News & Experiences continued

Dobre

“Job applicants said they were excited to join a company that took employee safety seriously. United has received 20,000 applications for about 2,000 flight attendant positions, a much higher ratio than before the *********.”

And if California mandates vaccinations for students before the rest of the country, you'd better believe the state will have better teaching applicants as well.

Dobre

The Portland Trail Blazers Are 100% Vaccinated​

This was the last day in Oregon for teachers & health care workers to get their second doses in order to be in compliance in time for the October 18th deadline. The state reported 3,286 new cases over the past 3 days. 8 deaths. 769 hospitalizations. 6,000+ vaccinations reported for today, the majority of which were for 3rd doses. According to one article, new case numbers are down 36% from the summer high. Eastern Oregon is still mostly red on the NYT map. Hospital beds are still over 90% full.

Last edited:

Dobre

Per NPR, the following states are now in orange: Illinois, Hawaii, Louisiana, California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, & Maryland.
(This is better than last week).

The rest of the states are in red.

Puerto Rico is in yellow. D.C. is in orange.

States with the most cases per capita: Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, Montana.

MsZem

I don't think anyone with a brain would say Ardern has failed, or any other leader who was pursuing zero.
Agreed. You make decisions based on the situation you have, and Delta & vaccines calls for a different approach than CV-zero.

After all, she doesn't have 700,000+ dead New Zealanders and a health care system on the verge of collapse, so she's done well by her people.
Well, you have to adjust this to the size of the population.

But yes, NZ still did very well, though it has come at a cost (to New Zealanders who couldn't come home, most obviously).

Miezekatze

According to newest polls only 12% of Germans are still worried about ********* being a health threat to them.

17% are worried about mental health effects.

11% are worried about their economic situation.

That's the lowest numbers since the beginning of the *********. It fits my impression that everybody here seems to have resumed normal life.

IMO that means that the rest restrictions need to be very logical and simple, because otherwise people will be annoyed and ignore them even more than they already do.

skategal

Bunny mama
Nova Scotia has moved into modified stage 5 of reopening “Living with CV.”

We have kept the indoor places mask mandate but the only other restrictions are for the unvaccinated.

Proof of vaccine policy (not a passport :lol:) went into effect yesterday.

Vaccination rate is at 75% total population fully vaccinated (@ 85% eligible population).

Many employee vaccine mandates announced the past week (healthcare, teachers and staff, correctional workers, child care workers.)

Jimena

Puerto Rico is in yellow.
Does. Not. Get. Old.

And in terms of percent positivity in NAAT lab tests, we are in blue. Beautiful blue.

We went to the movies this weekend (to watch a terrible movie unfortunately, but that is beside the point) and to a trampoline park the weekend before. My daughter goes to ballet and hip hop classes. She does PE and plays outside with her friends daily. She's had uninterrupted in person school since early August. I'm still fully working from home and we decided to foster a dog. We were foster failing in 3 days. She's now ours.

We go to parks on a weekly basis, ride bikes, and go to the beach. 80% of our eligible population is fully vaccinated. We are doing well. And things are almost back to normal.

cygnus

Agreed. You make decisions based on the situation you have, and Delta & vaccines calls for a different approach than CV-zero.

Well, you have to adjust this to the size of the population.

But yes, NZ still did very well, though it has come at a cost (to New Zealanders who couldn't come home, most obviously).
Well yes, but even adjusted for population the numbers are pretty good. USA cases per 1000- 134, deaths per thousand 2.1. New Zealand cases per 1000- 0.3, deaths .005 (ie 27 in the whole country since the beginning). This does not sound like a failure to me. And yes sacrifices were made, and NZ has geographic advantages in its isolation, but still it could have gone another way and didn't.

(Edited to fix the number of total deaths)

Last edited:

MsZem

Well yes, but even adjusted for population the numbers are pretty good. USA cases per 1000- 134, deaths per thousand 2.1. New Zealand cases per 1000- 0.3, deaths .005 (ie 5 in the whole country since the beginning).

I think I was pretty clear on this in my post?

Susan1

Today -

Yesterday -

Two more Ohio stories just showed up on the yahoo newsfeed -

sk8pics

We're still debating her name. She came with a name that's way too similar to my daughter's (one letter difference). So we are still thinking about it. For now she's Mali. She's an adorable shaggy rug of a doggie that has completely stolen our hearts.

I don't know how to paste pictures here!
You have to post the pictures on a photo sharing site, like photobucket or something else, and then post the link here.

Mali is a cute name! I am so happy for you —and her!

Susan1

We're still debating her name. She came with a name that's way too similar to my daughter's (one letter difference). So we are still thinking about it. For now she's Mali. She's an adorable shaggy rug of a doggie that has completely stolen our hearts.

I don't know how to paste pictures here!
You could make it your profile picture and let us know to look there.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

sk8pics

I got my flu shot today and the pharmacist told me I could get a booster Moderna shot if I were immunocompromised. I'm not sure that's right. Anyway, I declined. The formal recommendations for Modern boosters will be out in a couple of weeks.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I got my flu shot today and the pharmacist told me I could get a booster Moderna shot if I were immunocompromised. I'm not sure that's right. Anyway, I declined. The formal recommendations for Modern boosters will be out in a couple of weeks.
Probably a good decision to wait. I’m also waiting for the Moderna booster to get the official approval (it’s been just over 7 months since my second shot). I think I read that Moderna was applying for a half-dose (50 microgram) booster which likely would mean less intense side effects. Moderna 2nd shot really kicked my butt for 36 hours, so a bit less would suit me fine.

Miezekatze

Probably a good decision to wait. I’m also waiting for the Moderna booster to get the official approval (it’s been just over 7 months since my second shot). I think I read that Moderna was applying for a half-dose (50 microgram) booster which likely would mean less intense side effects. Moderna 2nd shot really kicked my butt for 36 hours, so a bit less would suit me fine.
Sweden has just stopped using Moderna for under 30 year olds and Denmark has stopped it for under 18 year old. Those age groups will only get Pfizer.

They say for younger people there's a bit more serious side effects (like myocarditis) than with Pfizer.

Jimena

Congrats! What’s her name? Pictures!

Ummm yes!!! Please share!

(Sorry I know you weren't the original poster)

You have to post the pictures on a photo sharing site, like photobucket or something else, and then post the link here.

Mali is a cute name! I am so happy for you —and her!

You could make it your profile picture and let us know to look there.

It tried to make me join.

I just made her my avatar in my profile. That's Mali! Foster fail perfection.

Seriously, there are some behavioral issues but nothing that some training won't correct. Otherwise, she's loving and playful and cuddly and very funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information