News & Experiences continued

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So, @Immortelle and @misskarne, your "casualisation" is equivalent to what people in other countries refer to as "temporary workforce" or "gig economy"?
Not the same as the "gig economy" - that's considered different again and is actually subject to many different court cases right now. Gig economy in Australia refers to UberEats/Deliveroo/etc riders/drivers, people doing jobs on Airtasker, through Gumtree, etc.

Temporary workforce might be closer. Casual rates are higher per hour, which is supposed to make up for sick leave but doesn't really. In return they don't get sick or annual leave and don't have a contracted number of hours. This is also subject to court battles right now, and in fact a few weeks ago a court ruled that casuals who worked a consistent number of hours each week should be entitled to leave as they are being used like permanent part-timers/full-timers without the security.

Because a lot of casual work is on the minimum wage, it means that a lot of them don't have savings, or much in the way of financial security, putting them in an impossible situation. And one of the huge casual sectors? Aged care workers. Who often work for big companies that outsource to aged care homes, and might not work at the same home two days in a row. Big, big problem. But casual is also dominant in the retail sector, as well. It's gotten progressively worse over the last decade.

Louis

Private citizen
The numbers have gone up, it quite clearly corresponds with the reopening of pubs where there are multiple daily reports showing that people aren't distancing in pubs, have a few drinks and end up hugging and singing.
I kind of agree with you here :shuffle: and think Britain will be back in lockdown if this type of behavior (or the type of behavior we saw in Soho on reopening weekend) continues.

Are there similar restrictions to London, where things have moved largely outdoors and where you must be seated to be served? I feel for the pub owners / workers and would hope there's a way to keep them open, while starting to enforce the rules.

South Africa has banned cigarettes (due to likelihood to cause complications in c*vid-19) and alcohol (due to trauma-related beds in the hospitals). People are buying pineapple to make hooch from the skins. :yikes:

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I kind of agree with you here :shuffle: and think Britain will be back in lockdown if this type of behavior (or the type of behavior we saw in Soho on reopening weekend) continues.

Are there similar restrictions to London, where things have moved largely outdoors and where you must be seated to be served? I feel for the pub owners / workers and would hope there's a way to keep them open, while starting to enforce the rules.

South Africa has banned cigarettes (due to likelihood to cause complications in c*vid-19) and alcohol (due to trauma-related beds in the hospitals). People are buying pineapple to make hooch from the skins. :yikes:
Oh goody - is their health system staffing up for detox cases?

antmanb

It's very hit and miss I think. The bars and pubs in the city centre are very strict about table service and contact tracing details. No cash. Quiet music. In the gay village the council has authorised the closure of the small streets so that the bars and pubs can set up tables and chairs outdoors with table service. Overall it is very strictly adhered to.

But the local pubs? Our local pub has gone to table service, but if you approach the bar they will serve you and the music is on loud. They don't take your details for contact tracing or anything like that.

We still hear people drunkenly stumbling home every night of the week at 10pm now instead of midnight but still - they're all clinging to each other and singing so you can only imagine that's how they've been in the pub.

Louis

Private citizen
Oh goody - is their health system staffing up for detox cases?
That was my going in assumption (and why tobacconists were "essential businesses" in Europe), but the statistics say otherwise. When the restrictions on alcohol were eased in South Africa, hospitals were overwhelmed from drunk driving incidents and domestic violence, and the murder rate shot up. So it was banned again.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
That was my going in assumption (and why tobacconists were "essential businesses" in Europe), but the statistics say otherwise. When the restrictions on alcohol were eased in South Africa, hospitals were overwhelmed from drunk driving incidents and domestic violence, and the murder rate shot up. So it was banned again.

Thanks for the additional information. I was not aware of South Africa's history regarding alcohol regulations. Sad that abuse problems are so severe there and in many countries.

Lemonade20

I can’t recall a single event that’s affected the whole world like this YKW has. People are scared, or feel invincible, or anxious for their loved ones. Being from BC, we were told almost immediately to self isolate and social distance. Washing hands frequently, using credit or debit cards wherever possible, and limiting our trips out. Gyms were closed, schools and a long list of businesses too. We were never told masks were mandatory, but recommended.

People need to realize it’s a common theme through the world: we need to work together to beat this rather than complain about lockdowns or shame others for not doing the same thing. Personally I’m annoyed airlines aren’t locked down. They are the reason this YKW spread so quickly.

MsZem

Some good news for us here in Israel: according to the group of Hebrew University experts who have been doing projections for some time now, there's now some control over the second wave. The 7-day average of new cases and hospitalizations is slightly down, reflecting an R0 of 1 or lower. If this is true, we'll see cases decline in the coming weeks as long as current measures remain in place and avoid a lockdown. Let's hope so!

Reporting only available in Hebrew at this time.

Buzz

Cinemas are opened here in Toronto and I plan on going next week! Going to the movies can’t be more risky than taking the bus several times a day.

Louis

Private citizen
Good news: Sweden's numbers are fantastic this week. Three consecutive days with no deaths, just a handful of total deaths this week, only ~40 new cases today, and only 40 serious cases in the entire country. It's a stark contrast to the numbers in places like Spain (3000 new cases) and Belgium (700 new cases).... I wonder if we are, in fact, seeing herd immunity.

Bad news: UK is delaying reopening a lot of businesses, and delaying the 30-person limit for weddings. I'm feeling very badly for anyone due to be married in the next few weeks. :(

MacMadame

Staying at home
Besides being vile, it was just stupid. It's not as if crud was ONLY in NY and California. Of course, now it's exploding in the South and West but it was always around, there were always cases and deaths. How could they really think that this crud is just going to stay in NY and California? I mean, really.
The part that upsets me is that doing something for a political reason was considered no big deal. They are supposed to be governing the ENTIRE COUNTRY, not just red states.

I've been having the hardest time following what is going on in Umatilla County
Does the county have some sort of C19 website? That's what I use when the news articles are confusing or incomplete.

in fact a few weeks ago a court ruled that casuals who worked a consistent number of hours each week should be entitled to leave as they are being used like permanent part-timers/full-timers without the security.
You know what that mean, right? Employers will start mixing up their shifts and giving them occasional weeks of little hours so that there is no pattern of consistency.

At least that's what happened in the US.

Here we use the term casual too but mostly in news reports and various articles. Most people don't use it in casual conversation. They will say temporary or PT.

Gig economy is definitely something else as you noted. Gig economy is when people set their own hours and get paid by the job.

Cinemas are opened here in Toronto and I plan on going next week! Going to the movies can’t be more risky than taking the bus several times a day.
I would take a bus before I went to the movies. You are going to be indoors for at least 2 hours sharing air with the same people at the movies.

With a bus, people get off and on, and also you can open a window and get more circulation. (I also never take the bus if I'm going to be on it for more than 45-60 minutes but that's not about C19 but about making the bus vs. car decision.)

If cases are down and you trust your government not to open up unsafely, then I would maybe go to the movies. At some point, cases are down low enough that contact tracing can work and the risk is minimal. Unfortunately, here in the US (a) I don't trust the government in every locale to make smart decisions based on science and (b) cases are nowhere near down enough.

ballettmaus

Good news: Sweden's numbers are fantastic this week. Three consecutive days with no deaths, just a handful of total deaths this week, only ~40 new cases today, and only 40 serious cases in the entire country. It's a stark contrast to the numbers in places like Spain (3000 new cases) and Belgium (700 new cases).... I wonder if we are, in fact, seeing herd immunity.
Between 6% and 10% of Sweden's population have antibodies.

Even if you add another 10% for cases they may have missed, that's nowhere near the 60%-70% that's needed for herd immunity. (If herd immunity is even achievable which we still don't).

It sounds like the Swedish are doing well with physical distancing and it's summer. They probably have a lot of open windows and doors and are probably spending a lot of time outdoors right now which would reduce the risk of infection significantly.

once_upon

New condo owner
One of the outdoor restaurant/bar that we went to a couple of weeks ago closed last Friday. We found on their website that they closed because a staff member had *********. They quarantined their staff for 2 weeks. Rather than pull staff from other locations they chose to completely shut down. I suspect they may have some PPP funds that the could use to pay staff or temp unemployed.

My guess masks will be required for staff by the establishment, they previously hadn't been. We alway maintained a good distance and slattered hand sanitizer and wore masks except eating/drinking.

Another place that had a large patio dining area lost their lease, and also said the building had some structural issues making it hard to function with changes. They always had good business pre shut down so hopefully they can find a new space.

manhn

British Columbia: 50 new cases (5 of them are epi-linked). Still a big increase from the last few days, it appears to be due to the ongoing outbreak at the Abbotsford Berry Packing Plant. One additional death. Very small hospital numbers. This long weekend will be a test...

Last edited:

once_upon

New condo owner
6 new deaths in the county. 93 new cases.

No mask mandate as Ricketts Attorney General says not legal to mandate. :(

Republicans are going to kill us.

Dobre

******** in Oregon: 373 new cases, six deaths as governor reinstates restrictions for two counties

Oregon State University researchers came out and tested residents--I think random residents--in the city of Hermiston in Umatilla County last weekend as part of their statewide study. They believe that 17% of the city's population is currently infected.
:yikes:

Portland, Oregon, protests relatively calm after US drawdown

******** California: state sees record number of deaths on four separate days

Nevada sees record one-day jump in *********-19 deaths
-The unemployment rate in Nevada this week is 24.9%.

*********-19 Cases Spike in Texas Daycare, Will Classrooms Be Next?

"Numbers from the Texas Department of State Health Services obtained by NBC 5 Investigates showed that cases connected to daycares have exploded, from 817 cases at the end of June to 2,810 cases today, the final day of July.

About two-thirds of those cases are children, the rest staff, NBC 5 Investigates has learned.

At least 1,678 different child care centers have seen at least one case."

'We're dying here,' Florida newspaper says in pleading with governor to issue a statewide mask mandate

Florida juggles hurricane, ******** *********, bitter politics

Georgia: Several of us posted about the YMCA overnight camp in Georgia with the ********* outbreak. Apparently someone did a study on it. The final positive test count tally from the camp turned out to be 260 people out of 597 after 4 days of camp.

Here is the report: https://tinyurl.com/yxr6rz4u

Here is the Washington Post article about the report: https://tinyurl.com/y2zbj9rq

Meanwhile . . .

Schools in bucolic North Georgia town opened Friday, masks optional
:

‘Surge beds’: ***** patients to be sent to giant Georgia convention center

Masks will now be required for everyone inside a public school facility in South Carolina

Idaho, which is currently experience a test shortage, has @4 major health provider organizations working together at an attempt to multiply their current testing capacity.

Hawaii sees another triple-digit jump in new ******** infections:cry:

Anchorage will halt indoor service at restaurants and bars, shrink gathering size limits starting Monday

Last edited:

acraven

I walked past my neighborhood supermarket (a Safeway) just now, and there's a sandwich board out front advertising flu shots. I wasn't expecting them to be available quite this early.

once_upon

New condo owner
I would ask if it is the 2020 vaccine or 2019. My pharmacy will still do flu shots and do advertise that in their stores.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Today's St. Louis Cardinals/Milwaukee Brewers game has been postponed because more staff and players on the Cardinals team have tested positive. If I'm keeping the numbers straight and the rumors accurate, it's 3 players and 3 staff members all told.

Meanwhile, the 20 Miami Marlins players and staff who have tested positive are taking a bus from Philadelphia to Miami (gleefully declared to be 1000 miles by those who enjoy the suffering of others). I hope the bus driver has antibodies, because I don't think a mask and social distancing and lots of hand washing would really be enough.

MsZem

Meanwhile, the 20 Miami Marlins players and staff who have tested positive are taking a bus from Philadelphia to Miami (gleefully declared to be 1000 miles by those who enjoy the suffering of others). I hope the bus driver has antibodies, because I don't think a mask and social distancing and lots of hand washing would really be enough.
That at least suggests that none of them are seriously sick, or the organization wouldn't send them home - certainly not by bus.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Hmmmm...did you not see any of those movies where the ********* starts in a movie theater when someone sneezes?

once_upon

New condo owner
Denial is not just a river in Egypt. And those protesters must watch/read a lot of right wing American TV/papers

Susan1

Ohio 8/1 -

Cases - 92,087 / 24 hours - 928 / 21 day average - 1,327
Hospitalized - 10,857 / 67 / 99
ICU - 2,557 / 5 / 18

Deaths - 3,515 / 26 / 23

It's a Saturday, but all of the 24 hour data (middle numbers above) is way down from Friday, which was:
Cases - 1,533
Hospital - 112
ICU - 18
Deaths - 47 (highest yet)

Testing as of 7/30 - 23,264 tests - 5.7 positivity
Total - 1,488,034 / 7 day moving average 5.9

Today -
Still in Hospital - 1,049 / ICU - 340 / Vent - 188

New part of chart I accidentally scrolled down to - Capacity as of 8/1
(I don't know how long it's been here, or remember DeWine mentioning it. He shows things and then moves along. Dr. Acton would have explained it.)

Under Inpatient Beds - it has a bar chart with:
Blue is c.v. patients - 1,047 (4% of total beds)
Red is NON c.v. patients - 16,465 (67% of total beds)
Gray is available beds - 7,148 (29% of total beds)
So, I am going to go out on a limb here and say Ohio has 24,660 regular beds? (The percentages were on the charts. The totals are mine.)

Then a bar chart for ICU beds:
c.v. - 340 (7.98) / non - 2,541 (59.61) / available - 1,382 (32.42) = 4,263 ICU beds

And a bar chart for ventilator capacity:
c.v. - 188 (3.66) / non - 1,150 (22.40%) / available - 3,795 (73.9%) = 5,133 ventilators

The bars start at 7/19 and it is all pretty consistent across. The c.v. patients of inpatient beds is 4-5% throughout the 2 weeks. And available beds is between 25-30%. Wondering what the capacity is for these things during normal times.

Ventilator use for c.v. patients is between 3-4% across, and availability of all ventilators is around 75% across.

Can I knock on wood that looks good compared to so many other states. No jinxing!!! I guess we will be ready for a surge.

It does say hospitalizations are only 12% of cases. And 34,084 of the cases are in their 20s and 30s (37%), but those age groups only account for 12% (1,292) of the hospitalizations.

26,964 of all cases are in their 50s and 60s (29%).
The highest age group of hospitalized people, 2,318 (21%), is 60s. Next it goes 70s, then 80s, then 50s.

My calculator and eyes need to take a nap now.

Dobre

I can't remember who/where the post was asking about what the quarantine protocol was in the Indiana middle school where they had a positive case identified on the first day of school, but here is the information:

"Anyone who was within six feet of the student for more than 15 minutes on Thursday was instructed to isolate themselves for two weeks, Mr. Olin said. He would not give a specific number of people who were affected at the school, but he said no teachers or staff members were identified as close contacts, and therefore none have been told to quarantine."

If I were a teacher of this student--whose parents seem to have decided to send their child to school after some form of exposure & having said child tested but not having waited for results--I would feel oh-so-great about returning to the classroom with all the kids that were just beyond 6 ft. from said student or only within 6 ft. of said student for ten minutes instead of 15 the day before:rolleyes:.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I walked past my neighborhood supermarket (a Safeway) just now, and there's a sandwich board out front advertising flu shots. I wasn't expecting them to be available quite this early.
I was at my local drugstore yesterday and they had a sign that they had the 2020 flu shot too. I think I'll wait until my GP's practice starts their flu clinic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 14, Guests: 9)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information