News & Experiences continued

Susan1

Only downside is how will they figure out when and who to give the second doses to?
When they first started talking about vaccines in Ohio, someone asked what they were supposed to do if they got the first vaccine in Ohio, but weren't in Ohio (Florida) for the second one. If they got their second dose in Florida, they could be taking away a first dose from a person in Florida. But that would leave a first dose for someone in Ohio. There is no organization or coordination anywhere.

Oreo

I think anybody who shows up for the vaccine and ticks the boxes as likely dying from the v**** if they catch it...old, fat, those with respiratory diseases, whether they’re legal, illegal, privileged, non privileged... Stick that jab in! Who cares where they come from. Just get on with it.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I think anybody who shows up for the vaccine and ticks the boxes as likely dying from the v**** if they catch it...old, fat, those with respiratory diseases, whether they’re legal, illegal, privileged, non privileged... Stick that jab in! Who cares where they come from. Just get on with it.

The problem with that approach, though, is that some people are more vulnerable to catching the ***** than others are. Personally I don't have a problem with people who are more vulnerable getting the vaccine before I do.

MacMadame

Staying at home
They are studying whether those vaccinated can still spread the v***s. It has yet to be determined.
It has yet to be determined but (a) for at least some of the vaccines, it's highly unlikely, and (b) for the others where it's more possible, it's believed the less your symptoms, the less you spread because your viral load is lower.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Dr Fauci says that even those vaccinated could be potential carriers:

Health officials from Dr. Anthony Fauci on down are cautioning people that no one can dump the the face masks and social distancing behavior just because they've been vaccinated.

That's because even people who are themselves immune to the ***** might be exposed to it and transmit it to others. It can grow in the nose, says Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"It's possible that someone could get the vaccine but could still be an asymptomatic carrier," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician. "They may not show symptoms, but they have the ***** in their nasal passageway so that if they're speaking, breathing, sneezing and so on, they can still transmit it to others."

Given these unanswered questions, the CDC says vaccinated people should still use "all the tools available to us" to stop the *********, including wearing a mask and staying at least 6 feet away from others.

AJ Skatefan

I was driving on the freeway yesterday and saw people on an overpass waving signs that said that the ***** was made-up and to just say no to the vaccine. OMG in my own politically liberal city. Can’t imagine what it’s like in other places

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I was driving on the freeway yesterday and saw people on an overpass waving signs that said that the ***** was made-up and to just say no to the vaccine. OMG in my own politically liberal city. Can’t imagine what it’s like in other places
Unfortunately there is no vaccine to prevent assholes from being assholes. If these shitheads don’t think this is real, Lady Figureskates will be glad to clue them in......

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
The South African variant is spreading as countries just to their north are showing a spike in new cases. Still monitoring countries around Nigeria to see if that variant is spreading.

The UK variant is beginning to take hold in Europe as daily cases are increasing.

There is a disturbing increase in cases in Brazil. Are we seeing an import of one of these variants or are we seeing a new Brazilian variant?

Dobre

Oregon National Guard will join vaccination effort this weekend, Gov. Brown says​

"The Oregon National Guard will join the effort to speed up vaccinations in the state, Gov. Kate Brown said Friday.

'We are deploying the National Guard to provide vaccination support starting this weekend with Salem Health's vaccination event at the state fairgrounds,' Brown said. 'Our guard members will be providing logistical and nursing support. The goal is to vaccinate 250 people per hour, vaccinating thousands of Oregonians.'

1,755 cases today in Oregon, which is a new high:(. Not a surprise as technical difficulties suppressed the numbers from yesterday.

Louis

Private citizen

Sorry if this was posted but Sweden has finally gotten with the program.

Not quite.

The government may fine or close down businesses that fail to follow restrictions on the number of people allowed into stores, gyms and shopping centers, Lofven said at a press briefing on Friday. An eight-person cap on public gatherings will be broadened to include private events, he added.

as of Thursday, face masks are necessary in rush hour on public transport even if there will be no sanctions for not wearing them. Upper secondary schools for 16-19 year-olds that have been closed since early December will remain so until at least January 24. This week the public health agency gave secondary schools for 13-16 year-olds the option to close if needed — but added that the default should be to remain open.

This doesn't sound like "lockdown" to me. Eight-person cap on private events. Face masks recommended in rush hour on public transport. :lol: :lol: :lol: Malls and gyms can be fined if too many people are there. Sign me up for this lockdown!

That said, even anti-lockdown me is begrudgingly OK with lockdowns at this point. Vaccines are on the horizon, and there is an end in sight. We have a good estimate of the necessary time horizon and can set clear and unambiguous exit criteria.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Um, that's pretty close to the "lockdown" other Nordic countries have been doing.
The situation in Sweden is bad enough that the Svalbard Group are in unofficial talks about how the other Nordic countries can help Sweden with ********* relief if/when they ask. Their health system is feeling the strain. No link, this was on news here with our member of that group.

Susan1

Who are the people in this article? All I read about is "we want our kids back in school" because they don't want them at home anymore.

Do they know that it is up to the school districts if they want to go back, then it is up to the parents if they want their kids to go back? These school employees would be getting the first dose way before anybody else in their age group - unless they are over 65. Are these the same people who are running around the state not wearing masks and having family gatherings. Ohio sucks.

Dobre

This is just stupid. If he wants teachers to pledge that they will go back to work once the vaccine has been given time to fully go into effect (and their school districts open), then OK. But no. He wants them to pledge to go back to work before the vaccination becomes fully protective. And odds are high that many teachers who are not currently working full time are not doing so because they are at high-risk. So hello. If you are at high risk, you should wait until the vaccine is fully effective within your body prior to placing yourself in an environment with 25+ kids who are not vaccinated.

KCC

Missouri's numbers have not shown on the worldometer charts for the last few days. Is there some kind of break in the connection between their state database and the worldometer reports or have they not reported the number of new cases and deaths even within their state?

I got yelled at for wearing a mask this morning when I was out walking my dog. Yes, we were outside and this particular interaction was quick, but I often stop to chat with people (and dogs) that I see regularly and besides, the mask was keeping my face warm. As if people have nothing better to do than yell obscenities at random dog walkers for being overly cautious (and warm) during a *********.

Dobre

Missouri's numbers have not shown on the worldometer charts for the last few days. Is there some kind of break in the connection between their state database and the worldometer reports or have they not reported the number of new cases and deaths even within their state?
Local articles are reporting case numbers from today. Missouri had 4,000+ ascribed to Friday. (If I google "Missouri ********," I can also get the google graph with numbers for yesterday & the day before. Those numbers never match the ones in local articles; but they are close-ish much of the time).

Reactions: KCC

moebius

Dr Fauci says that even those vaccinated could be potential carriers:
What kind of shitty vaccine is this that doesn't completely work? Still have to wear mask, keep your distance, potential to spread the CV...It's almost the same as not being vaccinated. Why are they using mRNA as a vaccine? Is it because they never truly isolated the *****? I have yet to see a peer reviewed article stating the they isolated a pure CV, not a mixed with other junk. Why not make a traditional vaccine i.e. killed or attenuated? If I remember from high school biology, mRNA is the blueprint for making proteins. It is made in the nucleus, then transported out of the nucleus to make a protein. I don't want this foreign mRNA messing with my DNA. Something fishy is going on...

Dobre

I'm seeing articles in a number of states today about large-scale vaccination "events." It's good to see articles about vaccinations starting to dominate headlines.

Mexico has had a new high for ******** cases 3 days in a row.

North Carolina nurses are reporting that ICUs are at 100% capacity. Meanwhile most nursing home workers in the state are refusing to be vaccinated:wall:.

Georgia had a new high of 10,393 cases today.

New York's numbers are continuing to climb to new highs. I'm not finding the number of new cases there in articles. The Google graph says over 17,000 cases yesterday. The state is also planning to start Phase 2 vaccinations next week.

New Mexico is beginning its 2nd group of vaccinations. (Teachers, grocery store workers, 75+, people at high risk due to health concerns, etc).

South Carolina had a new high of 4,986 today. They may start off vaccinations for people in the next phase next week. (There would be overlap between people from the first two phases for several weeks).

Utah is beginning to vaccinate educators on Monday. The state--which had case numbers decline for a month & a half leading up to Christmas--has been spiking back at levels around its previous high ever since.

Hospitalizations are up in Texas. The state is holding several vaccination events.

Florida had 19,816 cases yesterday. I believe that is a new high (when you don't count post-holiday double numbers).

*Jen*

On a separate note, Allezfred's description of London is all too real right now :(. Which -- again -- is why I think the government is silly to have encouraged people to stay, v. arranging for those who can leave to go to safer places for the duration of lockdown in a safe and orderly way. I don't think anyone with a flat in London and a house in the rural Lake District is better off in London right now. The infections in my area are so bad that it's likely several people in my building, with whom I share a front door, mailbox, ventilation system, etc. have it. Because I don't have a second home or a car, the safest thing for me to do is to stay here. But if my neighbors have a second home and a safe way to get there, I hope they're there for their own sake and mine.
I actually think this is one thing the British government has done that’s sensible. The policy is about protection rural districts from Londoners, and a huge surge in cases. NHS resources are allocated on the basis of permanent populations. Having Londoners flood into the regions a) places those regions at increased risk of imported crud and b) means that they will run out of resources very quickly if there is a big outbreak, so that everywhere in the country will be like London.

The same policy was in place in Victoria during the Melbourne outbreak and very successfully protected rural areas from the same fate.

skatfan

@Louis said:According to various articles, people are being vaccinated without proof of citizenship, residency, or legal status in the country or the city / state. Which IMO is generally a good thing. The one and only factor should be speed

I read an article that said Midwest meat packing plants will not help/pay for their undocumented employees get vaccinated. Very short-sighted and unfair.

ballettmaus

Yes, that is just you, and others like me would say they're more deserving than illegal immigrants if you presented a hypothetical with one vaccine remaining in the world and two options to receive it.
Many undocumented immigrants work in jobs that keep food on our tables and streets and businesses/buildings clean (which helps to prevent outbreaks of other illnesses).
A few months ago, you considered the elderly expendable because you claimed they don't contribute to the economy. How come the younger folks who clean streets and buildings and pick crops, process meat and other foods and therefore assure that farmers, plants and supermarkets keep getting their money and people remain employed and healthy, are suddenly less deserving? Even if one acknowledges that you've just admitted that snowbirds do contribute to the economy, don't they still contribute less as the people who work in sanitation and agriculture and would, by your logic, have to be less deserving?

Dobre

The fact is that the government, itself, decided these jobs are essential. So essential that meat-packing plants with hundreds of sick workers were--per Trump & Tyson-- supposed to stay open. People died. Their family members died. Disease spread into the general population throughout multiple counties & states via these plants. And now, the governor of Nebraska claims these workers aren't essential after all & don't deserve medical protection.

There are no words for how heinous this is. He should be required to go work there, since the work is so essential & he doesn't want to protect the lives of the people doing the work.

ballettmaus

The fact is that the government, itself, decided these jobs are essential. So essential that meat-packing plants with hundreds of sick workers were--per Trump & Tyson-- supposed to stay open. People died. Their family members died. Disease spread into the general population throughout multiple counties & states via these plants. And now, the governor of Nebraska claims these workers aren't essential after all & don't deserve medical protection.

There are no words for how heinous this is. He should be required to go work there, since the work is so essential & he doesn't want to protect the lives of the people doing the work.
It's not just the meat-packing plants. Workers from the fields said the same last year. I have no idea if they'll fare better with regards to vaccinations. But I hope so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information