News & Experiences continued

Parsley Sage

Not just that other officiants are opting out, but I'm seeing the wedding industry is pushing harder and harder now - the venues and all the other vendors (caterers, florists etc) who had their summers fully booked since last year, now trying to pick up the pieces. I've seen restaurants now advertise private parties only, or as an option they never offered before, and certainly hotels who need to make up for all those empty guest rooms and restaurants by filling up their ballrooms - because it's not going to be business meetings and conferences for some time.

Businesses are getting creative now - more and more hotels are offering "work from here" options for extended stays or even day packages, and in fact whole countries are offering incentives for people to relocate and "work from here" - including Barbados and Bermuda.
There's a big banquet facility near me that switched to making frozen meals to go at the beginning of the ********* including a package with 7 meals that fed 4-6 people each for $150. They have now added prepared picnic baskets.

Now that the hall is allowed to be open again, they have a "micro wedding" package for up to 50 guests.

British Columbia: 85(!) new cases. A HUGE increase.
Ugh. I hadn't looked at today's numbers yet. The wedding my husband is in this weekend is now moving their bbq reception inside (a massive house, but still) because it's supposed to rain. With immune compromised people attending. And people traveling from hotspots, including the groom's brother who has been going to house parties :wall::scream: We are no longer going as long as it's inside.

canbelto

another huge reporting day, with the most deaths reported today since may. triple digit numbers of deaths in GA, FL, CA, TX and AZ. Awful.

sk8nlizard

another huge reporting day, with the most deaths reported today since may. triple digit numbers of deaths in GA, FL, CA, TX and AZ. Awful.
I wish I could figure out where they get these numbers. I follow my county’s health website and those deaths often don’t match worldometers. For example, my county’s website is Saying 7 deaths but worldometer is saying 12. Yesterday it was higher as well. I’m not disputing the numbers just trying to figure it out since they are both reputable sights.

Dobre

Restaurants asked to contact trace as *********-19 cases spike
What do you know? Texas is starting to keep restaurant logs.

Some Arizona schools plan to open, disregarding benchmarks, Hoffman

Face masks work, are slowing ***** in South Carolina, data shows

Experts: *********-19 is spreading in Hawaii at a faster rate than anywhere else in the nation

The White House Is Quietly Asking Oregon to Lock Down Some *****-Ravaged Rural Counties
(So it's interesting that this is apparently coming from the White House task force, while people here are determined to blame the governor for restrictions. Anyway, Umatilla County is already back to Stay at Home because of the results of the OSU study. I think the governor is giving Morrow & Malheur counties more leeway because officials in both counties have expressed more of a willingness to try to find a way to bring down caseloads. (Malheur has a lot of cases in a prison. Morrow has a lot of food-processing businesses on the river). Both counties may not succeed at this & may need to transfer to Stay Home status also, but the last I read from officials in each county made it sound like they were trying. Having said that, if it were up to me, I would test every single person in Boardman in Morrow County. And anyone who works at any of the food plants as they employ a lot of people in Irrigon and probably Umatilla as well).

How many weeks has it been since case numbers started going down in each of these states?

MsZem

More cases in New Zealand. Looking at the list of those infected, I suspect this will not be the end :(
And they had zero local transmission for more than three months and can fully restrict travel. Which to me reinforces what's been clear for a while: unless we want to go into constant lockdowns until there's a vaccine/treatment, we're going to have to learn how to live with this thing. Which means masks (which NZ did not require), and distancing, and hygiene.

A tip for everyone: the BBC is great source, none of their links include forbidden words ;)

cholla

High ground loner
Ugh. I hadn't looked at today's numbers yet. The wedding my husband is in this weekend is now moving their bbq reception inside (a massive house, but still) because it's supposed to rain. With immune compromised people attending. And people traveling from hotspots, including the groom's brother who has been going to house parties :wall::scream: We are no longer going as long as it's inside.
I just heard on a French radio (and "tilt", it made me think of you) that after a wedding on August 1st in the city of Reims (150 guests), 50 are now infected, including the newly weds. In July, in the nearby town of Annecy, 80 people had a wedding party on a boat. 15 days later, more than a half of them was sick, including 2 who were put on a ventilator (and they are in their 40s).

Other news from the old Europe: Spain is about to turn into a mess again. Average of 4.923 new cases every day for the past 7 days. That's more than the addition of cases in France, Italy, Germany and the UK altogether. That's 108 cases for 100.000 Spaniards, 4 times more than in France and 50 times more than in Italy. Some Europeans countries have now rendered quarantine compulsory for their citizen coming back from Spain and/or are actively advising them NOT to go to Spain for holidays.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Has your husband had a frank discussion with the groom about this? Can he do the ceremony then opt out of the reception? Maybe make a quick masked appearance for any speeches then leave before spending too much time inside? And get you excused from going at all?

What a nightmare for you.

In July, in the nearby town of Annecy, 80 people had a wedding party on a boat.
We spent part of our honeymoon there :(

Has your husband had a frank discussion with the groom about this? Can he do the ceremony then opt out of the reception? Maybe make a quick masked appearance for any speeches then leave before spending too much time inside? And get you excused from going at all?

What a nightmare for you.
Yes, hubby made it clear what our boundaries were. And that not being there was not a reflection on our level of support for their marriage. Hopefully the weather smartens up but if not we’re both very comfortable with not going. I also sent some fresh sourdough bread and hubby spent a few hours there doing yard work. Some of their friends are being jerks about it and I don’t think that’s necessary. I don’t think they’re making wise decisions but you can be nice and firm simultaneously.

Louis

Private citizen
Spain's Galicia region has banned smoking! :smokin: :cheer: :cheer2: Finally, some sensible responses to c*vid-19.

Galicia's smoking ban was announced in a press conference on Wednesday after experts recommended the measure to the regional government.

The move is supported by health ministry research, published last month, that outlined the link between smoking and the increased spread of ********.

It said the risk was heightened because people project droplets - and potentially *********-19 - when they exhale smoke.

It also said smokers risked infection in other ways, such as by touching their cigarette before bringing it to their mouth and by handling face masks when taking them on and off.
[...]

"Current evidence indicates that smoking is associated with... a higher risk of developing a severe form of symptoms," it added.
Now it's time to start tackling obesity: taxes, incentives for weight loss, etc.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The problem of drug overdoses has only gotten worse.

While there’s no good national data for the year yet, local and state jurisdictions have reported increases in overdose deaths. According to the American Medical Association, as of July 20, more than 35 states have reported increases in drug-related deaths and other concerns with drug use and mental illness. Some municipalities reported overdose deaths increasing by 20, 40, or 60 percent — or more...

The demands of social distancing have worsened social isolation, possibly leading more people to use drugs to cope. Social services and addiction treatment programs — many of which already lacked in funding and rigor — have fallen to the side, as the economic collapse has crushed public and private revenues, and social distancing has forced some places to close.

Meanwhile, the actions that different levels of government have taken to shore up the gaps caused by the ********* simply haven’t been enough. As experts told me, telemedicine — while certainly helpful for many, and better than nothing — simply can’t make up for being able to pick up new syringes or naloxone, the opioid overdose antidote, at the local needle exchange program.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Spain's Galicia region has banned smoking! :smokin: :cheer: :cheer2: Finally, some sensible responses to c*vid-19.
You should probably read beyond the headlines.

From today onward, Galicia has banned smoking in the street or in public spaces such as sidewalk cafes if a two-meter social distance cannot be respected. The northeastern Spanish region is the first to take such a step, although several more of the country’s regional governments have been studying a similar restriction.
Many Japanese cities already ban smoking on the streets and that was well before YKW. ;)

once_upon

Voter
People do tend to read headlines, if it fits their viewpoint, post it as the example of validating what they believe. Neglecting to read the rest.

I know I've fallen into this trap :shuffle:

Susan1

My other David Rosenfelt book came in, so I went to the library. Plus there was another that wasn't on my on hold list when I looked online. I swear people are following me to the library. When I came out, there was a woman parking a car right where I was going to walk (that was not a parking place). By the time I went in front of another car parallel parked, she was coming back out, so it must have been just to return a book. Two minutes earlier, we would have been at the doors at the same time.

I went to Kroger to look at the masks in the bin while it wasn't crowded. Bad place to put them, right inside the door where people have to go in and out. They didn't have any with the adjustable strings. I used a paper towel to move them around.

And I went to CVS to get Puffs with my 30% off. The clerk had her mask only on her mouth. And they had the masks at the counter, same price as Kroger, $3.99, but I got it 30% off. I got a black with pink flowers. It will be too hot to wear now. I had to wait for a woman who was signing up for something and asked a bunch of questions and had the clerk check her receipt and stuff. By the time I got to the car, I was sweating into my eyes.

Louis

Private citizen
I read the whole article, and I do understand that cigarettes are not illegal. That said, these are pretty significant smoking bans, especially for (Southern) Europe. It's also an acknowledgement that smoking spreads c*vid-19, putting both the smoker and those who breathe their smoke at increased risk, and also the (commonsense) conclusion that smoking makes people far more likely to have serious effects or die from c*vid-19.

Learning to live with the ***** means learning to live with draconian restrictions on smoking. It likely also means lessening obesity. People aren't dying from c*vid alone. They're dying from c*vid + very old age, smoking, obesity, and other illnesses related to that.

Restricting those things, or controlling them as best we can (we can't restrict old age, sadly!) seems like a sensible thing to do, to me at least, compared to more lockdowns which don't seem to work. Even New Zealand is seeing the ***** again.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
I read the whole article, and I do understand that cigarettes are not illegal.
Well that’s good to know because it wasn’t clear you understood that when you said Galicia had banned smoking.

once_upon

Voter
people with pre existing conditions ARE NOT the only ones dying or critically ill.

But no matter age or physical conditions a majority have some long term consequence; heart, kidney, circulatory, neurological, clotting disease.

Some of the data that came out about NCAA college sports cancelations were healthy athletes who contracted C-19 even with mild symptoms had decreased myocardial function. A quote that I read was along the lines "to put someone's life or career at risk for a single season of football.

Sparks

people with pre existing conditions ARE NOT the only ones dying or critically ill.

But no matter age or physical conditions a majority have some long term consequence; heart, kidney, circulatory, neurological, clotting disease.

Some of the data that came out about NCAA college sports cancelations were healthy athletes who contracted C-19 even with mild symptoms had decreased myocardial function. A quote that I read was along the lines "to put someone's life or career at risk for a single season of football.
CNN just did a report on what they call "Long Haulers". These people got sick 90-100 days ago and they still are very sick. The people they interviewed were young-ish and healthy before they got La Rona.

Susan1

Ohio Update - 8/13/20

Cases - 105,426 / 24 hour - 1,178 / 21 day average - 1,202 - 21 day average; positivity rate 5.1%
Hospitalizations - 12,023 / 122 / 98 (952 still in hospital)
ICU - 2,743 / 22 / 16
(329 still in ICU / 178 still on vents)

Deaths - 3,755 / 21 / 24

The first thing was the effects of the c.v. on the heart. An OSU cardiologist gave all of the technical stuff that I have seen lately. And 10-13% of the positive cases he has seen have ended up with myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle). It can range from mild symptoms to sudden cardiac death. So prevalent in athletes because "competition excites the heart". (me - tell that to all the parents complaining because their kid can't play football.) DeWine asked about just a regular person who might be going out for a run. If you have c.v. symptoms, don't. If you have cardiac symptoms, you should be evaluated by a cardiologist before activity. Rest and gradually increase exercise when better.

Ohio counties ranked by Highest Occurrence per 100,000. From the top 10 list - Mercer still the highest (298 per pop. 41,172). Lucas-Toledo is down to 5th (159.9 per pop. 428,348). Franklin-Columbus is up to 7th (126 <down> per pop. 1,316,756). The rest of the top 10 are rural. Montgomery county is 26th.

12 Red counties. Three new - Clermont ("next to" Cincinnati) was down to Orange, now Red again. They went from 30 cases last week back up to 101. Brown county is a new one (next to Clermont). They are very rural, across the river from Maysville, KY. Their occurrences have been mostly from community spread. Muskingum (two counties east of Columbus) is the third. Cuyahoga (Cleveland) is still Red, even though their 102 cases are down from what they were. Montgomery (me) is still Red because they have 4 indicators. Even though cases are 94 per 100,000, ER and outpatient visits are up, which are early warning signs.

Allen and Medina are no longer Red. 9 counties went from Orange to Yellow. Reason? More mask wearing. Only example today was a card party of friends in Clark county. 7 people ended up sick. Small workplaces are also causing spread. Some have to close. He mentioned Dayton.

Showed a map of where the National Guard will be doing testing next week.

Showed Education Model map as of August 12 with red counties outlined. (me-He didn't give the counts of who is doing what. It changes every day.) The details of the school mask Order will be put out there today.

Lots of this was about the Minority Health Strike Force that was announced in April. Two different people skyped. Since this was a c.v. update and I'm posting on the c.v. thread, I didn't write stuff down. You can check out DeWine's twitter account if you want to know. https://twitter.com/govmikedewine?lang=en - c.v. maps and charts are on there too! The c.v. comments are disgusting.

But one skyped person mentioned nursing homes and I wrote down what about the spikes since they started allowing outside visitation. I know they have mentioned on the news that those were being suspended every time they announce a spike. So, late in the questions, we got Molly Koweek from WHIO here! Latest - 64 at Darke County nursing home. DeWine said you can have an outbreak even if you do everything right. (Darke county has only had 414 cases altogether.) A guy on the news at noon said they have workers who come from other counties. Yeah, sure, blame other counties. I bet the workers who then leave Darke county can actually spread it in their county too.

Now that the National Guard is not doing testing at the nursing homes, employees will do the testing on their own every two weeks. The National Guard takes the samples to the labs (me-where they take 2 weeks to come back?) And there is more emphasis on sanitation.

So, questions - trump is creating anxiety over being able to get mail-in ballots in in time. People want more drop boxes than ONE PER COUNTY. (me-I read an article that they are not going to do that.) DeWine said we know how to do absentee ballots. Husted said "easy to vote, hard to cheat". And you can mail a request for an absentee ballot now and get it a month before the election.

Reporter asked about the injunction in Warren County (just below us). I had to look that up -

"……Sunderman runs the Southwestern Ohio Basketball League who joined the Warren County Sports Park and the Kingdom Sports Center by filing an injunction against the state of Ohio Department of Health to allow contact sports at their businesses.

Judge Tim Tepe of Warren County Common Pleas allowed the injunction which now permits contact sports such as soccer and basketball to be offered by the two facilities and by the basketball league. For all practical purposes under the ruling, another league in those sports could come into Warren County and have competition.…….

The Warren County Convention and Visitor's Bureau was part of the legal proceeding on behalf of the Warren Country Sports Park. According to their website, tourism accounts for one of every 10 jobs in Warren County and the area attracts more than 12 million visitors annually. Many of those are teams coming to the area for tournaments that are conducted within proximity of Kings Island."

DeWine said it is under appeal. There will be an announcement on Tuesday about high school sports. Preview - there will be a limit on the number of fans.

What about football? Teachers, parents, school officials and health departments have to make the decision for their community. (me- except they play each other) Again he said the ability for schools to stay open and have activities depends on what the community does.

There was a spike over the 4th of July. What is the state going to do if there is one after Labor Day? (geez - what do you think "the state" should do?) With schools going back there is more opportunity for spread. "There is a limit to what we can regulate." There is still a limit of 10 people gatherings. Stay away from crowds. Our biggies for that weekend, Alterfest and Holiday at Home were already cancelled a couple months ago.

Are you going to enforce mask wearing at polling places? (me-by then, we might all be under another stay at home order. There have already been reports that they are having a hard time getting poll workers, they have always been mostly older people who don't have daytime jobs.) The mask order is for everywhere, but he won't have poll workers telling people they can't vote if they don't wear a mask. They should want to.

Do students have to wear masks if they can social distance? Yes (dummy).

What about violence in Columbus? There's a Strong Ohio bill he's trying to get the General Assembly to pass. (oh well)

Also what about money for state and local government? We don't want to run low on funding for police, fire, and testing that needs to be doubled and doubled again. We've already made cuts that he didn't like. He is confident there can be a bill passed by Congress.

Not. Jack. Ass. - the numbers keep going up. Has the mask mandate been effective? In urban areas where masks have been worn the longest there is a decline. Example - Hamilton county (Cinc.).

Reporter said several schools think they are opening fully too soon, will you close them? (See notes from every week………….) It's up to local school districts. What happens in the community affects the schools. We have to see how it works, monitor. Already problems in Indiana. "Your school is not an island."

Some schools are prohibiting bandanas and neck gaiters. Why does the mandate say they are o.k. (That was so stupid I didn't even write down what he said.)

Again, nobody asked how he was feeling or if he had another test.

manhn

British Columbia: 78 new cases, no additional deaths. They are doing an overview of the *********. The proportion of new cases are among the 20-39 set. Despite the increase in cases, the majority of them are linked to another case.

We are dealing with alot migrant workers getting sick, a good number of Canadians returning here still. But spread is minimal.

The majority of our cases are due to social gatherings, not workplaces, malls, grocery stores, etc.

No children were infected during that brief return to school in June.

We are 70% back to normal.

MacMadame

Staying at home
CA is working through our backlog. The expectation is that the backlog will be cleared by today so that tomorrow's reporting will be the last that is artificially high.

Dobre

Hawaii reports 355 new *********-19 cases as death toll rises to 40
((Hawaii)):cry:
Vast majority in Oahu. 80 cases at a prison. 20 in a homeless shelter.

White House warns of ‘widespread and expanding’ *********-19 spread in Georgia
-The White House ********* task force is recommending that Georgia enforce a mask mandate.

Meanwhile, the schools chief in Montana is angry with the governor for mandating masks:rolleyes:.

Indiana: There's been over 100 *********-19 cases across dozens of school buildings. Is it safe?

Miezekatze

More cases in New Zealand. Looking at the list of those infected, I suspect this will not be the end :(
And they had zero local transmission for more than three months and can fully restrict travel. Which to me reinforces what's been clear for a while: unless we want to go into constant lockdowns until there's a vaccine/treatment, we're going to have to learn how to live with this thing.
Yeah, but I guess it's usefull that NZL tried it out.
I'd guess the ***** must have never been gone and spread silently.

I wonder what the real situation is in China these days. They sometimes have much less restrictions than many other countries when there currently is no outbreak and I can't really imagine that the ***** is not spreading silently there either. That would seem like "magic".

MsZem

Yeah, but I guess it's usefull that NZL tried it out.
I'd guess the ***** must have never been gone and spread silently.
For now they don't know where it originated, but of course they're trying to figure it out. The number of cases continues to grow :(
I agree that it's useful that they tried this approach, but I feel like their experience illustrates how dangerous it is to assume that you can "crush" CV and go back to normal. From what I understand they allowed large gatherings without distancing and didn't require masks - I hope they don't make these mistakes again.

I wonder what the real situation is in China these days. They sometimes have much less restrictions than many other countries when there currently is no outbreak and I can't really imagine that the ***** is not spreading silently there either. That would seem like "magic".
I don't trust the numbers from China. They had community transmission in Wuhan for weeks before locking down, and this was before there was a lot of knowledge about how to best treat people who became sick. Plus we're seeing how every country that reopened has run into at least some trouble.

Susan1

I just need to vent or get a hug or something. I'm practically in tears for some reason. They are still arguing on the mean Miamisburg page. Miamisburg parents HAVE A CHOICE of remote or in-class. Make your choice and STFU. I know some of the posters are in "surrounding areas", but stop trying to tell everyone else they are wrong and your kid is the only one who matters. A guy put this long post about going to school putting teachers at risk. And some other guy said he's been delivering food to teachers who aren't teaching (wouldn't he do that any summer) and paying for their unemployment. And other people are calling the guy a hack because his profile is private (like they did to me, only he does have a profile picture). What is it with these trumpers that if you don't post a picture of every inch of your life and all of your personal information you aren't real. There's a privacy setting for a reason. Their president and his followers are the ones who lie and use bots and post conspiracy theories.

I looked at the one guy complaining about teachers not teaching profile and he had reposted a thing about famous people being part of a pedophile ring (this July, not 4 year old pizzagate, which they probably believed too) and said this has to be true. And other people "liked" it. What is wrong with people? They are out there and ruining the country and endangering everyone's health. It's depressing seeing people defend trump on t.v. or clips of his rallies, but to read that these people are so delusional and selfish and mean and they might be right down the street or in my Kroger freaks me out.

I know, I was going to completely delete the page after all the anti-Biden posts, but there are some things that are of interest to me. And I didn't get any negative comments after I posted the idiotic thing trump said the other day, or any negative Biden comments. And nobody said I didn't exist because I didn't have a profile picture. I'm just reading the things people say to each other and it's just so mean for no reason. O.k. - I am calm now. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information