News & Experiences continued

once_upon

Voter
I have to just hope everyone i have/will be in contact with over the last week and upcoming week will stay ***** free. It has been and will be high risk activities.

I just don't know. Its frightening

tony

Want to know what is stupid? Florida reopened a few weeks ago basically overnight because DeSantis said he was no longer enforcing a lack of wearing a mask in public and that no businesses should remain closed. Bars and nightclubs opened, and Miami and several other areas were on an 11PM curfew. A strip club in downtown Miami threatened to sue over not being able to run their normal hours (5AM closing), and the city allowed them to stay open. Other bars and clubs got upset over the lack of them getting in trouble, so they announced a short while ago that Miami Beach is no longer following any kind of curfew and everything is allowed to go back to staying open until the normal 5AM hours.

The county has filed an appeal against allowing this to happen, but the Mayor commented that as of right now, they cannot enforce a curfew.

I've been pretty vocal about people not caring at all here and across the US regardless of political affiliation. The bars were already packed even with an early shutdown. In Orlando, places are running like there is no CV at all, and Atlanta the same thing.

Halloween is going to be a complete shit-show here unless the appeal goes through quickly, but even then-- no one is going to care.

Susan1

(Oh, I think I saw a vulture flying over the parking lot! I swear. It was just soaring along way up. But it was really big. I stayed under the overhang and watched it for a couple minutes. It looked like it had a white head, so maybe it was an eagle! There are nests around here. It flew off over the Speedway.)
Sidebar - I put it on our neighborhood page (the good one I am subscribed to now). It was an eagle! Other people have heard that people have seen them recently! They have a nest watch every spring at Carillon Park in Dayton and people report sightings closer to there or north. I saw an Eagle. It swooped low enough, if there would have been a semi in the parking lot it could have landed on it. I'm so excited. Like the time I saw a fox on the way to work, coincidentally, close to Carillon Park. I sat at a secretarial station inside the door to our area with a shelf across the front so I could talk to people. And everybody who walked in the door, I said "I saw a fox". Then my boss had to spoil it all by saying they see them at the golf course all the time. Well, mine was walking down the sidewalk by the Marriott. So there.

Susan1

Ok, thanks for the info, but marching band with young teenagers still sounds like a BAD IDEA to me!
The end of DeWine's update the other day, there was a band (of course, I had to go the bathroom, so , who?) on the football field all standing six feet apart in every direction. They weren't marching. Rats. There was a band practice on the high school football field this afternoon. I could hear it at the library. Any other time, I would have flown there. I just wanted to get everything done and get home. Me, who still tears up at our fight song. My cousin called me from her son's basketball game one time at half time so I could hear it. (still wound up from the eagle. I need to go put on my pajamas and get in my little nest (ha ha) and read. I have 8 books now.)

Dobre

Idaho just shattered its high for new cases today. 1,094 cases:(.
And what story pops up on Google first when I type in the words "Idaho news"? Whether In-and-Out Burger is coming to Idaho:wall:.

Both North Dakota & South Dakota are reporting deaths of local politicians. It is a sad commentary on things that I now tend to scroll past articles about teachers & politicians that have died because this is no longer uncommon to see if I search through a bunch of states. Three staff members at the governor's office in Alaska have tested positive. A football coach, Dan Mullen at the University of Florida also tested positive.

******** deaths in Utah double over two weeks​

Minnesota, Illinois, & Indiana all had new highs for new cases within the last two days.

Iowa essentially had a new high today. (Their only higher number was when antigen tests were added). The positivity rate there is still over 20%.

Within a week, New Mexico almost doubled its previous high.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Victoria just 2 new cases. Andrews is announcing the loosening of some restrictions, such as the distance limit being 25km rather than 5km.

I feel bad for him, he's on a hiding to nothing. If they keep it closed down now, people are whinging and screaming because it's "only 2 cases a day". But if he opens it all up, cases explode again and then in two or three weeks he has to close everything down again they'll be at him for opening up too soon.

MsZem

Victoria just 2 new cases. Andrews is announcing the loosening of some restrictions, such as the distance limit being 25km rather than 5km.

I feel bad for him, he's on a hiding to nothing. If they keep it closed down now, people are whinging and screaming because it's "only 2 cases a day". But if he opens it all up, cases explode again and then in two or three weeks he has to close everything down again they'll be at him for opening up too soon.
New Zealand had zero community transmission for over three months and still got new cases. There's no reason to keep people in a restrictive lockdown when there are so few new cases; by now they should be set up to track and trace and prevent spread of new cases, and and it makes sense to gradually ease restrictions.

Ran Balicer is an epidemiologist and director of the research institute of a major Israeli health provider. He's likened lockdowns to a tourniquet: sometimes necessary to stop the bleeding, but extremely damaging to leave them on for too long - and if you're not set up to take care of things once the tourniquet is removed, you'll just get bleeding again and have accomplished nothing in the long run.

Taiwan/Japan/South Korea are the countries we should be looking to as an example.

Dobre

A look back on the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and the likelihood that it helped set off the current surge in the Midwest. It is a nice article, includes a number of human stories & folks that learned the hard way. What strikes me the most about the article though is how clear it is how completely impossible it was to control and contact trace the spread from an event like this--of this scale and with this demographic. The city & state had a chance to stop the event, and--yes, it absolutely would have been costly to the town's economy; but that was the only chance they had to stop the spread, IMO. And, yes, some people would have come anyway. But if the bars, tattoo parlors, and restaurants had shut down, then the most likely venues of spread would not have been there.

There is a world of difference between saying "Yes, families can take motorcycle trips" vs. hosting a 10-day event for 750,000 people.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Want to know what is stupid? Florida reopened a few weeks ago basically overnight because DeSantis said he was no longer enforcing a lack of wearing a mask in public and that no businesses should remain closed. Bars and nightclubs opened, and Miami and several other areas were on an 11PM curfew. A strip club in downtown Miami threatened to sue over not being able to run their normal hours (5AM closing), and the city allowed them to stay open. Other bars and clubs got upset over the lack of them getting in trouble, so they announced a short while ago that Miami Beach is no longer following any kind of curfew and everything is allowed to go back to staying open until the normal 5AM hours.

The county has filed an appeal against allowing this to happen, but the Mayor commented that as of right now, they cannot enforce a curfew.

I've been pretty vocal about people not caring at all here and across the US regardless of political affiliation. The bars were already packed even with an early shutdown. In Orlando, places are running like there is no CV at all, and Atlanta the same thing.

Halloween is going to be a complete shit-show here unless the appeal goes through quickly, but even then-- no one is going to care.
Cue up Blue Oyster Cult......

And we passed 40 million cases worldwide. At this pace the 50 million mark will be passed somewhere between November 18 and November 23rd...:(:(:(:(

MsZem

Restrictions are being eased in Israel - we can finally have takeaway and not just delivery, plus more important things ;)
Early childhood education is back, but elementary education isn't supposed to start until the next phase. Unless you're ultraorthodox, because they do whatever they want. Jerks.

Susan1

I didn't even have to look at the website yesterday. On the news - 2,243 cases. A new high. Four straight days over 2,000. We are now over 17,000 (and 9) hospitalizations, with 99 reported. 21 day average is 87. And they were interviewing people in the Oregon District (Dayton) - streets blocked off and tables "socially distance" all around outside on the weekends. Some guy, not in a mask, said something about things were going fine and to just let people come down there and have fun.

Miezekatze

Yeah, but doesn't mean that having several strict lockdowns is a sign of success, which I'm sure is was MrsZem meant.

I'm sure South Koreas way of "controlling the spread" is a lot better for the economy than what Israel has managed to do.

I can't imagine many small businesses surviving 2 hard lockdowns, let alone 3.

MsZem

Yeah, but doesn't mean that having several strict lockdowns is a sign of success, which I'm sure is was MrsZem meant.

I'm sure South Koreas way of "controlling the spread" is a lot better for the economy than what Israel has managed to do.

I can't imagine many small businesses surviving 2 hard lockdowns, let alone 3.
I don't think allezfred meant his post as criticism of what I wrote (describing the FT as a "left wing commie" paper makes that clear).

It's a shame that we can't all live in places that emulate Taiwan or South Korea - especially South Korea, which had community spread very early compared to most countries, yet still managed to get things under control. That's impressive.

Lemonade20

Former Kurtholic
Okay; how do you propose to create bubbles within households where some members are low risk and some are high?
Exactly, we can’t control everyone’s movements and who they come in contact with. The smart thing to do is wear masks, social distance and wash hands often. Limiting how many places you visit is also helpful. Can you remember all the places you’ve been to in the last 14 days?

MacMadame

Staying at home
Countries that have failed to control the spread of YKW have fared worse economically according to a graphic from that famously left wing commie newspaper the Financial Times.

The data in that article is very interesting. It shows how international and long-distance travel managed to spread the ***** all over the world fairly quickly. Getting it from China to Italy which are nowhere near each other fairly quickly.

I was also shocked by that one animated chart of the US that shows that CA had almost nothing going on compared to the rest of the country. Our little bubbles stayed so small. I know we weren't hit as hard as NYC but I expected to see more cases here based on the way the press has reported on C19.

canbelto

The data in that article is very interesting. It shows how international and long-distance travel managed to spread the ***** all over the world fairly quickly. Getting it from China to Italy which are nowhere near each other fairly quickly.

I was also shocked by that one animated chart of the US that shows that CA had almost nothing going on compared to the rest of the country. Our little bubbles stayed so small. I know we weren't hit as hard as NYC but I expected to see more cases here based on the way the press has reported on C19.

Think it's because of the size of CA. It's such a huge area with some counties that are bigger in size than entire states that a smaller outbreak seems larger because of the number of people infected. But to this day it's ranked 30th in cases/1M pop and 27th in deaths/1M pop.

I also think that in the summer surge CA was able to contain the surge better than Florida and Texas.

Susan1

Exactly, we can’t control everyone’s movements and who they come in contact with. The smart thing to do is wear masks, social distance and wash hands often. Limiting how many places you visit is also helpful. Can you remember all the places you’ve been to in the last 14 days
I write down what stores I go to, and the library, in my calendar. I didn't go anywhere Thursday or Friday. I went to CVS, Walgreen's, the library and Kroger yesterday. Always with a mask and using my wipe, their wipe and/or hand sanitizer. I won't go anywhere today or tomorrow (it's supposed to rain all day).

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I missed this article a week ago but it is a harbinger of what will be happening in the U.S. when our Thanksgiving rolls around.

MONTREAL -- Though *********-19 cases continue to rise across the country, more than half of Canadians surveyed recently said they would not be staying home for Thanksgiving and would instead be visiting friends and family.

The Association of Canadian Studies (ACS) study found a stark difference in attitude this week from feelings in the spring.

When the ACS surveyed Canadians during the Easter holiday (Apr. 10-12), just 12 per cent said they had gotten together with family.

Dobre

The Nyssa School District has 10 teachers/staff that have tested positive for *********, spread across 3 different age-level schools. Nyssa is a community of @3,000 people. They are in Malheur County on the Idaho border, which remains the hottest spot per capita in Oregon. Malheur is not remotely close to meeting the health metrics required to open schools here. (The county would have to stay below 30 cases for 3 weeks, but currently it has had 285 cases within the past three weeks). However, high need small groups of students are attending class & teachers must be working in the building.

I think this highlights why high-risk teachers need to be allowed to work from home. The state knows that Malheur County is not a safe environment for schools to be open. Nyssa is also on the hotspot zipcode list.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Contact tracing in Alberta has its limitations.

*********-19 cases are rising in Alberta, and there are concerns that difficulties involved in contact tracing — both manual and digital — could hamper the province's ability to slow the spread.

Of the 1,812 new cases reported in Alberta last week, 772 (43 per cent) have an unknown source. There are currently 2,836 active cases in the province, 1,054 (37 per cent) from an unknown source...

Lori Henneigh, acting manager with an Alberta Health Services *********-19 outbreak team in Red Deer, Alta., told CBC News last month that people often have difficulty remembering what they did 14 days ago.

"If you think about it yourself, if you try to think about what you did in the last 14 days, you'll realize that it's not easy to recollect what you did two weeks prior," she said. "We certainly can ask them to look at statements — bills, receipts and things they have at home — to help them remember their activities in the last 14 days."

Dobre

An article about the worthless governors currently running the states with the biggest spikes in cases:

Not all of the states with the biggest current spikes have had poor leadership. An obviously high percentage, yes; but the governor of Montana has largely tried to support health measures and Wisconsin's governor tried but has been blocked by the local courts. Montana's escalation has been very fast. I am hoping the state can shut that escalation down.

The article above is about those governors that have not supported public health measures. I just wanted to clarify that not every governor with a bad spike has been "worthless." This is a very dangerous disease, and even when you do things right, the attempt to balance health concerns and daily life for state inhabitants is a huge challenge. I also wanted to mention that while the governor of North Dakota has totally dropped the ball with enforcement, he was one of the first republican governors to speak out against anti-mask rhetoric.

canbelto

Not all of the states with the biggest current spikes have had poor leadership. An obviously high percentage, yes; but the governor of Montana has largely tried to support health measures and Wisconsin's governor tried but has been blocked by the local courts. Montana's escalation has been very fast. I am hoping the state can shut that escalation down.

The article above is about those governors that have not supported public health measures. I just wanted to clarify that not every governor with a bad spike has been "worthless." This is a very dangerous disease, and even when you do things right, the attempt to balance health concerns and daily life for state inhabitants is a huge challenge. I also wanted to mention that while the governor of North Dakota has totally dropped the ball with enforcement, he was one of the first republican governors to speak out against anti-mask rhetoric.

Oh I was saying this article is about reckless governors whose states are currently going through bad spikes. Kentucky's governor has been very responsive and they still have bad spikes. Roy Cooper in NC has also been very responsive and NC is not doing well currently. It's a stubborn disease as you said.

Dobre

President of St. Augustine’s University in North Carolina dies of *********-19 complications :cry:

"The president of Saint Augustine’s University in Raleigh, N.C., died Thursday of complications from the ********, the school announced.

Irving Pressley McPhail became president of the private historically Black university in July.

McPhail self-quarantined about three weeks ago after he feared he may have been exposed to the novel ********, said James Perry, a former Florida Supreme Court justice and the chairman of the school’s board of trustees.

McPhail tested positive while still mostly asymptomatic, Perry said. But about two weeks ago, McPhail had difficulty breathing and was taken to the emergency room. His condition seemed to be improving while he was hospitalized, but about three days ago, he took a turn for the worse, Perry said. He died Thursday night."

MacMadame

Staying at home
CA is doing well while other parts of the country are surging. Experts think it's because we have the highest level of mask usage in the country (using self-reported numbers) and are social distancing. Hopefully we learned from trying to re-open too soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information