News & Experiences continued

sk8pics

I saw this morning that you can get the new booster whether you’ve had one or two boosters already. I will discuss it with my doctor next month.

Dobre

Yes, as long as you are two months out from your last booster, you can get the new omicron-specific one.

Judy

New NACI guidelines came this week that recommends 168 days between doses of Covid vaccine and also waiting 168 days from a Covid infection and getting a Covid vaccine.
Ok thanks. I assumed that but hadn’t read anything yet. I got the 2nd booster in July but I’m not at high risk of being exposed either.

Louis

Private citizen
Hopefully these boosters work a bit better than the last boosters....

I had hoped we were past the point of "live and let live" with regard to one's personal choices on C19 protection, but sadly I'm skeptical given that some U.S. universities and other liberal bastions are already requiring boosters that aren't even available. It's a good reminder to the freedom-minded among us that we need to continue to single-issue vote against social segregation, discrimination on C19 vaccine status, and any kind of continued C19 restrictions.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Hopefully these boosters work a bit better than the last boosters....

I had hoped we were past the point of "live and let live" with regard to one's personal choices on C19 protection, but sadly I'm skeptical given that some U.S. universities and other liberal bastions are already requiring boosters that aren't even available. It's a good reminder to the freedom-minded among us that we need to continue to single-issue vote against social segregation, discrimination on C19 vaccine status, and any kind of continued C19 restrictions.
Links? I’ve had no boosters and never been stopped but I’m not a college student.

Dobre

Has anyone seen any guidance on distance from Covid infection for the booster in the US?
The article I posted on the previous page--post #20,819--discusses that possibility. I don't remember exactly what it says, except I think it mentions that if you have been infected within the past two months, you may wish to get your booster a bit later. Anyway, it does address the question.

jeffisjeff

While 2 months is the minimum time to wait since the previous booster, I've read in a few articles that experts are recommending longer, sometimes they say 3 months and other times 4-6 months. I got my second booster at the start of April (I think), so I am now 5 months out. I think I will get the new booster by the end of September since I travel in mid-October, then there is Thanksgiving, when all my students go home for the week and then bring back all kinds of germs and diseases, and then they repeat that process in mid-January. So, for me mid-October through January is when I want my maximum immunity.

once_upon

Enough
We got out 2nd booster as soon as it became available. End of March I think.

I'm going to get this booster as soon as my pharmacy has it in stock. A good percentage of my church congregation has Covid as of this morning and my son, dil and granddaughter had it a week ago. It's pretty rampant in my community right now.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Links? I’ve had no boosters and never been stopped but I’m not a college student.
The Community colleges in CA require you to be vaccinated and get all the boosters you are eligible for. So not ones that don't exist yet. And there are exceptions for medical reasons and religious reasons. But you have to have them on file. You can't just declare it when questioned.

All of them require this for students, staff, and professors. But some require it for everyone who comes on campus.

That's all I got and it's not "requiring boosters that haven't been approved yet."

ETA I have an appointment for my annual physical in 2 weeks so I will probably get my booster then even if I'd rather wait another month to be 6 months out.

Last edited:

once_upon

Enough
Personally I don't see it as any different than all the other vaccines required for schools/colleges/some workplaces. Kids need so many vaccines to attend school. College students the same. At least when my kids were in college.

The difference now? It was politicized.

People used to feel a responsibility to their fellow man/woman. A large percentage of the population/parents did not claim to be controlled by the government when polio vaccines rolled out. There were long lines of kids waiting to recieve their immunizations.

My good friends has a brother/sil who are Trump people. Before March 2020, they wore masks quite religiously during influenza season, everywhere. They routinely got/get flu "shots". March 18, 2020 - masks off never to be worn again. They wouldn't get "vaccinated". But flu "shots" are different. One's a shot and one's a vaccine. These are not uneducated people. They are Trump people.

Their son is 3 years from full retirement from services (he is a Navy Seal). He is not re-upping. He's not uneducated, he's Trump people.

Susan1

I forgot this Thursday. Hardly anybody is wearing masks, they are buy one get one box 50% off at Walgreen's. They don't talk about it on the news. However, almost all of the schools are back in session now, so.....

once_upon

Enough
But it can still be a surge - just not like the last two years. I would say we will be seeing more cases than the summer. Unless people continue to vaccinate.
I've heard too many people either say
  • I'm not getting any more boosters, enough is enough
  • I've had covid and the original vaccines. I'm immune
  • still those who won't vaccinate because they have robust immune systems. I take zinc, vitamin C, and take care of myself
  • I've never had the flu and never got a flu shot
I'm not starting now

And a bunch of other bull

quartz

scratching at the light
My daughters nursing home is having the worst outbreak since this whole thing started. 100 out of the 160 residents are infected and 5 have died. These are the first deaths they have had as well. Fully vaccinated and boosted.
Public health in our area has just announced that if you have Covid, but have no symptoms, you don't have to isolate and can carry on and about as usual. Schools are starting back tomorrow and no mask mandates for the first time, except for Western University which still has a partial masking policy.

sk8pics

I had to text my piano teacher yesterday and added a request that she let me know before I get there if she's been exposed to covid, so that I can choose for myself whether to come anyway. She gave me a thumbs up, so hopefully she really will. Some days I probably would come, but if I'm being extra careful because of something coming up (like my surgery on October 6) I probably wouldn't, but I want to choose for myself. Last time I was there she'd taken that choice away from me. Just like she took the choice away from everyone who flew back from Europe with her at the end of June, when she knew she had covid. Yes, I'm still annoyed.

Susan1

That might be good news, except that Monday was a holiday and they wouldn't have done any testing.

Funny, the last two times I was in Kroger, I saw two different old ladies with their masks around their chins. Helpful.

Dai's Blues for Klook

It's a good reminder to the freedom-minded among us that we need to continue to single-issue vote against social segregation, discrimination on C19 vaccine status, and any kind of continued C19 restrictions.
Just recently I saw 🕳️ fans saying that figure skating "oppression" is like apartheid. I wonder if this or that is the worse take. Surely people taking precautions against death being compared to "social segregation" and "discrimination" is up there?

Louis

Private citizen
Almost 100% masking here in Japan inside and outside in 30 degree heat and no one is throwing hissy fits about it. Amazing what a culture of consideration can be like.

Where we agree is that masking is a cultural choice. You say culture of consideration (to whom - certainly not the deaf or hard of hearing, among others); I say culture of at times dangerous repression of the individual, conformity at all costs, distrust, and adherence to ridiculous overengineered rules.

I fully respect Japan's ability to do whatever it wants. It's a lovely country to visit (or it used to be), but I have no desire to ever live like the Japanese or adopt Japanese culture or ways of living. I'm thankful to live in a country where virtually no one (< 1%) chooses to wear a mask, and where politicians of the ruling party have made it clear that mandatory masking won't be coming back, no matter what.

skategal

Bunny mama
My DH just got back from a work trip to London, Hamburg and Brussels.

He wore a mask in crowded spaces as he was the only one from his organization there and he was working 12 hour days on negotiating business deals and could not be sick.

The only place he got push back and questioned for wearing a mask (not by colleagues but by restaurant staff, store staff and on public transit) was in London.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
Where we agree is that masking is a cultural choice. You say culture of consideration (to whom - certainly not the deaf or hard of hearing, among others); I say culture of at times dangerous repression of the individual, conformity at all costs, distrust, and adherence to ridiculous overengineered rules.

I fully respect Japan's ability to do whatever it wants. It's a lovely country to visit (or it used to be), but I have no desire to ever live like the Japanese or adopt Japanese culture or ways of living. I'm thankful to live in a country where virtually no one (< 1%) chooses to wear a mask, and where politicians of the ruling party have made it clear that mandatory masking won't be coming back, no matter what.
I see my post triggered you despite no mention of you at all. I guess these are the times we live in when having consideration for others is a bad thing, where being kind to others gets you accused of virtue signalling as if having virtue is not something we are supposed to possess.

I now realise that it seems you are also an advocate for deaf people which I must have missed before in all your posts about how masks are the greatest injustice ever known to man. :shuffle:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information