News & Experiences continued

Dobre

A new high for the number of deaths and a new high for the number of cases in Oregon today. 20 deaths. A whole bunch of them were elderly in Jackson County. I looked it up to see if the county had a care facility outbreak, and they have five care facility outbreaks. Over 100 cases at Avamere:(. Community spread is rampant in Jackson County now. This after having the performing arts tourist economy in Ashland devastated by the ***** & the towns of Phoenix & Talent devastated during the fires.:wuzrobbed

Over 300 cases in Multnomah County. (They are frozen for at least 4 weeks). More counties with over 100 cases and more counties with over 20 than we have ever had.

Statewide closures officially started yesterday, but most of the counties with over 50 cases were paused the first week of November.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I could also just ignore the restrictions, as so many people do, because there is no enforcement. For example, one of my friends was invited to a family party two weeks ago for her niece, who just earned a master's degree. My friend ended up not going because she was sick. A few days later, another family member died of cancer and they held the funeral last weekend. My friend did attend that. It seems to me that the restriction in this case was more of a recommendation, given that there was nothing to stop them from having either event. As it turns out, someone had the crud at the party and thus several someones had the crud at the funeral. My friend is really sick at the moment, but she will likely survive. There are other relatives who might not, as they are pretty high risk. Did they all objectively assess their risk factors and make a considered decision to attend anyway? I find it doubtful, myself, especially for the funeral. But I don't know. I mean, the friend in question lectured me not too long ago because I don't wear a mask when I take the dog for a walk, something I consider pretty much no risk at all. How many of us are actually capable of assessing risk?
My friend was feeling well enough for a Zoom chat today. Patient Zero for this event is in the ICU on a vent. So far about 26 people who were at the funeral have been infected, if not more. She has officially tested positive, but has not yet been contacted by the state health department and she was given no guidance on quarantine and isolation measures.

She lives in a different state, so I have no idea what the normal procedure is.

I told her I expect to hear about this one on the news one of these days.

Oh, yes, and she is pretty angry and surprised that she got it. I know this family; I'm not. :shuffle:

Let's take back our power democratically.
Just out of curiosity, how is this bill democratic when the majority of citizens in the state support the governor's actions?

Asking for a friend who lives here and is familiar with the situation.
I had to go away after I read this. I'm still upset, so….. unless you live in Ohio or have relatives who are positive, butt out. What is wrong with you? It's a republican controlled government. I don't know the breakdown, but 75-11 is not bipartisan.
It is indeed a Republican-controlled government, with a Republican majority in all branches. But 75-11 is still bipartisan, as the breakdown is 65-33.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
We had five deaths today in our county. That's the most we've ever had at once. We currently have 35 people hospitalized and I think there are 4 in the ICU. It's going to get even worse here because we still have the hardcore anti-maskers. The governor just announced a 10:00 p.m to 5:00 a.m. curfew and people are going nuts - the police chief already said he wasn't going to enforce it. (sigh)

Lemonade20

Former Kurtholic
Our province (BC) is finally cracking down. Masks are now mandatory in all indoor public spaces, no gatherings of more than 10 people at weddings/funerals, no social gatherings at all, and all events/markets (even under 50 people) are canceled. They put the restrictions in place for two weeks just for the lower part of BC, but that failed miserably. So they extended it and included the rest of the province. We're also told not to travel at all unless it's essential (meaning we can't go from community to community). I'm hoping this helps bend the curve.

Louis

Private citizen
Just out of curiosity, how is this bill democratic when the majority of citizens in the state support the governor's actions?

It would require the decision to be approved by the legislature in a democratic vote rather than by a governor using executive order. We've seen the randomness and chaos of these orders. We've seen the lack of accountability and evidence. I will continue to scream until kingdom come that we need to see a balanced equation that quantifies the lives saved v. reasonable estimate of harm inflicted on others, including death, illness, and economic loss; no ethical person should vote for shutdown without seeing that equation, which AFAIK no one has still bothered to present.

The governor should not have this power alone. I do not believe he does, and some constitutional experts agree with me. Sadly, not all do, and the courts have upheld most of the challenges though with split votes. The good news is that we can remove these powers via legislation, which should be a top objective of any fair-minded person (tyrannies of the majority notwithstanding).

What is the harm of requiring people to present their evidence for evaluation and vote? It can happen quickly, but it must happen.

Orm Irian

...I'd forgotten it was time for the these again, but it just crossed my Twitter feed - Dr Norman Swan, Tegan Taylor and Will Ockenden (producer) just won a Walkley Award for Coronacast! Not bad for a little ten-minute podcast that was supposed to run for six weeks only - and had no advertising budget but still got more downloads in less time than the government's excruciatingly expensive and all but useless CovidSafe app. :lol:

They all deserve it and I hope they're very proud of themselves. Of course, the federal government hates them in particular for standing up against their laissez-faire approach early on, and the ABC in general, so this will probably help prompt another round of funding cuts to the national broadcaster, but hey, at least they've been recognised.

Susan1

On my city's FB page, there is a guy whining about how if people have to stay home, they will get sicker without fresh air. What exactly is he not going to be able to do now? Leave his house, get in his car, go into a store or a bar, to get fresh air? It's November in Ohio. It's actually going be in the 60s today. Leave your house, get in your car, leave the windows down, go stand in a park, away from strangers. Big baby.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
It would require the decision to be approved by the legislature in a democratic vote rather than by a governor using executive order.
So we the people are essentially irrelevant to all this democracy and should take back control by doing pretty much nothing.
What is the harm of requiring people to present their evidence for evaluation and vote? It can happen quickly, but it must happen.
I think DeWine has been pretty good about presenting all of his evidence, which is certainly of better quality than that of some of the esteemed members of the state legislature.

And if you think that such a thing would happen quickly, well, you have an opinion.

Susan1

Since people are not going to read my whole Ohio briefing novel, here are some important things -

I didn't know why our numbers were not being updated. DeWine explained that Antigen tests have to be double checked. (Most states are not doing this.) There is a backlog of 12K received since Monday that have not been double checked. One of the reporters later said that if the antigen tests were added incorrectly, how do we know the other numbers are right. DeWine said he didn't explain it correctly, that most of them are positive and after double checking (by hand/phone calls) they are still positive, but they want to get them right. Another reporter said there aren't that many. A couple questions later, he got the numbers handed to him - 10K a day, used to be 5K. Another reporter asked if the backlog was because there weren't enough people to do the double checking. Well, duh.

Here's what some of the front line health care professionals said -

She's the one who was almost in tears (me too and I couldn't see to write):
"Russo recalled struggling to communicate with staff and patients through full suits of personal protective equipment. Patients who have dementia and c.v. often don’t understand why they are in the hospital, she said."

“I don’t know that I can articulate what it feels like for a nurse and for our ancillary staff members to have that barrier,” she added."

And in the briefing, she said older patients have trouble seeing and hearing through all the PPE and tubes and IVs

And quote from briefing - "We can manufacture equipment and supplies, but we can't manufacture staff members skilled enough to care for the large-scale influx of patients."

Article - "Russo, White and Herbert all shared stories of fear, stress and exhaustion from inside the healthcare system. Nurses are usually the only people allowed to be near a *********-19 patient when that person dies, White said."

Briefing quote - Bruce White, CEO for Knox Community Hospital - I work with amazingly dedicated people - every day they perform miracles, but they can't perform magic.

Ohio Medical Director, Dr. Bruce Vanderhoff - He said to remember that with everyone you are letting in your door, you are also letting in anyone they have been in contact with in the last two weeks.

DeWine said If you go to a store, you put a mask on, but if a friend comes over, you don't think they have it, so you don’t.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Wouldn't you imagine that some lab is already doing this as part of research?
yes of course. one of our main virologists, Ms Ciesek said that it is unlikely that the ***** was in Italy and that probably an unspecific test that reacts to several different c-oron-a-vi-rruses was responsible. As far as I understood her podcast, the paper is not yet peer-reviewed. (that might be wrong, however, I only listened with one ear while working)

PRlady

My mom woke up with labored breathing and low oxygen and is en route to same hospital as stepdad. ER promised to put them in same room if at all possible. The kind lady there said this is not the first request they have had for this which made me break down and cry.

mikey

...an acquired taste
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but it's damn funny. Who ever said that Germans don't have a sense of humor?

"The short video begins with an elderly man recalling his "service" to the nation in the winter of 2020, when he was 22 years old and wanted to "party, study, get to know people, go for drinks with friends." As dramatic music plays underneath the narrative, he recalls how "fate had different plans for us." "So we mustered all our courage and did what was expected of us, the only right thing. We did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Being as lazy as raccoons,'' he says in a serious tone. "Days and nights, we stayed on our asses at home and fought against the spread of the ********,'' he continues, as his younger self is seen slumped on a sofa eating junk food. The video ends with him saying, "Looking back, this was our fate…This is how we became heroes." A government message then reads: "You too can become a hero by staying at home.''"

Susan1

Parts of update from cousin -
"don't have the results yet for Travis, which likely means he is negative.

Mom and Tina and for the most part me, are very tired. The boys, no issues or further signs at this point.
For me, it's like a sinus cold. but hard to focus on anything long.
None of us has really had a fever, so that's good.
They did start mom on a steroid yesterday, I think that's about the only proactive thing they can do for her.

Any number of ways it could have entered the household, can't pinpoint one thing or another"

That is why contact tracing is such a crapshoot.

I warned him about the steroids making her feel too good. With all her lung problems, I'm sure she's been on them before, but not with the c.v. AND dementia. And with her caregivers sick too.

Geez - I just got a picture in my head of one of the Little House on the Prairie books where they all had malaria and couldn't take care of each other. Stop it stop it stop it. They have computers, cell phones, electricity and cars now, and next door neighbors. O.k. I'm back from crazytown.

She fell in the bathroom in the middle of the night a couple days before she got the scratchy throat, with Tim sitting outside the door. He caught her on the way down but she hit her head on the wall. They can't have her running all over the house feeling good from the steroids and not understanding what is wrong with her. I'm just venting here, not scaring Tim.

Just call me Dr. Steroid - reply from Tim:
"Ah ha - I just went upstairs (my office is downstairs and where I spend a considerable amount of time) and thought Mom looked good, alert, etc.

She's had her second Steroid treatment since yesterday... that explains it."

I have to ask if she's on pills and/or an inhaler.............

Susan1

On the same local newscast -

PRlady

My dad is being discharged to his facility’s medical center tonight; although extremely weak, he has no fever or respiratory symptoms. My mom was still in ER as of 2 hours ago, fever 101, oxygen only 92 with oxygen support, but not in miserable pain or gasping for breath. Once she’s admitted I can consider whether I can visit her from 10 feet away with PPE which apparently is an option.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
it sounds at any rate that they are better off in hospital than it home with no one coming in to care for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information