News & Experiences continued

Dobre

Two more states, Maine & Connecticut, reached enough vaccinations to cover 60% of the whole population today. (Per Bloomberg).

Oregon's number of hospitalizations finally dropped back below where it was prior to when the governor loosened the state's health criteria. Back down today to 170+.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

After two weeks of lockdown in Melbourne and one in the regions, Victoria has got its recent outbreak under control and is set to ease restrictions slightly in Melbourne, and further in the regions, from midnight on Thursday. Being able to contact-trace the point where the Delta variant got into the state (separately from the main Kappa outbreak) must have been a huge help to them.

Dobre

Nevada, West Virginia, & Louisiana are back up in orange on the NPR map today. (We'll see if that fluctuates back down tomorrow or trends longer than a day).

Lots of states with new-case averages suddenly going up this week: 22 states this week vs. 5 from last week. Post Memorial Day weekend case numbers?

Dobre

178 hospital workers suspended for not complying with ******** vaccination policy​

And it begins.

178 out of 24,947 employees. Then some employees received permission to postpone due to wishing to wait until after a pregancy. And some received a religious exemption. Overall, though, tens of thousands of people in their health care system are vaccinated, and patients are safer.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I went to NJ for a wedding about a week after their masked mandate expired. I wasn't sure what to expect. What I saw is that a lot of businesses operating indoors are doing some combination of (a) requiring masks anyway, (b) having their employees be masked but not requiring customers to do so, (c) recommending, if not outright requiring masks.

So people wear them when out and about, but often improperly. I get the impression they keep them under their nose or chin while in places they don't feel they need them and then pull them up when asked or it's required. Some people are still wearing them exactly as before and avoiding indoors especially at restaurants, of course. And at most restaurants, people take their masks off as soon as they get to the table, not waiting for the food to arrive. Oh and pretty much no one was wearing a mask at the beach but I'd expect that. I certainly wasn't wearing one and definitely not while running on the Boardwalk in 90F heat! :lol:

Masks are required at the airport and on the plane, except when eating so compliance was decent there too. Of course, mask-wearing at the SF Bay Area airport was better than at the NJ airport but not by much.

What I saw in NJ made me hopeful that when our mask mandate expires, it won't be a free-for-all here and people will just gradually stop wearing them as they get vaccinated and feel more comfortable and numbers go down.

sk8pics

When I was on a trip to Kentucky last week, I flew between BWI and CVG. In BWI mask compliance was high. In CVG (Cincinnati, but actually in Kentucky) compliance was very low. I was shocked at the number of people not wearing their masks —not even having one in sight— in CVG. And the dick noses even on the plane and even in spite of multiple announcements regarding proper mask wearing.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Burger King king they show on TV is kind of creepy?

Dobre

Nevada, West Virginia, & Louisiana are back up in orange on the NPR map today. (We'll see if that fluctuates back down tomorrow or trends longer than a day).
FYI, West Virginia & Louisiana went back down. Nevada (+Wyoming & Colorado) remained orange. And Missouri moved back up to orange today.

____

Oregon has 269 new cases today. Hospitalizations dropped again (though the article I read had a really huge drop from yesterday so I think I'll wait for confirmation of this new number before believing it). 21,900+ vaccinations were added.

manhn

Manitoba is the first Canadian province to introduce a vaccine lottery. 1.9 million dollars, but split among different values and scholarships (for 12-17). 70 percent of adults (18+) have received their first shot. Not sure why there is a need for this? They seemed to be doing pretty well without such incentives.

Japanfan

I don't like the idea of a lottery at all - doesn't seem fair to me. I'm fine with taking my place in line and getting my second shot when I get it.

once_upon

Manitoba is the first Canadian province to introduce a vaccine lottery. 1.9 million dollars, but split among different values and scholarships (for 12-17). 70 percent of adults (18+) have received their first shot. Not sure why there is a need for this? They seemed to be doing pretty well without such incentives.
I'm not sure incentives like a $1,000,000 lottery work to get unvaccinated motivated to go get vaccinated. Here's an article discussing incentives

MacMadame

Staying at home
I have no idea if it will move the needle or not but announcing vaccinated people don't have to wear masks anymore did move the needle so I'm just going to wait and see.

There is anecdotal evidence that some people who were planning to get vaccinated "some day" ran out and did it before the deadlines for their respective state's lotteries. So maybe it will or maybe there aren't enough people who care about stuff like that. I guess we'll see eventually.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think we, in Canada, have to start opening up second doses to people.

We can’t wait any longer for Vax McHesitate to decide to go get their first dose.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Ontario is starting to prioritize second doses. According to their vaccination data, 182,350 doses were administered yesterday - 65,250 were first doses, and 117,100 were second doses.

According to their new plan for second dose eligibility, it looks like they're moving things up by about a month. I had my first dose on May 18, and my second one is currently scheduled for September 7. But the new plan has people who received a first dose between May 10-30 booking a second dose in early August.

In regions where the delta variant is of particular concern (including my region, for better or worse), people who had a first dose before May 9 can already start trying to book their second.

skatfan

I have no idea if it will move the needle or not but announcing vaccinated people don't have to wear masks anymore did move the needle so I'm just going to wait and see.

There is anecdotal evidence that some people who were planning to get vaccinated "some day" ran out and did it before the deadlines for their respective state's lotteries. So maybe it will or maybe there aren't enough people who care about stuff like that. I guess we'll see eventually.
My county is at 44% vaccination rate and the state is only about 33% (AZ). Not gonna make herd immunity here anytime soon.

Dobre

Oregon has 370 new cases today. 10 deaths (Or more? The list I found has 15 people & includes a bunch of deaths from the last week of May. Oregon had more deaths in May than April. I find that disturbing. I was thinking deaths could drop more powerfully with vaccinations than actual case numbers, since high risk groups have better vaccination ratios & were vaccinated earliest. But high-risk groups also have health conditions that make the vaccine less helpful. Nursing home staff really need to be getting vaccinated).

27,000+ new vaccinations. (But the CDC site barely moved the needle so the state is querying why?) For the first time in over a year, Salem hospital does not have an active outbreak. The outbreak at the anti-restriction People's Church in Salem also finally resolved its outbreak. It rose to 89 people before being resolved. Per one article, Wasco County/The Dalles is approaching 65% of adults being vaccinated. (The state map says they are at 56% of the 16+ population, but I'm guessing that the official number for folks 18+ is higher. Jefferson County and several counties in Southern Oregon (Jackson, Curry, & Coos) have also made it over 50% of the 16+ population.

Last edited:

Dobre

As far as the lottery here is concerned, all I know is that the day it was announced here, all the news coverage about vaccinations was positive. So I think of the lottery as positive PR. We have to invest in positive advertising anyway.

I know of at least 3 people over 65 that came down with ********* within the last week or two. Two of them in the hospital. If positive news coverage about a lottery for vaccines can stop that from happening to anyone, then I'm OK with it. And I am anti-lottery & gambling in general so this is probably the first major lottery that I've ever been OK with.

skategal

Bunny mama
Some of my cousins who were hesitant to get the vaccine have booked vaccine appointments ASAP when Trudeau announced that fully vaccinated Canadians could travel internationally and not incur 14 day quarantine when returning to Canada. (just have to have a test on entry to Canada and isolate at home until you get a negative result. 2-3 days.)

I’m so relieved they booked their vaccine appointment.

Orm Irian

I kind of side-eye the lottery thing, I have to admit, but it's true that even small incentives can and do work. We've had a lot of difficulty here getting vaccines to workers in aged care facilities, for a variety of reasons but primarily because the federal government was in charge of the rollout there with predictable lack of results. Yesterday, when the three state-run mass vaccination clinics in my city announced they were staying open later than usual and aged care workers could walk in instead of having to make an appointment, the state's daily vaccination figure jumped from 10,000 to 12,000. The staff members just went en masse once they got off their shifts for the day because it was that little bit easier to access...

I'm counting down the days till Tuesday!

BaileyCatts

I have a wood table at work that is not a standard office/work furniture table, its almost like a trendy wood table you would use for a dining room table. I've been regularly wiping it down with wipes, but now it seems the table is sticky all the time. Do those Clorox wipes things make your surfaces sticky? What can I do to get rid of the stickiness? I've tried wiping down with just a wet cloth but its not getting rid of the stickiness. Like my papers stick to it kind of stickiness. :wideeyes:

ETA: I think this is the table https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laneberg-extendable-table-brown-60447776/ its pretty close anyway. I don't know if they got them at IKEA but it looks kinda like this.

About 4 months before the PD started, they totally embraced the whole 'open concept' thing in our data area. :( Like took out all the cubes and put in these big tables and we sit in a big open room at these tables, like 2 at a table cate-corner from each other. Then the PD hit. All the data team could work at home except for me and 1 other lady cause we need access to work stuff, so we each have our own table right now. This set up is like my worst 'open concept' nightmare. :lol:

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
I have a wood table at work that is not a standard office/work furniture table, its almost like a trendy wood table you would use for a dining room table. I've been regularly wiping it down with wipes, but now it seems the table is sticky all the time. Do those Clorox wipes things make your surfaces sticky? What can I do to get rid of the stickiness? I've tried wiping down with just a wet cloth but its not getting rid of the stickiness. Like my papers stick to it kind of stickiness. :wideeyes:
More likely the finish or varnish is dissolving from all the alcohol in the wipes. In which case, it would need to be stripped and refinished.

I would get my vaccines regardless, but if someone wants to give me a toaster or put my name in for a lottery for doing that, I’m not inclined to complain.

pat c

Try a mild dish soap, wash it well. Then use a good wood polish to keep the finish.

BaileyCatts

Oh shoot ... people posted when I was editing my post. Here is what I added so you can see the table.

ETA: I think this is the table https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/laneberg-extendable-table-brown-60447776/ its pretty close anyway. I don't know if they got them at IKEA but it looks kinda like this.

About 4 months before the PD started, they totally embraced the whole 'open concept' thing in our data area. :( Like took out all the cubes and put in these big tables and we sit in a big open room at these tables, like 2 at a table cate-corner from each other. Then the PD hit. All the data team could work at home except for me and 1 other lady cause we need access to work stuff, so we each have our own table right now. This set up is like my worst 'open concept' nightmare. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information