News & Experiences continued

alexikeguchi

The polio virus has now been found in seven different wastewater samples in two adjacent counties north of New York City, health officials said.

So far, only one person has tested positive for polio — an unvaccinated adult in Rockland County who suffered paralysis.
Sadly, that distribution doesn't surprise me. There is a huge ultra-Orthodox community in Rockland and Orange counties, and that is a group that has historically been very vaccine resistant long before COVID appeared. Many of the children attend private religious schools as well, so there is likely less enforcement of vaccine requirements.

once_upon

Enough
I'm so angry that a disproven (numerous times), "research" study of 8 or 9 participants conveniently selected from the researchers child circle of friends, designed to promote the researchers field of study and potential treatment (for major profit) was globbed onto by a small subset of parents wishing for an answer to autism.

I get that autism was/is on the rise and parents want something to blame, bit isn't a better explanation that we have better diagnostic tools, better recognition by teachers/healthcare providers? Plus there are a ton of environmental exposures.

Vaccines people!

once_upon

Enough
We've decided I'm staying home for the next 10 days to hopefully avoid getting Covid and have no other health issues that will prevent cancelation of surgery again. Although I have some allergy type symptoms now.

Doing covid tests since Friday.

Judy

I'm so angry that a disproven (numerous times), "research" study of 8 or 9 participants conveniently selected from the researchers child circle of friends, designed to promote the researchers field of study and potential treatment (for major profit) was globbed onto by a small subset of parents wishing for an answer to autism.

I get that autism was/is on the rise and parents want something to blame, bit isn't a better explanation that we have better diagnostic tools, better recognition by teachers/healthcare providers? Plus there are a ton of environmental exposures.

Vaccines people!
I grew up with my autistic sister who is now 60. Back then autism wasn’t even a word or recognized. She’s pretty high functioning but as caregivers (my parents have passed) it iis a big stress for us. It’s like dealing with an adult/child at times.

It’s just genes. There is really nobody to blame.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We've decided I'm staying home for the next 10 days to hopefully avoid getting Covid and have no other health issues that will prevent cancelation of surgery again. Although I have some allergy type symptoms now.

I've been doing the same so I make it to my big event on Sat-Sun.

Judy

Wishing you the best on your surgery.

manhn

I visited the public library for the first time since YKW. I don't miss reading, but I do miss watching dvds. I have been relying on Netflix but Netflix Canada kinda sucks when it comes to "new" releases.

So, I borrowed three dvds today: Minari, Shang-Chi and Wonder Woman 1984 (that just got onto Netflix but the dvd has extra features--btw, that flick is quite underrated, IMO). Can't wait to be "current"!

Judy

I visited the public library for the first time since YKW. I don't miss reading, but I do miss watching dvds. I have been relying on Netflix but Netflix Canada kinda sucks when it comes to "new" releases.

So, I borrowed three dvds today: Minari, Shang-Chi and Wonder Woman 1984 (that just got onto Netflix but the dvd has extra features--btw, that flick is quite underrated, IMO). Can't wait to be "current"!
I miss movie rentals!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

Disney+ is much better than Netflix these days. :shuffle:

Susan1

I forgot do this yesterday (and last week even)

I don't even have to use tinyurl anymore.

skatfan

For those with library cards, check to see of you can get Kanopy - it has movies and TV series. Good international and independent movies for free.

Dobre

Fauci Says He Will Step Down in December to Pursue His ‘Next Chapter’​

Thank you, Dr. Fauci, for being a truthful voice and a strong human being in the midst of a real-world crisis and in the face of tremendous pressure from the Trump government to bury the facts.

Susan1

I forgot it was Thursday report day till I got an email from my cousin that his wife has covid again. And it's their anniversary. They won't be doing anything, even all weekend, while she quarantines. (Then he'll probably get it. He works from home - computer "solutions" so he also travels in his territory for work. Their sons are home from Ohio U. for the summer too, so.......sheesh.) All vaxed. I don't know if 19 year olds can get the boosters, but Tim and Tina did. The first time they all had it was November 2020.

Last edited:

Dobre

A nice post by journalist, Sam Stein, about Dr. Fauci:

"He became a lightning rod during Covid. But I first started covering Fauci closely during Ebola. And two things stood out. 1. He treated patients himself. 2. He made it point to try and de-stigmatize the patient. His hug of Nina Pham was an indelible image of that scary moment."

A link to the post and a photo of the hug is here:

once_upon

Enough
People who hate Fauci or in some cases want kill him and his family, have no idea how he has affected the lives of millions, maybe billions of people since 1968.
1968!

The Trumpers and anti-vax people and their last two years of demonizing him. None of them have contributed an iota of good to humankind like Dr. Fauci.

Last edited:

Debbie S

My mom tested positive this week. My dad had cold symptoms last week, so we assume he had Covid and gave it to her (he refused to test b/c he insisted he was fine, sigh). My mom had a fever for 2 days (but didn't test positive until the 2nd day), some coughing and a sore throat, but is better today (day 3, positive test was Wed). I had dinner at their place on Sunday night but I tested negative yesterday and today. Hoping I stay negative b/c I have a dentist appt next Friday that I don't want to have to reschedule.

I'm not sure what to do about a booster. It sounds like the bivalent booster will be available after Labor Day, and I want to get it as soon as I can, but if it's only going to last 4 months, I'd want to wait until early/mid Oct, since I'm going to Nats and possibly 4CC.

flyingsit

Wednesday’s episode of the In the Bubble podcast featured Dr. Fauci and they discussed timing of new boosters, so you might want to listen to it.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
My mom tested positive this week. My dad had cold symptoms last week, so we assume he had Covid and gave it to her (he refused to test b/c he insisted he was fine, sigh). My mom had a fever for 2 days (but didn't test positive until the 2nd day), some coughing and a sore throat, but is better today (day 3, positive test was Wed). I had dinner at their place on Sunday night but I tested negative yesterday and today. Hoping I stay negative b/c I have a dentist appt next Friday that I don't want to have to reschedule.

I'm not sure what to do about a booster. It sounds like the bivalent booster will be available after Labor Day, and I want to get it as soon as I can, but if it's only going to last 4 months, I'd want to wait until early/mid Oct, since I'm going to Nats and possibly 4CC.
Yeah I don’t plan on getting the new booster until early December so I’ll be in better shape for Nats. I’m glad I got the second booster in July to hopefully hold me through the fall and Skate America.

million$momma

I forgot it was Thursday report day till I got an email from my cousin that his wife has covid again. And it's their anniversary. They won't be doing anything, even all weekend, while she quarantines. (Then he'll probably get it. He works from home - computer "solutions" so he also travels in his territory for work. Their sons are home from Ohio U. for the summer too, so.......sheesh.) All vaxed. I don't know if 19 year olds can get the boosters, but Tim and Tina did. The first time they all had it was November 2020.

My 18 year old has had 2 booster shots so far (Canada), so I am guessing that the 19 year old would have had the opportunity. My 17 year old has only been allowed 1 so far. Hopefully they will allow high schoolers a second booster before cold and flu season hits!

once_upon

Enough
I'm anticipating that a 3rd booster will be recommended sometime around November.

We see a need for a new flu shot yearly because the virus mutates. Covid being a novel virus, in my estimation will continue to rapidly mutate for st another two or three years, until it becomes a bit more predictable.

Of course this is just my thought. I'm not an epidemiology or genome expert. Just my assumption

Susan1

My 18 year old has had 2 booster shots so far (Canada), so I am guessing that the 19 year old would have had the opportunity. My 17 year old has only been allowed 1 so far. Hopefully they will allow high schoolers a second booster before cold and flu season hits!
I didn't ask. I think they are back at Ohio University now, where masks are still required in classrooms and indoor public spaces this year. They will be 20 in October. Tim will tell me if anybody else in his family gets "it". I'll try to remember to ask about boosters then. They've also got 2 married daughters, who are not twins. Only one still lived with them the last time, and she got it too.

million$momma

We have a shortage of care workers in hospitals/residential facilities/homecare... A local college is offering free PSW (personal support worker) courses/certification. What an amazing opportunity for those who might not be able to afford college! Pretty much a guaranteed job upon graduation.

Dobre

"On Wednesday, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized both the Moderna’s and Pfizer-BioNTech’s omicron-specific boosters. On Thursday, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention reviewed and approved the two shots.

Both could be available in pharmacies as early as this weekend."

The article above has a Q&A with it which might answer anyone's questions.

once_upon

Enough

"On Wednesday, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized both the Moderna’s and Pfizer-BioNTech’s omicron-specific boosters. On Thursday, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention reviewed and approved the two shots.

Both could be available in pharmacies as early as this weekend."

The article above has a Q&A with it which might answer anyone's questions.
Actually, we have one pharmacy here that started administering Moderna's Bivalant booster yesterday morning.

Another concern is the funding is running out, leaving uninsured or underinsured at risk for being unable to afford Covid vaccines and boosters. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information