News & Experiences continued

ballettmaus

A slum in India that has about a million people living on one square-mile got the ***** under control. https://tinyurl.com/y3bkest7

City officials led by Dighavkar, the assistant municipal commissioner in charge of Dharavi, charted their own course. After identifying five areas reporting the most cases, they focused on screening every house for people with fever or low oxygen levels. Local doctors were enlisted to inspire confidence among residents.

Within 10 days, 47,000 people had been screened, and 400 symptomatic people were tested for the *****, with 20 percent turning out to be positive. An additional 4,000 people, including contacts and those with co-morbidities, were placed in institutional quarantine.

Health-care camps were set up in prominent locations in the slum where people could walk in and get a free ***** test. Officials urged dozens of private clinics in the area to remain open so more cases could be detected. In turn, the government provided them with protective gear and daily sanitization.

The other critical challenge was building health infrastructure from scratch. The government-run health-care facilities inside the slum had no beds or intensive care equipment. Dighavkar and his team took over a sports complex, a park, a marriage hall and private hospitals to house quarantine and treatment facilities. On a vacant lot, they built a 200-bed hospital with oxygen beds.

Hundreds of community toilets were sanitized three times a day. Soap and water supply was regularized.

The efforts paid off. The number of new cases in July was a fifth that of May. The recovery rate is over 80 percent, and the number of active cases is under 100.

Dobre

Nevada Assembly passes AB3; would ban choke-holds, require intervention of unjust force

Canada cracks down on those traveling through the country to get to Alaska

In Rural Missouri, Latinx Communities Learn To Contain And Cope With The ********

Twin Rulings By Federal Judge Block 'Public Charge' Rules For Immigrants
-This is important where I live. Apparently we have had immigrant families afraid to accept federal aid, even to provide health insurance for their children, because families are afraid a "charge" will be held against them for maintaining Visas. Health experts hope the official blocking of these "charge" rules will help families get the help they need and also help workers to stay home when they are symptomatic.

********: Mexico's death toll becomes world's third highest

canbelto

Well so my cat has been vomiting so today we took her to the vet. It was surreal -- we had to wait in the car while the vet saw her, and it was 90 degrees. The vet technician came out with a mask but not over her nose. But I think the anxiety of waiting in the car while the vet saw her was the worst.

The good news is that the vet didn't see anything worrisome about her and thinks she probably just has some food poisoning. But she is a 15 year old cat so we just wanted to make sure.

once_upon

New condo owner
My cousin joined our family zoom today. She lives. In Santa Fe. She said medical helicopters fly over her house a lot bringing ********* patients from rural areas im not sure if she was talking about New Mexico-which I thought had lower case numbers or from one of the surrounding states.

Two nursing care/assisted living facilities continue to have increasing numbers.

My aunt and uncle are still confined to their assisted living facility in Missouri however they can now go to the dining room, sitting 10 feet away from other residents. The facility has two shifts to accommodate spacing guidelines. Knowing how much space the dining room has and number of residents makes me wonder about schools.

Another aunt and uncle have two places, they are in their vacation home when ********* stay at home began. Unless cases drop in the states they have to drive thru, they will need to do absentee voting in the election.

My sister who as she says lives in North country in Wisconsin said their county has a few new cases.

My ********* hair is about 10 inches shorter than when we got married 47 years ago, when it was past my waist..

MacMadame

Staying at home
My ********* hair is about 10 inches shorter than when we got married 47 years ago, when it was past my waist..
I cut my husband's hair! He bought one of those hair clippers and I just ran it all over his head.

It's a lot harder to make everything even than you think though. I'm not happy with the results but he's okay with it.

cholla

High ground loner
Bocelli is a neutral figure, and his comments were widely regarded as surprising.
Bold mine. "Surprising" is rather far from the truth. Bocelli was, until now, a neutral figure and that is why his comments created a huge controversy, not to say a real scandal. During the worse of the crisis he was an ardent supporter of restrictions. He was very vocal about how he and his family had lived a nightmare when they all got the crud. He sang for the people with rapper Fedez, and alone at Milano Duomo for Eastern, making everybody cry in emotion. He was the perfect image of community spirit, solidarity and compassion.

Then, last Monday at the Senate conference "C0vid19 in Italy, between information, science and rights", to everybody's dismay, he took a totally different stance.

First of all, he was invited to this meeting by Matteo Salvini, former Minister of Interior and former European deputy, current general secretary of the Northern League: a far right political party known for its Islamophobia, anti-migrants and "Prima gli Italiani" = Italians first, views. For the record, 2 days ago, the Italian Senate lifted Salvini's parliamentary immunity so he can be prosecuted. He is accused of sequestration by the Palermo courthouse, because he refused 80 migrants to disembark from a humanitarian Open Arms ship stuck off the coast of Sicily. He risks up to 15 years in prison. Then he is also about to be judged by another court for the same thing regarding 116 other migrants. This is to give a little context and perspective.

Back to Bocelli: at this meeting, he suddenly declared that containment had humiliated and offended him, above all the fact that living his home was considered committing a crime. He revealed he had breached it several times because, at 61, he needed the sun and Vitamin D. He is quoted by Corriere della Sierra for saying: "I know a lot of people but I have never known anyone who has been in intensive care, so why so serious?" Hm, according to Bocelli's logic, since I actually know some people who were in intensive care and some who died, everybody is going to intensive care and die 😱 And, I have never seen a kangaroo in the wild. Hence kangaroos do not live in the wild. Better: wild does not exist.

A lot of Italian jaws dropped so low they could lick their feet (literal translation of a Piemontese local idiom) and his words were NOT welcome nor applauded. To the point Bocelli has had to quickly backpedal. Among the numerous detractors who made themselves heard, rapper Fedez who had organized the famous web concert with him twitted his disagreement in no uncertain terms. He cited one of his friends who has had a lung transplant at 18 because of C19 and added "poi fare silenzio ogni tanto non fa male eh" - sometimes remaining silent doesn't hurt... More than 35.000 Italians died of C0vid19, so Bocelli's sudden and incomprehensible volte-face was not appreciated. At all! His statements didn't go well. He was called a "C0vid19 negazionista" (C19 denier) by the media, and it made a lot of bad noise.

So a few days later, Bocelli publicly retracted himself, something you forgot to mention Louis :shuffle: . He said he had been misunderstood, that his foundation had done its best to help people with C0vid, that he had been to Milano Duomo to sing for the people but also to pray. Here is the FB video he posted to apologize (in Italian of course). A lot of media now say that he has shot himself in the foot, that the damage to his reputation is severe and that it will take a long time before people, including his most fervent fans, can forgive or forget.

I live on the border of Italy that I visit on a regular basis, due to this proximity I have access to Italian radios and TVs, I speak Italian, I have Italian close friends, and, cherry on the cake, my significant other is in Italy since March where he worked as an ICU nurse in the C0vid ward of a Milano hospital for 4 months. After a quarantine he resumed his second job as a registered mountain guide and he is currently in the Dolomiti, where he has friends and family as he lived there for 10 years. I read Italian press on a daily basis as we are
subscribers online (Corriere della Serra, la Repubblica, la Stampa).
I'm not and I have never been a die-hard fan of lockdown even if the loner I am had not much trouble with it (remember? According to you loners = psychopaths with corpses in their basement, spouse beaters and last but not least, child molesters... the last one being of course my favorite). So all this is not to defend long term lockdowns at all. But citing Bocelli as an exemple in Italian people's eye when his comments actually caused a mega-controversy is a bit much, even for you. I asked a friend who is a journalist for ANSA (Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata), the Italian Press Agency, if he thought there was any disinformation in foreign press about the way Italians look back at lockdown and about what they think of the restrictions still in use which can be quite severe like mandating masks inside and outside in some places of Lombardia. He said no. Nothing twisted or exaggerated as far as he knows. In French and British and US press I haven't seen many differences from what's said in Transalpine media. I'm a fervent supporter of mask wearing/social distancing/wash your hands, what French call "barrier moves/gestures". Do what it takes then off to work or to whatever you feel like doing that doesn't endanger others, and we will all make it. Unfortunately it is still asking too much from a lot of people and that will lead to new serious troubles.

Sorry for the essay :rofl: It's raining so I didn't go hiking and I have time to kill!

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The White House opposes a rule for passengers on trains and planes to wear masks.

The White House Office of Management and Budget called the provision in a U.S. House of Representatives spending bill requiring the masks “overly restrictive.” It added that “such decisions should be left to states, local governments, transportation systems, and public health leaders.”

This is the kind of malicious idiocy I don't understand. It would cost Republicans (the only people with value as far as they're concerned) nothing. It would make people feel more secure and thus more likely to travel, which would help the economy. It might even prevent a few cases of a virulent disease.

Sparks

My cousin joined our family zoom today. She lives. In Santa Fe. She said medical helicopters fly over her house a lot bringing ********* patients from rural areas im not sure if she was talking about New Mexico-which I thought had lower case numbers or from one of the surrounding states.
NM has fewer cases, relatively. The problem is that there are only several large enough hospitals to care for the state.

skatfan

My cousin joined our family zoom today. She lives. In Santa Fe. She said medical helicopters fly over her house a lot bringing ********* patients from rural areas im not sure if she was talking about New Mexico-which I thought had lower case numbers
The helicopters may be coming from the Navajo nations in northern New Mexico which have way more cases than they can treat.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Those Republicans, who have scads of money, but suggest $600 is too much are some of the biggest fcukwits on earth.
And they don't want to give people who are out of work and therefore definitely need it that money but they are all for giving everyone, regardless of need, even more money (The $1200 stipend). It makes no sense.

Cachoo

And they don't want to give people who are out of work and therefore definitely need it that money but they are all for giving everyone, regardless of need, even more money (The $1200 stipend). It makes no sense.
By the time they realized the scope of the problem (months late) they were sloppy and made a mess of the payments. Even my mom received a check. And she’s dead! (We did not cash it.)

We are drowning in the demand for help with rent and utilities at work. We need to extend these deadlines again. I detest some of these hard hearted utility companies.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Not everyone though, right? I got nothing in the first round and would neither want nor expect any in any upcoming stipend program. Your argument has merit but it need not be overstated.

Susan1

OMG - On my City's mean FB page, a person reposted something from the "Jack Windsor Fan Club"
about "return to play guidelines" for high school sports.
:rolleyes:

PRlady

By the time they realized the scope of the problem (months late) they were sloppy and made a mess of the payments. Even my mom received a check. And she’s dead! (We did not cash it.)

We are drowning in the demand for help with rent and utilities at work. We need to extend these deadlines again. I detest some of these hard hearted utility companies.
read this and weep. Even without the *********, evictions were legion. Now I can’t imagine how many people are going to be out in the street. Philly is only one example.https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/editorials/a/philadelphia-eviction-system-philly-renters-tenants-blindsided-20200728.html

Dobre

Nevada Legislature passes bill to mail all voters ballots amid *********
Good for Nevada.

Arizona sees massive drop in daily reported *********-19 cases, deaths

‘My father ignored medical expertise and now he has *********,’ Rep. Louie Gohmert’s daughter says

Orm Irian

Welp, here we go. Victoria is now in Stage 3 lockdown and Melbourne, the epicentre of Victoria's outbreak, is in Stage 4 for six weeks. Stage 4 means no leaving home except for work, shopping, giving or receiving medical care and one hour of exercise per day, and only one person can shop for a household at a time. No movement beyond 5km from home unless completely unavoidable. Work from home likewise; schools are only open to children of essential workers and vulnerable students. Curfew from 8pm to 5am. Let's just hope this brings the new case numbers down for Victoria the way it did for New Zealand.

New case numbers are holding steady in the teens in NSW at the moment, but Queensland is bracing for an outbreak after a border control messup, and here in SA we've had new cases in people who've come across the border from Victoria (mostly people returning home - one was a paramedic who went across to help out in the Victorian ambulance service) on most days last week and now new cases in people who haven't travelled but have had contact with those who did. Nine new cases in ten days. Our premier has just announced that some restrictions are being brought back in in hopes of getting ahead of the game, but they're targeting social interactions in the main, and that only gets one of the vectors that have brought Victoria undone - family transmission. They need to jump in on workplaces too before those catch on fire.

We're a tinderbox and the bushfire is getting closer. Firebreak needed.

once_upon

New condo owner
I want to shout this out to everyone:

thank you for attempting to wear a mask. I really do appreciate your commitment to mask wearing. But please let me remind you that we breathe in and exhale from our nostrils and our mouths. That means those nasty airborne droplets that carry ********* are expelled from both mouth AND NOSE. Please ensure your mask covers both.

Do you think they would allow me to preach on the street corner across from the guy reading scripture and shouting Jesus is your only salvation?

Dobre

So apparently Texas isn't counting a bunch of their positive test results?

Thousands of Texans are getting rapid-result *********-19 tests. The state isn’t counting them.

I can't read the article because I have reached my article limit. Can anyone else who can read it tell me if this is as bad as the title makes it sound or if this is a case in which some of these tests are also being redone another way and therefore, potentially a number much lower than "thousands" are not being counted?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
We're a tinderbox and the bushfire is getting closer. Firebreak needed.
In an almost literal sense too. We've had enough rain to make everything grow, but not really enough. And now season prep work is disrupted by the 'rona...

Looks like everyone has had the same idea. I went to buy some elastic today for mask-making, couldn't find any elastic under 20mm wide. Substituting bias binding and lycra strips instead for straps. I definitely saw a lot more masks today even though it's only a strong recommendation in NSW (and in Woolworths stores), so that's a good thing.

missing

So apparently Texas isn't counting a bunch of their positive test results?

Thousands of Texans are getting rapid-result *********-19 tests. The state isn’t counting them.

I can't read the article because I have reached my article limit. Can anyone else who can read it tell me if this is as bad as the title makes it sound or if this is a case in which some of these tests are also being redone another way and therefore, potentially a number much lower than "thousands" are not being counted?
I reached my article limit too. I don't remember reading any Houston Chronicle articles, so my article limit must be less than 1.

I really appreciate how open so many newspapers and magazines have been about sharing their articles, so I can't complain if they start deciding they need to establish boundaries.

missing

Premature births are noticeably down.

On the other hand, doctors at Statens Serum Institut in Denmark also noticed a similarly quiet NICU. They began their own investigation to quantify the pattern of plummeting premature births in their hospital.

They found that the rate of premature births in their country during March and April ******** lockdowns was 90% lower than the rate of 2.19 very premature births for every 1,000 babies born for the past five years.

Similar to the study in Ireland, the doctors noted that a big part of this decline was in babies born extremely early.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Aussies: That Vic Health pattern for mask-making is frapping useless, unless you have a huge face. Forget the 25x25, I made an adequately-fitting one using 25x17 but even then it's not fantastic. It will do as an interim measure until I source a better pattern.

But jeez, there are going to be so many people using the Vic Health one who'll just have huge gaping gaps at the sides or bottom, rendering them useless.

million$momma

In an almost literal sense too. We've had enough rain to make everything grow, but not really enough. And now season prep work is disrupted by the 'rona...

Looks like everyone has had the same idea. I went to buy some elastic today for mask-making, couldn't find any elastic under 20mm wide. Substituting bias binding and lycra strips instead for straps. I definitely saw a lot more masks today even though it's only a strong recommendation in NSW (and in Woolworths stores), so that's a good thing.
Some people here took hair elastics, kept them round and sewed the fabric around the loop. It worked well in a pinch when no elastic could be found anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 27, Guests: 9)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information