News & Experiences continued

Cachoo

I do wish a reporter would ask the Texas Lt Governor if he willing to die for his grandchildren, would he be willing to do something less drastic like help move Texas to more sustainable energy so his grandchildren will be able to survive in 50 years?
Or if his grandchildren can be saved by stricter gun laws....

Lorac

The UK government asked for 250,000 volunteers to help deliver medicines and food to the vulnerable, drive people to and from hospital or to just chat to those who are alone on the phone. 405,000 - including myself - have signed up to try to help. As long as I stay healthy and as I am currently furloughed from my part time job and my self employed work has vanished I want to do something to help.

mag

Just discovered that the green grocer, who also carries dairy and other dry goods, is offering an order by email, cc over the phone, pick up service. I think this is a great way for small shops to make it through this. Apparently the local meat shop is offering the same. If anyone has these smaller shops in the neighborhood it might be worth giving them a call to see if they offer this service.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Just discovered that the green grocer, who also carries dairy and other dry goods, is offering an order by email, cc over the phone, pick up service. I think this is a great way for small shops to make it through this. Apparently the local meat shop is offering the same. If anyone has these smaller shops in the neighborhood it might be worth giving them a call to see if they offer this service.
Ours just announced their program. For me, that means no need to go to a big store until we are out of protein.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
I know one thing. I've been staying home for quite some time because I can't really go too many places. That includes not being able to visit several of my friends like I used to. You see, it's almost impossible to go up a flight of stairs using a walker, and most of my friends have steps with no rails. They also don't have a handicap ramp. Most of my close friends live out of town, too. Instead, we keep up with each other on Facebook. I guess that's pretty safe.

The only places I do go to is to Dollar General or the grocery store and come straight home. I made it a practice to wash my hands after I had NF in 2011. I've always washed my hands when I get home before I do anything else. I also wash the handles on my walker, and wash the hand rims on the wheels of my wheelchair. I also never touch my face until I've washed my hands after going to the stores. Money is one of the dirtiest things we handle and touch. I've always wiped off my bank cards and credit cards, too, when I get home.

These people that think it's okay to go out, get close to each other, touch each other, etc. etc. etc. might not even think that way if they were handicapped or disabled. One reason is that they wouldn't be able to go to the beach during spring break or go dancing in a club. Their whole lives would change like mine did, and they wouldn't actually have a choice especially if they had to use a walker or wheelchair. To me, that's actually an advantage I have because I play it safe the majority of the time by being at my home.

Susan1

Caveat - the number for Montgomery county says 10 as of 7:00 last night. During the briefing at 4 p.m. yesterday, they said 13. And the Ohio numbers are what they were at yesterday's 2:00 briefing. The doctor said they are gathering data right until they go on air, so that's the only update there is every day. And those numbers could be a week behind because testing does not come back for 4-7 days. Nice idea though.

PRlady

First off, companies should be able to last more than a week. You realize that is how long it has been, right? One week. And it is not even a shut down (other than the states that have taken it into their own hands.) The number of times I have heard very privileged Republican politicians and pundits lecture the masses about all these people who are out to rip off the system and want welfare when they can work. They tell us about single mothers who just need to learn to manage their money better while making $12.00 and hour. Perhaps some of these companies need to learn to manage their money better? Maybe they should have put something away for a rainy day?

You also realize there is no choice to be made. This ***** doesn’t care about your bank account or the stock market. You can short term pain or long term pain; those are the options.

Shut the country down except for essential services. Ban all domestic travel both air and land. Do it for four weeks at a minimum. Pay everyone with a net worth less than X or an annual income less than X enough to survive on and guarantee those payments for the next three months. The market will decide which companies survive and which don’t - capitalism at work for you. If it is done now you might, just might get the short term pain option. Wait another week and the only thing left is long term pain.

I find it fascinating that almost every other country represented on this board seems to realize this is the way it is. The US is not an exception. It will, unfortunately soon have the honour of “winning” the race for the most cases per capita. That is not a win I would wish on anyone.

ETA: I realize many in the US do not want to put the economy before lives and totally get that a shut down is necessary. Damn this is all so awful and frustrating.
I would like this post ten times. So many businesses were sitting on huge cash reserves they used to buy back their own stock, thanks to Trump’s tax giveaway. Responsible people are supposed to have enough savings to live for six months, don’t tell me modern corporations can’t do that too. But no, the first reflex is to fire people.

NGOs like my husband’s and the one I just interviewed with are doing everything they can to keep their people employed because they know that’s what they’ve got.

The US could turn out to be the worst case of all in terms of illness and mortality: https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/status/1242798008170938369?s=21

There’s no excuse for sacrificing tens of thousands of people so the one percent can get their stock options back to sky-high value. And don’t get me started on the airlines who have been cramming us in and charging for a glass of water for years.

Last edited:

overedge

G.O.A.T.
The local store where I buy bird seed is taking orders by phone and delivering. I agree with @mag - look at the websites of the small local businesses where you usually shop, or phone them. Most are being very creative in offering alternate ways to serve you.

Also, for the Canadians! Girl Guide cookies are on sale now, but the Guides, Brownies and Sparks can't sell them in the usual ways, like door-to-door or at a table in the mall. If you call or email your provincial Girl Guides office, they can give you the contact info for a troop in your area, and you can arrange a purchase that way. Here's the list of provincial offices:

The toy store I work at (when I’m not on mat leave) has been doing a very brisk business just with delivery and curb side pick up. Birthdays still happen and people are buying lots of puzzles and games and Easter is coming up too. The store is actually doing better than it typically does this time of year. Which is good, we can keep almost all of our staff working.

Susan1

Ohio - not much new:
The governor's wife talked about recipes on her website and how you could substitute things if you couldn't find them in the store, and crafts you can do with your kids (are craft stores essential if you don't have stuff around the house?).

704 confirmed; 182 hospitalized; 75 in ICU; 116 health care workers (numbers were from 11 a.m. today) she said the counties, but reminded us that is where they were tested not where they live

70% are over 40. She pointed to bar charts with age ranges and pie charts with other stuff off to the side that I couldn’t read because of the glare

<1 to 94 (she said the 95 was wrong)

10 deaths

total tested 14,764 - approx. 5% positive (can’t know because tests aren’t in)

they test for regular flu and RSV first

400,000 people have been to the unemployment website, lots of complaints about technical problems (duh)

Reporter said that Ohio’s public health care budget was cut by 4% this year, before this happened.

Absentee voting is till April 28
Question to Lt. Gov. - he said he would prefer a longer time, but the legislature decided it.

Funny, every time (always in the last 40 years) when they say this is so and so from WCPO in Cincinnati, I hear the WKRP in Cincinnati song.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UD's test site cut their hours. I wonder if it's from shortage of tests.

Susan1

part 2 - Montgomery County is having the same people talk again, but the numbers at the top are 14 cases - 7 male, 7 female, 2 hospitalized.
I forgot from before 55 counties out of 88 (always remembered that cause it's the same # as piano keys)
And the Lt. Gov. said that once this is over companies are still going to have to continue having the safe work environment.
So, I went to the Ohio CDC website - I'll do recognizable cities instead of counties - 206 in the Cleveland area, plus clusters in the surrounding counties, 88 around Columbus and 48 around Cincinnati.
400,000 people have been to the unemployment website
Uh, that was JUST yesterday.

Cachoo

I'm at 211 and locally we are screening for the health department and transferring folks to their line to set them up for a test. What gets to me is the fear and the great love that callers have who are calling for their loved ones. They try to remain brave but the fear of losing someone easily eclipses the fear they have for themselves. It is heartbreaking and yet where would we be without love?

skatingguy

Golden Team
Italian intensive care nurse reportedly commits suicide amid ******** crisis

A 34-year-old nurse working in the intensive care unit at an Italian hospital committed suicide on Tuesday, Italian news agency ANSA reported. The nurse worked at the San Gerardo Hospital in the city of Monza, near Milan, one of the areas most affected by the ******** outbreak.

The woman had contracted the ******** and “had been living with heavy stress out of the fear of having infected others,” according to the national nurses’ guilds’ federation, the news agency reported.

On Wednesday, an Italian workers’ union said that more than 5,000 health-care workers have contracted ******** since the outbreak began, ANSA reported. About 6,800 people have died of *********-19 in Italy, more than anywhere else in the world.

By Siobhán O'Grady

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Italian intensive care nurse reportedly commits suicide amid ******** crisis

A 34-year-old nurse working in the intensive care unit at an Italian hospital committed suicide on Tuesday, Italian news agency ANSA reported. The nurse worked at the San Gerardo Hospital in the city of Monza, near Milan, one of the areas most affected by the ******** outbreak.

The woman had contracted the ******** and “had been living with heavy stress out of the fear of having infected others,” according to the national nurses’ guilds’ federation, the news agency reported.

On Wednesday, an Italian workers’ union said that more than 5,000 health-care workers have contracted ******** since the outbreak began, ANSA reported. About 6,800 people have died of *********-19 in Italy, more than anywhere else in the world.

By Siobhán O'Grady
This damn thing is going to have collateral damage. Locally the Samaritans are seeing a big increase in calls to their suicide hotline from people are shut in and alone.

When this thing is all over, the toll will be staggering....

Last edited:

Dave of the North

It's hard to keep up, things are changing so fast.

Testing for the antibodies would indicate if you have had *********-19 (presumably at low risk of reinfection)

Antibody tests

Not for the general public yet...

This is the same idea that @rosewood posted about earlier (it feels like sometime last century, but I'm sure it was only a couple of days ago).

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
I can't remember where it was asked but the reason they are testing sick people and not just assuming they all have *********-19 is that, if someone has bronchitis (for example), it's a different treatment. So you need to rule *********-19 out.

But this was probably asked somewhere else

beepbeep

Krud Karen
Another world leader joins the coronamoron club. It now has two members - Donald Trump and Jair Bolsonaro
He never joined. He’s one of its founding members. And the most extreme.

His speech yesterday made my blood absolutely boil.
Fortunately, it also made mostly everyone else’s blood boil too: state governors and mayors are keeping the restrictions.

Also, he most likely caught the bug who shall not be named from Trump’s people and just keeps denying.

mag

Buried in this press briefing is some interesting information. At 22:35 she talks about the fact that chances that asymptomatic people are spreading the ***** is very low. Bonnie Hendry, the head of public health here in BC has been very upfront and forthcoming during her press briefings. I have no reason not to believe what she says. I know there is a huge push to test everyone, but even under the best of circumstances that is probably not the best use of resources. At about the 28:00 minute mark she gives a really good summary of sound public health practices around contact tracing that is really worth listening to.

I am cynical enough to wonder if this whole hysteria over asymptomatic people is really being used as an excuse for why so many people are being infected in some places. Sort of a “well we couldn’t help it they didn’t have symptoms.” When really what is wrong is that public health officials did not have the proper support to be doing robust contact tracing back in January and February.

ETA I encourage everyone to listen to the answer to the last question (somewhere around 41:30) it really underscores the complex nature of public health.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Neither link works. TinyUrl.com, people. TinyUrl.com :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 17)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information