News & Experiences continued

Dobre

My had-to-be-forced-to-require-masks local grocery store owner got vaccinated. :cheer2:

J&J so he is all done:). He was talking about it in the store, and saying how he felt great this morning & hadn't had any side effects (yet). I think the fact that he is discussing it is really good because hopefully he will have the same conversation with various other people who come in. The woman he was talking to also told him her story about when she was vaccinated. This is what we need. We need people gathering in grocery stores to share their vaccination stories. For people to hear from more & more of their own peers who are vaccinated. Peer pressure working for the common good.

And ultimately, we need the less driven people to run into the opportunity to get vaccinated. (He was in a city pharmacy & decided to get vaccinated spur of the moment).

SkateSand

Cat Servant
We're heading to the Oregon coast on Monday. The restrictions haven't changed in the county we will be spending most of our time in, but our first night is in a county that just instituted further restrictions. I chose this one hotel because it had a pool, but I think the pool will be closed now. Oh, well!

Amy L

Just got home from my second Pfizer jab. :cheer2: My arm is already sore, the first time it took a full day. Mom has had no side effects from her 2nd on Monday, though she's immunocompromised so I guess that's why her system is reacting to it lazily.

There was no line at the hospital and I was in & out in 20 minutes. I know that 4 clinics were just supplied with it and one pharmacy has had a few shipments. So I really hope the lack of a line was due to more availability and not the fact that this place is a redneck dystopia.

I was just looking it up online, my county is at 28% with at least one shot, 17% fully vaxxed. The local newspaper reported only 30% were willing to get it during the initial rollout. Since we're getting towards that 30% mark already, maybe that number can go up. I don't know anyone who doesn't know at least one person who died of the plague, even if they think it was some conspiracy that ultimately caused it (I mean, that person is still dead). Once people realize they know someone that's been vaxxed and hasn't been personally murdered by Bill Gates, I can only hope they'll be more motivated to go and get it for themselves.

(still looking for a zoo vet to come and stealthily tranq my husband)

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
And ultimately, we need the less driven people to run into the opportunity to get vaccinated. (He was in a city pharmacy & decided to get vaccinated spur of the moment).
And also knowing that, if it's a two-dose vaccine, that getting a second shot elsewhere won't be a stressor. One of my coworkers was visiting the other side of the state and saw a "Come In and Get Vaccinated" sign on a pharmacy. She thought about it, but didn't want to either have to drive several hours to get shot #2 or worry about not being able to book it easily around here.

Washington State just finally was able to hear that people in various jobs and industries needed extended evening hours. NYC learned that decades ago, and was vaccinating people 24x7. (I'm thinking it was for polio.)

In Moscow, they're offering the vaccine to people in shopping malls.

I get that in the beginning, when you have more people who want it than vaccine, that, aside from medical people and people in long-term care, you can make people come to you, but when you have the vaccine and there is resistance, you can start to get the vaccine to where the people are.

Dobre

It was somewhere in or just outside of Spokane. My co-worker now regrets not having stopped.
I think "Come in" signs are a good idea. The store owner was also talking about a trip to the Tri-Cities so he may have seen the sign & gotten his shot there. I'm not sure any of the cities in my area in Oregon are yet at the point where they are vaccinating people without appointments. But if not, that day may be coming.

As far as I've heard, there still is no vaccine in small rural pharmacies, though it sounded earlier like some of our local pharmacies were attempting to acquire some. Hence, counties without at least mid-size cities don't have this as an option.

I did hear on the radio that the state is planning to distribute earmarked vaccine doses of Pfizer to more areas for the general-public tier in order to serve teens in the 16-18 year-old bracket. I don't know how widespread that distribution will be. (I'm pretty doubtful they will be sending it to my parents' county). But the state does need to send it out to counties that currently aren't getting Pfizer because, generally speaking, all of Eastern Oregon (& probably Southern Oregon) is getting Moderna. I was glad to get confirmation that people are thinking about this challenge. (Technically 16-18 year-olds with health issues are eligible to be vaccinated now, but those families might have to drive across the state to get it).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
West Virginia got the people who wanted the vaccine to be vaccinated faster and also almost certainly increased the number of people who wanted them by distributing vaccine to local, independent pharmacies, where people knew and trusted the pharmacy staff. They were among the first states, if not the first state, to open it up to everyone over the minimum age for the vaccine in question.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Well, well, well....Representative Don Bacon (R) is getting his first vaccine on Saturday. He had to wait because he had C-19 in December and says he is still having lung issues. He is talking about it now and encouraging all Republican men to get vaccinated. "It's not a hoax"

I hope those guys (R) listen to him as that is one of the lowest level of vaccinated population.
That moron lied about having it, too. He just said he'd been exposed and was in quarantine.

ballettmaus

My dad's cousin and her husband got YKW and the only place they've been is a hospital because they took a neighbor there for foot surgery. The neighbor is Asian and broke her foot after she was a victim of racism a week or so before that.

Both are over 65 and the husband has pre-existing conditions and both have not been vaccinated. For some reason, the 95-year-old mother of the husband still doesn't have an appointment. Also, the mother has a caretaker who comes once a week and a week or so before the cousin and husband got YKW, the caretaker stayed home and the following week told them that they had YKW. That's why the cousin and the husband were at the mother's place after they've been to the hospital but so far, the mother is fine and the hospital visit was 17 days ago. Hopefully, they visited her while they weren't yet contagious.

They also got a call from the health department, were told that they had to quarantine for 10 days and apparently, don't have to take a test to make sure they're not contagious anymore afterwards and were not asked a single question that would relate to contact tracing. (They're responsible people, so I'm assuming they contacted everyone themselves).

Fortunately, they're getting better but my dad's cousin had times when she was totally out of it, couldn't follow what was happening on TV and was rambling and her husband's lungs are affected but he hasn't required hospitalization so far.

MacMadame

Staying at home
CA doing well in cases. (Though cases are very much tied to testing so I tend to look at positivity rates where we are also doing well.)

I find most of the speculation about why and the doom and gloom about what could happen to be unconvincing. For example, they say that the UK variant isn't very widespread here but that is completely not true. It's now the dominant strain!

Last edited:

Dobre

Another day of 50,000+ vaccinations in Oregon.

The state had 560 new cases reported today. One of the news headlines today is "Impending Doom?" Another week to go until we are two weeks out from Spring Break.

24 cases in rural Grant County. (Those sound like outbreak numbers).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think our county-by-county vaccination data is all mucked up. I'm fairly sure that counties are recording the number of vaccinations given, not the number of vaccinations received by county residents. People are going to get vaccinated wherever the vaccine is available. If you're in Gilliam County & you can't get vaccinated there, you're going to drive across the county line & go get vaccinated in Wheeler County. I don't know if everyone in Grant County drove to Baker, but it's rather suspicious that we've got the "lowest" percentage county (almost 20% lower than everywhere else) physically right next to a county with the "highest" recorded number of vaccinations (30% higher than everywhere else), isn't it? I mean, Grant County is plenty red but Baker County is too. Why would Baker County of all places have 93% completion? In other parts of the state, it's a matter of maybe 2% up from average in one county and 2% down in the neighboring county. The math is kind of . . . obvious, I think. Also why would Clatsop County on the northwest coast be low? Politically, they were all ready to mandate masks before the governor required it. Something is up with their vaccination numbers. Maybe people are driving to Washington. Or maybe that portion of the coast is behind because they have a large percentage of retirees. I don't know. But it makes no more sense that Clatsop County is seeing lower vaccination rates than it makes sense than Baker County is ahead. Also, the state said we were at 70% completion for 65+ in general over a week ago so why would all counties except Baker come in below 70% per the NYT vaccination map? (Baker County could not remotely balance out the numbers from the rest of the state).

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Well, our prime minister's run of epically f***ing up everything in sight has extended to encompass the vaccine rollout. First there were the Black Summer fires, then his attempt to take a herd immunity approach to the ********* (quickly ignored by the premiers and first ministers). Then he put almost all of our eggs in the UQ and AstraZeneca baskets so he could splash around locally produced vaccines and position himself as our saviour from the premiers and their lockdowns and ride to easy victory in an early election...

And suddenly UQ was forced to cease work on their vaccine because recipients were returning false positives for HIV. Then while the issues with AZ and clotting were arising overseas and our local vaccine rollout was...not rolling, we entered an extended sidebar comprising an allegation of a rape in Parliament House that the prime minister claims with zero plausibility to have never known anything about, another, historical rape allegation against the (now former) Attorney-General, and a jawdropping incident involving parliamentary staffers engaging in what were awkwardly referred to in the news media as "solo sex acts" on the desks of female ministers and filming them to brag to their mates, to which said prime minister utterly failed to respond adequately. Meanwhile, the vaccine lumber-out continued to fall further and further behind an unhelpfully inflated target due to doses not getting into the country for a variety of reasons, and then not getting from the feds to the states and territories*, information not getting from the feds to anyone and the feds picking a bizarre boutique delivery process because apparently "old people only want to get the vaccine from their GPs where they feel comfy" instead of handing the job over to the states and territories that have the resources to organise mass vaccinations effectively. And then, after hours on Thursday night, came the announcement of an advisory from the TGA that AZ should only be used for persons under 50 "if the benefits clearly outweigh the risks for that individual" and they've made an informed decision to accept those risks, and Pfizer is preferred, even though we've not even received half of the Pfizer doses we were supposed to by this point and the extra ones the prime minister claims to have "secured"** won't even materialise until sometime after October.

Cue chaos on Friday morning as those few places that actually had vaccine supplies, appointments booked and people ready to get their first AZ show had to cancel everything until they knew what to do next. Meanwhile the prime minister was making an arse of himself in public by trying to lecture us about how the contraceptive pill is more dangerous than the AZ vaccine*** so people should still get it so he won't look like a complete idiot and a failure.

Right now nobody really knows what's even happening. Including those GPs so central to Saviour Scotty's rollout plan. #auspol Twitter promptly redubbed him #clotmorrison and #ClottyFromMarketing and frankly he deserves those and worse. We'll be lucky if half the adult population's had the first dose of any vaccine by the end of the year. He must have thought it was a gift from his highly unpleasant god that Phil the Dill popped his clogs right when he needed a distraction from everything he's effed up over the course of the past year and a half, except he's making an embarrassing prat of himself responding to that too.

I really, really hope that the stench of this extended display of incompetence manages to linger until the next election, but I'm afraid it won't.

*Or, occasionally, to the wrong states and territories. At one point a batch of vaccines that was supposed to come to South Australia somehow ended up in Perth instead. Though I will acknowledge that the floods in NSW did legitimately make things difficult there for a while.
**This is a #ScottyFromMarketing weasel word that might, in time, reveal itself to mean "purchased", "signed a letter of intent about", "spoke to Pfizer about", "thought about getting", "lied about getting" or "announced", but does not actually mean "got".
***It's not. The clotting risk associated with the pill is higher but the pill creates a different kind of clot and, these days, that kind is not deadly, unlike the less frequent kind of clots associated with the AZ vaccine, which can be.

Dobre

Illinois turned red on the NPR map today.

Oklahoma moved up from yellow to orange earlier this week. Now Arizona and Louisiana have moved up from yellow to orange also.

For those people in need of "balanced" news from a map;), New Mexico & Missouri have done well at holding their averages in place. Still borderline orange & yellow after quite a number of weeks in that zone. And West Virginia is hanging in there, bringing its average down to 21 cases per 100K after climbing right to the edge of red at 24. Hawaii also pulled back and managed to stay in yellow after case numbers rose almost to orange. South Carolina finally dropped down out of the 20s & is at 19 cases per 100K today.

States currently in red: Alaska, Colorado, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Delaware.

States currently in yellow: Hawaii, California, New Mexico (fluctuating), Kansas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama.

Vermont has been in red all week but dropped down to orange today. Nebraska also has fluctuated between orange & red this week.

Other states that are in orange & close to red with between 20 & 24 cases per 100K: Maine, Maryland, South Dakota.

Puerto Rico & all other states are in orange.

sk8pics

I was working this morning at another vaccine clinic at the animal shelter I work with (rabies and so on, not crud vaccines, LOL). It's drive up but there were several clients who got out of their cars, some against instructions, and were talking to staffers without wearing their masks. The vet was shaking her head and saying she couldn't believe it. This was the worst it's been, I thought. At least we were outside.

Dobre

Oregon has 761 new cases today:(. Skyrocketing & we've missed our chance to do something about it. It's so frustrating! Numbers are high in all the counties with big cities.

We added 50,000+ vaccinations again today. This is the silver lining as we were averaged @25,000 maybe a month ago.

(With 50,000 a day, I do think we'll be ready for the general population when it is their turn, though worried the lower Johnson & Johnson numbers will hit right when we open vaccinations for everyone. By adding adult relatives that share households with essential workers to the current tier, though, I think we're reaching a much larger segment of the population now than was originally planned).

It's drive up but there were several clients who got out of their cars, some against instructions, and were talking to staffers without wearing their masks. The vet was shaking her head and saying she couldn't believe it. This was the worst it's been, I thought.
Here the people who have been vaccinated are choosing not to wear masks in stores even though it is still mandated. I ran into two school staff members not wearing them at my grocery store this week. They know the store owner won't enforce it since he hasn't this whole time. Just "role model," people.

Dave of the North

There have been some positive tests at the World Mens Curling Championships. (4th event in the curling bubble in Calgary)

Playoffs on hold

"Four members of three international teams tested positive for the ***** in "exit" tests before departing Canada. They did not show symptoms of the ********."

They are testing everybody again and need to rejig the playoff schedule. None of these positives were on teams that are still in the playoffs.

There are Grand Slam events scheduled in the bubble over the next two weeks, starting Wednesday.

Susan1

This was on the yahoo newsfeed (Michigan)

acraven

The US set another vaccination record with today's report (primarily vaccinations completed Friday and immediately before): over 4.6 million shots given.

There are still over 10 million doses of J & J shown as shipped but not used; those will take care of a lot of people who want to avoid the two-shot regimen. And there should be another 3+ million doses not yet shipped out; I think J & J was said to have delivered about 20 million doses by late March. The feds seem to be dribbling out the last few million.

becca

This was on the yahoo newsfeed (Michigan)
Yeah that is the problem with people who refuse to get vaccinated but I have decided to wear masks and live my life. No guarantees

Dobre

********* cases overwhelm Michigan health system, Gov. Whitmer urges residents to stay home​

"Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer urged high schools to temporarily halt in-person learning and residents to restrict their activities as a surge in *********-19 cases overwhelms the state’s public health system.

The governor also asked schools to voluntarily suspend youth sports games and practices and residents to avoid in-person dining for the next two weeks."

"*********-19 infections have surged across the state in recent weeks, approaching the state’s ********* high set in November at an average of 7,226 new cases per day over the last week — a 23% jump over the previous week, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University."

"Because we are seeing so many cases a day, our public health system is overwhelmed. We are not able to get information on many cases, nor are we able to identify their close contacts. We don’t know where all the cases or outbreaks are, and what we do know is likely an undercount,” Khaldun said."

This last is one of the things I am concerned about. How are we going to keep up with contact tracing if we let cases rise out of control with the hope that current infected people may be low-risk due to more vaccinations among high-risk folks?

becca

Apparently the Biden administration is doing the same. This really really bothers me. I mean it would be one thing if we’re were giving these nations vaccines but we are not.
But we are now trying to stop other nations from giving them vaccines over some kind of geopolitical points. It’s really immoral. Not convinced US policy is about lives. If the vaccine is safe it should not matter who created it. The ***** goes after everyone.

once_upon

Don't get me wrong, because I would have taken any vaccine offered to me, but I find it very strange/weird wanting to wait until they can have J&J because it is one shot.

Two shots - not a deal breaker. I dont get it.

We went to several wineries yesterday, people were complying with masking inside the building or if no outside seating available more than 6-10 feet table distance and limited occupancy. (ETA - of course masks were off when people were drinking wine)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information