News & Experiences continued

clairecloutier

Worldometer lists Florida new cases as almost 9000 for the most recent day recorded. 56K new cases total in the U.S. 😦

We are supposed to be flying to Tennessee to visit in-laws in 4 weeks ... When I bought the tickets, it didn’t seem like it would be a problem. Not so sure now ….

I went out shopping today and hardly anyone was wearing a mask except store clerks. Mine ain’t coming off anytime soon!!

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Eric Clapton won't perform at venues that require proof of vaccination.

“Following the PM’s announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021 I feel honor-bound to make an announcement of my own,” Clapton said. “I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present. Unless there is provision made for all people to attend, I reserve the right to cancel the show.”
I used to be a huge fan. Your heroes can certainly have feet of clay. :rolleyes:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Our school board is back to in-person meetings so our group trooped down there and wore masks for hours so we could speak our mind and get totally ignored. It was "fun."

It was much more fun when the meetings were all on Zoom as we'd talk on Slack and make jokes and create memes.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
40% of new cases come from 3 states.

WASHINGTON — Just three states are now driving the ********* in the United States, as the divide between vaccinated and unvaccinated regions of the country becomes ever more stark, as the more transmissible Delta variant of the ******** spreads.

Forty percent of all new cases this week have been recorded in Florida, Texas and Missouri, White House ********* response coordinator Jeff Zients revealed at a press briefingThursday.

Florida alone accounts for 20 percent of all new cases nationally, Zients pointed out, a trend that has stretched into its second week.

Zients added that “virtually all” hospitalizations and deaths — a full 97 percent — are among unvaccinated people. “The threat is now predominantly only to the unvaccinated,” he said. A few vaccinated people do experience so-called breakthrough infections, but they tend to experience only mild *********-19 illness, or no illness at all.

I will add (because fair is fair) Texas and Florida are second and third in population in the US, so they're going to bulk up the numbers. Of course if they had state governments that actually cared about the lives of their residents, I wouldn't have to make excuses for them.

Dobre

Italy makes ********* ‘green pass’ mandatory for restaurants, gyms, cinemas and more from August​

Israel to reinstate *********-19 'Green Pass' vaccine certificates as Delta variant hits​

13 Mississippi ICUs are at capacity, access to *********-19 care limited in some areas​

"On Tuesday, 138 patients were in Mississippi intensive care units, with 57 on ventilators. Thirteen of the state's ICUs are at max capacity. From July 14-20, the Mississippi State Department of Health recorded 4,631 new *********-19 cases, more than double the 2,237 cases from July 7 to July 13."

Nearly 20 percent of Lexington’s *********-19 cases this month are in vaccinated people​

"About one-fifth of the new *********-19 cases in Lexington in July occurred in vaccinated people, according to new data from the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department.

Those so-called “breakthrough” cases had accounted for less than 1 percent of Lexington’s reported infections until the last few weeks. In May, less than 10 percent of the month’s cases were breakthrough infections. In June, that number increased to almost 15 percent.

This month, about 19.5 percent of all cases have been in people fully vaccinated against *********-19, according to the health department. Health officials are concerned that too many people think they can ignore the ******** if they’ve been vaccinated."

Only about 6 percent of North Carolina's *********-19 cases are breakthrough cases​

Dobre

539 cases in Oregon today. (One article says this is the highest number for a single day in 7 weeks). 70 cases in Umatilla County. 63 in Jackson. Cases are climbing in the metro counties too.

I've seen this movie before. One bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough says Umatilla County will have over 100 cases in a day by late next week.

I have an appointment there coming up. I'm vaccinated. Everyone will be wearing masks. I'm going because I put this off 6 months, and I'm not doing it again. But by golly, I won't be stopping at Walmart or Ace Hardware or Dairy Queen. And the county commissioner & business owners in the county might want to think about that, starting yesterday. (Require your employees to wear masks & get vaccinated. It's very simple).

The mask mandate conversation is starting back up in the press again. No one serious is touching it yet.

I think hanging out in the basement & watching the Olympics seems like the ideal activity for the next two weeks while the local and state politicians all try to convince themselves that Umatilla County isn't really part of Oregon.

A 4 or 5-year-old boy died in Georgia yesterday.

Let's not wait for that.

Dobre

Per Bloomberg, China has now given enough doses to cover 53% of its total population.

Per the NYT, Washington State, Idaho, & Hawaii now have 10 or more cases per 100K.

ballettmaus

Texas recorded 8,787 YKW deaths since February and 99.5% were unvaccinated. https://tinyurl.com/8u67js6p

The agency said nearly 75% of the 43 vaccinated people who died were fighting a serious underlying condition, such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer or chronic lung disease.

Additionally, it said 95% of the 43 vaccinated people who died were 60 or older, and that a majority of them were white and a majority were men.

Dobre

Ugh. I was hoping the 20% number in the Lexington County article I ran across yesterday was an outlier.

But here is the same number for current breakthrough cases in L.A. County:

20% of ********* infections in June occurred among vaccinated, LA County health says​

skatfan

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
States have to change the way they report their daily numbers.

They should report the numbers as follows:

For case numbers: #unvaccinated, #vaccinated. Within #vaccinated: # no symptoms,#with symptoms.
Hospitalizations: #unvaccinated, #vaccinated
Deaths: #unvaccinated, #vaccinated

This would give a clear picture of how the vaccinations are working, and more importantly give an incentive for the unvaccinated to get the shot.

For example. A state reports 400 new daily cases.

However within the 400, 350 unvaccinated, 50 vaccinated. Within the vaccinate: 40 no symptoms, 10 symptoms.

This presents a more accurate picture of what is going on…

Last edited:

maureenfarone

They should report the numbers as follows:

For case numbers: #unvaccinated, #vaccinated. Within #vaccinated: # no symptoms,#with symptoms.
Hospitalizations: #unvaccinated, #vaccinated
Deaths: #unvaccinated, #vaccinated

This would give a clear picture of how the vaccinations are working, and more importantly give an incentive for the unvaccinated to get the shot.

For example. A state reports 400 new daily cases.

However within the 400, 350 unvaccinated, 50 vaccinated. Within the unvaccinated 40 no symptoms, 10 symptoms.

This presents a more accurate picture of what is going on…
I think you mean "within the VACCINATED 40 no symptoms, 10 symptoms".

Dobre

I don't know if it would help. I still think the anti-vaccine people would latch onto the number of people with no symptoms & convince themselves that means the danger is fake or overstated. Meanwhile, it would really be understated because people don't necessarily develop their symptoms as early as they test positive. As far as the lists for vaccinated & unvaccinated, I think that could be OK. Vaccinated people should be aware that there is still a risk, and unvaccinated people should understand how much of one they are taking. Hospitalizations could be listed as vaccinated & unvaccinated if one wants to point out the difference in severity.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Vaccinations are on the rise in some states with soaring infection rates.

Vaccinations are beginning to rise in some states where *********-19 cases are soaring, White House officials said Thursday in a sign that the summer surge is getting the attention of vaccine-hesitant Americans as hospitals in the South are being overrun with patients.

******** coordinator Jeff Zients told reporters that several states with the highest proportions of new infections have seen residents get vaccinated at higher rates than the nation as a whole. Officials cited Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Missouri and Nevada as examples.

I was thinking about this yesterday and it makes sense. If, for example, you live in Arkansas, the local news will be focusing on cases of CV19 (or perhaps they'll call it Delta) in Arkansas, not New York or California, as in previous waves. When you go to your local church, you'll hear about people in your own community in the hospital. Or it'll be your hospital you'll learn is overwhelmed with cases.

All politics is local. Currently, the ********* is local.

And speaking of local politics, Governor Kay Ivey of Alabama is pissed:

“Folks are supposed to have common sense,” she said. “It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down....I’ve done all I know how to do. I can encourage you to do something, but I can’t make you take care of yourself...”

In response to a question about mandating masks among school children, Ivey appeared to signal that would be a half-measure.

“I want folks to get vaccinated,” she said.

“That’s the cure. That prevents everything. Why do we want to mess around with just temporary stuff? We don’t need to just encourage people to go halfway with curing this disease. Let’s get it done. We know what it takes to get it done. Get a shot in your arm. I’ve done it. It’s safe. The data proves it. It doesn’t cost anything. It saves lives.”

MacMadame

Staying at home
I would appreciate that. I get tired of people saying 20% of the cases where among the vaccinated!!!!! And then it turns out only 1.5% of cases in the hospital are among the vaccinated and none of them ended up in the ICU or dead. It's very misleading the way things are being reported now.

skategal

Bunny mama
Our province is reporting cases, hospitalization and deaths weekly by vaccination status.

Hospitalizations and deaths are overwhelming (95%+) in the unvaccinated.

Stats come out each Friday.

skategal

Bunny mama
It will not stay this way though. At least I hope it wont. More and more cases SHOULD come from the vaccinated group just because that group of vaccinated people should be much bigger. Bayesian probability
Our Medical Officer of Health says this too.

We have 80% with one shot and 60% with both shots.

I suspect our numbers are being influenced by the indoor mask mandate still in place.

Dave of the North

Clapton had a bad personal experience with vaccination.

NB is going Green, lifting all restrictions, on July 30. :cheer2:

We were in PEI for a few days, which has made masks optional. It was bit weird, not wearing masks inside. Sometimes we did, sometimes we didn't.

Dobre

U.S. appeals court lifts CDC cruise ship restrictions in win for Florida​

So Florida complained that it would lose its cruise ship season & this is somehow the CDC's fault? There are cruise ships that mandate vaccinations running elsewhere in the country.
-----

Oregon has 613 new cases today. The state is trying to pivot & get counties & individual schools to take on responsibility for health policies:

Oregon calls for counties to ‘take action now’ to slow resurgent ********​

This doesn't surprise me at all. I figured this is what the state-level politicians would want to see happen. But as Mr. Fiumara (health director for Umatilla County) says, I don't think it's going to work. At least not in some of the counties that have the biggest problem.

I can totally see the counties with high vaccination rates, maybe even those with medium vaccination rates, stepping up & putting their own policies into place; but here in 30-45% vaccinated land, various leaders won't have the guts or the smarts to step up. I dunno how it ends, and I don't care who takes responsibility & makes the hard decisions. I just think someone needs to make them. I don't think playing chicken with people's lives is a good idea. Do I think vaccination rates might go up a bit in counties having surges? Sure. Unfortunately, not remotely enough to get a county with 35% of its total population vaccinated up to 70% or higher.

I think the state should reinstate the mask mandate, for both vaccinated & unvaccinated people.

Why not try to find out if we can keep cases down with Delta? See if we can successfully keep theaters & larger gatherings open if everyone is wearing masks in indoor venues? And, then, if the answer is yes, and once we have the emergency approval status lifted & kids have had access to the vaccine & can become fully vaccinated, try to lift the mandate in counties that meet specific vaccination thresholds? Give those businessmen & women in more Republican counties incentive to get their employees vaccinated. Give parents incentive to get their kids vaccinated. High-vaccinated counties don't have to be held hostage to low-vaccinated ones, but they should have to count children as part of the population because we obviously aren't controlling spread without the kids, teens, and young adults.

Orm Irian

Things are improving here in South Australia and also in Victoria: we've had one case of community transmission per day here for the last two days, both in quarantine throughout their infectious period, and Victoria is keeping its numbers in the mid- to low teens (12 today with 10 in quarantine throughout their infectious period).

New South Wales is reporting increasing numbers of cases - today it was 163 cases with 90 active in the community for all or part of their infectious period. Why Gladys Berejiklian is refusing to tighten the lockdown to the point where it would help bring those numbers down I will never, ever understand, but she won't.

Upside to all this: I can now spell 'Berejiklian' without having to look it up, though I do sometimes feel the urge to double-check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information