News & Experiences continued

Judy

I know in Ontario they rapidly changed the protocol for who gets vaccines to include pregnant women asap. My cousin's friend who was pregnant ended up in the hospital with severe ********* (I believe she successfully pulled through).

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...ers-of-pregnant-women-in-intensive-care-units

Sorry I always forget about the banned word. I'll cut and paste some of it.

Ottawa high risk obstetrician and researcher Dr. Mark Walker admits he is terrified by the number of pregnant women ending up in intensive care units across the province with *********-19 — including in Ottawa. There have never been this many pregnant women in ICU in the history of our country, or our province. This is unprecedented.”

In Ottawa, the number was less than six (Walker cannot be more specific for privacy reasons) as of earlier this week, but in some intensive care units in Toronto, pregnant women now represent half, or more, of the critically ill *********-19 patients, a large percentage of them on ventilators. The situation has reached critical levels in recent weeks.

The women Walker is seeing in intensive care are the sickest pregnant women he has ever treated during his 20-year career as an obstetrician, he says.

“It is heartbreaking and terrifying,” he said. “These are young, otherwise healthy women.”

Walker is joining an urgent call by physicians and national and provincial organizations representing obstetricians and gynecologists to prioritize pregnant women for vaccines. Currently, unless they are in other priority groups, pregnant women are not getting vaccinated yet. In Ontario, pregnancy is listed among at-risk health conditions. People in that category are scheduled to get vaccinated starting around mid-to-late May. AstraZeneca is now available to people over 40, but that excludes many pregnant women.

Last edited:

Judy

I know in Ontario they rapidly changed the protocol for who gets vaccines to include pregnant women asap. My cousin's friend who was pregnant ended up in the hospital with severe ********* (I believe she successfully pulled through).

Sorry I always forget about the banned word. I'll cut and paste some of it.

Ottawa high risk obstetrician and researcher Dr. Mark Walker admits he is terrified by the number of pregnant women ending up in intensive care units across the province with *********-19 — including in Ottawa. There have never been this many pregnant women in ICU in the history of our country, or our province. This is unprecedented.”

In Ottawa, the number was less than six (Walker cannot be more specific for privacy reasons) as of earlier this week, but in some intensive care units in Toronto, pregnant women now represent half, or more, of the critically ill *********-19 patients, a large percentage of them on ventilators. The situation has reached critical levels in recent weeks.

The women Walker is seeing in intensive care are the sickest pregnant women he has ever treated during his 20-year career as an obstetrician, he says.

“It is heartbreaking and terrifying,” he said. “These are young, otherwise healthy women.”

Walker is joining an urgent call by physicians and national and provincial organizations representing obstetricians and gynecologists to prioritize pregnant women for vaccines. Currently, unless they are in other priority groups, pregnant women are not getting vaccinated yet. In Ontario, pregnancy is listed among at-risk health conditions. People in that category are scheduled to get vaccinated starting around mid-to-late May. AstraZeneca is now available to people over 40, but that excludes many pregnant women.
So yah I wouldn't want to take a risk with pregnancy etc. I'd get vaccinated.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Snow leopard dies of CV19 at South Dakota zoo.

Snow leopard dies, five remaining big cats have *********-19 symptoms at Sioux Falls zoo​

A snow leopard died Thursday as the five remaining big cats at the Sioux Falls zoo continue to experience *********-19 symptoms.

Baya was a "playful and sweet" snow leopard, according to a news release from the Great Plains Zoo. Snow leopards are rated as "vulnerable" in the wild.

"Despite having such care and compassion and passion to make sure that these animals receive the best care we possibly can give, it's hard when we lose an animal," said zoo CEO Becky Dewitz. "And it's even harder when it is a sudden loss as what we saw with Baya and with her young age as only being 2.5-years."

million$momma

I went to my school’s field hockey game today. To get there I had to walk by a bunch of youth soccer fields. On my drive home I drove by our football game. And I didn’t see one single child playing an outdoor sport in a mask. How confusing.
My daughter is playing field hockey. They have very strict rules in place to keep the teens safe, but they are loving being back on the field! All students and staff must be double vaccinated. Masks must be worn to the event and on the sidelines, but are not necessary on the playing field of course.

Our district did announce that they are only playing in their local region this year though. They will not be travelling to compete at WOSSA or OFSSA this year. This makes complete sense to me and my daughter, the athlete is fine with it. She doesn't care where she plays or who they play, just that she gets to play!

Judy

I went to my school’s field hockey game today. To get there I had to walk by a bunch of youth soccer fields. On my drive home I drove by our football game. And I didn’t see one single child playing an outdoor sport in a mask. How confusing.
I haven't seen it at all here either.

Judy

I haven't seen it at all here either.
I will say that if parents feel that is best for them I am not going to judge that at all.

Nova Scotia has closed their borders? My friend's parents were going to travel this week to visit her elderly parents.

skategal

Bunny mama
I will say that if parents feel that is best for them I am not going to judge that at all.

Nova Scotia has closed their borders? My friend's parents were going to travel this week to visit her elderly parents.
Nope. But you have to isolate 14 days if you aren’t vaccinated. 7 days if you have 1 dose.

You might be confused with NB who is having a 2 week circuit breaker lockdown in affected areas such as Moncton and the Northeast IIRC.

Parsley Sage

I think you need to apply to travel to both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think you need to apply to travel to both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.
You do. Also PEI and NFLD.

You have to be tested upon entry to PEI regardless of vaccination status.

But the only province in Atlantic Region having any type of lockdown right now is NB.

Judy

You do. Also PEI and NFLD.

You have to be tested upon entry to PEI regardless of vaccination status.

But the only province in Atlantic Region having any type of lockdown right now is NB.
Oh I knew that before the summer for family that travelled down that you had to register, etc and ********* test. I assumed it was Nova Scotia. My friends parents were travelling to Halifax by car. I did send them a listing of reasonable flights. When they were looking it was extremely expensive apparently but I found very good prices. The parents are 83 so I hope they can make it down at some point.

skategal

Bunny mama
Oh I knew that before the summer for family that travelled down that you had to register, etc and ********* test. I assumed it was Nova Scotia. My friends parents were travelling to Halifax by car. I did send them a listing of reasonable flights. When they were looking it was extremely expensive apparently but I found very good prices. The parents are 83 so I hope they can make it down at some point.
If they were driving, they probably called if off because of having to drive through NB.

I’m not sure what the restrictions are for that right now. Or if they could even get in.

My ILs are here in Halifax with us for Thanksgiving but they flew here.

They had no issues at all coming here beyond filling out the form.

Judy

If they were driving, they probably called if off because of having to drive through NB.

I’m not sure what the restrictions are for that right now. Or if they could even get in.

My ILs are here in Halifax with us for Thanksgiving but they flew here.

They had no issues at all coming here beyond filling out the form.
Yup flying isn't a problem. It sounds like they wouldn't be able to get in though. Have a nice thanksgiving with your family!

manhn

BC is opening up registration for 5-11, I guess they expect Health Canada to approve vaccination for that age group. Not sure why they don’t just go to schools and get it done, instead of kids being expected to go to a clinic. I will say our vaccination rates are as high as they are because of the will of the population, not because it was all that easy to do.

Judy

BC is opening up registration for 5-11, I guess they expect Health Canada to approve vaccination for that age group. Not sure why they don’t just go to schools and get it done, instead of kids being expected to go to a clinic. I will say our vaccination rates are as high as they are because of the will of the population, not because it was all that easy to do.
The expectation is that it will be approved. i think it's easier to set up vaccination clinics.

Dobre

Hospital system says it will deny transplants to the unvaccinated in ‘almost all situations’​

This seems pretty obvious, considering how difficult it is to get a transplant. I know I've read a few articles with patients who had chosen not to be vaccinated expressing the hope of receiving a transplant, and I read at least one article early on in the ********* about how some hospital systems had loosened their transplant criteria for ********* patients (whose bodies were so damaged from ********* that the patients typically wouldn't qualify for transplantation); but generally speaking, there aren't enough healthy organs for patients in the best of times. People who make choices that compromise their own health don't get them. It shocked me that neither of the two unvaccinated patients I read about who were hoping for transplants seemed to understand that. I'm not one of those people who thinks unvaccinated patients shouldn't receive equal care in the face of most health care shortages; but I've always thought of organ transplantation as an extraordinary measure with extraordinary health-related criteria. The person who died & donated the organ is trying to save a life. You can't expect to get that organ if you make a choice that compromises the possible survival of that life.

ETA: To clarify, the two patients I'm referencing were not only unvaccinated but had declined to make a commitment to become vaccinated once recovered.

Last edited:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I’m in the middle of a four day trip on the Northern California/Southern Oregon coast, which consist of rural, red counties, just like mine. And unlike my own mostly maskless county that lost 24 people to CV last week, almost everyone we see on the trip is complying and gracious about it, too. What a difference. No wonder we’re dropping like flies.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I’m in the middle of a four day trip on the Northern California/Southern Oregon coast, which consist of rural, red counties, just like mine. And unlike my own mostly maskless county that lost 24 people to CV last week, almost everyone we see on the trip is complying and gracious about it, too. What a difference. No wonder we’re dropping like flies.
Do you think that's because of your local politicians fanning the flames?

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Do you think that's because of your local politicians fanning the flames?
Our local politicians are not fanning the flames. With one exception, they are all conservative Republicans, just not cult Republicans. It’s the local recall activists, militia group leaders, anti-vaxxers, and Trump fanatics who are very active with protests, occupying council chambers, etc., who are to blame for instigating defiance of health mandates and practices.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Our local politicians are not fanning the flames. With one exception, they are all conservative Republicans, just not cult Republicans. It’s the local recall activists, militia group leaders, anti-vaxxers, and Trump fanatics who are very active with protests, occupying council chambers, etc., who are to blame for instigating defiance of health mandates and practices.
They might not be fanning the flames but by going along with Trump and all the other Republicans, they built the fire in the first place.

Dobre

They might not be fanning the flames but by going along with Trump and all the other Republicans, they built the fire in the first place.
I think there are some very locally-driven issues that make certain parts of northern California & southern Oregon (Klamath County) strongly anti-government. Not just traditionally Republican but hostile toward any form of government control. (The lack of water in the region is a serious problem and is costing people their traditional livelihoods).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yeah, there has to be something specific to those counties if other counties where people vote similarly are following the rules for the most part but they are not.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Well this is sobering.

One in six patients requiring the NHS’s highest form of life-saving care are unvaccinated pregnant women with *********, new figures reveal.
Twenty of the 118 patients with ********* who received extra corporeal membrane oxygenation (Ecmo) between July and September were mothers-to-be, NHS England said.
Of these, 19 had not had a jab and the other had only had one dose of a vaccine.

mackiecat

The other issue about pregnant patients in iCU ( in Ontario at least) is that those rooms don’t have the neonatal equipment for the baby in the ICU. They have to rely on periodically scheduled monitoring instead

Also pregnant women can’t be put in the prone position on their stomach which is a common position that helps

Judy

The other issue about pregnant patients in iCU ( in Ontario at least) is that those rooms don’t have the neonatal equipment for the baby in the ICU. They have to rely on periodically scheduled monitoring instead

Also pregnant women can’t be put in the prone position on their stomach which is a common position that helps
I have no idea what they have or don't have but I think the most important thing is for a woman to figure it out with her doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information