News & Experiences continued

canbelto

Some depressing stats:

Nearly 80,000 new cases.

Over 1000 deaths today for the first time in awhile.

Huge spikes in deaths across the midwest and plains.

States that had really crushed the curve like NY and NJ are seeing cases and hospitalizations creeping up again.

Really no good news across 50 states. Every state is trending in the wrong direction.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
We're a large country, with the major population centres far apart. It means different areas can have different levels of restriction based on their needs, without it being a confusing patchwork a la the varying decisions of the Swiss cantons. WA is pretty much restriction-free but maintaining a hard border with the rest of the country, SA/TAS/QLD/NT have low levels of restrictions and semi-permeable borders, NSW has slightly higher, VIC has the highest level and I'm not sure where the ACT stands right at the moment, but probably in line with NSW given their geographical situation.
I think ACT has slightly lower levels of restrictions than NSW at the moment. One of the big problems ACT had when things were getting weird was the number of selfish fcuking Sydneysiders who went "oh, we're not allowed to fly to Melbourne/Brisbane/Adelaide from Sydney? Guess we'll just drive on down to Canberra and fly from there then!" Because of the way the ACT and the region of NSW surrounding it are interlocked, closing the ACT border is nigh-impossible.

Just came back from getting a test myself. It's a highly unpleasant experience. But it was very nice to be able to just drive down the road to the drive-through centre, get in line, spend about 15 minutes waiting and getting tested, and then driving home to get my results in 1-3 days (but probably tomorrow), all without needing to pay. In the meantime, it's hermit fun times!

million$momma

But nobody is ENFORCING the mask requirements, even when they are mandatory.
Mask wearing is 99.9% complied with in my city and surrounding area. I work in a 400+ student elementary school and every single kids complies with wearing their mask all day long with very few prompts. I'm not sure why grown ups in other countries struggle so much...

Last edited:

skatfan

Who besides Trump and his cohort are saying that? Aren't most states still implementing restrictions and requiring masks?
Arizona never has required masks statewide, and neither my county or city requires them. Many big box stores are requiring them.

Dobre

A 10th lawmaker in Arkansas has tested positive as well as the Surgeon General.

In Nebraska, a candidate for a congressional seat tested positive.

In Iowa, democratic senate candidate, Theresa Greenfield, had to pause activities after some of her staff members were exposed to a person that tested positive.

cholla

High ground loner
Time for comfort food?
Don't tempt me... We've met, you know I don't need to get more weight :lol:

That reminds me... I have to go grocery shopping today. Bad timing!! It's going to be a war zone. But I have no choice as my fridge and pantry are empty.

Orm Irian

That reminds me... I have to go grocery shopping today. Bad timing!! It's going to be a war zone. But I have no choice as my fridge and pantry are empty.
My fingers are even more crossed for you now!

ETA: Well, this adds an unhelpful wrinkle to the northern hemisphere situation...fingers crossed this new lurgi variant, like the previous ones, doesn't involve mutations to the spike protein that would render much of the vaccine development done to date less useful.

Last edited:

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
This is probably the best explainer I have seen of how YKW is transmitted indoors.

Dobre

Malheur County, on the Oregon side of the Idaho border:
1 out of 16 people in Malheur County have tested positive for *********-19

https://www.oregonlive.com/digitalsubscription/exclusive
A nurse practitioner took all the precautions, but died from *********-19, leaving behind a husband and 2 small children

mikey

...an acquired taste
Germany's new rules:

New restrictions for the next month​

• Restaurants and bars will close, except for take-away
  • Large events will be canceled again
  • Unnecessary travel is strongly discouraged
  • Overnight stays in hotels for tourist purposes is banned
  • All those who can work from home should do so and employers should ease a transition into working from home
  • Meetings in public will be restricted to just two households of up to 10 people total.
  • Entertainment facilities such as theaters and cinemas will be closed
  • Public recreation centers such as swimming pools, gyms and saunas will be closed
  • No crowds at sports events

What is allowed​

• Schools and kindergartens will remain open
  • Church services and protests will be allowed to continue due to constitutional concerns
  • Nursing home residents will be allowed to receive visitors
  • Shops will remain open, with one customer allowed per 10 square meters (108 square feet)
  • Borders remain open
I'm not convinced it's going to make much of a difference at this point.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
I received an email this morning from Medicare regarding Fraud alerts concerning the Beer Burden. It's becoming more common, and the scams are on the increase. Medicare regularly sends me emails whenever they update their Fraud Alert page. It's information that's important to be aware of especially if anyone here or a family member has Medicare.

Fraud Alert: CV-19 Scams

In one fraud scheme, some medical labs are targeting retirement communities claiming to offer CV-19 tests, but actually drawing blood and billing federal health care programs for medically unnecessary services.

In another scheme, fraudsters are offering people a $200 Medicare card when no such cards currently exist.

Fraudsters are targeting beneficiaries in a number of ways, including telemarketing calls, text messages, social media platforms, and door-to-door visits.

These scammers use the CV-19 ********* to benefit themselves, and beneficiaries face potential harms. The personal information collected can be used to fraudulently bill Federal health care programs and commit medical identity theft. If Medicare or Medicaid denies the claim for an unapproved test, the beneficiary could be responsible for the cost.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
For anyone who needs to hear it, churches are huge vectors for YKW.

Susan1

They've had people on the local news from Clark county whining about what's going to happen if we turn purple. It's like if we turn purple, we'll have to do something. That would be the things you were supposed to be doing all along. So, this just came out. \/ They can stop worrying and still not wear masks and go ahead and have Halloween parties now, I guess.

canbelto

So Florida has taken Trump's directive to "slow the testing down please."

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Some evidence that low Vitamin D levels make people susceptible to c*vid:

(Interesting in light of lockdown strategies.) But, lockdown or not, it may be a good idea to take some Vitamin D pills.

Lockdown doesn't mean you're stuck in a tower like Rapunzel. Gov. Cuomo was forever encouraging people to take walks or go on hikes. He even (oh the humanity) said he hiked without wearing a mask, since there was no one around to infect (presumably because everyone else thought lockdown meant being stuck in a tower like Rapunzel).

What kept me from enjoying beautiful Vitamin D laden sunshiny days was the dreary dreadful March/April weather we were stuck with. But even so, I met my friend Bookseller weekly from No Worlds in March through October for a stroll in the Orange County (NY) Arboretum.

When the sun was out, so was I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information