News & Experiences continued

Orm Irian

Because it means are former president was a complete chowder head not to heed it….
Well, the fact that that man was a complete chowderhead who ignored at best and more often belittled any information he didn't want to hear - to wit, anything that wasn't about him - was evident some decades before he decided to run for President!

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Well, the fact that that man was a complete chowderhead who ignored at best and more often belittled any information he didn't want to hear - to wit, anything that wasn't about him - was evident some decades before he decided to run for President!
The sad thing is that heeding a warning can go a long way.

Our governor is an example as a person who heeded and did the best to prepare for such a situation.

Where my wife worked had large conference centers. Once a month, after he was elected, He spent one whole day with folks who would be responsible in any kind of emergency that could befall from the state from big storms, large explosions, earthquakes. P@ndemics. They put forth plans on how to address these emergencies. When the crud hit, he put his plan into affect. Field hospitals that were in storage were put into place. The state set up in a week a contact tracing plan involving over 2000 workers to track potential infections. He provided funds for manufacturers the means to convert their textile business into making masks and PPEs. Within weeks we were actually supplying other states. The state was hit hard but he had a playbook in place, based on months of preparations that helped weather a pretty dreadful period.

I think this is the reason he is either number one or number two most popular governor in the US, depending on which monthly survey you look at.

The point is, heeding a warning and making a blueprint on how to handle it, can go a long way in making a really bad situation tolerable, and it can be done if the effort is made.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Fact. If a person is in Africa and doesn’t want to be tested or anything what they do is fly to Mexico swim across the rio grande. Doing that means they don’t have to be tested and they will be released almost immediately

once_upon

Vaccinated
Fact. If a person is in Africa and doesn’t want to be tested or anything what they do is fly to Mexico swim across the rio grande. Doing that means they don’t have to be tested and they will be released almost immediately
SOURCE? because that sounds a lot like a Tucker "fact" a bunch of sh!t to stir the pot. Find something other than a caseyedwards or Tucker or any Fox News source.

Dobre

The vaccination campaign finally picked up speed again and now the „special I am no sheep snowflakes“ have a new argument not to get a jab
The weather could be foggy & they would have a new argument. The people spreading anti-vaccination propaganda are determined to act this way every time there is further evidence that they should get vaccinated. They try to jump the gun & lay the blame on the messengers instead of the dangers of the disease or their own failure to take preventative measures. And there is continually evidence that they should get vaccinated . . . because they should get vaccinated. This is how people successfully get diseases under control.

I hope Omicron is less deadly and isn't vaccine resistant, but Delta & the Brazilian variant weren't less dangerous so I'm all for gathering data before leaping to the conclusion that this new one will be. Many of the variants have turned out to be less competitive than others. Thank goodness because we don't need to go through a wave every time a new variant emerges. I'm OK with trying to slow the variant's spread. We just had Thanksgiving with family, and I would like to have Christmas as well. I do feel for the people who are at risk of missing out on that opportunity because of travel restrictions. It would be awful to have been waiting all this time to see someone and now be worried that you may miss out on the window that is winter break to able to do that. For me, because of my job, I would be a lot less comfortable going home if case numbers escalated into red here before Christmas.

Orm Irian

Well, how nice. Just ten days after easing our border restrictions for travellers from the eastern seaboard, South Australia has a new C-19 cluster.

I notice the public shaming of the index case doesn't seem to have started up yet for this one, probably because this cluster was seeded among rich upper-middle-class business types and former politicians (literally, our ex-premier has tested positive and our current governor is in iso) rather than northern-suburbs battlers and pizza shop workers.

We'll see how things go.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
Posting this news here rather than in GSD:
The Japanese government said Thursday it has withdrawn its request for airlines to completely stop taking reservations for inbound international flights this month in the wake of criticism the measure against the Omicron variant of the ******** goes too far.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida admitted the transport ministry's announcement the previous day had caused public confusion, telling reporters he instructed officials to "adequately take into account" people's wishes to travel home.
Under the measure, Japanese citizens and foreign residents would not have been able to return until next year unless they already had reservations.
The government's top spokesman, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno, told a press conference the ministry has withdrawn the request. Following the move, All Nippon Airways Co. and Japan Airlines Co. said that they are preparing to take some new reservations for Japan-bound flights.
Wednesday's request to airlines had come as Japan also lowered its daily cap for people arriving from overseas to 3,500 from 5,000.

Susan1

The Ohio Department of Health has released the latest number of *********-19 cases in the state.

As of Wednesday, Dec. 1, ODH reports a total of 1,699,161 (+8,944) cases, (me: that's the second highest in 21 days) leading to 86,878 (+425) hospitalizations and 10,807 (+42) admissions into the ICU.

The 21-day case average now sits at more than 5,300.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
On a totally unrelated subject…

My snowblower didn’t work and I thought the carburetor was gummed up since I forgot to drain it last spring.

To get it fixed, it would cost me close to $200 with parts, labor, and transportation plus it would be about 2-3 MONTHS!

So I ordered a new carburetor for $45 plus $10 for shipping.

The good news is I swapped it out in under an hour this morning and the machine runs like new.

With all the bad stuff going out, it was fun to win one for a change…🐸🐸🐸🐸🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

PS I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV. YouTube is a godsend!

Judy

On a totally unrelated subject…

My snowblower didn’t work and I thought the carburetor was gummed up since I forgot to drain it last spring.

To get it fixed, it would cost me close to $200 with parts, labor, and transportation plus it would be about 2-3 MONTHS!

So I ordered a new carburetor for $45 plus $10 for shipping.

The good news is I swapped it out in under an hour this morning and the machine runs like new.

With all the bad stuff going out, it was fun to win one for a change…🐸🐸🐸🐸🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

PS I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV. YouTube is a godsend!
Wow that is definitely something to be pleased with!

Judy

Every single ICU bed in the health system that my Dr's and hospitals are associated with are filled with C0vid patients.

Let me say that for those in the back row - every single ICU bed is occupied by a C0vid patient.

Most are in the 18-40 year old age group.
Really horrible situation.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Germany announced that it is imposing a lockdown on unvaccinated people:

As much as unvaccinated people annoy me, I don't think locking them and only them down is a good idea. I support mandatory vaccines though. Both in general and in this case.

The reason I think an unvaccinated-only lockdown will not work in the US (and maybe not Germany either but I don't know enough about the culture to say that) is because it puts the onus on service workers to check vaccine status and the unvaccinated can be very belligerent and sometimes violent. It's not fair to those workers.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The real trick will be in seeing if people can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Previous evidence has shown that people infected with *********-19 have high levels of the ***** in their saliva. Now, researchers have developed an experimental chewing gum that traps SARS-CoV-2 viral particles, the ******** that causes *********-19. The gum may help lower viral transmission when infected individuals breathe, talk, or cough, reports Nancy Lapid for Reuters. Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania published details of the study this month in the research journal Molecular Therapy.

annie720

The third case of the omicron variant in the U.S. has just turned up in my county in CO - Arapahoe, just outside of Denver. Yay. The person was vaccinated but no booster.

We have a reservation for dinner tonight and I think that's going to be the end of dining in for me until more is known about this variant.

Last edited:

once_upon

Vaccinated
I just read that 1/3 of new cases in my county are people in the 0-18 age group and 1/4 of the remaining new cases are 19-30 age group.

ICU staff are struggling even more because of the number of ICU patients and deaths from C0vid are in their age groups.

As nursing staff and medical staff you expect deaths in the older population (no one lives forever, duh), you know younger patients do die or are very sick, but not in numbers being seen now.

I believe the only way to return to some sort of "normal" is vaccines. I am so tired of the political reasons for not vaccinating. It's bull hockey.

ballettmaus

Here is a job for all you fact checkers out there.

In 2017, Dr. Fauci warned the Trump administration that there would be a worldwide breakout of an infectious disease.

Some of the fact checking sources says this is true.

Will someone out there prove this statement wrong.

IF this warning is true, this raises some serious questions in my book…..
He shut down the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense. Another article with a bit more detail. He also wanted to cut the CDC's budget repeatedly. I would imagine that those warnings were either general or in connection with that.

The reason I think an unvaccinated-only lockdown will not work in the US (and maybe not Germany either but I don't know enough about the culture to say that) is because it puts the onus on service workers to check vaccine status and the unvaccinated can be very belligerent and sometimes violent. It's not fair to those workers.
I think it worked when people had to present a negative test before entering stores.

I guess, the argument for doing it this way is that people still have a choice. I have no idea if it's smart. Anti-vaxers may grumble about a mandate but it'll likely blow over once they can resume their life. This, on the other hand, may anger them longer.

skategal

Bunny mama
I just read that 1/3 of new cases in my county are people in the 0-18 age group and 1/4 of the remaining new cases are 19-30 age group.

ICU staff are struggling even more because of the number of ICU patients and deaths from C0vid are in their age groups.

As nursing staff and medical staff you expect deaths in the older population (no one lives forever, duh), you know younger patients do die or are very sick, but not in numbers being seen now.

I believe the only way to return to some sort of "normal" is vaccines. I am so tired of the political reasons for not vaccinating. It's bull hockey.
It’s an even higher percentage where I live. We are close to 50% of new cases being in the 11 and under age group.

Thankfully the numbers overall are staying low and vaccination rate is high here.

Just gotta get those 5-11 vaccinated now. It started this week here.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think it worked when people had to present a negative test before entering stores.
I guess you forgot about that big fight at the NYC restaurant. :lol:

There were deaths of retail workers when all they had to do was enforce a mask mandate. I shudder to think what would happen if they had to verify vaccination status.

Dobre

The third case of the omicron variant in the U.S. has just turned up in my county in CO - Arapahoe, just outside of Denver. Yay. The person was vaccinated but no booster.
Per the radio broadcast I heard this morning, the one in San Francisco was vaccinated also & had mild symptoms. (The person had traveled from South Africa).

Three of my munchkins got 2nd vaccination today.
Excellent. I saw 20 munchkins crammed into a corner in a library & read a story by a librarian wearing her mask on her chin this week. Get your kids vaccinated! I wanted to shout to parents from the rooftops. Safety measures in schools are getting more and more lax the farther we progress past both the initial child vaccination date and the mandatory teacher vaccination date here. Fewer & fewer adults are role modeling or bothering with enforcement, and fewer & fewer kids are wearing their masks correctly because the adults around them aren't.

Dobre

Oregon had 1,046 new cases today and 384 hospitalizations. Umatilla County had only 7 new cases. I've no idea when the last time that happened was. New adults getting vaccinated have slowed to a trickle here. I'm all for mandatory vaccinations, though I would think mandating them for air travel would be a more logical first step.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Four new cases (so far, none Omicron) in South Australia today: two people who'd travelled from interstate and tested positive here, one from here who'd travelled interstate and tested positive there, and one interstate traveller connected with the Norwood cluster, though it's not yet clear whether they were infected interstate and then travelled here or if they travelled here and then were infected at the Norwood superspreader event. There were 10,000+ tests done yesterday.

Over 80% of the state population aged 12+ has had two doses of vaccine now, so fingers crossed that will help stop this from turning into a widespread outbreak. But the 'mystery' case above was in the area where my mother lives at some point - details yet to be provided - so we are watching for more information carefully.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I read today that the numbers in South Africa are rising at an unprecedented rate and that more children under 4 are hospitalized because of it than ever before.
I know it is too early to say anything definite but my hope that this mutation got much milder and leads to less hospital stays is quite a bit dimmer now.

I am depressed anyway - even with the (hopefully) vaccination mandate that Germany will (hopefully) implement - I don't think we will have no restrictions whatsoever next fall.

Either a new mutation will come or the number of people who get a booster is too small or it will still not be enough. In Portugal we have a great vaccination rate and the infections and deaths are manageable. But even there the numbers are rising and the hospitals start to feel a strain again. Of course in percentages mostly unvaccinated people but with an overall (!) vaccination rate of 88% it is also more and more vaccinated people who did not get a booster or who get very sick because of underlying conditions.

So even such a vaccination rate might not be enough to fight co*vid once and for all. This is pretty depressing.

At least we can see in Portugal in contrast to countries like Germany how much a high vaccination rate helps. But it does not hex away all problems either :-(

Susan1

The Ohio Department of Health has released the latest number of *********-19 cases in the state.

As of Wednesday, Dec. 1, ODH reports a total of 1,699,161 (+8,944) cases, (me: that's the second highest in 21 days) leading to 86,878 (+425) hospitalizations and 10,807 (+42) admissions into the ICU.

The 21-day case average now sits at more than 5,300.
As of Thursday, Dec. 2, ODH reports a total of 1,708,292 (+9,131) cases, leading to 87,244 (+366) hospitalizations and 10,848 (+41) admissions into the ICU. The state reported Thursday 58.02% of the state’s population — 6,782,133 Ohioans — have started the *********-19 vaccination process, an increase of 10,935 from the previous day.

The 21-day case average now sits at more than 5,500.

ODH director Dr. Bruce Vanderhoff and other Ohio health leaders gave an update on the current uptick of *********-19 cases and hospitalizations. While Delta variant is still the primary *********-19 variant in Ohio, Dr. Vanderhoff did discuss the new Omicron variant.

“If the Omicron variant shows up in Ohio, we’ll likely see it reasonably quickly in our state’s genetic sequencing data.” said Dr. Vanderhoff. “Much remains unknown at this point including whether it’s more transmissible or capable of causing more serious illness.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information