News & Experiences continued

Sarah

Waiting with my husband to get his second dose. Walgreens is very slow today. This is probably the longest I’ve been out since I’ve hit 2 weeks post vaccine... I haven’t seen one person get called for their shot since we’ve been here...

Prancer

Demonic Chihuahua
Staff member
More on vaccine resistance.

Many vaccine-hesitant Americans are increasingly entrenched in their decisions to resist the shots, said Frank Luntz, a longtime GOP communications expert who convened Sunday’s focus group over Zoom.

“The further we go into the vaccination process, the more passionate the hesitancy is,” Luntz said after the session. “If you’ve refused to take the vaccine this long, it’s going to be hard to switch you.”

Meanwhile, Castrucci warned that some Democrats’ hectoring and ridicule of GOP vaccine holdouts had backfired, adding that it was wrong to argue with vaccine skeptics like a political debate.

I think in terms of persuasion, vaccine skeptics should be approached like conspiracy theorists, which is going to mean backing off and going gently, gently.

For a more immediate approach, it’s important to realise that being part of a tribe helps enormously. Before starting to preach the message, find some common ground.

Meanwhile, to avoid the backfire effect, ignore the myths. Don’t even mention or acknowledge them. Just make the key points: vaccines are safe and reduce the chances of getting flu by between 50% and 60%, full stop. Don’t mention the misconceptions, as they tend to be better remembered.
(This has also been found true of teaching about logical fallacies--it makes students more likely to use them).

Also, don’t get the opponents gander up by challenging their worldview. Instead offer explanations that chime with their preexisting beliefs. For example, conservative climate-change deniers are much more likely to shift their views if they are also presented with the pro-environment business opportunities.

One more suggestion. Use stories to make your point. People engage with narratives much more strongly than with argumentative or descriptive dialogues. Stories link cause and effect making the conclusions that you want to present seem almost inevitable.

Unfortunately, we can ill afford the time this will take. But I don't see a lot of other options.

hoptoad

ITA that being confrontational is little help. All 12 of us in my office area are now vaccinated. One woman was a skeptic at first, saying, "I don't know, I'll wait and see, etc." No one gave her a hard time though and I heard a few days ago from a friend of hers that she ultimately decided to do it.

I just heard a new one today though. A different woman is extremely worried about her kids getting vaccinated because of the "known infertility problems" and how "it causes problems with your menstrual cycle," etc. Her kids are still under ten, so she doesn't have to decide anything too soon. I was surprised that I hadn't even heard of that one until today. I googled it and sure enough the first few pages were articles debunking this myth, going back to Jan/Feb.

Again, she got support from people about making her own decision and not being forced into anything, so I doubt she'll double down on this position. She got vaccinated herself, and again, I can't believe this infertility issue never came up when we were all awaiting our shots.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The long-time anti-vaxxer girlfriend of a friend of mine -- her son in his '20's has never had any vaccinations, and I'm not sure if he will get this one -- said right up front that she would get this vaccine when she could. She helped everyone in her largish non-profit to get an appointment if they wanted one -- they're mosting working online, but they qualify by profession -- and she jumped on the first appointment she could get for herself.

manhn

If they can successfully whack-the-fake-paid-for ID Card :(

I suppose. But I am confused why border agents seem to be so lenient with YKW protocols. You'd think they would be able to detect a fake Vaccine ID like they could a fake passport or Nexus. When I crossed the US border with a banana in my car, they were all over me.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
When I crossed the US border with a banana in my car, they were all over me.
The first time I crossed the border into British Columbia and back in 1994, CBP wanted to know if I had weapons or stolen children I was bringing into Canada. The US agents only cared whether I was bringing back fruits and vegetables. La plus ca change...

The fake cards, sadly, look just like the real ones. They're easy to duplicate, and most of the time, the people who give the vaccinations print out a label and stick it on the card. Which is also easy to fake. This is going to be a cluster.

Last edited:

becca

Personally I think a balance. I think many might be what’s the point of getting the vaccine if they still have to socially distance etc.

I don’t mind wearing masks but was a little what the heck when my brother said wear double masks etc.

i think a better message is get the vaccine and go live life. There are risks with every thing.

once_upon

Over a year into this and there are still people not wearing masks or wearing them quickly. I’d have a puppy trained quicker. :rolleyes:
I was at the eye surgeon office today. They had even more signs about masking required than they did in January. Plus they added 4 more on how to wear masks correctly (with pictures) and in all areas of the office.

And still as soon as staff was out of sight, people pulled down masks below their noses or to their chins. :rolleyes:

becca

What’s frustrating is many anti vacciners see themselves as victims. You are all just being cruel to us.

sk8pics

Waiting with my husband to get his second dose. Walgreens is very slow today. This is probably the longest I’ve been out since I’ve hit 2 weeks post vaccine... I haven’t seen one person get called for their shot since we’ve been here...
That’s how it was at the Walgreens I went to yesterday. It was crazy how slow and inefficient they seemed to be.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I know people in NYC who aren't going to let this stop them from getting their second shot, but when they got to Walgreens for the first one, even though there were slotted appointments, the staff waited to start vaccinations until there were a mass of people in an enclosed store. Since the people getting vaccines had no idea that this was the plan, they were afraid to wait outside the store, lest they missed hearing their name called and losing their appointment. I would not be surprised if people thought this too much of a risk, and left without getting a shot, especially when they didn't know what to expect the first time.

Debbie S

On the Vaccine Hunters FB page for my state, multiple people, who all went to different Walgreens, all seemed to have a bad exp. Long wait, total disorganization, too many people in a small area. After reading that, I took Walgreens off my list of options to try.

My second Pfizer is on Sat. People who have 2nd appts this week at that site are getting reminder texts telling them the vax is Moderna. AFAIK, this site has never done Moderna so I assume the system is just screwed up. But I have to drive over 2 hours and don't want to go there for no reason. And apparently, the people who answer the central vaccine appt line know nothing. :rolleyes:

canbelto

The anti-vaxxers on my SM are getting more stubborn, not less, in my observation. The "I don't know the long-term effects" crew has mostly come around and gotten shot #1. The crew now that won't get shots is more like "You don't love Jesus enough to trust him to keep you safe."

Sarah

I’m not sure what was up with Walgreens. They were super efficient 4 weeks ago and then today? They did call the next person immediately after my husband and it didn’t look like they had more than 3 or 4 waiting in total. It did look like the pharmacist was getting back from a lunch break.

I got mine at Rite Aid and it was much more efficient there... but different state.

Neither of us got stickers.

Dobre

Oregon has 580+ new cases today. 23 counties are now labeled "high" risk, but 11 of them really qualify for "extreme" risk. The governor is just waiting until the state hits 300 hospitalizations. (At the rate we are going, that might take maybe 4-7 days?) There are now 255 hospitalizations. Up about 80 since the governor set 300 as the target statewide. (2 weeks ago?)

Meanwhile she just OKed indoor contact sports. (Otherwise known, in my neck of the woods, as basketball. Now, you might think April 21st would be too late for schools to start high school basketball. That they might say, "Hey, this is a really good time of year for safer outdoor sports like track & tennis." But, no. My rural hometown used to have some form of high school basketball from essentially November to August of the following year. I'm sure someone there can't wait).

Susan1

2 updates from my cousin (..... her daughter "CS" found out she was exposed at work last Wednesday, started feeling bad Thursday, positive test Friday)

email from Tuesday 7:42 p.m. - CS still has it the worst but today she has had 90 minutes where she has been able to sit upright without eye mask and complete silence. Coughing last night was terrible. But doctor said as long as it stopped intermittently and she could recover her breath she was as well as could be expected.

Five minutes later -
Just that fast I feel like a house landed on me. Does anyone remember Wizard of OZ? Shortness of breath, coughing, weak, the whole nine yards. Did what I had to for evening now to bed. I will update when I can.

Spikefan

The anti-vaxxers on my SM are getting more stubborn, not less, in my observation. The "I don't know the long-term effects" crew has mostly come around and gotten shot #1. The crew now that won't get shots is more like "You don't love Jesus enough to trust him to keep you safe."
I saw a good meme about this:
You won’t get vaccinated because you trust Jesus to keep you safe, so remind me why you need a gun?

Jenny

From the Bloc
The first time I crossed the border into British Columbia and back in 1994, CBP wanted to know if I had weapons or stolen children I was bringing into Canada. The US agents only cared whether I was bringing back fruits and vegetables. La plus ca change...

A few years ago I used to fly back and forth between Canada and the US with my cat. To bring her into Canada, I had to show proof of a recent rabies shot, and several times had to go to a secondary inspection area.

To bring her into the US, nothing. One time I remember standing at the border control kiosk and I had checked off the box for fruits, vegetables or animals; he asked what I had so I lifted the cat carrier up so he could see it, he stamped me and I was on my way.

I did have to remove her from the cage so it could go through the xray machine and carry her with me through the metal detector - squirming away with paws and claws splayed and my passport in my mouth - much to the amusement of other travellers at LaGuardia and Pearson :)

skategal

Bunny mama
A few years ago I used to fly back and forth between Canada and the US with my cat. To bring her into Canada, I had to show proof of a recent rabies shot, and several times had to go to a secondary inspection area.

To bring her into the US, nothing. One time I remember standing at the border control kiosk and I had checked off the box for fruits, vegetables or animals; he asked what I had so I lifted the cat carrier up so he could see it, he stamped me and I was on my way.

I did have to remove her from the cage so it could go through the xray machine and carry her with me through the metal detector - squirming away with paws and claws splayed and my passport in my mouth - much to the amusement of other travellers at LaGuardia and Pearson :)
BTDT except it was flying domestically with 2 pet rabbits. It was quite a scene at security especially once we were done the screening and trying to pry them off of me with their little claws embedded in my sweater. :lol:

Japanfan

BTDT except it was flying domestically with 2 pet rabbits. It was quite a scene at security especially once we were done the screening and trying to pry them off of me with their little claws embedded in my sweater. :lol:

What does BTDT mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information