News & Experiences continued

clairecloutier

I’m starting to get a little concerned about the situation with kids and boosters. I just wonder how long it’s going to take to get boosters approved for kids. My kids got their second shots in late July, so if it’s like in adults, their protection is going to start waning now and they’ll be at the 6-month mark by February 1st.

Tak

First, abject apologies for canceling or postponing GPF in Japan. From what I gather, JSF and Sport Ministry was all set to hold the event, but much better medically informed Prime Minister's Office refused permission.
Japan counted 127 new cases yesterday, a dramatic drop from 25,000 new cases in Mid August. This was achieved by vaccination campaign nearing 80% mark and universal, almost 100%, mask wearing. We almost completely beat the Delta variant.
Only two cases of Omicron Variant has been picked up, both cases at the airport prior to admission into Japan. One was Namibian diplomat (twice vaccinated with Moderna) and the other was 20s male (twice vaccinated with Pfizer) whose trip originated in Peru. Both are being treated at specialized quarantine hospital. Every passenger on the same flight is in strict 14 day quarantine.
It seems that Omicron variant has following characteristics;
1. Highly transmissible, so much so that Air-borne transmission is not yet ruled out.
2. Breakthrough contagion, fully vaccinated people coming down with symptoms, are quite common.
Because of Item 1, "Bubble" concept can no longer be applied. There is no way a "Bubble" can be created for Air-borne disease, unless separate air supply for each individual is assured.
I hope that Omicron will turn out to be much weaker variant than Delta. But unfolding situation in South Africa seems to indicate otherwise.
Postponing GPF to April or May, is being met with disbelief or derision. However, if Omicron is as bad as it seems now, rescheduled GPF in May, may become the first international competition since Cup of Russia. IMHO, unless air-borne transmission is ruled out and "Bubble" concept viability is re-established, Euro/4CC/Olympics/Worlds are all in danger of being postponed or cancelled.

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member
First, abject apologies for canceling or postponing GPF in Japan. From what I gather, JSF and Sport Ministry was all set to hold the event, but much better medically informed Prime Minister's Office refused permission.
You don't owe anyone an apology.

I think there are two ways to look at these things and the way people choose to look at it depends very much on their views on government--you can either assume that a government is making decisions as best they know how with the information they have or you can assume that a government is run by idiots and incompetents. Everything else stems from that.

Governments are, in the end, just people with jobs, like the rest of us. I like to think they are doing the best they can because that's how I think most people are. That doesn't mean they always get it right, just that they I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
You don't owe anyone an apology.

I think there are two ways to look at these things and the way people choose to look at it depends very much on their views on government--you can either assume that a government is making decisions as best they know how with the information they have or you can assume that a government is run by idiots and incompetents. Everything else stems from that.

Governments are, in the end, just people with jobs, like the rest of us. I like to think they are doing the best they can because that's how I think most people are. That doesn't mean they always get it right, just that they I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
I think there's a third form of government, neither making decisions as best they know how or idiots and incompetents. I think there's a kind of government run by people so corrupted by greed, ideology or lust for power that they don't care if their decisions are going to help or hurt the people in their location, their country, or even their planet.

Those governmental types don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Evil never does.

Judy

Just found out that one of the fathers at my kids' school died of *********-related complications on Tuesday. Very, very sad. :cry: He was only 45 and did counseling with youths in foster care and prisoners. He leaves behind three sons, a boy of 12 in my daughter's class and twin 10-year-old boys. :cry: :(
That is horrible 😔

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I read today that the numbers in South Africa are rising at an unprecedented rate and that more children under 4 are hospitalized because of it than ever before.
I just read that in South Africa hospitalizations aren't rising as fast as cases and that the use of ICU beds hasn't risen at all. These are signs that this variant is less deadly.

Excerpts:

Delta: A report this summer found that people in England with Delta had double the hospitalization risk of those with an earlier variant. And Delta killed huge numbers of people simply because it infected so many more.

Omicron: We don’t yet know about omicron’s virulence. In South Africa, cases are rising faster than hospital admissions — a hint of less severe disease. And even though hospital admissions have increased, so far there is no increase in use of ICU beds.

1. Highly transmissible, so much so that Air-borne transmission is not yet ruled out.
:huh: We've known that C0vid is transmitted via aerosols for at least a year now.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Minor correction here. The scientists knew it was airborne in February of 2020, 21 months ago. The info was withheld from the general public to avoid panic, leading us down the “sanitize everything” wormhole.

Yes, but the statements “airborne a transmission is not yet ruled out” and “a bubble cannot be created for an airborn disease” don’t make sense either way. CV is airborne and a bubble is about making sure no one who enters the bubble has it, not that no one in the bubble could get it from another infected person in the bubble.

Susan1

As of Thursday, Dec. 2, ODH reports a total of 1,708,292 (+9,131) cases, leading to 87,244 (+366) hospitalizations and 10,848 (+41) admissions into the ICU. The state reported Thursday 58.02% of the state’s population — 6,782,133 Ohioans — have started the *********-19 vaccination process, an increase of 10,935 from the previous day.

The 21-day case average now sits at more than 5,500.

ODH director Dr. Bruce Vanderhoff and other Ohio health leaders gave an update on the current uptick of *********-19 cases and hospitalizations. While Delta variant is still the primary *********-19 variant in Ohio, Dr. Vanderhoff did discuss the new Omicron variant.

“If the Omicron variant shows up in Ohio, we’ll likely see it reasonably quickly in our state’s genetic sequencing data.” said Dr. Vanderhoff. “Much remains unknown at this point including whether it’s more transmissible or capable of causing more serious illness.”

As of Friday, Dec. 3, ODH reports a total of 1,717,876 (+9,584) cases, leading to 87,504 (+260) hospitalizations and 10,868 (+20) admissions into the ICU. The state reported Friday 58.13% of the state’s population — 6,794,732 Ohioans — have started the COVID-19 vaccination process, an increase of 13,149 from the previous day.

Ohio has seen an increase of 9,000 new COVID-19 cases on both Thursday and Friday. It’s the first time the state has had two consecutive days of 9K+ cases since Jan. 7-8.

ODH reported 264 deaths Friday, bringing the total to 26,807. The state is updating the number only after death certificates have been processed, usually twice a week.

The 21-day case average now sits at more than 5,700.

Miezekatze

I was just wondering about the airborne thing, since aerosol transmission is the reason for nearly all the indoor restrictions and has been for 1,5 years now :lol:

I'm fairly sure Japan knows that too?! (of course regardless there is no reason to apologize for cancelling the GPF)

Last edited:

once_upon

Vaccinated
I think confusion surrounds different terminology

At first I think the thought was droplet spread. Large particle dropped from nasal discharges, wet cough..dropping onto surfaces and transferred to nasal and other mucus membranes, infecting airways.

Airborne also meant that those large droplets went a certain distance before dropping and could be inhaled.

Aerosaled spray droplets were thought to be much smaller, going farther distances into a room or space and required much greater filtration.

I dont know what the prevailing thought is as to the size of the particles but just think about the progression of mitigation measures up to the recommendation of N-95 masks.

I think there is still discussion surrounding aerosolization vs airborne. And it's probably just wordsmithing.

once_upon

Vaccinated
6 cases of Omnicron in Nebraska.

Hospital ICU beds are not available. Waits are 3-6 hours. The Med Center is being very selective when considering any transfer patients.

No beds (not just ICU beds, but all beds) not available in the county across the river.

million$momma

I guess you forgot about that big fight at the NYC restaurant. :lol:

There were deaths of retail workers when all they had to do was enforce a mask mandate. I shudder to think what would happen if they had to verify vaccination status.
Seriously? Here to eat in a restaurant you have to have your vaccine QR Code scanned, and present picture ID. You also wear a mask everywhere indoors unless actively eating. No one whines or argues (at least not that I've seen), they just do it so we can have some semblance of a 'normal' life.

Arenas and gyms have the same rules. No vaccine? - it's takeout and outdoor exercise for you!

Mayra

Seriously? Here to eat in a restaurant you have to have your vaccine QR Code scanned, and present picture ID. You also wear a mask everywhere indoors unless actively eating. No one whines or argues (at least not that I've seen), they just do it so we can have some semblance of a 'normal' life.

Arenas and gyms have the same rules. No vaccine? - it's takeout and outdoor exercise for you!

In LA if the restaurant has an outdoor eating area, the restaurant staff are pretty nice about offering outside seating to the unvaccinated. Otherwise, it's QR code/ Vaccine card required for indoor.

To get into Dodger Stadium, they actively check vaccine status and you have to have your mask on before you can even get to the ticketing area. Mind you, people tend to lose it inside the stadium but you aren't getting in without it.

I'm sure there are still a few moaning and groaning, but like you, everywhere I've gone people have been patient and accommodating. At this point, I think everyone has just adapted to this new "normal." 🤷‍♀️

MacMadame

Doing all the things

I don't know where you live but in the US we have areas where the Governors of whole states sign executive orders forbidding mask mandates. And people punch stewardesses on airplanes when they are asked to put their mask back on.

It's gross.

Spikefan

At the Hubbell Salon
We are having gorgeous weather here so went out for a walk tonight and ran into someone we know and haven’t seen for a few years. We started talking and then walking towards her and she said to stay back as she tested positive on Wednesday. The wind was blowing directly our way. She is vaccinated with a breakthrough case and we are boostered but now I’m stressed. I’ve always had social anxiety and now I have whatever this anxiety is. I really hate running into anyone I know anymore. :wuzrobbed

FiveRinger

We are having gorgeous weather here so went out for a walk tonight and ran into someone we know and haven’t seen for a few years. We started talking and then walking towards her and she said to stay back as she tested positive on Wednesday. The wind was blowing directly our way. She is vaccinated with a breakthrough case and we are boostered but now I’m stressed. I’ve always had social anxiety and now I have whatever this anxiety is. I really hate running into anyone I know anymore. :wuzrobbed
That’s terrible. I had to literally stop thinking about stuff like this. I’m trying to figure out if people are selfish or just self-absorbed. They are probably one and the same at this point. Or maybe they’re just stupid. In any case, it makes me think less of people.

At my new job, in the past 2 months my training partner has had 2 of her 3 kids come down with it. Both are teenagers, both were fully vaccinated. But I sit right next to her everyday. I was so pissed because she came to work even when her kids had symptoms. She didn’t stay home until they tested positive. That was after she had been around us for days, on both occasions. And she didn’t tell us until she had to, meaning she was in the office with us sobbing when she got the emails for the positive results. It was all so unnecessary. We’re hybrid. She could have worked from home via Skype and Teams and never exposed us.

I shudder to think of how many people that I’ve come in contact with that are positive that I don’t know about. I got my booster a week ago. My arm is still sore, but I’ll take that over the crud.

Last edited:

Dobre

I shudder to think of how many people that I’ve come in contact with that are positive that I don’t know about.
Um, yeah.

I was in close contact with maybe 80 people today. I'd guestimate another 120 at least this week.

It's better not to think about it :slinkaway.

Orm Irian

Five new cases in South Australia in the past 24 hours: two interstate acquired and three locally acquired (close contacts of existing cases). There were 10,409 tests done. 90.1% of the state population aged 12+ is double-vaccinated and 81.7% has had a single shot. So far no locations of concern have been identified in my mum's area, so fingers crossed she's not at any risk.

ETA: They've taken advantage of the emergence of Omicron to tighten up the border/entry protocols for travellers from the eastern states: in addition to getting tested 72 hours before entering the state, they now have to get tested on arrival and isolate until the result is received, then get tested again on day 6 if they're still in the state, and they're barred from visiting high-risk settings such as aged care facilities and detention centres.

Last edited:

MsZem

If it's going to be "nobody's safe until all the animals are safe" then we really are screwed.

FWIW, cases in Israel seem to be trending down again after a bit of an uptick in the second half of November. We are currently at 44% boosted, 57.8% fully vaxxed (includes people who don't require boosters yet). Approximately 10% need a booster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information