News & Experiences continued

MacMadame

Staying at home
Did they ever do a study on how many women on BC pills died of blood clots?
Yes. (That's how they know that going on the pill increases your risk.)

Though I am happy to report that I didn't die. (Just was hospitalized for forever back in the dark ages of the 80s.)

Dobre

Maine and Puerto Rico have turned red on the NPR map.

Michigan is still climbing & up to 79 cases per 100K.
(The federal government is sending more people to give vaccinations).

New York has been going down again for about a week and is at 36 cases per 100K.

New Jersey is still in the 40s but lower than it was for a while there.

Nebraska has been back down in orange for a while. (I feel like at least a week).

Puerto Rico will close schools amid ********* surge​

The closures would go into effect April 12, roughly a month after some 100 of the island’s 858 public schools were authorized to reopen for the first time in a year.

In Michigan's latest ******** surge, there's a new kind of patient​

Last edited:

Dobre

Here's the article they need to get more men vaccinated:

One more reason to get vaccinated: Erectile dysfunction risk is 6 times higher for men with *********-19​

Dobre

And the conversation begins . . .

"Vaccines should be required for health care workers and for all students who plan to attend in-person classes this fall — including younger children once the vaccine is authorized for them by the Food and Drug Administration.

Employers should also be prepared to make vaccines mandatory for prison guards, E.M.T.s, police officers, firefighters and teachers if overall vaccinations do not reach the level required for herd immunity. Short of a mandate, these workers should be reminded that these vaccines have proved safe and are important not only for their health, but for the health of those they deal with in their jobs."

(While following this line of thought, one would likely add food workers in any kind of group setting, the military, anyone with a career on a ship, and probably a good many other high risk and essential jobs in which one person can expose many other people).

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Here's the article they need to get more men vaccinated:

One more reason to get vaccinated: Erectile dysfunction risk is 6 times higher for men with *********-19​

When you are suffering from a serious case of this thing,I think sex is the last thing in your mind.....🐸🐸😂😂😂😂

Prancer

Demonic Chihuahua
Staff member
This interview came up in a class discussion the other day; I thought it had some interesting insights into the peculiarities of American public health responses.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I daresay this problem was very likely noted post-crud recovery, not during the illness itself.
I know.😀😀.

in all seriousness, If this develops post crud, it might also hint at problems with the heart or other conditions that lead to erectile dysfunction

Susan1

OMG - my cousin's daughter, was exposed to the c.v. at work - insurance office. She has a low grade fever and loss of taste. They are getting her a rapid test tomorrow morning at UC. She's 27, and she and her son live with my cousin, who is 61 and in poor health already. I don't think anybody has been vaccinated. I asked once in an email and she didn't respond.

🙏 🤞

Dobre

Oregon has 816 cases today:(. Jumping up another hundred. 32 more cases in rural Grant County:yikes:. 126 in Multnomah. 97 in Clackamas. 50 in Jackson County. 85 in the Bend area. It's a hot mess, and we should have stopped it last week. Up to 200 hospitalizations. (So we're just going to watch these cases climb until we get to 300? I'm exagerrating a bit as some counties had capacity numbers cut last week, but indoor dining, bars, & recreation can stay open. And by the time they can't, who knows how out of control this is going to be?)

39,000+ vaccinations.

3 deaths. 2 of the 3 people with no underlying conditions.

I believe most high schools in the state are supposed to be open by Monday. (It was a date in the middle of April). High schools in counties at Extreme Risk weren't required to reopen yet, but now we've changed the metrics & I don't think we're labeling counties at Extreme Risk until . . . I don't know when except that 300 hospitalizations statewide was significant).

Dobre

And this is why we should have stopped the case numbers from blowing up:

Oregon ******** update, April 14: New variants exploding in Oregon​

"On Wednesday, the state reported eight cases of the B.1.351 variant, first identified in South Africa. It previously was unreported in Oregon.

The state reported four cases of the P.1 variant, first identified in Brazil. That’s up from one case last week.

It reported 69 cases of the B.1.1.7 variant, first reported in the U.K., up from 22 last week."

8 cases of the South African variant all identified at once today! If this ruins my ability to keep working, I will be so furious. We had a system that was keeping case numbers down and helping to suppress the dangerous variants from blowing up. Of course, some people didn't like the system, but they knew what to expect. And almost all counties had worked their way out of serious restrictions. We could have continued to focus on two or three counties at a time and protected others. We just needed to stick to the system for a couple more months!

becca

I trust the Brazilian government about as much as I trust the Russians.

The day before yesterday, a German friend sent me an article about Sputnik and that scientists have raised questions about the data that was released. One of the issues that they had is that it was too conform/showed the exact same numbers with regards to immune response etc even though it was given to a variety of people.
The Brazilian government has not approved and under pressure not to.

Studies out of India, Argentina, and I hear Turkey are confirming the 90 percent effectiveness.

I actually don’t think it’s in the Russians interest to inflect a bad vaccine on the world.

As for the blood clot issue that where Russians figures are problematic. Can we trust them not so sure. Part of the problem is Russia rushed to be the first that it caused more questions.

The Russian government has its issues but they do have good scientists in that country. It’s probably a decent vaccine. And their strategy of using a different second shot is already being tested by other countries.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
The Russian government has its issues but they do have good scientists in that country. It’s probably a decent vaccine.
But you can say the same about China. They do have good scientists in their country. Yet their vaccine isn't very good at all.

I'm not saying the Russian vaccine is bad. I'm saying we need data from a trusted source in order to decide.

Miezekatze

But you can say the same about China. They do have good scientists in their country. Yet their vaccine isn't very good at all.

I'm not saying the Russian vaccine is bad. I'm saying we need data from a trusted source in order to decide.
Slovenia didn't approve Sputnik V, because they saw trouble in the data and they say the Sputnik V vaccine they actually received is NOT identical to the stuff that was described in the Lancet study.

Considering that and the fact that it's also a vector vaccine I'm not very optimistic that the vaccine will play a role in Europe short term.

Susan1

2. Sanjay Gupta was talking about how it's blood clots associated with the brain, not lungs or heart. And he said people have mentioned BC pills, which don't have anything to do with it. So I'm not the only one whose mind went there. But now there is a man with blood clots. So, never mind. Ha.

3. My cousin wrote back last night that they have not gotten vaccinated because they thought they had it back in the spring when they came back from California (before masking, etc.) and had to be tested. I didn't know anything about this. And were around her brother's family when they were positive back in November and got tested and were negative. And they all sat around without masks on the 4th of July.

becca

Slovenia didn't approve Sputnik V, because they saw trouble in the data and they say the Sputnik V vaccine they actually received is NOT identical to the stuff that was described in the Lancet study.

Considering that and the fact that it's also a vector vaccine I'm not very optimistic that the vaccine will play a role in Europe short term.
I don’t trust Slovenia here they fired the Prime Minister for buying the shots in the first place and only claimed the were issues after they fired the Prime Minister. Its in their best interest to say there is problems with the shot. Otherwise they are giving away a good shot.

The Russian shot is better the the Chinese ones. Their shot had been tested in Turkey the Russian shot is better. Further the Russians published their data the Chinese have not.

Last edited:

Miezekatze

Other countries have pointed out inconsistencies or inplausibilities in the data of the Sputnik V Lancet study too though, so I simply doubt that health agencies like FDA or EMA will look at it and say everythings totally super.

Plus our German health expert says the vector of one of the 2 Sputnik V shots ist the same as in J&J. So he assumes the cerebral vernous sinus thrombosis issue is likely to show up too when vaccinating younger people.
So even if Sputnik V gets approved in like May or June, if it's only suitable for older people, there probably won't be many unvaccinated people over 60 left in many countries, but it might be useful for countries who haven't received many vaccines yet at all.

becca

Other countries have pointed out inconsistencies or inplausibilities in the data of the Sputnik V Lancet study too though, so I simply doubt that health agencies like FDA or EMA will look at it and say everythings totally super.

Plus our German health expert says the vector of one of the 2 Sputnik V shots ist the same as in J&J. So he assumes the cerebral vernous sinus thrombosis issue is likely to show up too when vaccinating younger people.
So even if Sputnik V gets approved in like May or June, if it's only suitable for older people, there probably won't be many unvaccinated people over 60 left in many countries, but it might be useful for countries who haven't received many vaccines yet at all.
The data in Argentina is saying its strong and the best of the vaccines they have there.

I actually think it’s better for Europe to have the MRNA vaccines and I think It’s good Sputnik is going to be used in places like India. (India will also manufacture)

Sputnik can be stored in a regular fridge. So probably a good shot to have in places like Africa.

I don’t Trust the Russians with the blood clot but there are some differences in their vaccine so who knows. I mean the Russians is testing more efficient we don’t know yet what is causing the issue on J/J and AZ

Last edited:

Prancer

Demonic Chihuahua
Staff member

Myth or reality? Health experts weigh in on whether ‘herd immunity’ is possible

Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief medical advisor to President Joe Biden, has said that 75% to 85% of people need to be inoculated to create an “umbrella” of immunity that prevents the ***** from spreading. Fisher estimates that the figure is around 70%.

“Getting to … 70% is possible, but there’s lot of threats to it,” he said, explaining that the percentage of a population that’s immune to *********-19 would drop if immunity wears off, render the vaccines less effective.

“Herd immunity is something very nice and conceptual to aim for, but it’s more complicated than that,” he said during a call. “If you want to call a magic number of about 70%, then all I’m saying is that’s very difficult to attain and maintain.”

The Nature article referenced in the article above

As *********-19 vaccination rates pick up around the world, people have reasonably begun to ask: how much longer will this ********* last? It’s an issue surrounded with uncertainties. But the once-popular idea that enough people will eventually gain immunity to SARS-CoV-2 to block most transmission — a ‘herd-immunity threshold’ — is starting to look unlikely.

That threshold is generally achievable only with high vaccination rates, and many scientists had thought that once people started being immunized en masse, herd immunity would permit society to return to normal. Most estimates had placed the threshold at 60–70% of the population gaining immunity, either through vaccinations or past exposure to the *****. But as the ********* enters its second year, the thinking has begun to shift. In February, independent data scientist Youyang Gu changed the name of his popular *********-19 forecasting model from ‘Path to Herd Immunity’ to ‘Path to Normality’. He said that reaching a herd-immunity threshold was looking unlikely because of factors such as vaccine hesitancy, the emergence of new variants and the delayed arrival of vaccinations for children.

becca

Honestly I am going to live my life as best as possible I will wear masks and work from home but I will live my life

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
I don’t trust Slovenia here they fired the Prime Minister for buying the shots in the first place and only claimed the were issues after they fired the Prime Minister. Its in their best interest to say there is problems with the shot. Otherwise they are giving away a good shot.
Despite the lack of punctuation, I finally figured out that you meant Slovakia so you can trust Slovenia if you want now. :p

becca

Despite the lack of punctuation, I finally figured out that you meant Slovakia so you can trust Slovenia if you want now. :p

I need to fix that I meant Slovakia I am sorry. I do think though that reason would suggest if a prime minister was ousted over getting the vaccine issues were going to be found.
I do understand why some Eastern Europeans don’t trust Russia

Slovenia I don’t have issues with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information