News & Experiences continued

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Clorox won't have enough disinfecting wipes until 2021.

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Grocery shelves won’t be fully stocked with Clorox’s disinfecting wipes until next year, CEO Benno Dorer told Reuters on Monday, as the world’s biggest cleaning products maker struggles with overwhelming *********-led demand for its top product...

“Disinfecting wipes, which are the hottest commodity in the business right now, will probably take longer because it’s a very complex supply chain to make them,” Dorer said. Many wipes are made from polyester spunlace, a material currently in short supply as it is also used to make personal protective equipment like masks, medical gowns and medical wipes.

Jenny

From the Bloc
And now my husband has received a summons for jury duty. F*ck.
Quoting myself because now I know it's not as alarming as I thought. Husband has a way of freaking without all the facts, and now having read the notice he got, it's just the questionnaire to put you on the list for 2021, not an actual summons.

Still not something he wants to do, but hopefully by the time he actually does get a summons, the world will be in a better place. Hopefully.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
And the hits just keep on coming...

Not only do we have the crud here in MA, but now we have an outbreak of EEE.

The crud drove everyone outside, now the EEE is driving everyone back inside.

l’m so thrilled that I could just shit....

once_upon

Voter
I was a bit shocked when I saw that article about the Norweigian River cruise TBH. I had no idea that cruses were starting up again.
I've been getting emails from Princess and Celebrity for their cruises in October and November with fairly large "discounts".

We aren't even think about a cruise until 2022 at the earliest. Major changes would need to be in place for anything in 2021. And 2022 is probably wishful thinking.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Quoting myself because now I know it's not as alarming as I thought. Husband has a way of freaking without all the facts, and now having read the notice he got, it's just the questionnaire to put you on the list for 2021, not an actual summons.

Still not something he wants to do, but hopefully by the time he actually does get a summons, the world will be in a better place. Hopefully.
You should also check the local rules I've only been called for federal jury duty in NY, but for that I could defer jury duty 3 times just by requesting a deferral - no reason required. Each deferral was good for at least 6 months. Different jurisdictions have different rules, but most allow at least one deferral. So if he does get called while this is still going on, he may be able to defer.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
And the hits just keep on coming...

Not only do we have the crud here in MA, but now we have an outbreak of EEE.

The crud drove everyone outside, now the EEE is driving everyone back inside.

l’m so thrilled that I could just shit....
Eastern equine encephalitis, for those who didn't recognize (including myself until I Googled it).

Dobre

25 campers and staff test positive for *********-19 in Oregon’s first large summer camp outbreak

This was a day camp. (Usually overnight, but those are not permitted in Oregon right now so the organizers decided to hold the camp as a day camp). They kept campers in pods. It was about 5 days. Most of the camp was held outdoors, but not all of it. The camp did not require masks. They say because the mask mandate for kids was not required yet. (This is a classic problem with a lot of people's attitudes. Oh, the state isn't requiring blank so I can't or shouldn't require it. There was absolutely nothing requiring the group to hold the camp and nothing requiring them to hold anything indoors and nothing stopping the organization from requiring masks). The measures they did take probably helped keep the numbers down, though participants were discouraged from getting tested if they didn't have symptoms--asked that they quarantine without doing so. (I assume due to limited availability for tests).

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member

My daughter has jury duty this month.

I cannot believe that wasn't a sketch show, from the camera close up on the interviewer to the complete shitshow that was Trumps answers.
Every time the Trump fans I know post or email or whatever about Biden having cognitive problems, I am amazed that they are willing to go there. I mean, there's so much video.

canbelto

Apparently Dr. Amy Acton has left the Ohio Department of Health. I can;t believe the harassment and death threats she got.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
There has been a spike in cases here in Ireland (averaging around 45 new ones a day) so we are not moving to Stage 4, ie pubs to remain closed. Cyprus and Malta have also been taken off our green safe to travel list.

Susan1

I typed this one up Sunday, but didn’t post it
8/2/20 -
Cases - 93,031 / 24 hour - 944 / 21 day average - 1,307
Median age - down to 42
Hosp. - 10,900 / 43 / 98
ICU - 2,360 / 3 / 18

Deaths - 3,526 / 14 / 22

Testing 8/2 - 16,618 / 5.5 positivity rate / 7 day moving average - 5.7

Then we get to "not the weekend" (most #s back up)
8/4 - Tuesday
Cases - 95,106/ 24 hour - 1,143 / 21 day average - 1,291
Hosp. - 11,119 / 127 / 99
ICU - 2,593 / 23 / 18

Deaths - 3570 / 31 / 24
2 under 20; 12 in their 20s

My editorial comments are not entertaining today (ha) - Sorry.

A lot of the beginning was about the Oregon District shooting a year ago and gun measures. He talked about visiting the scene the next day and the funerals. I'll put the gun stuff in the other thread.

School - parents are frustrated with the uncertainty. Community spread will be reflected in schools. So -

Old Order was all employees must wear masks. New Order after consultations with doctors and Health Departments -- all students K-12 must wear masks too. He showed a letter from the Ohio Children's Hospital Association with the exceptions. (trumpers are going to go nuts.) FEMA is sending 2M masks to schools.

New chart - Ohio Counties Ranked by Highest Occurrence (per 100K) to see where your county is. It's one of the Indicators they use.

Sports - important to children, physical and mental health, parents are frustrated, etc. We don't know exactly what is going to happen. The order was extended for non-contact sports and contact practices going on, but that is not the Order for fall. They are still working on guidelines for contact sports competition. The Bengals and Browns have submitted their plans. They are reviewing plans for fans. (me - good luck) They showed a video of "I Want a Season" with pro and college and kids saying to wear a mask.

(There was just an article in last week's Miamisburg News about the band not going to any competitions, only playing at home games and not practicing inside when it has been too hot. When I was a kid, the band used to march from the band room to the baseball field early in the morning in the summer, several blocks and they had to turn corners at streets. One was by my house. We'd hear them coming and run outside. That was so cool. <I'd still do it. Not kidding.)

Sent a letter to faith-based communities about spread - masks, distancing, etc. 91 people got sick after 1 person did at some church.

Informal gatherings are causing too much spread. Just because you trust the person coming to your gathering, it doesn't mean that you can't get it. Everyone should want to protect each other.

Examples - One son whose father under Hospice Care… (oh, Tim said no one in their family was sick and didn't know about our Uncle Bob's family, but one of his daughters works somewhere where two of her coworkers tested positive. She doesn't live with them, but visits them with her grandmother on oxygen. He said he was going to ask her about getting tested - none of them have been.)… lived with him was coughing, thought he had bronchitis. With a bunch of people going in and out visiting the sick father, five family members tested positive after he did.

That wedding where the best man or whoever was already sick - the bride and groom and a grandfather got sick. 15 people and counting.

A bridal shower - 1 person was sick, which has impacted 6 households.

Need more testing. We are in a multi-state purchasing agreement for Rapid Point of Care tests (Maryland, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan and Virginia). (Don't ask me how they are going to get the supplies when they can't even get regular testing supplies.)

Dr. Acton's picture was up on the screen and I got scared. DeWine said she took some time off to rest (and I got even more scared), but she is leaving her employment with the state of Ohio to go back to the Columbus Foundation. She will still be available to advise him. He had so many great things to say about her, I thought he was going to cry. Those people that harassed her should be so ashamed. He mentioned the current Director about the mask order. I bet nobody writes threatening letters to "Lance" or demonstrates outside his home.

The Fairborn Fire Chief was on skype. He and his wife both had the c.v. She is a health care professional and they did all of the protocols and wore masks religiously and "it found its way through". He said she took off her scrubs before she came home. They had all of the symptoms for 3 weeks and have just gone back to work. (This is not going to help convince the anti-maskers to wear a mask if a fire chief and a health professional did everything right and they still got it.)

Husted - Workforce Development - that Tech Cred thing (something about paying for tech training), there has been a 101% increase in credits awarded since January (so basically just doubled?) - 3,241 (I wrote down that number, I don't know what it was), 302 companies, $3.4M in funding, 695 employees, 7,473 credits earned.

First question was about dark money, so I went to the bathroom…(TMI)...

We are about to reach 100K cases, what are DeWine's thoughts? The usual, and we can't measure long term damage and he thinks a lot about the people who are dying alone.

Some teachers have said he cares more about prisons than schools. That really shouldn't have been dignified with an answer, but he said they have to take care of everybody in Ohio or something.

Can you really expect Kindergarten and first graders to wear masks or are teachers going to be the mask police. The broad consensus is this has to be done to give us a fighting chance/increase odds of schools staying open.

Jim Otte, Dayton - what kind of masks are they recommending? Is it the schools or health department? DeWine - someone can look up the best kind on the internet. (That was a good answer.) It's the cumulative impact of what we all do, if the vast majority of people in the room where masks. It's not easy.

Athletes practicing are not wearing masks? They have to try to find a balance; things have to be worked out depending on the sport. People will figure it out. (He has got to be sick up to here not being able to give a definitive answer to all these dumb questions every week that don't have an answer.) Husted said if they "want a season" they have to participate in wearing masks.

What about the testing athletes 72 hours before a competition? That is not high school. There is already a lack of testing supplies.

Female reporter from Cincinnati t.v. station asked what will make HIM close schools. (me - huh?) So, blah, blah, blah, control the environment and community spread. We know what works. And she asked again what would make him close schools. (This was not even Jack the ass.) Schools need to have a plan now and will make the decision. (If you have ever paid attention, it's NOT UP TO ME - I said that, not him.)

Do you think we can get down to the 200 cases/day necessary with winter and flu season? Second verse, same as the first……(it would be funny if "I'm Henery the 8th, I Am" came on the internet radio right now. It didn't.) ……. We need to get the numbers down before that.

Next update Thursday at 3, instead of 2. I already set the DVR. I think I will remember two days from now, but I can see me sitting down at 2:00 and going where is it. I'll see it on the DVR list anyway.

Dobre

Oregon's positivity rate is up today. (One article said 10%. Most of the articles say 6.1%). But either is bad. If it stays above 5%, I think maybe no one is going to face-to-face school here so, Mr. President, we could use some more tests, please.

I hope places here will consider running outdoor flu-shot clinics.

sk8pics

So, my state is doing a little better, it seems, and schools are going to be allowed to open with a mix of on site and remote learning. I need to look more closely at our numbers and confirm this, but I think a lot of the recent cases are in the southern part of the state, while I live in the northern part.

And, the shelter I volunteer with is putting kittens back at the Petco that I am one of the volunteers for. So now I have to decide whether I feel safe going there. We work by ourselves, so that’s good, but I don’t know if I trust the person who goes in on Thursday afternoons to always wear her mask and to sanitize properly. She is notoriously bad at cleaning. Sometimes I think she just scoops whatever is on the top of the two litter boxes, sometimes I think she forgets to do one of them. Once I found the spray bottle that we use to clean the surfaces inside the cat cubbies actually in one of the cubbies. So she must have started cleaning and then got distracted by playing with the cats. We have 6 kittens there right now. I don’t know how messy they are —sometimes kittens are MESSY. It will take at least half an hour to clean up after them, make sure they have food and water, and give them a little attention. We are protected from the public because we’re in a little room behind the cubbies. But people coming in to get their pet groomed walk down the same hallway that our room is off of. I am thinking about going exactly when the store opens, but that means I may not get my morning walk in. Decisions, decisions. The woman who is in charge of the animals at the store, and us, did give guidelines. I had to add to her guidelines, that people needed to wear their masks correctly, since she hadn’t specified that. :rolleyes: And we all have seen people walking around “wearing” their mask but with their nose sticking out.

So.... I’m not sure if I’m going to go or not. The woman in charge is being very good in telling us we each have to decide for ourselves. I also am sure she got some pressure from the other people at the shelter, because there are a LOT of kittens.... Sigh.

once_upon

Voter
Today has been a particularly anxiety ridden day, my ********* gray hair is distressing me, my husband is having a colonoscopy on Friday which means i'll be in a Healthcare facility waiting to be his driver. Surrounded by people I have no idea about their risk factors, and I'm freaking bored.

manhn

British Columbia 146 new cases but over the course of four days due to long week (about 36 cases per day). No additional deaths in those 4 days.

Japanfan

I'm bored also, and dealing with medical stuff.

This morning I had a blood test, and it was fine - the staff were all wearing masks and shields, and appropriate distancing measures were in place.

Tomorrow I am getting a hip x-ray. I am sure it will be fine also.

Healthcare workers certainly don't want to get the ******, and are more at risk than the average person.

canbelto

So OH, VA, SC, and AL are on track to hit 100k new cases by the end of the week. Currently 13 states have over 100,000 cases.

Dobre

Gov. Brown says new back-to-school metrics may be in the works for rural Oregon

No. No, no, no, no, no!

Why? When giving rural counties easier metrics for reopening is exactly why we are in such a mess now? :wall:

Just stop listening to our local republican politicians. Listen to our doctors if you want to listen to someone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information