Northern Hemisphere Flu Shot/Coronavirus (threads merged)

once_upon

New condo owner
Sorry, but that is a reasonable fear. You have no idea who is working in that restaurant, who is recently hired and where they came from and when.

The virus is from China. It is out of control there, and can easily be imported. If you want to help your local Chinese restaurant.......give them $40.00 and avoid the take out.

I am old enough to remember being quarantined in my house in the 1950's for measles. It was no joke. Big sign on all the doors. No one in or out. Those of you who have lived only in the vaccination age have no idea the damage that can be done when a disease spreads out of control.

My primary care physician has substituted a fist pump rather than a handshake. Yes because of the virus. I am having surgery next week. It is arthroscopic in a small surgery center in Santa Rosa. Were it in a large hospital in San Francisco, I would put up with the acute pain until things stabilize.

Sometimes it is good to deal with facts rather than feelings.
Whoa, how racist can you be?
The current flu season and the flu is a greater risk to you. By your fellow Americans.

mag

It is much like what happened with Ebola virus. Remember how there was fear everywhere, people being quarantined... until after the midterm elections and then it mysteriously all went away :confused:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
The current flu season and the flu is a greater risk to you. By your fellow Americans.
Sarcasm on/. You don’t understand, but one of the strains of the flu is B/Victoria from Australia. So you better watch those Australians, and heavens sake, stay away from those bloomin onions, they could be flu carriers! /sarcasm off.

AxelAnnie

Graceful men lift lovely girls in white!
PM
Surprisingly...you missed my point. Up thread was a report that revenue's in Chinese restaurants had dropped since the virus broke out in China.

Silly me. I thought the drop in revenue just might be because people were leery of eating there because of the virus....kind of like don't go to McDonalds if a batch of bad meat is being recalled. And this is when I got damn stupid. I thought people might be interesting in donating to business owners who were being hurt by lost revenue.

Not sure how that took a racist turn in somebody's mind.

Japanfan

Silly me. I thought the drop in revenue just might be because people were leery of eating there because of the virus....kind of like don't go to McDonalds if a batch of bad meat is being recalled.
If a batch of bad meat is being recalled, restaurants other than McDonalds could be at risk of mistakenly serving it as well.

And, I assume you do know that Chinese people - which appears to be your focus - go to non-Chinese restaurants? And that non-Chinese people may be carrying the virus?

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
Staff member
I am as skeptical of articles that say the concern is overblown as of the ones that are promoting outsize fear, but I did look at the WHO listing of cases today, and this days-old article's numbers are relatively on track. Per the WHO's listings, there are currently around 300 confirmed cases outside of China, including the cruise ship.

I'm not familiar with Euronews - tried to look them up, and on a fact check website it came up as slightly left-leaning but high on fact-checking/credibility.

FWIW, I also looked up Marketwatch, and they came up slightly more biased to the right, but also high on fact-checking.

ETA: this resource from within China, but run and researched primarily by ex-pats has really good information about what's going on there. It is not primarily a news outlet and doesn't show up on the fact-check website.

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

A friend is on Holland America’s cruise ship MS Westerdam. They made it to one port and then all the scheduled ports in Taiwan, the Philippines, and Japan refused to let them dock. Earlier today it was announced that they would disembark in Bangkok on February 13 but now permission to dock has been denied. Nobody on board has been reported as having the virus, and nobody is quarantined.

Another friend and her husband are on the Caribbean Princess. It was supposed to be a 14-night cruise but there is an outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness. It's not the coronavirus, but five of their ports wouldn't let the ship dock. The Captain decided to cut the cruise short and head back to Florida. She said about 130 out of over 3,000 passengers/crew were sick. Paper (newsletters, brochures, puzzles, etc.) has disappeared, and passengers aren't allowed to serve themselves at the buffet or even put condiments on hot dogs and hamburgers.

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
Who doesn't go to McDonald's when they've announced a general meat recall? I'm sorry but that's just weird. Just picking some random restaurant chain to boycott based on absolutely nothing. It doesn't even make sense given that McDonald's has all its own suppliers and they are unlikely to be the same ones as sell consumer meat in the grocery.

maatTheViking

Given that I know of an illegal British Bacon van in my area where people buy parallel imported meat products that the USDA for some reason has outlawed, I doubt the dead birds has anything to with the virus, and more with someone taking local foods into the US.

(I had two brits on my team, and apparently the bacon van was a thing)

In regards to the coronavirus, I talked to an epidemiologist friend of mine, and his professional opinion was that all data points to the virus being highly transmittable, and no more dangerous than the flu, maybe even less. His main argument was that many people get symptoms which are very mild, and thus the number of infected people are probably higher, while the number of fatalities is accurate. He also said the nature of isolating patients could artificially increase the fatality, as people might not get proper care or enough food.

His main advice was only to worry if you worry about the flu (immune-compromised, elderly, babies), and wash hands a lot. It appears to not be airborne, but transmitted with touch.

Aceon6

Losing patience
Our local news had a feature on the impact on Chinese restaurants. One of the most well known in Boston’s Chinatown was down 80% at lunch and had less than half the normal turnout for their awesome dim sum. The mayor and other high ranking city officials are eating in Chinatown often.

dinakt

This discussion has inspired me to get a Chinese takeout:) I am happy to report that the restaurant was doing brisk business.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
COVID-19 is the name? Sounds like a name for a new perfume like Chanel #5 or for a cleaner, like Formula 409, or possibly a secret agent.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Our local news had a feature on the impact on Chinese restaurants. One of the most well known in Boston’s Chinatown was down 80% at lunch and had less than half the normal turnout for their awesome dim sum. The mayor and other high ranking city officials are eating in Chinatown often.
We just got back from Mohegan Sun and I saw the same story. As I said earlier, our local Chinese eatery had a low turnout the last time we were there a week ago Monday. We are going down Monday for lunch because I would hate to see them close over this outrageous stupidity.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 150
Seems Japan is failing in avoiding the epidemic of COVIT-19 INSIDE of the country. I'm so much scared of the news announced yesterday. (I live in Japan.) I have three family members who have chronicle disease with their respiratory organs. :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information