News & Experiences continued

Susan1

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — The Ohio Department of Health has released the latest number of *********-19 cases in the state.

As of Tuesday, Nov. 30, ODH reports a total of 1,690,217 (+6,745) cases, leading to 86,453 (+461) hospitalizations and 10,765 (+41) admissions into the ICU. The state reported 57.84% of the state’s population — 6,761,537 Ohioans — have started the *********-19 vaccination process, an increase of 9,183 from the previous day.

ODH reported 104 deaths Tuesday, bringing the total to 26,532. The state is updating the number only after death certificates have been processed, usually twice a week

The 21-day case average now sits at more than 5,000.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
It looks like Omicron was in Europe before the first case was reporting from South Africa. Given how quickly it spreads/sped in South Africa, that's interesting.

It has also been reportedly found in 20 countries already, so can authorities please lift the travel ban?!
This! If it was worse than Delta, we would know by now. AFAICT, people aren’t dropping like flies in Johannesburg.

Dobre

Per Bloomberg, the U.S. now has 70% of the total population with 1 dose.

Case numbers in my region are down quite a bit. Goodness knows what will happen after Thanksgiving, but at least numbers were going down instead of up here. The case reports from the last two days were both over 1,000; but that's not bad for an extended weekend. I assume some counties reported their long weekend's numbers today rather than yesterday. Hospitalizations in Oregon are slightly over 400.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders

WHO advises over 60s against travel to *********-19 hotspots as ...​

https://www.abc.net.au › news › who-advice-against-tra...

3 hours ago — The World Health Organization (WHO) has advised people who are unwell or vulnerable to severe disease or death from *********-19, ...
he World Health Organization (WHO) has advised people who are unwell or vulnerable to severe disease or death from *********-19, including people aged over 60, to postpone travel to hotspot areas.

Key points:​

• The WHO says countries should apply "a risk-based approach" with any travel measures
  • The advice comes after the detection of the new Omicron variant
  • The UN health body says blanket bans on some countries will not prevent its spread

In its latest guidance to authorities and travellers, the WHO said people over 60 years who are not fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-COV-2 infection and those with underlying health conditions should be advised to postpone travel to areas of community transmission, as they are at higher risk of disease and death.

"Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe *********-19 (e.g., heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission," the WHO advice said.

The advice comes after the emergence of the Omicron variant.

The WHO's list of variants has skipped two Greek letters. It wasn't a mistake​

There have been 11 *********-19 strains named by the WHO, including the newly-identified Omicron. But what happened to the rest of them?
Read more

First reported in southern Africa a week ago, the variant has brought global alarm, led to travel bans and highlighted the disparity between massive vaccination pushes in rich nations and sparse inoculation in the developing world.

Dutch authorities have since said the Omicron variant was detected in the Netherlands a week before it was reported by South African authorities.

The United Nations health body said countries should apply "an evidence-informed and risk-based approach" with any travel measures related to the Omicron variant of the ********, including possible screening or quarantine of international passengers.

But it said blanket bans would not prevent its spread.

ballettmaus

This! If it was worse than Delta, we would know by now. AFAICT, people aren’t dropping like flies in Johannesburg.
If it's more transmissable but less severe then that would be the first step towards becoming more like the common cold. While I still don't want YKW at the moment, this would actually be a glimmer of hope and I could live with that.

I'm mad at the lack of testing and sequencing in Europe. Gamma and Lambda spread quickly in South America but hardly in Europe or North America. It would be great to know if we have a similar situation with Omicron but for that, Europe would have to test more and sequence more.

Orm Irian

The Worldometer page for South Africa suggests that they're in the opening phase of a fourth wave driven by Omicron, as its Daily Cases graph shows the same steep rise in case numbers as was characteristic of previous waves taking place over the last two to three weeks. It will take another couple of weeks to know if hospitalisations and deaths are increasing at similar rates to previous waves, as they're both lagging indicators. Their Hospital Surveillance Report dated 30 November 2021 suggests there is a slight increase in hospitalisations occurring, but it's not going to be clear yet whether this is because of specific characteristics of the Omicron variant or just the familiar situation where, as more people get sick each week, the same proportion of those more people need to go to hospital.

There's just not enough information available yet to say whether Omicron is worse than Delta as variants go; we'll just have to be patient and keep up the masking, social distancing, vaccination and TTIQ, and increase efforts to get vaccine supply fast to the places that are at greatest risk of producing new variants.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
If it's more transmissable but less severe then that would be the first step towards becoming more like the common cold. While I still don't want YKW at the moment, this would actually be a glimmer of hope and I could live with that.

I'm mad at the lack of testing and sequencing in Europe. Gamma and Lambda spread quickly in South America but hardly in Europe or North America. It would be great to know if we have a similar situation with Omicron but for that, Europe would have to test more and sequence more.
Here is a point to ponder.

IF, and I mean IF, the omicron turns out to be milder than delta, how are the governments going to react?

Will they have the gonads to admit they were wrong and cancel most restrictions or because they see this as an erosion of their power, gin up some false narrative like the variant is currently mild, however there are indications that it could turn deadly at any moment, thus we are going to keep all our restrictions in place Just to be safe.

The next few weeks will be interesting.

ballettmaus

The travel restrictions are pretty stupid and the WHO keeps saying so themselves. I think the variants that are going to spread dominantly are going to spread anyway, because there's always going to be one variant that is going to be the dominant one at any given time.
Not only that, by the time they catch it, it's usually in a second country already and if it's in a second country, it's likely already in a third, too. There will not be a variant that they'll catch before it left the country of origin.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Here is a job for all you fact checkers out there.

In 2017, Dr. Fauci warned the Trump administration that there would be a worldwide breakout of an infectious disease.

Some of the fact checking sources says this is true.

Will someone out there prove this statement wrong.

IF this warning is true, this raises some serious questions in my book…..

Orm Irian

Why? It's the kind of generic yet necessary warning public health officials give politicians on a regular basis, especially if said politicians are in the process of shredding important public health infrastructure, not to mention documents such as ********* plans, which we already know the Trump administration did.

Miezekatze

Bill Gates has been warning of bad pandemics for years too. That's not cause there's some crazy conspiracy theory going on.

Its because humanity is rapidly increasing the risk for pandemics by deforestation of rain forests and the likes:

Those articles are from way before *********-19 and I'm sure the people who run programs like PREDICTS have warned a lot of people over the years:

once_upon

Vaccinated

In 2017, Dr. Fauci warned the Trump administration that there would be a worldwide breakout of an infectious disease.

I'm not sure what/which political way you are thinking here.

I dont have the secret fact checker code, so this is my personal opinion, but some is based on actual provable facts that I have knowledge of.

I believe that most presidents in recent past (since at least the Ford administration, but probably earlier because of cold war) have been warned of a potential pan*demic and have recieved professional recommendations to develop or expand national responses/supplies.

I know, that special isolation and care considerations were implemented in a rather famous case https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/895/473/46800/ and several hospitals in the immediate area developed plans post this event. We had no idea whether it was a potential pan*demic in the making or what. I was working that night when the kids were admitted.

I know that there were plans in place and thoroughly developed under Bush for potential smallpox bio warfare. Several nurses I know were inoculated with smallpox vaccines (which was countrywide, to be the designated caregivers should this happen,).

Plans/biocontainment special units were built and prior to C0vid used with Ebola. I know this to be true as one of those speciality units were used to care for Ebola patients and some of the first c0vid patients at UNMC. And nurses I know worked in.

Every single infectious disease doctor I PERSONALLY know have been predicting a catastrophic pan*demic since before swine flu in the late 70's. So if Fauci said/warned Trump, it is not a new pattern, but one that is consistent with infectious disease doctors opinions that I've known since 1975.

It was widely believed (and my own personal opinion) that response plans were ignored or stripped down during Trump's administration. I believe that equipment in stockpiles were woefully not tested (ventilators), weren't inspected for damage, not updated something every hospital I worked in had specific guidelines/timetables to do.

So....I believe the former president was warned and professionals were advising him to be prepared as they had done with many presidents. I personally believe Trump ignored any and all advise given to him.

Karen-W

Color me cynical about the danger of Omnicron. A week after massive protests in Europe began occurring over the latest wave of lockdowns, WHO declares Omnicron to be "a variant of interest". Great way to justify the lockdowns and reintroduction of mask mandates, isn't it?

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
On the contrary. I think it comes to exactly the wrong time. 😢
The vaccination campaign finally picked up speed again and now the „special I am no sheep snowflakes“ have a new argument not to get a jab- it might not work so well (which is a mind blowing stupid argument since before they argued that they dont need it because they are young and fit and will not get ill severely- so why now argue with maybe a bit less protection? It is infuriating 😢

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Why? It's the kind of generic yet necessary warning public health officials give politicians on a regular basis, especially if said politicians are in the process of shredding important public health infrastructure, not to mention documents such as ********* plans, which we already know the Trump administration did.
Because it means are former president was a complete chowder head not to heed it….

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Meanwhile, just to remind ourselves that the non-vaccinated have increased the likelihood of their dying...

Marcus Lamb, founder of Bedford-based evangelical television network Daystar and an outspoken opponent of *********-19 vaccines, has died after being hospitalized with the *****, the network announced Tuesday. He was 64...

Lamb’s network has featured well-known vaccine-skeptics and programming, as well a group of physicians who support alternative treatments for dealing with *********-19. Lamb was hospitalized in mid-November.

Joni, Lamb’s wife, said on the Tuesday morning broadcast that Lamb had diabetes and was hospitalized after his oxygen levels dropped. She said Lamb tried alternative treatments but was unable to recover.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Variants happen, especially when there are large populations that haven't yet been vaccinated around the world.

Authorities are scrambling to deal with this but shockingly they lack perfect vision and so when a potentially more contagious variant comes along, they make some wrong turns; the travel restrictions aren't likely to be effective in particular.

What is sad is that people still can't handle the fact that 1) humans are imperfect and 2) disease happens. The last thing we need to keep on getting through this is the people who scream everytime and politicize everything.

OTOH, at least in rich countries like the US we have a surfeit of people who believe that nothing should ever negatively affect them and if it does some political force is responsible, not the realities that life is many times not easy. But then we have a whole mediasphere that makes huge profits telling people what they want to hear: it's someone else's fault!

once_upon

Vaccinated
Color me cynical about the danger of Omnicron. A week after massive protests in Europe began occurring over the latest wave of lockdowns, WHO declares Omnicron to be "a variant of interest". Great way to justify the lockdowns and reintroduction of mask mandates, isn't it?
I think the world is trying to learn from the Spanish Flu experience which was not just 1918 involved but really from late 1917 through 1920/1921. Of course, there were no genome testing/screening but the ***** did mutate and caused waves. To date I believe the Spanish flu was more deadly, and some of the waves can be attributed to young people gathering in small public spaces in great numbers.

But in some ways you are correct - unlike the Spanish flu, today air/international travel is much more widely done. In the 10's and 20's international travel was usually war/military related. So sort of by conditions/norm of the times travel restrictions were in place. Masking was happening in the Spanish Flu, but the practice really wasn't political driven and we haven't done a good job in publicizing that measure.

Travel restrictions are by and large ineffective because by the time a new genome sequence appears, it has most likely been disseminated throughout our world. Plus countries are allowing their own citizens to return even if a travel restriction in placed into being. So real restrictions are not being implemented. But as I said, variants are not discovered in the ground zero case and are in my estimation already in each country.

We would be foolish not to try and see what patterns were present in 1917-1921. We need to use those patterns to determine how C0vid mimics the Spanish flu.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Yes, I’m sure checks notes South African epidemiologists were in cahoots with European governments to make up a new variant for shits and giggles.

It shows how little you know about European politics that you think this is the case.

Karen-W

Yes, I’m sure checks notes South African epidemiologists were in cahoots with European governments to make up a new variant for shits and giggles.

It shows how little you know about European politics that you think this is the case.
That is NOT what I said. I have no doubt that this is a newly sequenced variant. What I do question is WHO and the necessity if declaring this particular variant one "of concern". WHO had proven, time and time again during this ********* to be willing to act in the interests of various governments.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
That is NOT what I said. I have no doubt that this is a newly sequenced variant. What I do question is WHO and the necessity if declaring this particular variant one "of concern". WHO had proven, time and time again during this ********* to be willing to act in the interests of various governments.
What governments do you think want this p*ndemic to continue?

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I don't think any individual or any government wants this shit to continue..

I cried uncle long ago.......

AJ Skatefan

I think the world is trying to learn from the Spanish Flu experience which was not just 1918 involved but really from late 1917 through 1920/1921. Of course, there were no genome testing/screening but the ***** did mutate and caused waves. To date I believe the Spanish flu was more deadly, and some of the waves can be attributed to young people gathering in small public spaces in great numbers.

But in some ways you are correct - unlike the Spanish flu, today air/international travel is much more widely done. In the 10's and 20's international travel was usually war/military related. So sort of by conditions/norm of the times travel restrictions were in place. Masking was happening in the Spanish Flu, but the practice really wasn't political driven and we haven't done a good job in publicizing that measure.

Travel restrictions are by and large ineffective because by the time a new genome sequence appears, it has most likely been disseminated throughout our world. Plus countries are allowing their own citizens to return even if a travel restriction in placed into being. So real restrictions are not being implemented. But as I said, variants are not discovered in the ground zero case and are in my estimation already in each country.

We would be foolish not to try and see what patterns were present in 1917-1921. We need to use those patterns to determine how C0vid mimics the Spanish flu.
I saw an interesting documentary on the 1918 *********. It was made in the 90’s I think but the parallels are eerily similar. Except that it was much worse than this one. People would wake up feeling fine and be dead by dinner. Masks were too porous and didn’t work. They also developed a vaccine that didn’t work because they didn’t know about viruses. It’s a PBS documentary that I got from the library.

Judy

Here is a point to ponder.

IF, and I mean IF, the omicron turns out to be milder than delta, how are the governments going to react?

Will they have the gonads to admit they were wrong and cancel most restrictions or because they see this as an erosion of their power, gin up some false narrative like the variant is currently mild, however there are indications that it could turn deadly at any moment, thus we are going to keep all our restrictions in place Just to be safe.

The next few weeks will be interesting.
I think they all would be hugely relieved along with us.

Prancer

Professional Spuddler
Staff member

Epidemiologists have been warning Presidents that we are due for a ********* since the Bush admin.

Bush issued a preparation plan, which the Obama administration then expanded on.

After the ********* plans were made and everything was set and no ********* appeared, the Obama admin let a lot of things slide--hence the disastrous state of the supplies like ventilators that were supposed to be in stock and ready to go per the Bush plan. It wasn't that they ignored the possibility of a *********; it's that there were other fires to put out.

People tend to focus on what's right in front of them. I'm not sure that Trump is all that different in this respect.

They've identified other variants as "of concern" all along :confused:. What should they do instead? Ignore new variants? Wait and see if a new variant is really dangerous before saying something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information