News & Experiences continued

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
@Prancer there's a similar article about Appalachia. They found that if the person can find someone they trust who can reassure them about the shot, they are more likely to get it. The issue is that most of the people there are in full conspiracy mode...

Prancer

Demonic Chihuahua
Staff member
@Prancer there's a similar article about Appalachia. They found that if the person can find someone they trust who can reassure them about the shot, they are more likely to get it. The issue is that most of the people there are in full conspiracy mode...
People tend to hang out with people who share the same views, so yeah, that's a tough one.

That's also most people's Facebook accounts in a nutshell. One of my niece's Facebook friends posted that people should respect everyone's right to know what is best for their own bodies. Need I even say that they are all virulently transphobic?

I think I have seen them all post every single objection on this list at least once each--possibly more.

Dobre

A few headlines out of WA this week:

Washington State University mandates *********-19 vaccines for fall semester​

Washington state poker night linked to nearly 100 *********-19 cases​

'A more powerful and dangerous threat': Officials urge vaccinations as Washington faces fourth wave​

"Officials estimated a majority of cases in the state are of the B.1.1.7 variant. A significant portion are also of the P.1 variant, and just a small number are of the original strain of the *****."

canbelto

I had a woman on FB say "global rates are rising, so that must mean the vaccine is useless." I told her rates in US are FALLING, and rising in India and other places who are not vaccinated, and she got all racist with me and said I was Asian so of course I believe in population control. I can't.

Dobre

New Jersey moved down to orange on the NPR map today. (24 cases per 100K).

Puerto Rico & Maine are also back down in orange.

Currently in yellow with 1-9 cases per 100K: Hawaii, California, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama.

Currently in red with 25 or more new cases per 100K: Michigan, Colorado, Minnesota, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Florida, Rhode Island.

All other states are in orange with 10-24 new cases per 100K.

Dobre

Global ***** Cases Reach New Peak, Driven by India and South America​

"Indeed, much of South America is faring poorly: In addition to Uruguay, Paraguay, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Colombia all rank among the top 20 nations in the world for ********* deaths per capita as of Thursday."

"Colombia’s second largest city, Medellín, is also among the places seeing severe outbreaks. Officials there largely managed to control the ***** last year. But a second and third wave, in January and April, have devastated the city. Though officials added a thousand new intensive care units in the region in 2020, that preparation has not been enough."

"Central and Eastern Europe account for half of the 20 nations with the highest ********* deaths per capita. Further east, a surge of cases in Turkey has led to a new lockdown that began on Thursday evening and is set to last three weeks."

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
A shard of light for those in Seattle unable to get an appointment/haven't received a sign-up email link: Columnist/Writer Dan Savage tweeted:

Hey, Seattle — friend working at Lumen Field vaccine site says they are taking walk-ins. Go get the jab!

Also, the City of Seattle website is allowing sign-ups for appointments, not just those with invitations:

Several thousand vaccination appointments are available at City of Seattle-affiliated sites through May 3rd. Register for a vaccination at Lumen Field, Rainier Beach, West Seattle, or North Seattle. Also learn more about *********-19 vaccination planning and resources in Seattle.

I can't find info on the days/hours without actually doing a preliminary sign-up, but I hope they have weekend hours for people who have to work M-F.

King County has a lot of the demographic that is said to be most likely to get a vaccine -- female, educated, Democrats -- but it's hard not to worry that we may have hit a wall of vaccine resistance. We're surrounded by counties where there is plenty of hesitation, if not downright resistance.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I had a woman on FB say "global rates are rising, so that must mean the vaccine is useless." I told her rates in US are FALLING, and rising in India and other places who are not vaccinated, and she got all racist with me and said I was Asian so of course I believe in population control. I can't.
I am really tired of the race card and how it is used. If you don’t agree with someone, you are a racist.

A neighbor of ours who is from India and has friends and relatives there say one of the reasons for the spread is it is getting hot before the onset of the monsoons and a lot of people cram into places that have cooling and there is no social distancing, hence the mass spread.

Dobre

They Survived *********. Now They Need New Lungs.​

A guest opinion piece by a physician at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston about the challenge ahead for ******** patients in need of lung transplants. Most traditional transplant criteria would eliminate ********* patients from being eligible. At least some hospitals are looking at changing that criteria but there are many ethical & practical challenges ahead for all involved.

Dobre

Oregon reached 3 million vaccination doses today. The state reported 40,000+ vaccinations & 794 new cases.

Wasco County is putting some real effort into their vaccination education & public relations effort. There have been positive public service announcements on regional radio stations on behalf of their health district & Chamber of Commerce every day this week. They had a big event for their Pfizer teen vaccination event with live music, etc. to help bring 16-18-year-olds in for vaccinations and I think it was open to the general public as well.

The state also made the national news today. (Le sigh).

Oregon restores restrictions amid ********* surge boosted by vaccine hesitancy​

• ‘As your governor, I chose to save lives,’ says Democrat Brown
  • Worst per capita spread is in rural, Republican Grant county
This article says only 34,000 vaccinations were recorded Friday; but vaccination reports from portions of the state are always delayed. As of today's report, Oregon had 40,331 vaccinations completed Friday; and that number will probably go up a bit more as it usually takes at least a couple days for all vaccinations on a date to be reported. Vaccine hesitancy in rural Oregon is sadly a real thing; but you can't compare numbers for specific days unless you are at least 3 or 4 days out, I don't think.

Last edited:

Dobre

Wallowa High School in Wallowa County in Eastern Oregon has returned to distance learning for three weeks, due to an outbreak among at least 6 students who attended a non-school sponsored "prom." Dayville middle & high school students in Grant County have also returned to distance learning.

********* 'Doesn't Discriminate By Age': Serious Cases On The Rise In Younger Adults​

"But even in Washington state, where much of the population is opting to get the vaccine, hospitalizations have been rising steadily since early March, especially among young people.

In the Seattle area, more people in their 20s are now being hospitalized for *********-19 than people in their 70s, according to Seattle King County Public Health Chief Health Officer Dr. Jeff Duchin.

'We don't yet have enough younger adults vaccinated to counteract the increased ease with which the variants spread,' said Duchin at a recent press briefing."

"'I'm hopeful that the death curve is not going to rise as fast, but it is putting a strain on the health system,' says Dr. Nathaniel Schlicher, an emergency physician and president of the Washington State Medical Association.

Schlicher, also in his late 30s, recalls with horror two of his recent patients — close to his age and previously healthy — who were admitted with new onset heart failure caused by *********-19.

'I've seen that up close and that's what scares the hell out of me,' he says.

'I understand young people feeling invincible, but what I would just tell them is — don't be afraid of dying, be afraid of heart failure, lung damage and not being able to do the things that you love to do.'"

Connecticut ends its state religious vaccine exemption​

Gov. Ned Lamont has signed a bill into law that ends Connecticut’s long-standing religious exemption from childhood immunization requirements for schools and day care facilities

"'The exemption has been used in recent years to skirt the vaccine law, causing many schools to fall below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s threshold of 95% needed for herd immunity against highly contagious diseases like Measles, Pertussis, Tetanus, and Meningitis, among others,' the Vaccination Alliance of Connecticut, a coalition of public health officials, parents and others, said in a written statement."

(The bill above is not currently *********-related, but relevant nonetheless, I think).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Unless they qualified by profession or disability, people in Washington State under 50 living in multi-generational households and people under 60 who weren't were not eligible to sign up for vaccines until mid-April. I don't think it was until sometime in March that people under 65 with disabilities or working in non-health or non-child-care-related essential professions could sign up. So it's not surprising that cv-driven hospitalizations were rising for younger people in March, with variants getting a head start for younger people.

Dobre

As of Wednesday in Central Oregon, 700 students in the Bend-LaPine School District were in quarantine. (5% of students). Deschutes County has been spiking for maybe two weeks? Middle & high school students in Sisters were also put on pause & sent home while contact tracing was completed this week. About 25 students there are to remain in quarantine next week.

Oregon has 756 new cases today. Hospitalizations are at 345, the highest we have had during this surge. 3 deaths. Deaths have been dropping pretty steadily since vaccinations kicked into high gear in January, while hospitalizations have been rising steadily since late March. Multnomah County/Portland has over 200 cases today & Sundays are usually a low reporting day. We did not peak above 1,000 this week, as opposed to last week, so hopefully, with extreme-risk restrictions back in place, we may have plateaued. The permission for contact indoor sports was only begun a short while ago, though, and I don't know if that is limited at all by county's extreme risk restrictions.

From the LA Times:

*********-19 surges in Oregon, sickening younger adults and forcing a return to restrictions​

And from the Oregonian:

Who is getting *********-19 in Oregon’s fourth surge?​

Essentially, this surge is a combination of opening up more stuff, loosening the health metrics for keeping stuff open, & people not being fully vaccinated or not choosing to get vaccinated. Variants may be playing a role. I don't think it's irrelevant that the Brazilian variant exploded in B.C. and its numbers are going up in Washington State and case numbers are going up in Oregon as well. But mostly this surge is about people needing to be fully vaccinated before facing more exposure. And a big part of the reason Oregon is reintroducing restrictions with lower case numbers per capita than many other states is because our hospital bed ratio per capita is the lowest in the country.

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Kiss herd immunity goodbye.

Early in the *********, when vaccines for the ******** were still just a glimmer on the horizon, the term “herd immunity” came to signify the endgame: the point when enough Americans would be protected from the ***** so we could be rid of the pathogen and reclaim our lives.

Now, more than half of adults in the United States have been inoculated with at least one dose of a vaccine. But daily vaccination rates are slipping, and there is widespread consensus among scientists and public health experts that the herd immunity threshold is not attainable — at least not in the foreseeable future, and perhaps not ever.

Instead, they are coming to the conclusion that rather than making a long-promised exit, the ***** will most likely become a manageable threat that will continue to circulate in the United States for years to come, still causing hospitalizations and deaths but in much smaller numbers.

sk8pics

I am two weeks post second Moderna shot today. :cheer2: I went to BJs, feeling not so nervous for the first time in a while. Counted 5 dick noses, which is probably more than I saw on my previous 2 trips. Then I stopped at the post office and one guy was using the self serve machine with his mask pulled down below his chin.:rolleyes: He was in the lobby right where everybody had to walk by him to go in to see a person or get in line to see a person.:rolleyes: He did come in and ask a question and I saw that he pulled his mask up when he did that. So I guess he didn’t think being in the lobby was being in the building? Stupid.

Susan1

I was on the phone with AT&T getting some numbers blocked that have called me over 40 times since Tuesday, so I missed the briefing. Here's his twitter (with charts) -

He probably also said get vaccinated, wear a mask, and social distance indoors. ha
I'll post a local article when I see one.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I'm trying to find out what the restrictions will be in CA come June 15th and the information that has been released so far is beyond vague. It's frustrating.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
But that's not the end of the world:

The problem is that we continue to need to think not only about vaccinated people and vaccine hesitant people but about people who are immunocompromised and thus cannot get immunity from the vaccine. Lower rates of vaccination place some people in permanent danger and we can't just talk our way out of that. Articles like this seem to talk about how vaccinated people will be able to go back to normal and unvaccinated people will be shooting themselves in the foot and tend to ignore the people who don't have the immense privilege of being able to say "I am vaccinated so I am safe." We, as a society, have to take some responsibility for the people who can't be made safe by getting vaccinated themselves.

Dobre

Oregon has 540 new cases today. (Monday is typically our lowest reporting day, but nonetheless I think that is the lowest number for a while). Hospitalizations are up to 351. One of the articles I read about our fourth wave yesterday said that patients are requiring hospital beds for a greater length of time now, as fewer of the younger patients die.

Dobre

F.D.A. Set to Authorize Pfizer Vaccine for Adolescents by Early Next Week​

"The clearance, in the form of an amendment to the existing emergency use authorization for the Pfizer vaccine, could come as early as late this week. If it is granted, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s vaccine advisory panel is likely to meet the following day to review the clinical trial data and make recommendations for the vaccine’s use in adolescents.

The expansion would be a major development in the country’s vaccination campaign and welcome news to some parents who are anxious to protect their children during summer activities and before the start of the next school year. It also poses another challenge to policymakers who are struggling to vaccinate a large percentage of adults hesitant to get the shot. Many more could refuse to inoculate their children.

Pfizer reported several weeks ago that none of the adolescents in the clinical trial who received the vaccine developed symptomatic infections, a sign of significant protection. The company said that volunteers produced strong antibody responses and experienced about the same side effects seen in people ages 16 to 25."

Dobre

The political vaccine divide in Washington state is widening — and ********* rushes in​

"What’s happening in Republic is like a cautionary saga during what are supposed to be the last days of the *********. After mostly avoiding the disease for more than a year, the town suddenly has “joined the rest of ********* nation,” as Slagle put it.

A poker night three weeks ago at the local Eagles lodge, followed by a karaoke singalong the next night, was all it took. Everyone at the poker tables caught *********-19, and now the disease is coursing through Ferry County — a spot of about 8,000 where only 22% had, as of this week, started the vaccination process.

The outbreak shut down some government offices and a slew of businesses. More than 100 people have tested positive, and hospitalizations in the region have nearly doubled."

:cry: Sadly, I can fathom this happening in some of the communities here. My friend just tried to convince me it was fine for me to expose her to whatever I pick up in my high-risk job, despite the fact that she isn't getting vaccinated, because her boyfriend volunteers at a school & has brought home multiple colds this winter. Uh huh. So the fact that you caught something that was less dangerous & less easy to catch means that you don't need to worry about catching the disease that is more infectious & more dangerous?

Last edited:

Susan1

Ohio article re yesterday's briefing.

MsZem

The problem is that we continue to need to think not only about vaccinated people and vaccine hesitant people but about people who are immunocompromised and thus cannot get immunity from the vaccine.
True. But this is true for a lot of diseases that haven't been fully eradicated, and with time we may see not just vaccines but also better treatment that would mitigate the effects of CV in those who get it.

Dobre

Delaware moved back down from red to orange today.

Inslee has paused reopening in Washington State, but not tightened restrictions in any counties. The Tri-Cities area was expecting to be moved back. They have cancelled the summer boat races, which is this HUGE event there, for the second year in a row. One of the articles says, "Can the event survive?" I have zero doubt it will survive as it has consumed every waking minute on the radio for a week each year since before I was born. I've never been, and I thought maybe it would be adapted or scaled back since, obviously, the races are outdoors; but I gather it is too huge a crowd to make work.

4-H Camp in this region is being held as a day camp this year.

All the Oregon counties that were bumped up to "extreme risk" on Friday are being moved down to high this Friday because statewide hospitalizations rose only 14.9% last week instead of 15%. *?&>!

Last edited:

once_upon

Its been interesting traveling the last 14 days. We are now in New Mexico, which by far had the strongest pre-vaccine restrictions than any other state that we have been in. They have just recently started opening things up.

In the hotel, all "high touch" things (microwave, coffee pots) have been removed from the rooms. They will give you one if you ask. At 10 pm last night, I discovered there were no cups in the room. I mean paper cups are high touch, aren't they single use? Fortunately I still had a diet coke to wash my meds down with. Tonight we stopped and asked for an ice bucket and cups.

Last night, the restaurant we ate at, had a sign that they had completed C-19 precautions training (signed by health department). I asked our waitress what that entailed. She said basically enhanced cleaning procedures, proper mask wearing.

Tonight's restaurant we were asked to sign in with phone number and approximate time we entered the restaurant (I assume to do contact tracing if necessary).

Most places - like museums were listed as temporarily closed or only opened limited days - none of which are when we are here.

Tomorrow we will be doing a hot air balloon experience. It says they are limiting passengers to 6 (12 was the pre C-19 number). Their website also states they have "installed clear vinyl" to help with social distancing. Dont know what that means.

MsZem

Last night, the restaurant we ate at, had a sign that they had completed C-19 precautions training (signed by health department). I asked our waitress what that entailed. She said basically enhanced cleaning procedures, proper mask wearing.
In short, they've gotten training in completely irrelevant hygiene theater, other than the mask part (and that hardly requires training).
In Israel indoor dining requires a vaccine passport. Families with kids and anyone not vaccinated can eat outdoors.

But never mind all that... I hope you're enjoying your travels :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information