News & Experiences continued

Miezekatze

In Germany it currently looks as if the "soft lockdown" will continue until December 20th, with some a bit more stricter rules on contacts and older students at school. Then for christmas contact rules will be eased a bit.

Retail is open normally right now (just some capacity limits) and is probably going to stay open. I don't think they want to ruin the christmas business without imminent need.

The soft lockdown has plateaued the numbers, in some states they are actually declining quiet nicely, in others it's just stagnation. I think they might have some stricter rules for the states that are still not declining and maybe small lifting of restrictions for the few states who already have improved numbers.

The ICU bed capacity is sort of stagnating too, could be a lot worse!

MsZem

The rules in England are complex, as usual. The short version is if the "non-essential" items are in the same general area as the essential items, people can buy them. If they're in a separate area, they have to be closed. It's completely arbitrary. Laptops and phones are "non-essential." Baby clothes were, too, but the government back-stepped on that.
It reminds me of Passover in Israel, when shops are not allowed to sell products that are not Passover-Kosher and must hide them in some way (see example). It always brings out my rebellious side (= going to a supermarket in an Arab or Russian neighborhood :lol:).

This is more serious than that, but if a business is open then it is indeed a completely arbitrary restriction to only allow them to sell some of their stock. Any rules and restrictions should have a compelling public health rationale.

Miezekatze

This is more serious than that, but if a business is open then it is indeed a completely arbitrary restriction to only allow them to sell some of their stock. Any rules and restrictions should have a compelling public health rationale.
I think the idea behind those rules was that shops that sell a mixture of products (essential and non-essential) don't get an unfair advantage over shops that have to close completely (because they sell ONLY clothes for example), but in reality all shop closings give an unfair advantage to Amazon and the likes, plus there's so many loopholes, so it's sort of pointless to try to influence the market so artificially.

MsZem

I think the idea behind those rules was that shops that sell a mixture of products (essential and non-essential) don't get an unfair advantage over shops that have to close completely (because they sell ONLY clothes for example), but in reality all shop closings give an unfair advantage to Amazon and the likes, plus there's so many loopholes, so it's sort of pointless to try to influence the market so artificially.
Exactly. And there's no public health rationale for it, which IMO reduces compliance with things that are important.

Direct stimulus money to businesses that need to be closed, and let those that can stay open sell their stuff.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Good news for Western Europe. The trend lines for Daily cases crossed over on November 17th, will all now showing daily decreases. Unfortunately this does not apply to the daily death numbers which are increasing.

the news continues bad for Eastern Europe and Russia where all trend lines are steadily increasing for both cases and deaths.

MsZem

Keeping essential businesses open has unexpected benefits!

Susan1

Dr. Tom Frieden

President & CEO @ResolveTSL | Sr Fellow @CFR_org | Former Director @CDCgov & Cmish @nycHealthy | Focused on saving lives | c.v. pan-demic response & recovery

"For those getting tests before Thanksgiving: testing shouldn't give you a false sense of security. It takes 2-14 days after exposure to become infectious. You can test negative in the morning and be highly infectious in the afternoon."

cygnus

Good news for Western Europe. The trend lines for Daily cases crossed over on November 17th, will all now showing daily decreases. Unfortunately this does not apply to the daily death numbers which are increasing.

the news continues bad for Eastern Europe and Russia where all trend lines are steadily increasing for both cases and deaths.
Slovakia and the Czech Republic's numbers seem to be improving at least. (Although they would consider themselves "central" not "eastern" Europe).

canbelto

Anyone have an idea why Russia's second wave is so much deadlier? Have they stopped fudging the numbers?

Skate Talker

So today I located the new-today updated info on in-person retail store restrictions and the actual essential good list here in Manitoba if anyone is still interested.

Essential Items for Retail Sale​

Updated public health orders come into effect on November 20, 2020, to further limit retail operations to help halt the spread of the *********-19 ***** and protect Manitobans.

A retail business may open but sell only essential items in person. Retailers must ensure compliance with capacity limits -- either 25 per cent of the usual capacity of the premise or 250 people -- whichever is lower.

Retailers must also implement measures to ensure physical distancing. Retailers can continue to sell essential or non-essential items online, by telephone or by remote means for delivery or curb-side pick-up. A list of essential items is set out in the orders as below.

• Food and beverages

• Products related to food preparation or storage such as aluminum foil, saran wrap and food containers

• Personal care products such as soap and skin care products, hair care products, dental care products, eye care products, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, razors and shaving cream

• Health-related products such as prescription drugs, over the counter medication, vitamins and supplements, birth control and first aid products

• Mobility or assistive devices, such as wheel chairs, walkers, canes, splints and similar products or supplies

• Diapers, wipes, baby bottles and other infant feeding and nursing accessories, infant clothing and sleepers, car seats, cribs, strollers, infant carriers and monitors

• Household paper products such as toilet paper and paper towels

• Household cleaning products and supplies such as laundry detergent, dish soap, bleach, cleaning agents, mops and brooms

• Household safety and protection products such as smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers

• Batteries and light bulbs

• Winter jackets, snow pants, underwear, winter headwear, gloves and mitts, socks and winter boots

• Personal protective equipment and protective clothing for use in the workplace

• Tobacco products

• Alcohol

• Cannabis

• Pet food and supplies

• Postage stamps

• Cell phones and cell phone accessories

• Parts and supplies for all types of motor vehicles and watercraft

• Major household appliances

• Hunting, fishing and trapping supplies

• Tools and hardware

• Materials, parts and components for the maintenance, repair or construction of residential or commercial building systems, including plumbing, electrical and lighting, heating, cooling and ventilation systems

• Products related to property maintenance such as shovels, snow blowers, sand and road salt
  • Gift cards and pre-paid credit cards
  • Newspapers

Dobre

Reading my way through this article. Very interesting.

"Unlike older, slower ways of developing vaccines, which involve stimulating the body’s immune system by injecting inactivated or weakened viruses, Moderna and other companies created platforms that work like the operating system on a computer, allowing researchers to quickly insert new genetic code from a ***** — like adding an app — and create a new vaccine.

The method employs a synthetic form of a genetic molecule called messenger RNA, or mRNA, to cause human cells to make a harmless viral protein called a spike, which then stimulates the immune system to make antibodies and immune cells that can recognize the spike quickly and counterattack when needed.

Earlier efforts to test new types of vaccines in outbreaks like SARS, MERS and Zika had fizzled when the threat from those viruses receded, before large clinical trials could be carried out. But the outbreak spreading in China had the hallmarks of a prolonged *********, a tragedy but also a perfect testing ground for the new biotechnology.

Mr. Bancel, 48, had what one former colleague described as a 'warrior personality.' He had left a much bigger firm to become chief executive at Moderna in 2011, warning his wife that the firm’s mRNA bet had a 5 percent chance of success. But if that bet paid off, he told her, it would change the course of medicine."

"Now, with an actual ********* at hand, Mr. Bancel wanted to try out Moderna’s approach for real.

He described his team’s reaction as: 'Here he goes again. He’s crazy.'"

Last edited:

cholla

High ground loner
But I assume that in France, as in most places, liquor (alcoholic beverages) is essential, even though underwear and socks aren't. Is that correct?
Yes correct, and so is tobacco. Like everywhere else. To be fair, people are under enough pressure and stress without forcing them into withdrawal on top of it all. Some can see lockdown as the perfect time to quit smoking/drinking, but I assume most don't and I understand them.

beepbeep

Krud Karen
Yes correct, and so is tobacco. Like everywhere else. To be fair, people are under enough pressure and stress without forcing them into withdrawal on top of it all. Some can see lockdown as the perfect time to quit smoking/drinking, but I assume most don't and I understand them.
Quitting alcohol cold turkey, if the person is heavily addicted, is quite dangerous. Abstinence syndrome includes seizures.
Like narcotics, alcohol needs to be tapered off.

Louis

Private citizen

South Africa banned both :smokin: and :40beers: :nopryde:twice, during lockdown. The emergency rooms were overflowing with drunkards, and apparently banning alcohol was a net-positive on the health system's ability to treat people.

Parts of Spain have banned smoking within two meters of anyone since secondhand smoke is now known to transmit c*vid.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Slovakia and the Czech Republic's numbers seem to be improving at least. (Although they would consider themselves "central" not "eastern" Europe).
I agree. To cut down on the number of spreadsheets, I divided Europe into east and west. Russia was a separate spreadsheet.

Last edited:

cholla

High ground loner
The emergency rooms were overflowing with drunkards, and apparently banning alcohol was a net-positive on the health system's ability to treat people.

As much as one wants to be philosophically positive, ERs overflowed with alcoholics in the time of C0vid can't be a good thing. Handling someone with delirium tremens is complicated and time consuming and, as it can be life-threatening, it's an utmost emergency. Maybe medical staff could have done without the extra heavy work. In this regard, I'm unsure South Africa ban of alcohol was necessarily a good thing. And God knows I'm usually not very tolerant with alcoholics as, 15 years ago, one of them destroyed my life.

About tobacco, a study made by the University of Capetown showed that 93% of smokers had found a way to get their supplies... black markets. Article in French sorry, but le Monde is a very reliable source.

Parts of Spain have banned smoking within two meters of anyone since secondhand smoke is now known to transmit c*vid.
I know, but this is very different from closing all tobacco shops.

Last edited:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Reports around the country say a lot of people are traveling for thanksgiving.

Talk about a blueprint for the ultimate disaster.

Despite pleas from the CDC, Dr. Fauci, governors, mayors, local hospitals and local doctors, it’s ***** be damn...

And when this thing does blow up, I’m waiting for the whiners complaining why didn’t the authorities warn us and do something.

My response? STFU!

Last edited:

MsZem

Reports around the country say a lot of people are traveling for thanksgiving.

Talk about a blueprint for the ultimate disaste.

Despite pleas from the CDC, Dr. Fauci, governors, mayors, local hospitals and local doctors, it’s ***** be damn...
1. The number of idiots in the population is unfortunate. If only they'd affect just themselves... but that's not how it works, of course. We have a similar issue here with people holding big weddings, because if the viirus didn't RSVP then it's totally safe :rolleyes:

2. There's a lot of talk about how CoV19 will change things, we won't go back to [insert pre-CoV19 activity here]. But I'd argue the opposite: the rising case numbers are because people do want to live as they did before, and whatever changes end up happening will be more modest and vary between individuals.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
One of our secretaries has tested positive. She has multiple health issues including heart problems. I've had no direct contact with her, but the director of the respiratory care program and she spend a lot of time together. He's also got major health problems. My new at work mode is to keep my door closed at all times. It just keeps getting better. I don't know what the Dean is planning to do today with regard to faculty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information