News & Experiences continued

Dobre

Tyson Foods adopts weekly ******** testing for workers

(y)I think this needs to happen across the essential food industry.

"Tyson Foods is launching weekly on-site ******** testing for employees at all 140 of its U.S. production facilities, making it one of the first major American employers to commit to such regular and expansive testing of its workforce."

Cachoo

Herman Cain has died of CV19.

He attended Trump's Tulsa rally.

MSNBC
@MSNBC

BREAKING: Businessman and former US presidential candidate Herman Cain has died at age 74 after battling ********, according to a statement on his website. "Herman Cain has gone to be with the Lord."
Here's the thing: We see young folks out at night clubs and being irresponsible and I don't like it but they are young and sometimes children do foolish things. And Cain had the choice to stay home and did not and I feel badly for him and his family. What I find unforgivable is that this was for an event that the President of the United States needed for his fragile ego, no matter what the cost. And whether Cain was exposed at the rally in Tulsa or the rally in Arizona he is dead of ********* for what??????? Trump is a national disgrace.

Susan1

Just a quicky before my Ohio report because this jumped out at me as I was scrolling -
Re: Andrea Bocelli, you have one of the most respected Italians testifying in front of Parliament and the whole country that he believes lockdown restrictions were too severe, humiliating, offensive, and a bunch of other choice words.
Until he or someone he knows ends up in the ICU or dies, huh?

once_upon

Voter
Myocarditis with your YKW anyone?

Yes. I've also seen data about kidney disease and lung function, development of life threatening allergies,, reproductive system issues, neurological issues even if you have very mild disease.

This ***** seems to attack all body systems.

Susan1

Man, I turned the t.v. on at 2:00 and President Obama was speaking. I was hoping DeWine would be late, but no, about 2:05.

First thing, did any other Ohioans post about the Ohio pharmacy board banning hydroxychloroquine a couple days ago? DeWine folded like a cheap trump lawn chair (I hate putting his name in my favorite saying) and had them reverse it, pending study. Wimp. Later in the questions, he was asked why, when he is so adamant about mask wearing. He said he wasn't a doctor or scientist and there was quite a difference between something that has been proven to work overwhelmingly (masks) and something that has had some positive and some negative results and needs further study by medical and pharmacy boards. That is between a doctor and patient. So, we'll see.

Cases - 89,626 / 24 hour - 1,733 (highest to date)/ 21 day average - 1,347
Hosp - 10,678 / 125 / 100
ICU - 2,534 / 21 / 18
Deaths - 3,442 / 20 /21

Testing as of 7/28 - 6.1% positivity. (Montgomery county pop-ups have 5.6%)

Currently in hospital - 1,049 - slightly down for second straight day
ICU - 319 - also slightly down for second straight day
On Vent - 184 - slightly up (still don't know, does this mean people already counted as in the hospital or ICU had to go on the vent)
Fewer ER visits for the c.v.

Levels map - Red counties - 13, down from 23. That just means that one of the indicators might not be as high as it was. (Me - certainly not that things are getting better, I think all "cases" are up.) Suburban counties that have been wearing MASKS longer (last week's Red?) have had a significant decrease in new cases. But there are more Orange cases from more rural counties that were Yellow, who did not have a mask mandate. (So there.) Allen County no longer has a star (bordering on purple). Cases increased, but other indicators are down.

The 13 counties that are Red have 44% of the population.
The 23 counties that are Yellow have 12% of the population.
The 52 counties that are Orange have 44% of the population.

He went through the indicators for most of the Red counties and what activity was noted. I just wrote down a couple interesting ones: Henry county, where they had the outbreak from a winery event mentioned last week, 70-80 people attended, but when they did the contact tracing they came up with 90 people because of secondary spread, that bled into five other counties - SO FAR.

And Montgomery county (me) - 5 of the 7 indicators still; 147 people per 100K (Red cutoff is 100); One person spread to six family members, 4 are hospitalized, 1 died. Different case - An 18 year old is taking care of her two siblings because the mother is in the hospital.

Tuscarawas (I had to copy that over cause I couldn't even spell it after I looked at it), in the northeast - 11 people went on a canoe trip, 9 got sick, spread to three other counties.

He mentioned Union, Clark (cattycorner to us and was only Red one week), Delaware and Defiance counties that are now Orange were doing such a good job with masks and following guidelines.

Lots of bar stuff - most doing a phenomenal job. These are not normal times. People either go to bars and stay for a long time or "barhop" (my word). And, duh. A female spent all evening "visiting bars around a college", went home 2-1/2 hours away and started feeling sick. Her friends, parents, grandparents and brother are all sick now. (me - contact trace "bars around a college"?)

Asking Ohio Liquor Control Board for an emergency rule - no sales after 10 and no drinking after 11 (all places, including restaurants, who serve alcohol), to help thin out the crowd. Carry-out alcohol with food will go from 2 to 3 drinks each meal. (Geez, is Ohio full of alcoholics? It's cheaper to buy bottles and mix drinks at home. I know, the bars need the income. But who has to have three alcoholic drinks with a meal?) Meeting at 9 a.m. tomorrow. If approved will go into effect tomorrow (Friday) night. So, people will order a couple pitchers at 9:55, drink it by 11:00 and all hop into the same car with your designated driver? Food is still served till closing. (I'm not anti-alcohol. I USED to have fun.)

They consolidated the mass gathering Orders and Recommendations into one place. They are per local and state health departments. Gatherings should still be 10 or less and include only close friends and family. Residents of Red counties should not host or attend any gatherings. Then all the usual - distancing, masks, outside, extra precautions at bars. Now we have protect any high risk individuals by wearing masks in your home, and limit contact with people not in your "tribe".

Questions - first one - guess who. He said his name, and DeWine actually laughed. He did his usual long winded jackassiness. I couldn't write it all down. Something about the obnoxious Red Cross question last week? (time out - turning up Mandolin Wind -. . . . . .speaking of longwindedness - I have that album, are they sneaking in my house, I say that so much? And I made a "mix tape" with a Rod section on it, and had that transferred to CD. So that's three different things that I don't have anything to play anything on. If I won the lottery, I would buy one of those things that looks like an old fashioned radio that has a record player and tape player and CD player and radio and records to and from all of them. They used to be $200 at Bed Bath and Beyond, which we don't have anymore either.)

So, something about NPR and doctors said that "testing, tracing, quarantining and masks don't work". WTH? And "When will we shift from preventing cases to promoting health?". Now we are in WTF territory. How does DeWine not explode. He went over the same usual stuff. And we saw the curve flatten. And the method of intersecting goes back hundreds and hundreds of years. Leaving WTF territory to "I have no more words for this" - "Jack" said "So there's no other game plan other than what we are doing now?" (I'm very glad they are in another room and I couldn’t throw something at his face and break my t.v. I wish the other reporters would beat him up.) DeWine said the usual and "if there's any other way, I'd love to hear it." He should have said if you think you are so damn smart, why don't you tell us exactly what to do to keep people from getting sick and dying. He did not.

A reporter wants to know the percentages of how people get infected from contact tracing. (Geez, again. He gives examples of outbreaks every week. What does she want, a completed spreadsheet? Column B birthday parties, Column C church, etc. Column X - people who knew someone who knew someone who went to a birthday party.) There are 113 health departments. He would love nothing more than for you (her) to tell the stories. They'll dig into it and give a report on Tuesday. And you still won't be satisfied (me, there).

Unemployment fraud and why is it taking so long for people to get paid? federal law requires verification on a case by case basis. (Me-maybe these people he is so concerned about should be prepared with all of their information. What are they trying to hide?)

If people can go to the store, why can't kids go to actual school. Schools make their own community decisions. Some are all virtual, some are a combination. Some parents get to make a decision. "Duh" - every briefing - (me again). (p.s. Middletown schools just cancelled all extracurricular activities today.) No easy answers. "The decision may be taken over by the vi-rus." Yikes.

What does he want in the new stimulus package? More money for testing and tracing. We did ~25K yesterday, need more. More flexibility on how the money is spent. Funding for the National Guard to continue helping. (I said "good boy". And then it got better.)

trump wants to delay the election? DeWine shook his head. Do you? NO! Ohio has great experience with absentee and early (28 days of) voting. No reason to think the election can't be held normally. Delaying the election is not something the president can do. (p.s I saw a meme on FB that if the election is delayed Nancy Pelosi becomes president by default on January 20. Don't know if that's true, but I'd like to see it happen.)

Double that fun next - what do you say to people who think mail-in voting will cause the election to be rigged. Ohio knows how to do a responsible job with no-excuse-needed absentee voting and early voting. And then he figuratively flipped trump off. "I am convinced it can't be rigged". We need to be vigilant. That's built into the system.

The last question was about Householder voted out today/the house bill/dark money, so whatever. I was afraid the whole thing would be about that. Maybe they were warned.

And he always ends with an inspirational video. This was Dale Earnhardt, Jr. - about safety. No confederate flag hat.

Dobre

Philadelphia Phillies Put Brakes On Home Games After ******** Cases

"Now the Phillies are dealing with the *****.

In a statement, the team said a member of the coaching staff and a member of the home clubhouse staff were positive after being tested Wednesday. No players tested positive for the ********. The team said it's canceling all activity at Citizens Bank Park until further notice."

once_upon

Voter
Well at least Dr Fauci got to throw the first pitch of the season.

One of the school districts (a smaller one) here canceled sports training for all sports because a student tested positive.

canbelto

This is the part that makes me see red:

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the ***** had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.
Besides being vile, it was just stupid. It's not as if crud was ONLY in NY and California. Of course, now it's exploding in the South and West but it was always around, there were always cases and deaths. How could they really think that this crud is just going to stay in NY and California? I mean, really.

Dobre

Michelle Bolsonaro, Brazil's First Lady, Tests Positive For ********

Wisconsin governor orders masks statewide amid ***** surge

'Have some decency': North Idaho burger joints frustrated by rude customers

Hawaii sees 124 new ******** cases in a single day, another record high

As infections soar, *********-19 is hitting one ethnic group (Micronesians) in Hawaii particularly hard

Anchorage mayor seeks more targeted measures as health officials recommend that city prepare for return to ‘hunker down’

Montana: 116 workers at Big Sky construction site test positive

Several articles in different states today worrying about evictions in the near future if new federal funding for unemployed workers is not approved.

Dobre

I've been having the hardest time following what is going on in Umatilla County (because their local paper is doing a crummy job covering the ***** in the county). I read in a non-local paper that they had been moved down to Phase 1. There was nothing in the local paper about it as far as I could tell, and then I read in another article from elsewhere that Umatilla County was still in Phase 2. Plus today the county was listed as just on the watch list for Phase 2 in a recent statewide map. So . . . I was starting to wonder if somehow the first article was completely wrong. (It included quotes from an official in the county).

But today I just stumbled on a friend's Facebook post of a letter from the governor telling Umatilla County their data has been analyzed & they are being reassigned to Stay Home, Stay Safe mode.

So nyet on Phase 1 or Phase 2 for at least 21 days. The Oregon Health Authority is sending more resources to the county. They really need it. Their number of new cases this week are the worst in the state, and they have nowhere near the population as the counties in the metro area. Deaths have also really risen there, probably in part because the ***** has now hit 2-3 care facilities, with over 50 cases at one of them.:cry: Walmart & the Walmart distribution center also both have outbreaks. Multiple food plants. And there are outbreaks in two health care facilities. The main hospital system had been taken off the list after 30 days without cases, but now it has new cases.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Re: Andrea Bocelli, you have one of the most respected Italians testifying in front of Parliament and the whole country that he believes lockdown restrictions were too severe, humiliating, offensive, and a bunch of other choice words. Several political parties agree with the stance (and of course one trotted him out there). People are acting like lockdown was universally supported in in Italy when it was far from the case.

I don't see how masks indoors, one meter of social distancing, and crowd restrictions (200 indoors / 1000 outdoors) is black or white. It's absolutely in between. It is simple, specific, actionable, and does not play favorites - in stark contrast to most of the restrictions in the US.

Except it's not at all under control in places like Spain and Belgium. Lockdown might work in a place like New Zealand, which can caught the ***** early, closed its borders indefinitely, and is using actual military-enforced quarantine, but it's not working in regions that don't have those factors.

People are acting like this is a foolproof strategy, but at best it's a mixed bag. These countries have not beaten the ***** any more than Sweden has.

There is broad enough support for these rules that enforcement is possible. We all have to compromise, but compromise (especially quick compromise) is far easier to achieve when you can find a solution with a vast majority is at least OK with. Looking at US politics, Brexit, or anything else split 50-50, you're not going to get quick compromise, and you're not going to get compliance. God knows I'm no epidemiologist, but it sure seems to me (and I've read a few articles from epidemiologists that say similar things) that workable solutions with high levels of compliance are better than pie-in-the-sky ones with low levels of compliance....

And, as pointed out at least 100 times, even if you subtract out all of the "suspected" but not confirmed deaths, Belgium still has one of the highest to the highest rates of *********-19 cases and deaths in the world. This claim is largely fake news. All countries have counting issues, and Belgium's are not so severe as to substantially change its status as the worst country in Europe, despite lockdown.
Everything in that article proves my point so colour me confused how you can read anything else out of it.

i just read that one quarter of the infected people in Victoria Australia does not stay in quarantine but they continue to go out, even to work 😱

now I am not surprised anymore why Australia does not come to battle the ykw. This is insane

Immortelle

Everything in that article proves my point so colour me confused how you can read anything else out of it.

i just read that one quarter of the infected people in Victoria Australia does not stay in quarantine but they continue to go out, even to work 😱

now I am not surprised anymore why Australia does not come to battle the ykw. This is insane
Most of us in Australia are doing the right thing??? We ARE fighting!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The Orange Fcukface claims Australia has "tremendous problems".

Yeah, we got problems, but thank every deity that any human has ever prayed to, you're not one of them.

Last edited:

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Most of us in Australia are doing the right thing??? We ARE fighting!
Yes. And that is why these idiots make me very very mad. I wondererd about why it is so hard to control it. Australia and New Zealand seem perfect on paper to get it under control. Not densely populated. Many things outdoor. Island.
but if you have so many idiots among you it does not matter that the rest is doing their very best :-(

Immortelle

Yes. And that is why these idiots make me very very mad. I wondererd about why it is so hard to control it. Australia and New Zealand seem perfect on paper to get it under control. Not densely populated. Many things outdoor. Island.
but if you have so many idiots among you it does not matter that the rest is doing their very best :-(
People travel a lot within Australia. I drove 110kms each way today for work. Yes we might be sparsely populated overall but we are comparatively densely populated in the south east. Melbourne CBD and the inner suburbs are quite tightly packed, similar to a British city. People travel long distances from outer regions to work in the city because it’s cheaper to live there.

Please don’t call these people idiots. It’s a sweeping generalisation. Many of them are victims of a casualised workforce who get no pay if they don’t work. They know they should isolate but they have to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads. So they cross their fingers and go to work.

The government is offering paid ********* leave and hardship payments so hopefully it will reduce the case numbers but you’re only getting half the picture.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I find the behavior idiotic. People across the globe struggle with the same problems. If 25% of the people who are supposed to be in quarantine because they tested positive dont stay put then the country will never get the problem under control and everyone will suffer much more.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
A large part of the problem in Melbourne now is also the issue of the mass casualisation of the workforce.

Casuals don't get sick leave. If they don't go to work, they don't get paid. And so many mass-casual industries and large companies are so toxic that if you call in sick, they just don't give you any more shifts.

So for a lot of people, it's a choice between going to work while sick or not having a job anymore, not being able to pay rent, not being able to pay for food...the $1500 payment from the government is a start but overlooks the fact that a lot of these companies just simply won't put you back on the roster after you've been off.

One of the main issues right now is that the party in power at the Federal level is the Liberal-Nationals coalition, who are Australia's right-wing party, and they hate anything to do with worker's rights and are happy to make the workforce so casual, so they're not going to do anything to fix it. They also want to turn our health care system into a copy of America's, which, no. Scummo has been licking Trump's boots the whole time.

antmanb

Well my city in the UK (Manchester) has had some restrictions put back in place. You can't mix households indoors or in your garden. But pubs, restaurants and gyms remain open and you don't have to wear masks to be in any of those three places. :rolleyes: The numbers have gone up, it quite clearly corresponds with the reopening of pubs where there are multiple daily reports showing that people aren't distancing in pubs, have a few drinks and end up hugging and singing. But instead of locking down pubs, instead it is households being unable to see each other in their own gardens.

Eyebrows have been raised because the northwest guidelines specifically references Eid. But pubs, restaurants and gyms remain open.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
People travel a lot within Australia. I drove 110kms each way today for work. Yes we might be sparsely populated overall but we are comparatively densely populated in the south east. Melbourne CBD and the inner suburbs are quite tightly packed, similar to a British city. People travel long distances from outer regions to work in the city because it’s cheaper to live there.

Please don’t call these people idiots. It’s a sweeping generalisation. Many of them are victims of a casualised workforce who get no pay if they don’t work. They know they should isolate but they have to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads. So they cross their fingers and go to work.

The government is offering paid ********* leave and hardship payments so hopefully it will reduce the case numbers but you’re only getting half the picture.
So, @Immortelle and @misskarne, your "casualisation" is equivalent to what people in other countries refer to as "temporary workforce" or "gig economy"?

Immortelle

So, @Immortelle and @misskarne, your "casualisation" is equivalent to what people in other countries refer to as "temporary workforce" or "gig economy"?
Yes, that’s right.
We have a government that takes its labour and fiscal policy inspiration from Thatcher and Reagan.
I’m lucky. I’m a “locum” but a permanent employee. All the other locums at my company bar one have lost their jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 21)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information