News & Experiences continued

sk8pics

I have reading glasses but if I’m in a store looking at stuff .. anyways my glasses fog up. I used to have progressives too before I had cataract surgery so I get where you’re coming from.
It's not the fogging, I actually have had very little issues with fogging. It's the shifting up of the glasses so the progressive transition is not at the right point.

sk8pics

I’ve now discovered that if I take my glasses off, then put on the KN95 mask, then put my glasses on and press them down into the fabric, it seems to work fine. My glasses have been feeling a bit loose and I was going to get them tightened but I guess I’ll wait to do that.

once_upon

Enough
If you are telling your friends the whole litany of drugs you took last night, coughing and sneezing all the time, you shouldn't be out in public

She took: 2 extra strength Tylenol, 1 Aleve, 2 cold pills and a prescription pain reliever for the knee last night. Her comment included, I feel so much better than yesterday and my cough is looser. I slept really good last night.

Yeah I'm betting her liver is screaming too much Tylenol, too much alcohol.

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member
The local Air Force Base is back on HPCon Charlie as of 6 a.m. July 19, which means everyone has to mask indoors.

Hmmmm.

Susan1

The local Air Force Base is back on HPCon Charlie as of 6 a.m. July 19, which means everyone has to mask indoors.

Hmmmm.
You're in Dayton, right? I saw this on the news just now and was coming on here to "report". They just went up to Bravo on July 3.

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member
I saw this on the news just now and was coming on here to "report". They just went up to Bravo on July 3.
They were supposed to reduce on-site workers for Bravo. I believe they are supposed to reduce them even more now.

What's interesting about all this to me is that the base commander has in the past been resistant to masking and social distancing requirements on base because he says there is no point when nothing is being done off base--but nothing is being done off base. I wonder what changed his mind.

I will not be surprised if the local college campuses are back on masking soon. But I will be surprised if anyone else does it.

Susan1

They were supposed to reduce on-site workers for Bravo. I believe they are supposed to reduce them even more now.

What's interesting about all this to me is that the base commander has in the past been resistant to masking and social distancing requirements on base because he says there is no point when nothing is being done off base--but nothing is being done off base. I wonder what changed his mind.

I will not be surprised if the local college campuses are back on masking soon. But I will be surprised if anyone else does it.
The Base has lots of people coming and going from all over the world, not just local AF and civilians. When cases go up in the two closest affected counties (Montgomery and Greene), better safe than sorry? Who knows.

Dobre

Kids’ coronavirus vaccines are hard to find in Fla. Many blame DeSantis.​

"When coronavirus vaccines for infants and young children were authorized for the first time last month, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis warned parents against the “baby jabs,” saying regulators had done insufficient testing and trials.

Still, he said he wouldn’t stand in parents’ way if they chose to vaccinate their kids. “You are free to choose,” he assured them.

Florida parents say it hasn’t turned out that way. Many are struggling to find places to vaccinate their children, and they blame DeSantis — noting he was the only governor to refuse to preorder the vaccines, and to prohibit county health departments from distributing or administering the shots. Waitlists at pediatrician offices stretch for weeks. Doctor’s offices that have managed to get doses are fielding calls from parents hundreds of miles away. Families debate road trips to neighboring states in the hope of finding shots for their kids."

"The challenges are greatest for poor families who have traditionally relied on county health clinics now barred from administering the pediatric vaccine. That means underserved kids, especially in rural areas, are left with few options. Small pediatricians’ offices, which usually order their vaccines through county health departments, are also affected."

He banned county health departments from distributing & administering shots?! :wall:
:lynch::wall:

Dobre

The CDC has approved the Novavax vaccine:

The CDC endorses Novavax, a more traditional COVID vaccine, for adults​

It is expected to be available in the next few weeks.

once_upon

Enough
The CDC has approved the Novavax vaccine:

The CDC endorses Novavax, a more traditional COVID vaccine, for adults​

It is expected to be available in the next few weeks.
Maybe it will change some people's minds about getting the Novavax Covid vaccination, buy I'm betting not many

skategal

Bunny mama
Maybe it will change some people's minds about getting the Novavax Covid vaccination, buy I'm betting not many
Early reports are showing an identical side effect profile for Novavax and mRNA for both the rare heart side effects and anaphylaxis.

So I’m betting not many minds will be changed by Novavax but it’s a good option for those who are allergic to Pfizer/Moderna or who had strong reactions to it and were advised not to take subsequent doses.

sk8pics

I went to the mall today and took a rapid PCR test. It took me longer to find the location than to actually do the test. Got in my car, stopped at the supermarket on the way home, and when I pulled into my garage I had a text notification that turned out to be my test results: negative. :cheer2: It took less than an hour. Crazy fast!

Susan1

I went to the mall today and took a rapid PCR test. It took me longer to find the location than to actually do the test. Got in my car, stopped at the supermarket on the way home, and when I pulled into my garage I had a text notification that turned out to be my test results: negative. :cheer2: It took less than an hour. Crazy fast!
FYI - the "rapid" antigen test is not the PCR test. That takes 24 hours and is more accurate. The things that stick in a person's brain for 2 years, huh? But congrats! If you have symptoms, get a PCR test. Signed, Dr. Susan hee hee

sk8pics

FYI - the "rapid" antigen test is not the PCR test. That takes 24 hours and is more accurate. The things that stick in a person's brain for 2 years, huh? But congrats! If you have symptoms, get a PCR test. Signed, Dr. Susan hee hee
I know a rapid antigen test is not the PCR test.

I had a rapid PCR test at a test site. Tomorrow I'm taking a rapid antigen test at home.

Dobre

once_upon

Enough
Sounds utterly awful. Two children were diagnosed with it in the U.S. yesterday. Unrelated cases & assumed to be household transmission.

There is a thread on monkeypox. It can be spread respiratory droplet, skin to skin contact, contact like contaminated bedding (I assume wet from lesions) we absolutely cannot jump to conclusions that this is a gay disease. Look at the areas in Africa where it is endemic and had been. All population have had cases.

Dobre

Texas lawyer behind abortion ban takes aim at HIV prevention​

"Groundbreaking drugs that prevent HIV infection may be harder to get in the US if a prominent Texas lawyer wins a lawsuit that pits his clients’ religious beliefs against free nationwide access to the medicines.

At issue are Gilead Sciences Inc.’s Truvada and Descovy, forms of pre-exposure prophylaxis commonly known as PrEP that are taken daily by hundreds of thousands of Americans at risk from HIV, particularly men who have sex with men. The drugs were added last year to a list of preventive services like cancer screenings and polio vaccinations that most health insurance plans are required to cover at no cost under a provision of the federal Affordable Care Act.

Jonathan Mitchell, the Republican former solicitor general of Texas known for his efforts to restrict abortion access in the state, argues the mandatory PrEP coverage violates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, a statute cited in other health care fights over abortion, contraception and treatments for transgender people.

Mitchell is seeking in a Texas court to block the entire preventive services mandate under the ACA without a trial, arguing it’s invalid because the government employees who manage the list have too much power to not be confirmed by the Senate. That would have a far-reaching impact nationwide, scrapping requirements for no-cost access to other services, like care for pregnant women and infants. But his motion for summary judgment takes specific aim at PrEP.

The US asked the judge to uphold the ACA requirements, also without a trial. US District Judge Reed O’Connor in Fort Worth is set to hear arguments Tuesday. He’s the same judge who ruled the Affordable Care Act was unconstitutional in 2018 before the Supreme Court voted for a second time to uphold it.

The US claims the plaintiffs lack standing to sue because they haven’t been injured by the mandate, and that their religious objection doesn’t qualify for attacking a provision of ACA that will lead to “ultimately fewer deaths.”

A coalition of states including California, Colorado, Maryland, and New York and the District of Columbia filed a brief in favor of the mandate. They say that if Mitchell prevails, they will have to spend more on public health."

(What a nightmare. I can't believe these extremists can keep instigating cases in Texas--portions of Texas where they know they will get these pro-Republican judges--and block nationwide policies like health care, legal immigration, & Separation of Church & State).

sk8pics

I had meant to write this story when I first came home from my trip, but better late than never.

At the symposium I was at, we were required to wear masks while indoors. They had specified N95, KN95, or KF94 but they didn’t publicize it well. I was in the elevator one day with a woman who was saying she hadn’t realized until she arrived that we were supposed to mask.:rolleyes: She must not have read anything we were sent. Anyway, she was saying how the masks they had available for people were not very comfortable. And there was a guy on the elevator agreeing with her; he’d been wearing a cloth type mask and even then had it down or his nose sticking out quite often.

Instead of being all annoyed, I just said to her, “I have a few extra masks I brought with me, KF94s, that are much more comfortable than what you’re wearing, and are easier to breathe through. I can give some to you if you like. She was appreciative and said she would like to try, and we agreed to try to meet up at the next break. Then I turned to the guy and said, ”I have a few more masks that are this type but are a bit bigger and so are too big for me. I can give them to you if you want to try them.” And he, too, agreed.

Then of course, we didn’t manage to meet up when we had tentatively planned. But I saw the woman at a table and went over and gave her several masks, which she thanked me for; she also didn’t want to take them all but I’d really brought extras, so it was fine and she did.

When I found the guy, he was in an informal meeting in the hallway seating area, and I just quietly went up and handed it to him. He took it, stared at me a second while he remembered, and then he beamed at me and hugged me tightly.

Later, I saw the woman wearing one of the masks and she said it was much more comfortable for her. I also saw the guy wearing his mask and he hugged me again.:rofl: I’m glad to have helped them protect themselves AND me from potential infection. I also gave one of the bigger masks to a friend of mine who was struggling with a too-small mask, and he was much happier too.

Dobre

Polio fears rise in New York amid possible community spread

"New York state health officials issued a more urgent call Thursday for unvaccinated children and adults to get inoculated against polio, citing new evidence of possible “community spread” of the dangerous virus.

The polio virus has now been found in seven different wastewater samples in two adjacent counties north of New York City, health officials said.

So far, only one person has tested positive for polio — an unvaccinated adult in Rockland County who suffered paralysis.

But based on earlier polio outbreaks, 'New Yorkers should know that for every one case of paralytic polio observed, there may be hundreds of other people infected,' the state’s health commissioner, Dr. Mary T. Bassett, said in a statement."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information