News & Experiences continued

Dobre

Oregon reported 1,090 new cases today. 28 deaths. 9 were people younger than 65.

Hospitalizations were down today to 407.

Gilliam and Sherman County are in purple. They are two of the 3 most rural counties in the state and not statistically valid.

Per the NPR map, Oregon finally moved out of red--last week, I believe. Currently averaging 19 per 100K. New cases have definitely been down this week as we are finally getting some reports below 1,000.

Dobre

Michigan shatters peak *********-19 case rate. 1 in 10 cases in US are from the state​

(Per the NYT, Michigan is currently averaging 88 cases per 100k. The state has been on a steep upward climb this past week, leaping up from an average of about 5,000 cases a day to now over 8,000).

"On the same day Michigan's fourth ******** surge hit a grim new milestone, shattering the record highest case rate thus far in the *********, the state health department issued an advisory imploring everyone ages 2 and older to wear masks indoors.

'Today, we are at another crucial point,' Elizabeth Hertel, director of the state Department of Health and Human Services, said Friday in announcing the public health advisory that recommends — but does not mandate — mask wearing. 'We have a chance to turn the tide and these rising numbers around. ... Whether or not we do will depend on everyone in Michigan.'"

Minnesota: Highest Infection Rates Of *********-19, Hospitalizations Pass 1,400 Amid Surge​

"Only 2% of adult intensive care unit beds were free, and 56 hospitals reported that their adult ICU beds were at capacity. Pediatric ICU bed space also was tight at 92% capacity as of Thursday."

Last edited:

Louis

Private citizen
Europeans are rising up in rebellion against new lockdowns:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/21/netherlands-arrests-second-night-*********-protests

The sheer size of the protests in Belgium, Netherlands, and Austria should be giving politicians pause. At least politicians who want to keep their jobs. These are not small, fringe groups. They're broad coalitions of tens of thousands of people.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
The situation in Germany is as dire as probably never before during this pan*demic. Simulation results indicate that to vaccinate now will make little difference in the current wave.
But if we do nothing and just go on as currently, we could end up with up to 400.000 deaths (at the moment Germany is just shy of 100.000 deaths overall since we had a pretty good response to the crud all in all but not any more, especially since the relatively good crisis management meant that lots of people did not take it very seriously and the vaccination rate is still quite low with not even 70% of the total population fully vaccinated).

mikey

...an acquired taste
The situation in Germany is as dire as probably never before during this pan*demic.
I have to say, as a guest living in Germany, I just do not understand my German neighbors' approach to this *********. Germany was a role model initially when Angela Merkel listened to her medical advisors and made appropriate changes to control the spread. But now, a year and a half later, it's almost like no one around here even cares any more. Sure, people will begrudgingly put on a mask to take public transportation or to enter a public building, but aside from that, masks are hard to find in public (at least around where I live). I have heard people say that science has shown that masks are not needed outside - well, yea, but when you are crammed together in public places outside, the risk goes up! As for social distancing, well, I think people are more interested in bickering (Germans love two things: complaining and debating) about 3G (geimpft = immunized, genessen = recovered, getestet = tested with a negative result) versus 2G (just geimpft and genessen, as a way to encourage people to get immunized) than actually doing anything meaningful. Everyone continues to meet socially as if nothing has changed. The attitude is that the ********* isn't going away any time soon so we need to get on with our lives, and oh well if almost 100,000 people in Germany have died already, boo hoo. Survival of the fittest, I guess...

Dobre

There is a difference between getting vaccinated and getting on with one's life vs. refusing to get vaccinated and actively campaigning against the requirement that people in public life get vaccinated. The reason that many people cannot "get on with their lives" is because of the anti-vaccination movement.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I have to say, as a guest living in Germany, I just do not understand my German neighbors' approach to this *********. Germany was a role model initially when Angela Merkel listened to her medical advisors and made appropriate changes to control the spread. But now, a year and a half later, it's almost like no one around here even cares any more. Sure, people will begrudgingly put on a mask to take public transportation or to enter a public building, but aside from that, masks are hard to find in public (at least around where I live). I have heard people say that science has shown that masks are not needed outside - well, yea, but when you are crammed together in public places outside, the risk goes up! As for social distancing, well, I think people are more interested in bickering (Germans love two things: complaining and debating) about 3G (geimpft = immunized, genessen = recovered, getestet = tested with a negative result) versus 2G (just geimpft and genessen, as a way to encourage people to get immunized) than actually doing anything meaningful. Everyone continues to meet socially as if nothing has changed. The attitude is that the ********* isn't going away any time soon so we need to get on with our lives, and oh well if almost 100,000 people in Germany have died already, boo hoo. Survival of the fittest, I guess...
it is pretty horrible. Most people show common sense and are cautious but about 10% (I guess) take no precautions at all and rebel against everything and about another 20-30% are fed up with it all, don't want to be in a pand*emic any longer (guess what, me neither) and are living as if everything was normal. But I think that is also because of our strict responses earlier. So we got it under control pretty well in each wave and no catastrophes happenend here so lots of people think that it is not as dire as predicted.
The cause-effect that it did not get worse because we were cautious is too hard for some brains...

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
you live in Baden-Württemberg? Stuttgart really is the main center of all cov-idiots in Germany....My friend lives there and is aghast. Here in the North West of Germany the responses, the vaccination rates etc are better and surpringly (not) the numbers are much lower then in Saxony or Bavaria with the low vaccination rates and "freeeeeedoooooom" criers.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But I think that is also because of our strict responses earlier.
Except we have the same thing going on in the US so I think it's just human nature when a crisis goes on for too long and nothing anything specific any countries have done.

I think humans can't live in a crisis for more than a certain amount of time without grave mental health issues. So we come up with coping mechanisms including denial. But also taking more and more chances.

once_upon

Vaccinated
I think humans can't live in a crisis for more than a certain amount of time without grave mental health issues. So we come up with coping mechanisms including denial. But also taking more and more chances.
In the US (since that's where I live), I believe it's not only the nearly 2 years of c0vid crisis, it's also the political environment, the increasing vigilantly way we are living, the social disparity, etc.

We (at least me and some of my close friends/family) are all exhausted. I can't do anything about the anti vax idiots and have lost all compassion for them when they get c0vid.

The innocent ones being destroyed by the anti vax are children, those with severe medical issues and especially those involved in healthcare.

becca

Honestly I am in some ways done with ********* myself. Please don’t get me wrong I wear a mask at Church or in the store.

I also already have my booster shot. So I wouldn’t say I am taking no precautions but other than I am living my life. ********* is here to stay.

I don’t feel sorry for the unvaccinated. Other than those who cannot

mikey

...an acquired taste
you live in Baden-Württemberg? Stuttgart really is the main center of all cov-idiots in Germany....My friend lives there and is aghast. Here in the North West of Germany the responses, the vaccination rates etc are better and surpringly (not) the numbers are much lower then in Saxony or Bavaria with the low vaccination rates and "freeeeeedoooooom" criers.
I'm in Rheinland-Pfalz (Kaiserslautern) - not exactly the most progressive of states :cool: That being said, I really do love living in Germany. I'm not sure I could wrap my head around living in the States right now.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I am not sure it is that much better at the moment. I am frankly appalled by the behavior of some of my fellow citizens.

Judy

it is pretty horrible. Most people show common sense and are cautious but about 10% (I guess) take no precautions at all and rebel against everything and about another 20-30% are fed up with it all, don't want to be in a pand*emic any longer (guess what, me neither) and are living as if everything was normal. But I think that is also because of our strict responses earlier. So we got it under control pretty well in each wave and no catastrophes happenend here so lots of people think that it is not as dire as predicted.
The cause-effect that it did not get worse because we were cautious is too hard for some brains...
Are your vaccinations low?

Judy

yes. under 70% fully vaxxed
The only way out is vaccinations. There is no country that has done this perfect .. I can only speak for my province. It has been a non stop and I guess aggressive push for vaccinations. There are def fumbles. Everyone is sick of it for sure. Stay safe.

Dobre

Oregon has fewer than 400 hospitalizations today for the first time since the start of the Delta surge last summer. (Anything over 300 is a strain on the health care system). 103 deaths were reported over the past 3 days. Over 5,000 people have now died in the state (and we remain the state with the 4th fewest cases per capita throughout the *********).

-----

I feel like there are some things that I need to add back into both my job & my life in order to do the best I can. Some risks I intend put back into my interactions with children because those activities will 1. improve learning and 2. parents will have had the opportunity to get their children fully vaccinated here prior to the start of the new year. I'm sure schools and child care facilities will be doing this as well. Sitting side by side with students who need help, pulling several kids aside at tables for simultaneous assistance, permitting lines among kids waiting for help so that they get assistance in the most timely fashion possible & in a more fair way than when waiting to be noticed. Games that involve movement & proximity. Bringing classrooms together for shared reading or reward movie days or theater productions or assemblies, etc. More limited interactions at first because unfortunately children do not have the option of making the choice about being vaccinated themselves and because many will have parents that don't take this step initially. And because schools won't want to have to shut down everything if spread occurs. But some of these things are going to return to regular learning & regular life, and it will be up to families to protect their children as best they can. I'd anticipate there will also be a return to things like Outdoor School and fieldtrips--hopefully at first with new safety protocols in place. But again, there are still a whole lot of aspects of regular life that need to return just to guarantee maximum learning. These aren't examples of people being tired of living in a difficult situation, but many people have been "making do" on a temporary basis at the expense of learning or of other important aspects of their lives. Some of those things genuinely need to recommence.

If safety protocols are removed, that will only hinder the ability to actually get back to a more regular existence. I find it ironic that people think removing masks is giving them a more regular life, when in a lot of ways, the opposite is true. The longer it takes for people to be vaccinated & the fewer safety protocols that are in place, the longer it takes society to get other aspects of "regular life" up & running. Meanwhile, the more people vaccinated, the more opportunity there is to get closer to "regular life."

mikey

...an acquired taste
yes. under 70% fully vaxxed
That being said, there have been 3 "Impfbus" days (vaccine buses providing mobile immunizations) around here recently and the local response has been incredible, with several hundreds of people showing up to get vaccinated. Maybe going from 3G to 2G is actually working.

once_upon

Vaccinated
Honestly the only # I'm interested in these days are vaccination numbers.

And the # of hospital beds/ICU beds available-which indicates how exhausted our healthcare staff is.

Until the first # goes up we won't see the second # go down.

I'm so fricking tired of the selfish unvaccinated killing our healthcare people. Maybe not from c0vid but from the demand to take care of the unvaccinated.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
That being said, there have been 3 "Impfbus" days (vaccine buses providing mobile immunizations) around here recently and the local response has been incredible, with several hundreds of people showing up to get vaccinated. Maybe going from 3G to 2G is actually working.
Seeing the numbers it is mostly booster though.
but yes, I do hope so.

Susan1

As of Monday, Nov. 22, ODH reports a total of 1,647,237 (+4,370) cases, leading to 84,319 (+187) hospitalizations and 10,577 (+24) admissions into the ICU. A total of 6,692,093 people — or 57.25% of the state’s population — have at least started the vaccination process, according to ODH data, an increase of 5,117 from the previous day.

From Monday-Sunday last week, ODH reported 38,379 cases, the third consecutive week-to-week increase after cases declined for six straight weeks coming off a peak in the Delta variant wave of 48,580 weekly cases.

The 21-day case average now sits at 4,645, up from 3,935 a week ago. Sunday was the 15th-straight day that average has increased, the longest streak since September.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Way back over Memorial Day weekend in 2020, when Lady Figureskates and I came down with the crud, within 48 hours she developed symptoms of Parkinson’s plus she developed anxiety and panic attacks. Since day one, I blamed c0vid for what happened.

until about 2 weeks ago, I figured this was just an isolated incident. Two weeks ago at our weekly coffee club meeting, we mentioned this fact and one of our coffee club members said this is exactly what happened to the father of her son in law.

Last Sunday, Lady Figureskates talked to her brother in Phoenix and mentioned this to him. Turned out that the wives of three of his friends got the same thing. In fact, the panic attacks are so bad in two of them, that they cannot leave the house. Finally, one our neighbor‘s friend experienced the same thing.

‘’My general question to all of you out there is the following:

Have you or do you know someone who has had the crud then developed anxiety attacks, panic attacks, or symptoms of Parkinson’s afterwards. Some of the hospitals in our area are now recognizing that the crud can cause neurological problems And I am trying to get Lady Figureskates enrolled in a study and as ammunition I want to relate that I know of X number of similar cases.

once_upon

Vaccinated
@FGRSK8 hopefully this article isn't behind a paywall, but it is a devastating account of one person's experience post c0vid

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
@FGRSK8 hopefully this article isn't behind a paywall, but it is a devastating account of one person's experience post c0vid

I was able to read it and I agree that it due to some kind of inflammation of the brain as well as the immune system. An interesting side note is that Ivan is from Bainbridge Island, where my brother lives.

Dobre

Oregon has 869 new cases today. 51 deaths.

Gilliam County now has 50% of adults with at least one dose. (This leaves 3 counties left to reach this benchmark).

The outdoor mask mandate has been rescinded due to falling case numbers. We have less than 100,000 more people to vaccinate before reaching 3 million people with at least 1 dose. (The state has 4.2 million people).

Miezekatze

Except we have the same thing going on in the US so I think it's just human nature when a crisis goes on for too long and nothing anything specific any countries have done.

I think people are not going to go back to caring, so I think states have to adapt their strategies against *********-19 based on this.

IMO German mentality is not so different from Eastern Europeans, so all this waiting that people will go back to taking the ********* seriously if they are constantly asked to do so, is going to achieve absolutely nothing.

IMO we need to concentrate on offering vaccinations and boosters at the right point of time fast and effectively, which is where we are completely failing. :rolleyes:

I think also many people in Germany are really mad at the governement by now, because of the failure to offer vaccinations in time (here it's nearly as hard to get a booster shot now than it was to get the initial shot in spring), plus because the government didn't take harsh actions to get more unvaccinated people vaccinated earlier, which doesn't exactly help causing discipline or rule compliance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information