News & Experiences continued

Dobre

That sounds about right. The point is it was not 901 deaths that occurred on on day but rather it was the daily death count plus those that occurred earlier but were not logged.
Yes, essentially all these deaths are from this surge.

Florida changed its reporting system in the middle of the surge, knowing it would push back the reporting for the number of deaths.

I have read about many states reporting backlogged deaths after surges. Usually states fall behind when a bad surge is happening. This is the first time I have read about the reporting rules being changed while cases were surging. Regardless, it was common knowledge that Florida wasn't reporting all of its deaths the past couple weeks.

Parsley Sage

Ontario had 781 new cases with 3 new deaths and another 14 deaths due to “data clean up”. We are at around 76% fully vaccinated and about 83% with at least one dose. Ontario‘s vaccination rate has slowed to a crawl. I personally know a couple of people who refuses to get vaccinated or to let their children be vaccinated and there is no talking to them. They have an answer for everything and refuses to budge. Ontario’s top doctor says further reopening should not happen until at least 90% are fully vaccinated but I doubt that figure is realistic. There is growing pressure for vaccine passports/certification but the Doug Ford government is still saying no.

PM Trudeau is all for vaccine certificates.
Buzz, you must know my sister and her family. She's convinced she's allergic to the vaccine as she's had allergic reations to things in the past. Her granddaughter keeps saying that the vaccines are volunatary so she doesn't need one. her son-inlaw enjoys the freedom he has in Texas and says he wouldn't be very compliant with the "martial law" that was imposed in Ontario.

Good news though:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Yes, essentially all these deaths are from this surge.

Florida changed its reporting system in the middle of the surge, knowing it would push back the reporting for the number of deaths.

I have read about many states reporting backlogged deaths after surges. Usually states fall behind when a bad surge is happening. This is the first time I have read about the reporting rules being changed while cases were surging. Regardless, it was common knowledge that Florida wasn't reporting all of its deaths the past couple weeks.
Actually many states have changed reporting rules as the P progressed. Our state changed about a year ago.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The National Religious Broadcasters fired a senior vice president because he spoke out in favor of vaccinations.

(RNS) — The spokesman for a major evangelical nonprofit was fired for promoting vaccines on the MSNBC “Morning Joe” cable news show, Religion News Service has learned.

Daniel Darling, senior vice president of communications for the National Religious Broadcasters, was fired Friday (Aug. 27) after refusing to recant his pro-vaccine statements, according to a source authorized to speak for Darling.

Meanwhile, over at Liberty University...

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) — Liberty University announced a temporary campus-wide quarantine Thursday amid a spike in *********-19 cases...

As the university began its fall semester this week, the university, which doesn’t require vaccination, lifted building capacity restrictions and distancing and masking requirements. The university changed its protocol late Thursday to enact the campus-wide quarantine, moving classes online and suspending large indoor gatherings...

The university will encourage masking and social distancing and host vaccine clinics on campus, but it didn’t indicate it would mandate those measures.

Dobre

Here's an article about Florida, its uneven reporting system, and how many deaths all these uneven numbers average out to:
(Also, something I noticed yesterday was that you can't google any recent deaths for Florida counties anymore. I was wondering how Miami-Dade County's number of deaths stacked up against counties with lower vaccination rates, but the google charts for the Florida Counties I checked were just flatlined since June 11th).

Florida’s most recent *********-19 death toll continues climbing to new historic worsts​

"The number of people dying of *********-19 in Florida continued to get worse in the past seven days, as the state set another record Friday with a weekly report tallying 1,727 new deaths acknowledged since last Friday.

With that report, Florida has averaged reporting more than 200 new *********-19 deaths per day over a three-week stretch of August — the worst period of mortality seen in the Sunshine State’s entire 18-month ******** *********.

That level also means that in recent weeks *********-19 might be the leading cause of death in Florida. *********-19 deaths are being reported at a pace that exceeds what is typical for either heart disease or cancer, normally the two biggest killers in Florida.

That level also is far higher than what any other state is suffering this Summer."

"Reporting on Florida’s *********-19 death rate is a task fraught with difficulty, as the state no longer publicly discloses dates of deaths for *********-19 fatalities.

The way *********-19 death reports percolate from local officials to state officials, and then to federal officials, information from those reports can take days or weeks to be tabulated, and often finally reaches the public domain in big, mixed batches some days. Meanwhile, on other days almost no new Florida *********-19 death reports get tabulated for public disclosure.

For example, on Thursday, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services daily report showed that Florida had just presented 901 new death cases in one day, as reported Thursday by the Miami Herald. The day before though, the federal agency showed that Florida sent information on just nine new *********-19 fatalities. The day before that, Florida presented just six. And there is no clear way to trace those 901 deaths to any given day or days."

Over 4,000 ********* cases in Alabama schools with a third of districts reporting​

Dobre

Oregon has a new high of 3,207 new cases today:(. Many schools open Monday. 20 deaths. 1098 hospitalizations. 11,100+ vaccinations. Deschutes County, which has over 70% of the adult population vaccinated but also has the ill fortune of being surrounded by Republican counties has almost 300 cases today. Lane County, which also has over 70% of the adult population vaccinated but unfortunately shares a border with hot-mess & low-vaccinated Douglas County, also has almost 300 cases today. Jackson County & Marion County have over 300 cases. Washington, which is arguably the most vaccinated county in the state has over 200. (Lot of people live in WA county, but its numbers were staying relatively low until this week).

Usually after a day with news this bad, the governor makes an announcement the following day about what we are going to do about it, but we're heading into the weekend.

So Monday or Tuesday? I don't even want to see the numbers for Monday & Tuesday. Reporting every day, including the weekends, was less overwhelming.

Dad reports that my sister is having a crummy week dealing with patients who are stubbornly refusing to take good health advice.

Dobre

They had a news story about a 30 yr old man who died, not of C-19, but of a neurological condition and a lack of an ICU bed. I think it was in Missouri

Now the friend of the family did say that it's possible he would have died in any case, but they will never know.
There's this one too in Texas.

********* live updates: Army vet who needed surgery died due to lack of hospital beds, report states​

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...pdates-houston-news-delta-deaths-16385185.php

"A U.S. Army veteran died last week when he arrived at a hospital in Bellville because no beds were available in intensive care units in nearby counties. He died from gallstone pancreatitis."

"Wilkinson, who served two deployments in Afghanistan and received a Purple Heart, died at the age of 46.

'I've never lost a patient from this diagnosis, ever,' said Bellville ER's Dr. Hasan Kakli. 'We know what needs to be done and we know how to treat it, and we get them to where they need to go. I'm scared that the next patient that I see is someone that I can't get to where they need to get to go.

"We are playing musical chairs, with 100 people and 10 chairs,' he said. 'When the music stops, what happens? People from all over the world come to Houston to get medical care and, right now, Houston can't take care of patients from the next town over. That's the reality.'"

Dragonlady

Sew Happy

canbelto

I cannot with this.

Russell Wallace, who also came down with *********-19, said that he was in the hospital with his son for 13 days, but his condition has improved enough for him to return home.

Despite his own illness and his son’s dire condition, Mr. Wallace said he still firmly believes that masks are ineffective and that the government should not mandate masks or vaccinations. He himself, however, has decided to “look into” getting the shots.

“Personally for me, I’m not so hesitant about the vaccinations now,” he said. “I’ve stared down that barrel and quite honestly, it scared the hell out of me.”

Dobre

Hawaii breaks single-day records with 1,035 new *********-19 cases, 9 ********-related deaths​

Washington (State) lays out penalties for schools that ignore ********* mandates​

Nearly 13,000 kids diagnosed with *********-19 this week in Georgia​

Schwinn to consider waivers to shift schools to virtual learning as ********* cases spike in Tennessee​

https://tn.chalkbeat.org/2021/8/27/...al-learning-schwinn-tennessee-schools-waivers
:rolleyes: How generous. Permission to teach the kids virtually for 7 days when your building is shut down because everyone got sick because the governor won't allow schools to require masks for kids whose parents opt them out. And what will schools do when they have to shut down again because 7 days isn't long enough to stop infections? Anyway, Tennessee's anti-safety protocols + anti-virtual-learning policy have put the state between a rock & a hard place. Based on all the articles on this topic from there the last couple days, it appears that there's clearly some backlash going on now, and I guess the state will sort this out. Eventually. This looks like the first step.

An eighth grade boy died in Oklahoma yesterday and a child died in Virginia today.:cry:

More Texas students tested positive for *********-19 last week than at any time last school year​

There have been 20,256 reported cases among students across the state since the school year began.
"Even as some Texas schools hadn’t yet started the school year, the number of positive *********-19 student cases statewide reported last week surpassed the peak seen any time last year, state data released Friday shows.

Between Aug. 16 and Aug. 22, there were 14,033 positive cases reported among students across the state, 34% more than the week with the most student cases reported last school year, the Department of State Health Services data shows. Last week’s totals also represent a 182% increase from the week ending Aug. 15, though fewer students were in school then."

'A really big problem': Pregnant women across Indiana being hit hard by *********-19​

(Definitely a pattern in more places than Indiana. Yesterday I saw a post saying that one ICU in Alabama had at least 10 pregnant women in it. I also keep reading that adult patients going into ICUs are not making it out with Delta--that doctors & nurses in ICUs were seeing more survivor success stories last year, but during this wave, they feel like those wins are not happening). Indiana's curve looks like it's getting steeper.

‘I don’t know how much longer we can do this’ says emotional Alabama state health officer​

Link to a video clip here.

anonymoose_au

The latest from NSW...another day of over 1,000 cases, ambulance services struggling to keep up, ICUs straining and our Government declares...

Weddings.

Yes, from 3 September you can have a wedding with up to five people (vaccinated or not) along with a presider and photographer and who knows who else.

Honestly my state is run by absolute idiots...or malicious scumbags. Take your pick, either way we're screwed.

MsZem

Thoughts and prayers ...

One can still have empathy for the wife, who reportedly wasn't an extremist like her husband and has three little kids and a fourth due next month. SAHM, so no money coming in now. This is what her husband's stupidity has done. It's what the people selling him and others on this conspiracy crap have done to her.

She, and the girls, do not deserve this any more than anyone else who has suffered due to CV.

Dobre

New Orleans. Facing a possible Category 4 hurricane with hospitals full of patients.

Ida Aims to Hit Louisiana on Hurricane Katrina Anniversary​

"Officials decided against evacuating New Orleans hospitals. There’s little room for their patients elsewhere, with hospitals from Texas to Florida already reeling from a spike in ******** patients, said Dr. Jennifer Avengo, the city’s health director.

At the state's largest hospital system, Ochsner Health System, officials ordered 10 days worth of fuel, food, drugs and other supplies and have backup fuel contracts for its generators. One positive was that the number of *********-19 patients had dropped from 988 to 836 over the past week — a 15% decline.

President Joe Biden approved a federal emergency declaration for Louisiana ahead of the storm. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said FEMA plans to send nearly 150 medical personnel and almost 50 ambulances to the Gulf Coast to assist strained hospitals."

MsZem

Weddings.

Yes, from 3 September you can have a wedding with up to five people (vaccinated or not) along with a presider and photographer and who knows who else.

Honestly my state is run by absolute idiots...or malicious scumbags. Take your pick, either way we're screwed.

You're not getting to C0VID zero again. New Zealand may yet manage it, but even they are facing a challenge with Delta:

It's time to find a way to deal with this that does not involve endless lockdowns and isolation. Allowing people to get married with an absolutely tiny number of others present is a reasonable compromise between precautionary measures and recognizing that people are human and deserve to be treated as such.

I really don't understand the extreme takes from some of the Australians here. Of course the goal is not to be Sweden or Florida, but some of the comments I'm seeing - about politicians (fair enough) but also fellow citizens are so judgmental and angry. Why would anyone want to go about like this? It's stressful, depressing and exhausting. It's not helpful, either. You can't keep applying short-term, 2020 solutions to a long-term challenge.

Dobre

And yet . . . China.

Australia is 36% vaccinated. Their curve is going almost straight up. If they can limit spread to specific geographic locations & crush it with vaccinations, they can crush the Delta variant. It seems that Singapore & Denmark have done so.

Dobre

Is their data trustworthy? If anyone looked into remote/poor villages/towns, would they find no YKW cases either or would they find villages/towns ravaged by YKW?
Probably not. But we know what happened there initially. We also know Iran was digging mass graves.

Dobre

Hey, check it out. Someone in Southern Oregon finally spoke up & critiqued local commissioners for their lousy leadership. It's about time.

Jackson County commissioners to address open letter criticizing *********-19 response​

A list of current and former local leaders drafted the letter, which urges Jackson County's commissioners to 'take a more active leadership role' in responding to *********-19

"The letter, promulgated on Wednesday, addresses the surge in *********-19 cases and hospitalizations in the Rogue Valley. While it praises county administration and staff in their response, it criticizes the county commissioners for failing to advocate masking, social distancing, or vaccinations.

'As a result, many of our citizens still feel that all is well. Britt has had concerts where masking was 'recommended' but followed by few,' the signatories wrote. 'Few masks could be seen at our recent County Fair. Vaccination clinics have either reduced hours or closed down because of a lack of demand.'

The letter goes on to say that the current rate of spread could cause businesses or schools to close, in addition to further depleting critical medical and public health staff — asking the commissioners to take a 'more active leadership role' in responding to the *********.

'Speak strongly and frequently to your constituents about the usefulness of Public Health measures, such as masking,' the letter continues. 'Encourage all the unvaccinated to get their shots, so that they and their family members, friends and fellow workers do not end up on unattended gurneys in hospital hallways or suffer a premature death.'"

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Is their data trustworthy? If anyone looked into remote/poor villages/towns, would they find no YKW cases either or would they find villages/towns ravaged by YKW?
I would not trust word one out of China about this thing. Likely it is ravaging the countryside. All the countries ringing China are showing high case numbers which are increasing in some cases. It doesn’t magically stop at the border. Also inside North Korea it is probably ravaging as well.

anonymoose_au

I really don't understand the extreme takes from some of the Australians here.
Because as previously mentioned we were in a good place! We had it under control... Then our PM screwed up the vaccine roll out, leaving us vulnerable.

Then the Government of my own state let the situation go out of control with bogus claims that no-one could see Delta coming (despite the fact that we did, that same PM literally threatened to jail anyone trying to escape India to Australia during their Delta outbreak because "it was that dangerous").

Basically racism (what happened in back water India could never happen in Australia) and a slavish determination to keep the economy going (because nothing stimulates spending like the fear of getting a serious illness whenever you leave your house, am I right?) led to a completely preventable shit show.

Every single decision to the NSW Government has taken this far is a fail, it's unbelievable that anyone who's this useless at their jobs are in positions of power. It's almost physically painful to watch these press conferences...honestly if the next "freedom" we get isn't something ridiculously stupid it will be a miracle.

And sometimes my fellow citizens deserve being called out. Some jerk got me banned from Twitter for a week because he didn't like that I told him off about proclaiming it as "Good news" that old unemployed people are mostly the ones dying. What else can you say to such people other than "You are utterly soulless"?

The people in Australia, particularly in Victoria worked so hard to keep us all safe here and our Federal Government with help from the NSW Government threw it all away for some stupid conservative ideology.

Protect the economy...the economy is worse now than if we'd locked down Sydney properly instead of 5 weeks late.

Miezekatze

But nobody can keep Delta under Control. The countries who currently claim that they are successful in controlling the ***** (which to my knowlegde are a very long list: Singapur and Denmark) are not containing it either, they think it's endemic and at least currently can just be managed liek any other illness, even though Denmark doesn't rule out reinstating restrictions, actually infection numbers in Denmark are higher than in Germany right now and have been rather high ever since May, but they are of the opinion that it's managable and are lifting most fo the rest of the restrictions in mid September.

Most of the Asian states like Vietnam and South Korea have had *********-19 under control too before Delta came along and then it went much worse...

And all government made grave mistakes at one phase of the ********* or the other and they keep continuing to make mistakes.
I can understand if people are really mad at people like RonDeSantis, who just seems to be crazy and actually fighting against controlling the *****, but when governments are just trying to weigh different factors against others (like children need to go to school vs. "children are at risk at school"), I can fully relate how hard it is to make decisions.

for what it's worth the studies here in Germany now say that psychologists foudn that the effects of lockdown and school closings on people is MUCH worse than previously thought (especially for children and young women and mothers). There's really serious mental health effects. And we never had THAT hard a lockdown in Germany, it was about the same as the one in New South Wales (I looked up the rules there 2 weeks ago).

Of course now we'll have another difficult fall/winter because the vaccination rate is not good enough yet (we got 60% of the population fully vaccinated, but now it's stagnating) and everybody is mad because of the 90% unvaccinated people who now end up in hospitals at the moment.

But I'm honestly quite sure that just about anybody in Germany still is more afraid of another months-long lockdown than of a difficult *********-19 winter. Plus you DO get used to the ***** threat as an everyday life risk, while going about your life. What is horrid IMO is the ***** risk in combination with lockdown and completely closed schools in fall/winter :scream:(since the effectiveness of lockdowns gets worse and worse over time, it's not exactly as if lockdown really changes all that much about this)

MsZem

Thanks, @Miezekatze, that's the point I was trying to get at: countries have managed to handle the original CV strain and even Alpha, but Delta is a massive challenge and requires a new approach. Plus at this point we do know that the lockdowns and other restrictions come at a serious cost, and not just an economic one. This too must be taken into consideration.

Which is why I don't think allowing very small, private weddings is a mistake; to the contrary, it's something that can bring joy and meaning at very little relative risk. Likewise small-scale outdoor socializing.

Susan1

Below us and above Cincinnati (more rural)

skategal

Bunny mama
I don’t think you can compare Denmark and Singapore with Australia. Denmark and Singapore, and to some extent Canada, can treat CV as endemic because the vaccination rates are so high there.

Australia has no choice but to lockdown now to prevent spread just like most other countries did earlier before vaccines were widely available.

Plus, IIRC Australia had mostly normal life inside their borders for most of the ********* so to have to lockdown now when vaccines are on the horizon feels all the worse.

A similar thing happened to us in NS in Wave 3 right before we had the vaccines and it sucks. And yes, it was a government mistake then too that caused the spread to be so widespread.

Hang in there Aussies.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I think the very first lockdown when no one knew how bad it would be and if it would maybe take years to get a vaccine were the worst. I was really afraid after watching the thousands of dead transported out of Bergamo each night.

and the fear that maybe we have to wait for a poorly working vaccine for years.

now the situation is so much better. You know that most people in Australia who want to get vaccinated will be in the next 4-6 weeks (with the first shot of course) and better treatment options are known.
There it totally makes sense to try to not let the spread explode but not to shut down everything. There are ffp2masks on the marke now who work really well to protect yourself and not the hand made cloth masks we had in the first wave.
sorry, I find the uber dramatic name calling and outrage a bit over the top considering the situation

skategal

Bunny mama
I think the very first lockdown when no one knew how bad it would be and if it would maybe take years to get a vaccine were the worst. I was really afraid after watching the thousands of dead transported out of Bergamo each night.

and the fear that maybe we have to wait for a poorly working vaccine for years.

now the situation is so much better. You know that most people in Australia who want to get vaccinated will be in the next 4-6 weeks (with the first shot of course) and better treatment options are known.
There it totally makes sense to try to not let the spread explode but not to shut down everything. There are ffp2masks on the marke now who work really well to protect yourself and not the hand made cloth masks we had in the first wave.
sorry, I find the uber dramatic name calling and outrage a bit over the top considering the situation
As someone who has gone through both types of lockdowns (one at the beginning and one pre-third wave with vaccines on the horizon) the first one was terrifying and devastating.

But the second lockdown after watching your government be held up as the gold standard for CV management and have had come through with very little impact of CV and to see them feck it up produces a lot of anger.

That anger is what we are seeing from the Aussies now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information