another indication that we are not getting the complete story out of China...

Lacey

Is it really naive of me to ask if one is quarantined on a ship and not sick, isn't that keeping the germs in, therefore making them easier to spread? If I were on a ship, I would want out NOW.

JasperBoy

It is Autumn in Victoria
Is it really naive of me to ask if one is quarantined on a ship and not sick, isn't that keeping the germs in, therefore making them easier to spread? If I were on a ship, I would want out NOW.
I always get an upper respiratory infection on cruise ships because of the enclosed air circulation system. It is no wonder there are more victims every day, the people have no choice but to continue breathing contaminated air. The passengers should be removed from the ship ASAP before every one of them come down with the virus.

AxelAnnie

Graceful men lift lovely girls in white!
I think the problem is that they are contagious before they actually showed the illness.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Another indication that we are not getting the complete story out of China...
I've never believed that we are.

The Formula 1 Grand Prix in China has been "postponed" (read: cancelled because there's no way they're going to be able to squish in a lightning trip to Asia late in the season). The FIA are also considering the ramifications for the Vietnamese GP.

Lacey

I always get an upper respiratory infection on cruise ships because of the enclosed air circulation system. It is no wonder there are more victims every day, the people have no choice but to continue breathing contaminated air. The passengers should be removed from the ship ASAP before every one of them come down with the virus.
Thanks @JasperBoy, that's exactly what I meant.

Two of my kids's families are all going on a cruise this summer, including 7 of my 8 grandkids, thank heavens I am too claustrophobic to go, but I am so worried for them.

Ditto for airplanes. I think everyone of us should be wearing face masks and not taking them off until one is out of the destination airport.

Last edited:

hanca

Ditto for airplanes. I think everyone of us should be wearing face masks and not taking them off until one is out of the destination airport.
Only on flights? What a out in the tube? On flight at least you have your own seat and the nearest passenger is some 30-40 cm away from you. On tube, you have full body-on-body experience and the nearest passenger can be as close as 10 cm away. In fact, he/she is breathing in your face for the duration of the journey!

Zemgirl

Get your flu shot, don't travel if you're sick, and wash your hands. You'll probably survive even without a face mask.

Lacey

I'm over 70, so in US I qualify for a super duper flu shot, I am not touching the handrails on escalators (which is hard to not do if you have vertigo balance problems like me), I use hand sanitizer when I get back in car, and I wash wash wash hands and nose/mouth. If I sound crazy, all of that gives me a certain peace to keep on moving, I cannot stand to be confined.

Lacey

Two of the other grandparents in my kids' group have had horrible cancers, one had Ovarian and was in an excellent trial at a fabulous hospital where she was the only person left of a group of, I think it was, 25-30, who all dropped out except for her because the side effects were so horrible. Not only did they all drop out but all are deceased and she got "well" long before now, about 6 years later. She is still fragile, I am sure, to other germs, but so quietly happy, i don't think they dare to use the words "in remission". Her DH was just diagnosed with Melanoma and Leukemia. They carved the Melanoma out, but the Leukemia is not treatable. Poor things. Everyone appreciate your good health!

One of the US national tv networks (ABC?) was following a couple on a cruise. They were "let outside" every four days for fresh air, seriously? If they were stuck inside, no wonder the germs multiplied. The husband had a fever, it went up, down, came back, and when last heard about was taken off ship to go to hospital--they did not mention if wife was allowed off with him. He had not yet been tested for Corona. Come on people, if you are going to confine me to a ship, at least have proper testing procedures.

Who knows now what the Corona virus is going to be doing 6 months off? I am actually asking if viruses take a break for warm weather because everyone goes outside all the time in spring and summer?

Last edited:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Wearing a mask when you're not sick is not particularly effective way to prevent getting sick, and can actually increase the risk of contracting a corona-type virus because of the tendency to touch your face to adjust the mask. They work to keep others safe if you are sick, but otherwise they are a waste of money for the general public.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Two of the other grandparents in my kids' group have had horrible cancers, one had Ovarian and was in an excellent trial at a fabulous hospital where she was the only person left of a group of, I think it was, 25-30, who all dropped out except for her because the side effects were so horrible. Not only did they all drop out but all are deceased but her well before now, about 6 years later. She is still fragile, I am sure, to other germs, but so quietly happy. Her DH was just diagnosed with Melanoma and Leukemia. They got the Melanoma out, but the Leukemia is not treatable. Poor things. Everyone appreciate your good health!

One of the US national tv networks (ABC?) was following a couple on a cruise. They were "let outside" every four days for fresh air, seriously? If they were stuck inside, no wonder the germs multiplied. The husband had a fever, it went up, down, came back, and when last heard about was taken off ship to go to hospital--they did not mention if wife was allowed off with him. He had not yet been tested for Corona. Come on people, if you are going to confine me to a ship, at least have proper testing procedures.

Who knows now what the Corona virus is going to be doing 6 months off? I am actually asking if viruses take a break for warm weather because everyone goes outside all the time in spring and summer?
The virus could do what the Spanish flu did. It actually started in Fort Riley, KS in summer of 1917 and went low key and came roaring back in the fall with devastating effects. This thing could go underground in the spring and make a reappearance in the fall, much like the common cold.

This virus does a job on the lungs. The real issue will come with people who smoke or worse, vape which in itself does some damage to the lungs. These people will be very vulnerable.

The unfortunate reality is this thing will sweep the planet, if not in the next month or two, next Fall.

My dad spent the last 20 years of his life working with pandemics. I learned a lot from him since I was very interested in the topic and we spent many hours talking about. Also I got possession of his library which is a valuable resource on all things pandemic.

skategal

Bunny mama
The real issue will come with people who smoke or worse, vape which in itself does some damage to the lungs. These people will be very vulnerable.

I think we are seeing this now in China although practically no one is even talking about it.

China has a high smoking rate along with a high rate of air pollution. This has to be a factor in the morbidity and mortality of this disease.

There are many reasons this virus is hitting China hard. IMO this is one of the reasons.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I think we are seeing this now in China although practically no one is even talking about it.

China has a high smoking rate along with a high rate of air pollution. This has to be a factor in the morbidity and mortality of this disease.

There are many reasons this virus is hitting China hard. IMO this is one of the reasons.
You are correct on all counts.

the next development in this outbreak will be Hawaii. A Japanese couple who both had the virus spent almost 2 weeks in Hawaii. They stayed in hotels and ate in restaurants and I am sure they did some sightseeing. Who can say how many people they came in contact with. This could be the first outbreak in this country.

Lacey

Yes, @FGRSK8, and by the time a multiple cluster comes to fruition in the US, it will already be too late and many will already have been exposed, times--what--two weeks incubation? BOOM!

American people get their news from TV, but, try as they might to be current, it is usually after the fact reporting.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Yes, @FGRSK8, and by the time a multiple cluster comes to fruition in the US, it will already be too late and many will already have been exposed, times--what--two weeks incubation? BOOM!

American people get their news from TV, but, try as they might to be current, it is usually after the fact reporting.
That’s the reason I read the science findings from the various agencies worldwide. For example the WSJ had an excellent article on the science of why these viruses spread, the so-called RO factor. Information from such articles goes a long way in explaining why quarantine of the ship in Japan was really a bad idea.....

skatingguy

Golden Team
From what I'm reading about this case, the person was not feverish until after they returned to Japan, and that is the stage of the virus is the most contagious. The real concern might be where did this individual have contact with someone who was infected as there is no indication that they had been in China prior to going to Hawaii. Of the 8 cases now diagnosed in Canada only one is someone who hadn't recently traveled to China, and that person has been hosting a relative from Hubei province in their home.

Simone411

May the odds be ever in your favor!
Wearing a mask when you're not sick is not particularly effective way to prevent getting sick, and can actually increase the risk of contracting a corona-type virus because of the tendency to touch your face to adjust the mask. They work to keep others safe if you are sick, but otherwise they are a waste of money for the general public.
I also thought that the masks were to keep others safe if you were sick. I found out that wasn't necessarily the case when I went to get my flu shot last year from my doctor's office. That was the only place in my little town to get the flu shot.

I never had the flu before until last year. The waiting room in my doctor's office was full of people wearing masks. Some were coughing profusely and others were sneezing like crazy. I started to leave, but my doctor took me right away, and I got the flu shot. The next day, I woke up with the flu. I had never coughed so hard in my life and I nearly cracked a rib. I had to hold a pillow against my chest when I coughed so it wouldn't hurt as bad.

I called my doctor to let him know, and he agreed that I got the flu simply by being in his waiting room filled with sick people. Those masks didn't apparently work very well, and I got the flu just by being there in that small waiting room with those sick people.

I haven't gotten my flu shot this year, and I told my doctor that I would not wait around in his waiting room just to get that shot because of the sick people already there. I don't get around that much since I'm disabled, and I go to a couple of stores in town maybe twice a month. I usually wait and go on a week day when most people are at work, and I usually go during the early morning hours.

Since I'm at home most of the time and not around a lot of people, I've been doing okay. Mask or no mask, I still got the flu from going to my doctor's office and sitting in the waiting room.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m so glad the pharmacists are allowed to give the flu shot where we live. If there is a long line, you can just pop back again another time. Easy breezy.

I’m convinced people get sicker just by waiting around in doctors offices.

(((hugs)))) @Simone411

Simone411

May the odds be ever in your favor!
I’m so glad the pharmacists are allowed to give the flu shot where we live. If there is a long line, you can just pop back again another time. Easy breezy.

I’m convinced people get sicker just by waiting around in doctors offices.

(((hugs)))) @Simone411
And that's precisely the point. You would think that the pharmacy I use would be allowed to give the flu shot. I would definitely get one there if that were the case.

My doctor did agree about the waiting room because of it being so small. All I know to do is what I'm doing now. It certainly would be nice if doctors still made house calls. I can actually remember doctors making house calls, and a doctor came to see me at home when I was around 7 years old. That was in 1965.

Lacey

Let's talk about the masks.

I always thought they were for NOT SICK people to prevent themselves from getting flu/whatever. Protection.

Now I am reading here that they are for ALREADY SICK people to prevent their germs from spreading out.

Huh???

Witness the 4Cs Skating Competition from Japan last week which we could watch on TV. Many in the audience wore masks. (And were people tested going in, surely they never would have been allowed in???) I thought it was to prevent people from getting germs from the people sitting around them, and since they might have been tested, then this was their right to be overkilling protection? I believe it has been common for Japanese to wear masks all the time previously.

AREN'T THE SUMMER OLYMPICS IN JAPAN THIS SUMMER??? Not to start a rumor, but what a mess that could be, could the Os be cancelled or hopefully if necessary, at least moved?

Masks are SOLD OUT here in the US in every common drugstore, CVS, Rite Aid--wherever.

I did find some masks in a good, old fashioned private drugstore. They had run out and found a new supplier. I am not planning on using them at all--even preventatively--unless Corona hits the US full steam ahead.

But someone please settle the question of who should wear them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information