No live audience at 2022 Canadians

skategal

Bunny mama
So we are agreeing that if need be, there is still the possibility of any people questionable about CV to go get a rapid test in Ontario, yes? And if people are willing to shell out some money, they are able to get a PCR test rather than what you wrote in your first post? ;)

I would think this board would be all about getting a (rapid) test to verify CV negative if a skater or team has just recently dealt with it. Because you know, keeping everyone safe and not having long-term side effects and all of that. And keeping everyone else 'healthy' at the competition so they can go to the Olympics.
You can’t get rapid tests in Canada unless you have symptoms of CV.

You get them from Public Health.

They aren’t sold in pharmacies and all the online stores are sold out.

A few months ago rapid tests were freely available to the public in various ways but since Omicron came they need to be reserved for the symptomatic.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
And if people are willing to shell out some money, they are able to get a PCR test rather than what you wrote in your first post? ;)
Where I live in Canada, unless I'm a health care worker, I CANNOT get a PCR test - free, paid, or otherwise. It is simply not an option at this time.
I can get a rapid test, if I can find one. But not a PCR.

I interpreted James & Radford's statement to mean they haven't tested again, not that they keep testing positive. But according to guidelines, if they are 10 days past infection and symptom-free, they aren't required to test again.

mackiecat

Right now in Toronto it is $349 + GST for a time guarantee private PCR test. Rapid tests are very difficult to buy. $40 to get done in pharmacy in Ontario if you can get an appointment and not for symptomatic.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Not correct from what I have read, but show me if I'm wrong. You can get a PCR test from my understanding but it may cost big $$$, so it's not a case of not being able to get one at all. Also, I believe there are still rapid tests available which is at least something.. even if there's some question on how accurate they are with omicron.

Rapid tests in the States are constantly wiped out and lines for PCR in big cities may take 3-4 hours.
I travelled from Ottawa on the 20th. My nephew about a week later. We both got tested at a private clinic which is where you have to get tests for travel. They are currently no longer booking PCR testing:
You have to be travelling to use these places.
I also know from experience with others in Ottawa you can't just walk in anywhere and get tested. And that was before the big shortage.

I just mailed a box full of rapid tests to my parents and kids in Ottawa because it is impossible to find rapid tests there to buy for yourself. Sent some to sister in Australia as well.

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
Okay, just so I understand that everyone here is all in the same line of thinking: now that it's a 5 day quarantine in Canada (or maybe more specifically Ontario, correct me if I'm wrong), everyone would be fine with a skater having first shown symptoms 6 days before arriving to the event, not getting tested at all (as difficult or impossible as it may be), and just showing up to the arena to compete? This is a much different tune than I read for the last few weeks in the US Nationals threads (not from the same posters, I just mean the vibe).

I know James and Radford have been out longer, but just asking this hypothetical. It seems like a very risky road to have known recent cases with no assurance of their current status less than a month before the Olympics.

skategal

Bunny mama
It’s kind of irrelevant if we are okay with it or not.

There’s not a darn thing we can do about it.

I think some people in other Canadian Nationals thread have indicated that it’s risky to have Nationals.

There are no easy answers here.

Lil Sarah

Okay, just so I understand that everyone here is all in the same line of thinking: now that it's a 5 day quarantine in Canada (or maybe more specifically Ontario, correct me if I'm wrong), everyone would be fine with a skater having first shown symptoms 6 days before arriving to the event, not getting tested at all (as difficult or impossible as it may be), and just showing up to the arena to compete? This is a much different tune than I read for the last few weeks in the US Nationals threads.

I know James and Radford have been out longer, but just asking this hypothetical. It seems like a very risky road to have known recent cases with no assurance of their current status less than a month before the Olympics.

I would say most people would NOT be okay with this. Many aren't sure about the 5 day quarantine and nobody is happy that it is impossible to get PCR tests, or even the less-trustworthy Rapid Tests. We're just saying (I think) that this is the current situation at least in Ontario.

In the past when tests were more available and private labs were also more available, the IIHF was able to pay for PCR testing in Alberta for all of the hockey players (last World Juniors). I would totally prefer it they could force the the athletes to take PCR tests before the competition but it really isn't possible at this moment in Ontario (and maybe in other provinces too?)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Okay, just so I understand that everyone here is all in the same line of thinking: now that it's a 5 day quarantine in Canada (or maybe more specifically Ontario, correct me if I'm wrong), everyone would be fine with a skater having first shown symptoms 6 days before arriving to the event, not getting tested at all (as difficult or impossible as it may be), and just showing up to the arena to compete? This is a much different tune than I read for the last few weeks in the US Nationals threads.

I was only commenting on the availability of testing.

I would be uncomfortable with that situation but if those are the actual rules/laws currently in place I don't know there is anything that can be done? They 5 day quarantine was looked at here in response to the CDC move but in the end they only agreed to lower it to 7 days. I personally know a handful of people who had day 5 tests turn out negative only to show up positive on day 7.

mackiecat

Here is the difference-
US- held in a city With no mask or vaccine mandates
skaters are at a hotel where staff do not need to wear masks ( and posters have stated aren’t wearing masks)
Skaters, official and judges don’t need to be vaccinated but need to be PCR tested which is available and free
-a few days before the event the audience now needs a vaccine or a neg test ( with in 72 hours- which are readily available in the area)

canada- all accredited must be fully vaccinated and masked
- held in a province ( really country) with stringent mask and vaccine requirement
heled in a city that is effectively in a lockdown-no indoor dining, reduced capacity in all other areas. ( max 5 people are even allowed at gatherings in private residences)
no spectators ( even when spectators were allowed, no food or drinks were allowed in building -so must be masked entire time)
even to train in Ontario or Quebec, need to be fully vaccinated.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Please, how many of you judged Ashley Cain-Gribble as "must be unvaccinated because she's in Texas" last summer before she told everyone she was double-vaxxed after her IG post in the hospital? The rationalizing here about what makes Canada soooo much better than the US (especially Vegas, Nashville, and any city or state not in perpetual lockdown) is nauseating.

mackiecat

Please, how many of you judged Ashley Cain-Gribble as "must be unvaccinated because she's in Texas" last summer before she told everyone she was double-vaxxed after her IG post in the hospital? The rationalizing here about what makes Canada soooo much better than the US (especially Vegas, Nashville, and any city or state not in perpetual lockdown) is nauseating.
I never assumed that. All I’m saying is US skating does not have a vaccine mandate, Skate Canada does for all accredited people ( skaters, judges and volunteers)

Skate Talker

On a more relevant note, are there any FSUers in the US who use/have used a VPN to watch cbc.ca or CBC gem? I'm willing to shell out the $$ for a good VPN so I can watch the competition live, but I'm curious if anyone already knows of a reliable VPN that is confirmed to work with CBC.

Super bummed that I can't be there in person, but c'est la vie.
From what I am reading anyone anywhere in the world with internet access should be able to watch full live action via Skate Canada's Daily Motion site. Ted Barton tweet apparently says details are available at IFS

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Fwiw I constantly forget she added a Gribble to her name nevermind where she actually lives :rolleyes:
I also don't see how this conversation was a Canada is soooo much better than the US. I thought it was about lack of testing available to which an American poster seemed to challenge and want others to compare the two Nationals. So someone did.

eta.... but since the US is better in testing supply how about shipping some north of the border for Canadian Nationals. We don't have that many skaters.

DaveRocks

Eh?
Okay, just so I understand that everyone here is all in the same line of thinking...
?? I was simply pointing out that testing availability is in fact very different in Ontario than the USA.
From what I am reading anyone anywhere in the world with internet access should be able to watch full live action via Skate Canada's Daily Motion site. Ted Barton tweet apparently says details are available at IFS
That would be fantastic, but I thought I had read it was just the juniors that will be on Daily Motion. But I hope I'm wrong! I'll investigate further.

Dobre

I am sorry to hear about James & Radford.

Is there a link to Canada's selection criteria somewhere? How unlikely do people think it would be that a petition onto the team might be accepted?

I'm thinking there is at least some level of concern there that if Walsh & Michaud win Canadian Nationals, with Moore-Towers & Marinaro in second; then a petition might be denied.

Otherwise, why the push to try to compete mere days after a return to the ice? (As it could go very badly if James & Radford are not prepared or are lacking stamina/the ability to get through a free skate).

Overall, it's frustrating because of course one would like to see a head-to-head at Nationals with all of the players ready to peak.

Last edited:

Skate Talker

My feeling is that Skate Canada will name James/Radford and Moore-Towers/Marinaro to the Olympic team regardless of Canadians. This is not completely without precedent but also these are unprecedented circumstances so they are more likely to look at other factors other than just Nationals participation and/or placement.

If Skate Canada is allowed to they should also name 2 other teams as substitutes because NO ONE knows who may or may not be healthy or run into protocols that could prevent them from participating at the last minute.

DaveRocks

Eh?
OK -- just did a bit more research. Thanks so much for pointing me to IFS!

Although the Skate Canada website says:
2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships senior competitions will be live streamed on CBC.CA and CBC Gem as well as aired on broadcast television. Junior and Novice Competitions will be live streamed here on the event page and on Skate Canada’s DailyMotion page.

IFS says:
The junior and senior competitions will be live streamed on the Skate Canada website (available worldwide — link below) and on the CBC.ca and CBC Gem networks. Portions of the senior competition will air on the CBC television network on Sat., Jan. 8 and Sun. Jan. 9.
Why am I not surprised that Skate Canada hasn't updated their website yet? :lol:

Thanks again, Skate Talker.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It sure is an odd choice, but virtually nobody is eligible for a PCR test in Ottawa at this time. That is probably the reason.
Even here in the US where anyone can get one, people are being actively encouraged not to unless they have symptoms because the supply is getting smaller.
Unless the majority of this board suddenly is okay with that idea? I promise you if I said I had CV and I felt fine after 5 days and was talking about taking a trip, the replies would not be the same ;)
I don't think that is James/Radford's situation though. IIRC they had CV earlier and it can take a while to get a negative test once you get CV even though you aren't contagious.

Also, the CDC has said vaccinated people without symptoms only have to quarantine for 5 days. I think it's different in Canada but I don't live in Canada so if I knew a vaccinated person without symptoms had a positive test and quarantined for the required 5 days, I would be okay with them leaving the house to do things. Including possibly coming to a competition. As long as they wore masks EVERYWHERE. (Which also the recommendation.) And maybe did no socializing.

I never assumed that. All I’m saying is US skating does not have a vaccine mandate, Skate Canada does for all accredited people ( skaters, judges and volunteers)
I believe volunteers at Nationals do have to be vaccinated AND have to have a negative PCR test. No idea about the officials. The skaters don't though. Just negative tests for them.

mackiecat

Even here in the US where anyone can get one, people are being actively encouraged not to unless they have symptoms because the supply is getting smaller.

I don't think that is James/Radford's situation though. IIRC they had CV earlier and it can take a while to get a negative test once you get CV even though you aren't contagious.

Also, the CDC has said vaccinated people without symptoms only have to quarantine for 5 days. I think it's different in Canada but I don't live in Canada so if I knew a vaccinated person without symptoms had a positive test and quarantined for the required 5 days, I would be okay with them leaving the house to do things. Including possibly coming to a competition. As long as they wore masks EVERYWHERE. (Which also the recommendation.) And maybe did no socializing.

I believe volunteers at Nationals do have to be vaccinated AND have to have a negative PCR test. No idea about the officials. The skaters don't though. Just negative tests for them.
US officials do not need vaccine, just neg test for this comp. nothing for the prior qualifying comps. All Ontario officials had to be vaccinate in order to do any competition or test session In Ontario. All Challenge and National officials needed to be vaccinate. Plus you can not fly or take train without vaccine in Canada.

mackiecat

Have you even seen the size of the audience today? If someone has a problem with the audience member sitting unmasked they can certainly move.
Well there are two other people in this picture. One in a cloth mask. If one of them is positive, the other can be infected within 20 minutes.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Guys, we are 22 months into this mess and every thread seems to have a mask police comment. It’s required per USFS policy. No one has corrected her as Nashville isn’t a big masking city. Someone will, eventually. And choice of mask is just that, a choice.

tony

But it just doesn't fcuking glide
I don't think taking photos of someone maskless is really productive either, and in true 'omg look Twitter!' fashion, I'd say it's pretty likely that this person didn't report anything.

Now, let's hope the FSU members who are needing to eat at some point (because of the long days they discussed) aren't part of the photo police evidence along with a narrative of being unmasked for X minutes ;)

And (part sarcastic, part trying to lighten this up): last time I checked, this is a thread about Canadian Nationals. Nashville is in the USA!

Karen-W

Let me ask... is the point of posting in here "thank goodness we don't have an audience at Canadian Nats" really about keeping everyone as safe as possible or is it just a tacit admission that if there was an audience at Canadians then surely at least one or two random pics of audience members maskless at some point would surface? I really have a hard time believing that Canadians are just that much more mask compliant than Americans attending an event that has a "masks required" policy, even in an area that doesn't have any state or countywide mask mandates.

mackiecat

Let me ask... is the point of posting in here "thank goodness we don't have an audience at Canadian Nats" really about keeping everyone as safe as possible or is it just a tacit admission that if there was an audience at Canadians then surely at least one or two random pics of audience members maskless at some point would surface? I really have a hard time believing that Canadians are just that much more mask compliant than Americans attending an event that has a "masks required" policy, even in an area that doesn't have any state or countywide mask mandates.
The first. However in ontario, just prior to most recent lockdown ( as in a few weeks ago), no food or drink was allowed in stadiums so not allowed to be maskless at all.

Well for compliance comparison-17 out of 6,600 fans at a recent Raptor’s game were ejected for not wearing a mask. How does that compliance meet with US based basketball games?

Last edited:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I haven’t seen anyone saying this.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Yes, they are more compliant and if you forget to put your mask back over your nose after a drink the staff will come and remind you, as witnessed at Skate Canada. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information