News & Experiences continued

Dobre

Nevada turned red on the NPR map today.

Alaska had 526 cases Sunday.:yikes:

(The article I read says that may include a backlog because numbers have been so high this week. Either way, not good).

Almost half of South Dakota's inmates have tested positive for *********-19

Indiana: State reports more than 5,000 cases of *********-19 in schools

This is an undercount as reporting is not mandatory in Indiana schools, and 490 schools have not reported in--including Indianapolis Public Schools.

Wisconsin: Milwaukee reverses order, issues new restrictions to limit ***** spread

NM hospital officials warn of 'catastrophic' consequences if *********-19 continues to rapidly spread​

7th Arkansas lawmaker tests positive for ********​

Kentucky: Gov. Beshear announces red zone county recommendations; 5.84% positivity rate
"The state is releasing recommendations for when a county hits the red zone. Those recommendations include having employers allowing employees to work from home when possible, non-critical governmental offices operate virtually, reduce in-person shopping and order online or curbside pickup, order take-out and avoid dining in, avoid non-essential activities outside your home and more. Again, those recommendations are for counties that are in the red zone."

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
99.97% of people under age 50 survive *********. This is absolutely about protecting older people at the expense of younger people, who have no choice in the matter. If we’re going to do it, we ought to at least correct for it.

Italy is literally rioting (on day 3 now) over the latest restrictions:

In addition to this article, I’m watching Milan and Turin getting smashed to pieces on the news right now, with protesters getting tear gassed.... So, no, I do not think many to most young people (and some older people) are a fan of these restrictions. I think they’re rightfully more afraid to die from poverty than c*vid.

This is terrifying and insane - lockdown is not the answer. 100 people per day are dying in a country of 60+ million. Imploding the economy and condemning probably 5-10 million of those people to years of poverty is a completely disproportionate response.
Let’s be honest here - you are not concerned about young people or their mental health. You are concerned about yourself. Be truthful and say you find it acceptable that people will die who need not do so just so you can go on with your life as it was pre-YKW.

And funnily enough that you brought up mental health, I’m sure* you will be interested in the mental health of healthcare workers who had to deal with the overwhelming amount of cases of YKW in the first wave as detailed in this BBC article.

*Sarcasm

Louis

Private citizen
Let's be honest: those who are pro-lockdown only care about themselves.

"I like working from home, so f*ck everyone else."
Older people with pensions, "I've got mine; f*ck you and yours."
Hypochondriacs, "I don't want an infinitesimally smaller risk of getting sick, so f*ck what you want - you can go bankrupt, lose your business, etc."

The lack of empathy from those who preach empathy is galling.

Wear a mask. Distance. Shield the vulnerable. But do not accept another lockdown. I stand with the protestors. Do not allow the government to destroy your life and livelihood, at least not without heavy compensation.

Let's make real tradeoffs -- e.g., 90% inheritance tax for the next 10 years; 20% excess tax on "work from home elites" (including me) -- and then see how much people still want lockdown. No more lockdowns without a democratic mandate, and a way to fund them.

Susan1

I must have forgotten to hit post reply yesterday cause this was still sitting here -
A bad Monday -

Cases - 200,231 / 24 hour reported - 2,116 / 7 day average - 1,917

Hospitalizations - 18,235 / 140 / 111
c.v. patients in hospital - 1,406 / ICU - 408 (8.94% of beds) / on vent - 216

ICU - 3,751 / 37 / 20

Deaths - 5,217 / 11 / 14 (only 3 counties have not had a death)

10/24 7 day moving positivity 5.5%

flyingsit

Well, what about the people who refuse to wear masks or abide by social distancing? If they are carriers, they are spreading it rampantly and putting many many others at risk — should they be penalized? How?

Louis

Private citizen
Well, what about the people who refuse to wear masks or abide by social distancing? If they are carriers, they are spreading it rampantly and putting many many others at risk — should they be penalized? How?

Yes, with escalating fines. They already are in many/most(?) places.

Orm Irian

Watching Switzerland's daily case numbers explode over the past three to four weeks, I've been wondering what on earth could have triggered such a rapid exponential increase when it took more like three months for them to get from 50 to 500 cases a day, especially as they also lagged a bit behind the increases in case numbers in France and Germany.

Well. Apparently it was this, and probably other events like it too. How stupid, callous and frankly selfish can you get?

I hope the cantonal authorities do press charges. 'Depraved indifference to life' sounds like a good place to start for this lot.

Japanfan

@allezfred and @Louis

I have nothing to contribute to your exchange of ideas.

Except this: I don't want to get this thing! I am in a relatively high risk population and I am scared. I do live in a relatively safe North American corner of the world, but nonetheless, I am scared, given the rising numbers in my area.

Winter is coming. Those of us who are lucky/maybe those who take care will stay healthy and alive, though there may be some bumps along the way.

It's gone beyond an intellectual discussion what with the current rise of second wave cases.

My POV is that you don't have the *****, just be grateful and keep yourself safe. And safe from others, should you be possibly infected but showing no symptoms.

Miezekatze

Watching Switzerland's daily case numbers explode over the past three to four weeks, I've been wondering what on earth could have triggered such a rapid exponential increase when it took more like three months for them to get from 50 to 500 cases a day, especially as they also lagged a bit behind the increases in case numbers in France and Germany.

Well. Apparently it was this, and probably other events like it too. How stupid, callous and frankly selfish can you get?

I hope the cantonal authorities do press charges. 'Depraved indifference to life' sounds like a good place to start for this lot.
Apart from this incredible example of irresponsibility...

They also really allowed an awful lot of "not very good idea during a *********" events.

Like nightclubs, discotheques were open up to 300 people, till end of September.

Like indoor concerts up to several hundreds people without distancing , like they had a musical with 600 people, where all the singers were yodeling and infected parts of the audience :shuffle: Their concept for the indoor concerts in general wasn't to have everybody sitting in distanced small groups like most other countires do, but partly it was allowed to just make groups of 300 people, that needed to be seperated.

Then there just recently was a river cruise ship with 90 people on it and one singer (also traditional "Swiss country music" with yodeling), everybody together on the ship for several days with a "hygiene concept", the result was that 69 old people AND the singer and her boyfriend were infected.

I'd say they were a tad too optimistic.

All those yodeling superspreading events make me wonder if yodeling is even worse than singing or if the Swiss really yodel THAT much :rofl:

I think cultural events are rather safe when they are outdoors and/or the audience is spaced ou twith social distancing and the people on stage are also distancing. The Swiss model obviously didn't work well.

canbelto

So Russia today implemented a mask mandate after setting record highs in both cases and deaths.

Miezekatze

Their weekly increase is similar to Germany, so it seems herd immunity hasn't exactly set in there more than here :shuffle:

The Swedish public health agency already told residents in the northern Uppsala region last week to avoid public transport and not to meet people outside their household for a period of two weeks.

The same advice has now been issued in the southernmost Scania region, but for a period of three weeks.

Halth officials also said people should avoid meetings and cultural events, and to stay clear of indoor spaces such as shops, museums, libraries and gyms.

Btw if the Swedes follow those "recommendation" voluntarily, it will have the same effect on shops, theaters, restaurants, gyms and museums as a temporary lockdown.

The only solution to this are financial aides from the government (which obviously will cause everybody to lose/pay tons of money later, the whole state, all tax payers, but there's no other solution).

I feel for the Italian people, because they have practically no social security system and also I read there are practically no aides for suffering industries there. So I can understand that people riot there. My friend who lived in Southern Italy says if you can't earn money there, you get food stamps and move back in with your parents and that's it.
obviously that's not directly caused by lockdowns.

Here there's obviously problems with financial aides too, but there are ones for people who do jobs that are related to culture and similar sectors, it's at least not "nothing" like in Italy. Also we have "short-time work", unemployment benefits, ....The situation of countries like Italy who were already heavily in debt pre-********* is definitely very bad!

Susan1

So I don't have to write all this stuff down during the press conference -

Points from his press release:
$419.5 million in CARES Act funding

$125 million in CARES Act funding to provide grants to small businesses with no more than 25 employee; including mortgage or rent payments; utility payments; salaries, wages, or compensation for employees and contractors; business supplies or equipment; and other costs -11/2/2020.

$50 million to 47 Community Action Agencies to provide rent, mortgage, and water and/or sewer assistance to Ohioans; outstanding balances back to April 1, 2020.

Ohioans behind on their bills with an annual income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, starting November 2, 2020, through their local Community Action Agency.

$37.5 million for the Bar and Restaurant Assistance Fund; on-premise consumption permit will be eligible to receive $2,500 per unique business location, as of close of business October 23, 2020, starting November 2.

$62 million, including various safety measures, and the purchase of critical PPE for first responders.

“We are seeing a record-breaking number of hospitalizations throughout Ohio,” (this I don't understand - Yes, the number of patients keeps going up - 1,406 as of 10/26, but that is only 5.17 of total bed capacity. 63.05% are non-c.v. patients)

$100 million for higher education, including expanding testing for students, faculty, and staff, and mental health services.

$25 million for nonprofits, and $20 million to support Ohio’s world-class arts organizations.

To date, more than $2.1 billion ******** Relief Funds have been distributed to local governments, childcare, PPE, broadband access, and other critical areas in need of financial assistance.

MsZem

Meanwhile in Israel...
More countries are going to have to lock down. I'm sorry, but some are worse off than where we were when we went to the second lockdown! Closing restaurants at night is not going to cut it.

Prancer

Professional Spuddler
Staff member
You need to wake up to the truth about the *****. How did Fauci know 4 years ago that there was gonna be a ********* during Trump's time in office?

My question was more, why this particular book? What makes it more truthful than, say, a whole lot of other sources?

Every epidemiologist has been predicting a ********* for a couple of decades now and asking governments to prepare. This is why George Bush wrote a ********* plan. It's why Barack Obama said that he lost more sleep over the possibility of a ********* than over war. It's why Bill Gates gave a TED Talk that now has people asking how he knew a ********* was coming and think it must mean he planned it all.

Major pandemics come along roughly every 100 years. We were due. There were and still are a number of things in the world that make pandemics likely to develop. I've been reading about this for years. If I am going to devote my time to reading another book on the subject, I need a better reason than a post telling me to do it. What makes this book worth my time? And telling me that it's the truth isn't persuasive, as that's always the stance of conspiracy theorists.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
What to have in the house in case of a lockdown.

"Any winter season can bring storms, power outages, delays in shipping of critical items to local or from online stores so knowing that you have all the provisions you need to manage these potential events is critical," said Susan L. Polan, the associate executive director of public affairs and advocacy at the American Public Health Association, via email.

"*********-19 surges and the flu can make trying to buy supplies harder — or riskier, if you or your family members are sick. You are going to want to do everything to make sure you and your loved ones are safe."

Jenny

From the Bloc
Went to visit my mother today, at her old house that is being renovated/cleared out for sale. Arrived to find a ton of cars, and soon realized that with her inside the house were one person from her household and three most definitely not. All were wearing masks thankfully but that's more people than we've seen at once in months. We're standing outside in the rain as my mother finds a chair so she can sit in the doorway and visit with us.

One of the people - a friend of hers apparently - says she'll get out of the way so we can come inside and visit. We say not necessary as we will stay out here. She responds with a look of surprise and clear disapproval and says "but why?" My husband informs her that we live in a high risk area and have not been tested so would keep our distance outside. The look on her face, I started to understand why fist fights are breaking out over things like this.

WHY can't people respect other people's decisions, particularly when it has absolutely no bearing on them? And whoTF are you anyway to judge when all I'm doing is being cautious?

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Sorry if I missed this, but the BC provincial health officer has banned all gatherings in private homes that are larger than six people, not including immediate family. This is because of the breakouts that have been traced to funerals, weddings, cultural events, and so on.

I can imagine that this is going to lead to some creative definitions of "immediate family"....

Susan1

Press conference -
Ended at 3 p.m.

Did the Cares Act funding thing. Thanked the Controlling Board for approving.

Voting - Frank LaRose, Secretary of State (I'll put this on the Voting in your state page) -

Record Breaking - 8M registered voters; back in March had a Ready for November Taskforce; 150K poll workers; absentee voting double; early voting triple; 61 point safety check list for election day; corporations donated PPE. 3.2M absentee ballot requests, (1.6M in 2016), 1.5M have been returned. Said "what are you waiting for". Should report disinformation and voter intimidation to your local board. Two "bad guys" in Cleveland are in court for voter intimidation. On election night, the count is unofficial so far. They have 10 days to count anything postmarked that Monday. Will report on outstanding ballots.

Cases - 202,740 / 24 hour reported - 2,509 / 7 day average - 1,973
Hospitalizations - 18,433 / 198 / 117 (second highest)
ICU - 3,771 / 20 / 19
Deaths - 5,239 / 22 / 14

82 out of 88 counties have reached High Incidence per 100K.
Top 20 - Holy Crap -
Putnam - 868.3
Auglaize - 538.8
Mercer - 478.5
Next 10 over 300

A person put this tweet under all of DeWine's -
"This tweet was written by someone who welcomed in anti-maskers and refused to be critical of large gatherings without proper social distancing. You are a hypocrite, Governor, for not speaking out about the Trump rallies."

But here's another idiot. How many times does he have to be told high incidence is only one of the SEVEN indicators.
"So you're saying hamilton is "approaching purple status", but not on the "top 20" of counties. Makes complete sense "
Don't tweet if you don't know what you are talking about.

Hospital chart from 4/6 to now. I'll have to see if it's accessible on the dashboard to click on the graph, but it's the one that looks like The Racer at Kings Island. Down June 21, back up to a spike about 8/3, almost as far down 9/21, then a steady climb back up till the highest now.

"All areas of the state are seeing increases in the number of c.v. patients being treated in hospitals, in Intensive Care Units and on ventilators. Hospitalized c.v. positive patients are at an all-time high."

Chart with big circle with things people are doing wrong - arrows to Nursing homes, K-12 Schools, Hospitals. "As you can see, this ***** is everywhere, and it is spreading. This community spread endangers our schools, our nursing homes, and our hospitals."

"In the words of two great Ohio state coaches: “We do need to stick to our game plan, because we know it works….Ohio, when we stick together, we always win.” This is a game we must win. To do that, we must get back to basics.

"1. Wear a mask when you are out in public, when you go to a store, and when you are with friends. 2. Keep your distance. 3. Wash your hands often. 4. Keep your building well-ventilated.

"-Reconsider hosting or attending gatherings of any size. -Cancel events -don’t go to Halloween parties. -Wear masks inside and outside when you cannot social distance. - Stay home if you are not well.

"Because our problem is community spread, I'm asking leaders in each of our counties to come together to inventory where they are in this battle. I will be starting (zoom) meetings with the counties to discuss how we can work together to beat this *****. Our goal will be to bring people together to learn what we can do to help the community, and for the community to chart a course to safely get them through this winter."

(He can have all the conversations he wants. The trumpers are not going to listen to anybody. He's too calm and has to keep repeating the same stuff all the time. Grow a pair. Get mad. DO Something.)

He mentioned mayors and superintendents and faith leaders. He also said - cooperate with health officials.

Businesses have done a good job keeping employees safe. They should let people work from home, if possible, communicate to employees about wearing masks when they are not at their place of business.

Husted said people need to take ownership. And he thinks people will rally around the cause. (HA - where has he been. It's been over 6 months and getting worse. The same jerks still feel the same way, unless they end up on a ventilator.)

Questions (no Jack today!) -
WCMH, Columbus - trump talking about fake news talking about c.v. all the time - "Who should we be listening to?" OMG. DeWine - Ohio is heading in the wrong direction. Commends the president for money to develop vaccines. (??) It will take awhile. We gotta get tough the next few months.

WBMS, Columbus - will there be a shut down again? DeWine - We did it before but the consequences are not good; fight the battle. If we don't, things will shut down again (and there was a big long thing, but in my own words - if there is more spread, people will be afraid to go out, people who work places will get sick and can't work, places will have to go out of business without workers or customers). Husted - businesses have done what they can; personal responsibility.

Xenia Daily Gazette - winter sports (wrestling, basketball) inside? DeWine said a superintendent said they wanted to postpone all winter sports.

Bloomberg - said what Dr. Acton's projections were back then. (And that was without the mitigation we put in place, geez.) But we are over that. (So, finally somebody's not saying she was erroneously predicting doom and gloom?) What are the new projections? DeWine will talk to people who do the modeling at universities. One of their criteria is how many people are wearing masks. That is fundamentally important and will change the outcome.

WOIO, Cleveland - herd immunity? Is the case count higher now because we closed early? (huh? Me - it went down. People stopped taking enough precautions.) DeWine - no reputable scientist thinks we could get to herd immunity without the vaccine. We know more than we did in March.

Andy Chow, PBS - in May, legislators wanted to rule county by county. It was the whole state before, now the game plan is county by county? Are you going to shut down county by county? (The sound went out for a few seconds, but he was saying…) he's not taking anything off the table. The state is a whole legally. If you make rules for bars in one place you have to use the same rule in all counties. Now communities have to work at a higher level. Earlier it was urban areas. Not it is spreading no matter where you are. He's not shirking state responsibility. (Like the president is shirking national responsibility?)

WSYX, Columbus - Big 10. In Columbus, they are worried about house parties. Could they make them night games? (??) Show them on cable? (Not sure about the logic in this. OSU was on Saturday afternoon here on our local station. Are people not going to go to bars because the game is on at night? Ever hear of Monday and now Thursday night football? But, the reason they don't televise some games in a home area is because it cuts back on ticket sales, which is not a problem now.) DeWine - athletes are safer than the average student. People gathering to watch the game are at risk. (duh)

Hannah News - you greeted the president when he was in Circleville. Isn't that a tacit endorsement of (his being a moron). How do you justify that? DeWine - it's important to have a relationship with the president of the United States. (He said he didn't go to the rally - so there!) Said again how he has made it clear that gatherings are a mistake. People should wear masks. Continues to endorse the president. (I yelled "why?".)

Laura Bischoff, DDN - Why aren't the three counties with the highest incidence not purple. (Oh, Laura, I know the Dayton Daily News is full of typos, bad grammar, incorrect information, but it's not Thursday, dummy.) DeWine - he gets the data on Wednesday and reports on Thursday.

Columbus Dispatch - can't you lower the capacity at bars and stores? The outliers have to do what they should be doing. The big spread is in people's personal lives. (Well, duh, that might kind of sort of be from going to bars and stores, ya think? Or they have it and spread it at bars and stores.) We don't want to have a shutdown.

WEWS, Cleveland - worried about Cleveland on the watch list. DeWine - it has to be on the watch list 2 weeks before it's Purple. (Put your ears on, lady.) Worried about the potential strain on hospitals.

Cinc. Enquirer - can't you limit the size of political events? (Not if I want trump to give us money.) Um, he said he asked them to wear masks. It's better to hold something outside. (Even if all those "outside people" are standing shoulder to shoulder and yelling? I don't think so.) When there was an event in Youngstown (that would be the moron), he called the radio station that morning and asked his moron supporters to wear a mask and social distance. (morons are not good at following requests, are they?)

Spectrum News - OMG - he repeated DeWine's whole quote earlier and said he said we were going to have another shutdown. (Are they really that stupid?) DeWine said schools are already going from in person to remote because of outbreaks and spread. People from the community go in and out of nursing homes, which is endangering the residents. Hospitals could decide not to do elective surgeries again.

Somebody from Cincinnati (I was yelling at the Spectrum News guy and missed it!) - when you talk to Hamilton county, what do you want to happen? (PEOPLE TO WEAR MASKS?) Who will you talk to? (I hope this lady isn't reporting on it!) County commissioners and executives, about 10 people. It will be an exchange of information and resources, more formal communication. (Yeah, let us know how that works out in the rural counties.)

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Sorry if I missed this, but the BC provincial health officer has banned all gatherings in private homes that are larger than six people, not including immediate family. This is because of the breakouts that have been traced to funerals, weddings, cultural events, and so on.

I can imagine that this is going to lead to some creative definitions of "immediate family"....
It’s insane though. Schools are still in session, yet we can’t have more than 6 people to our house. Hmm

overedge

G.O.A.T.
It’s insane though. Schools are still in session, yet we can’t have more than 6 people to our house. Hmm
It's not insane if it helps control the v*r*s. It doesn't solve the problem in schools, but it solves the problem of another type of gathering where the v*r*s is being spread.

But schools haven't been a major source of transmission. Family gatherings have. I'm guessing because it's way harder to stay distanced with family/friends. You let your guard down at home. I'd way rather just crack down on where there's problems.

Lemonade20

We do have outbreaks at schools, at least six schools have reported a positive case. High school kids don’t wear masks when they are out for lunch, and they travel around in groups. That’s why I’m concerned.

ballettmaus

Let's be honest: those who are pro-lockdown only care about themselves.

Is there anyone who is still for broad and complete lockdowns?

"I like working from home, so f*ck everyone else."

While I'm not for broad and complete lockdowns, I'm not for opening everything up and pretend we can go about our business normally. But I also can't work from home.

I just don't want more people than necessary to die and the healthcare system to get overwhelmed. Utah is at a point where they're starting to put plans together about who might receive hospital care and who might not.

I don't think it's a question of opening up everything or keeping everything shut down. It's a question of opening responsibily and with competent leadership and proper guidelines. (One example, I'm not aware of any outbreaks related to Disney World. We know of outbreaks related to Trump rallies, we know the risks of dining in, so I would assume we'd know about outbreaks related to Disney World. Since we don't, I'm assuming what they're doing works, so I have no issue with Disney World being open and under those circumstances, I think Disneyland should have considered easing into opening as well. There is no reason California couldn't have asked Disneyland for tighter restrictions than they have in Florida but it would likely have kept more employees employed).

Lemonade20

Is there anyone who is still for broad and complete lockdowns?

While I'm not for broad and complete lockdowns, I'm not for opening everything up and pretend we can go about our business normally. But I also can't work from home.

I just don't want more people than necessary to die and the healthcare system to get overwhelmed. Utah is at a point where they're starting to put plans together about who might receive hospital care and who might not.

I don't think it's a question of opening up everything or keeping everything shut down. It's a question of opening responsibily and with competent leadership and proper guidelines. (One example, I'm not aware of any outbreaks related to Disney World. We know of outbreaks related to Trump rallies, we know the risks of dining in, so I would assume we'd know about outbreaks related to Disney World. Since we don't, I'm assuming what they're doing works, so I have no issue with Disney World being open and under those circumstances, I think Disneyland should have considered easing into opening as well. There is no reason California couldn't have asked Disneyland for tighter restrictions than they have in Florida but it would likely have kept more employees employed).
I didn’t realize DW reopened!

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
My question was more, why this particular book? What makes it more truthful than, say, a whole lot of other sources?

Every epidemiologist has been predicting a ********* for a couple of decades now and asking governments to prepare. This is why George Bush wrote a ********* plan. It's why Barack Obama said that he lost more sleep over the possibility of a ********* than over war. It's why Bill Gates gave a TED Talk that now has people asking how he knew a ********* was coming and think it must mean he planned it all.

Major pandemics come along roughly every 100 years. We were due. There were and still are a number of things in the world that make pandemics likely to develop. I've been reading about this for years. If I am going to devote my time to reading another book on the subject, I need a better reason than a post telling me to do it. What makes this book worth my time? And telling me that it's the truth isn't persuasive, as that's always the stance of conspiracy theorists.
My Dad studied pandemics as part of his consulting business the last 28 years of his life. He studied pandemics all the way back to Roman times. There was always a common thread running through them and that there were waves. Some waves took years since the rate of spread was so slow. The flu ********* of 1919 was faster because the mode of transportation was faster. This ********* was much faster because the mode of transportation is faster.

I knew this was coming. Dad told my brother and I in 2012 that we would live to see another worldwide plague as he called it. We will see a bad second wave and most likely a third. The third will not be as bad since there probably will be a vaccine that will blunt it. This wave we are now seeing will be a doozy. A lot of people will get sick but the fatality rate may be somewhat lower than what we saw in the spring.

People don’t like being cooped up which explains why there is rioting. The next three to five months are going to be bad. Worldwide daily case rates will move into the 500,000 to 750,000 range. We will most likely see our first 500,000 daily case load this week.

The watch word is just be smart....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information