News & Experiences continued

Susan1

Cross-posting from the baseball thread... another day, another Marlins player testing positive.
The good news: no positive tests for any of the other teams at this time.
The Cubs played at Cincinnati today. 2 days ago -

MsZem

The Cubs played at Cincinnati today. 2 days ago -
They're fine.
But you're right, someone from another organization that did not have contact with the Marlins has indeed tested positive.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
The Swedish model is the only way. Lockdowns must be taken off the table. Basic human rights must be guaranteed. Otherwise, this is just going to continue.
I do not think you will find “going out to restaurants/bars/club”, “going on holidays” etc in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, but you keep throwing your childish hissy fits about doing what is best for public health.

once_upon

Voter
A summary of what is going on with the US economy according to the Feds:

I do not think you will find “going out to restaurants/bars/club”, “going on holidays” etc in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, but you keep throwing your childish hissy fits about doing what is best for public health.
I think @MacMadame links shows how society doesn't hold onto the "get out, bars,, vacations, and spend money" as number of C-19 cases increase again. I know our activities will decrease again when cooler weather returns in mid to late October. Right now we only go out to sparsely populated outside dining only.

I have spent more in the last three weeks - some tops for me, masks for grandkids and us, more alcohol and groceries, granddaughters birthday. I have 2 birthdays in August.

The prolonged self imposed stay at home is affecting me. I miss my grandchildren immensely but we did go see our oldest grandson masked and distancing on Saturday. Only to find out he had been in contact with several family members who tested positive. So no matter how tight your bubble is, it depends on how tight their bubbles are.

Maybe some want to sacrifice their family or them in the abstract.

Immortelle

After yesterday’s news from Brisbane, I am STILL the only person in this train carriage wearing a mask.

And I want to know how those little madams got from Logan to South Bank (about 35km). If they caught a train, as a lot do to there, the public should know.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
17 Florida doctors test positive after attending a private party.

As novel ******** cases in Florida continue to surge, surpassing 451,000, nearly 20 health workers from the anesthesiology department at the University of Florida Health (UF Health) have contracted the ***** after reportedly attending a private party.

The infected individuals, which included 16 residents and a fellow, were said to have tested positive after reportedly attending a party held at a home earlier this month, according to hospital officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because reportedly UF Health prohibits employees from speaking to the press without prior authorization, Florida's WUSF radio station reported.

manhn

British Columbia: 41 new cases, due to the already existing outbreaks in Haida Gwaii (20!) and the Abbotsford blueberry packing plant (31). No additional deaths.

Only 6(!) people in hospital, 2 of whom are in ICU.

once_upon

Voter
Three new deaths in my county - a man in his 20's and 2 women in their 80's. 121 new cases.

I know of one family with three positive members 44, 39 and 14

once_upon

Voter
My oldest son's mother in law died last week. My grandchildren spent lots of time playing with their cousins whose parents don't socially distance.
So my oldest granddaughter told me they are self isolating for a few days to see if they develop symptoms.
Another new new reality for our kids. Watching out for symptoms.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
After yesterday’s news from Brisbane, I am STILL the only person in this train carriage wearing a mask.

And I want to know how those little madams got from Logan to South Bank (about 35km). If they caught a train, as a lot do to there, the public should know.
Apparently they are refusing to provide complete information. Evil fcuking bitches.

Also, we celebrated too soon on Victoria. Premier Andrews is apparently going to announce over 700 new cases today at his daily briefing.

We can't wait anymore. Complete shutdown is needed NOW.

Immortelle

Apparently they are refusing to provide complete information. Evil fcuking bitches.

Also, we celebrated too soon on Victoria. Premier Andrews is apparently going to announce over 700 new cases today at his daily briefing.

We can't wait anymore. Complete shutdown is needed NOW.
723 cases in Victoria today, 13 deaths 🙁

Last edited:

Susan1

From the 10:00 news -

Cases - 87,893 / 24 hour - 1,396 / 21 day average - 1,320
Deaths - 3,422 / 24 hour - 40 / 21 day average - 21

1,122 people in the hospital (the same as it was in April, mostly from parties and gatherings)
358 in ICU
174 on vents

Miami Valley Hospital said they have enough beds right now, but are preparing for a surge.

Dayton city schools will do the first 9 weeks online only. They will get Chromebooks and have designated hot spots for people without internet access. There will be live teachers and attendance will be taken. If they are not online, the truancy office will be contacted. Yeah, they will be "online" for school, but playing with their phones and watching t.v. and eating snacks at the same time.

The curb painting people never showed up.

Dobre

'The hotspot of a hotspot of a hotspot': ******** takes heavy toll in south Texas
(Another Latino community devastated by this disease).

California and Florida hit new daily record high ******** deaths

Arizona parents asked to sign *********-19 waivers before sending kids back to school

Idaho Sets National Records For Cases Per Hospital Bed As Deaths Surge
(This is actually a lengthy & well-done interview with the CEO of St. Luke's Health System and two other health experts in Idaho. I hope a lot of people there read it. I read quite a bit, but didn't actually find a quote citing the information in the title. However, I did read here that Idaho has some full ICUs that have had to transport cases to other hospitals, and hospitals have also reached the point where they are having to delay some non-********* procedures).

SC governor orders mask wearing in many situations, reopens more businesses

South Carolina State Fair becomes two day drive-thru event due to *********-19

Hawaii: After 109 new cases in a single day, state considers reinstating some *********-19 mandates

https://tinyurl.com/y5ax7aqm
(Hawaii had test delays the last couple days due to the hurricane. The delayed test results are coming in now. 98 cases were on Oahu).

******** cases among children rise in North Carolina
"13,084 individuals under the age of 17 have tested positive for *********-19 in the state"

Trump administration *********-19 task force urges Alaska to require masks for seafood plants and hot spots

Montana had 201 cases today.

Dobre

I found another source about Idaho's hospital bed shortage:

It says that Boise has 5 cases per bed (and Yakima, WA has 7). I'm kind of shocked to hear this about Boise, as one of my main impressions driving through the city a few years ago was that there seemed to be a lot of billboards for a lot of health care facilities. (Also Boise normally provides medical staff to do cancer screenings clear into North Central Oregon). So I don't think this is a case of a small city with an underdeveloped health care system. Maybe, though, of the Boise area having a high concentration of the people diagnosed in Idaho.

Northam, U.S. senators ask for CDC’s help with *********-19 outbreak at immigrant detention center

"The outbreak at the Farmville Detention Center is the largest at any such facility in the country, with 262 undocumented immigrants there being monitored after testing positive for the ********, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement."

262 cases among a population of 400:(.

Louis

Private citizen
How about:
1) access to sunshine
2) exercise
3) seeing a limited amount of other people, including spouses
all of which were forbidden under many lockdowns, including Spain's. If prisoners were denied these rights, "do-gooders" would have been up in arms four short months ago. Yet, all of a sudden, we're expected to believe that this is a normal way to live and a normal use of government power. People have been gaslit by governments and media.

I think I'm one of the more reasonable anti-lockdown voices: I wear a mask, comply with distancing, and am willing to follow most of the new rules, even where science is questionable.

The "lockdown police" refuse to acknowledge the societal harm they've caused, the lack of trust they've created, or their own contribution to the polarized culture we're now experiencing. At this point, I think it will take tanks and bullets to enforce any further lockdowns.

If you really care about public health, you'll focus on rebuilding people's mental health and reestablishing societal trust. And, yes, part of that does include holidays, restaurants, etc. People who live in constant stress and fear and feel they cannot trust the government are not going to make the right decisions for themselves or for others.

allezfred

Staff member
Yet, all of a sudden, we're expected to believe that this is a normal way to live and a normal use of government power.
This is not a f*cking normal time in case you hadn’t noticed.

I think you have the impression that some of us enjoy being locked down like this. Believe it or not I would also love to see family and friends or go on holiday. However preventing other people from unnecessary death and illness is much more important and should be to anyone who is not a sociopath.

Louis

Private citizen
This is not a f*cking normal time in case you hadn’t noticed.

I think you have the impression that some of us enjoy being locked down like this. Believe it or not I would also love to see family and friends or go on holiday. However preventing other people from unnecessary death and illness is much more important and should be to anyone who is not a sociopath.
Continued lockdown isn't preventing any death or illness; in fact, it's likely causing more, and it's not achieving any of the purported benefits because people are not complying. I question whether the original lockdown will end up having any benefits: in places like the U.S., Spain, and Belgium, there seems to be a post-traumatic lockdown syndrome that results in wild, dangerous activity as soon as restrictions are lifted. Many people are rightfully frustrated that lockdown was all for nothing. Sadly it was entirely predictable (to some of us) that it was always going to be this way because people are people, not microbes. This is the problem when we let people who study droplets in labs dictate public policy.

Most of the world has two choices:
1) a Swedish-like model with sustainable restrictions that balance epidemiology and human behavior
2) a military state

New Zealand and a few other places have a third choice:
3) remain in a very restricted bubble until a vaccine is found

If you really want to prevent unnecessary death and illness, then focus on finding a sustainable path forward built on trust, compromise, and compliance, v. totalitarian, traumatic restrictions that have zero chance of adoption or success.

MsZem

This thread is Groundhog Day but not as fun. Of course, the same can be said for life with COVlD-19 in general.

I try to stay optimistic because there are so many experts working on better understanding the disease and ways to prevent/treat/mitigate it. We're certainly in a better position than we were in March, and hopefully we'll be in a better place by the end of the year, too. And maybe we'll have some regional/national competitions to discuss between now and then :)

allezfred

Staff member
Oh, I do love your new user title, @allezfred!
Have had it for quite a while, but thanks. :lol:

Most of the world has two choices:
1) a Swedish-like model with sustainable restrictions that balance epidemiology and human behavior
2) a military state
Since you’re in Italy right now, how about you go to a hospital there and tell the doctors and nurses that you believe the Italian authorities should have put zero restrictions in place to prevent the spread of the *****. I would LOVE to hear the responses you would get.

Louis

Private citizen
76% of CA say "go back to lockdown now" Louis: it's going to take tanks to get people back to lockdown now.
How are you going to get the remaining 24% of people to comply? We're not talking about a small number of people.

Since you’re in Italy right now, how about you go to a hospital there and tell the doctors and nurses that you believe the Italian authorities should have put zero restrictions in place to prevent the spread of the *****. I would LOVE to hear the responses you would get.
Nobody has said zero restrictions. But Italy is having a sensible discussion around this topic in Parliament right now, with many people (including Andrea Bocelli) expressing criticism over the extent of the restrictions.

Italy is also reopening at a fairly aggressive rate, including promotions to encourage tourism, reopening opera and theatre (been to both), etc.

Schools are also fully reopening. Many Italian people are quite upset at the school restrictions, which involve masks, shields, and limited socializing. (I think they're sensible.)

The situation in Italy does not match the narrative in the non-Italian media.

Louis

Private citizen
Flipping the statistics in this article:
46% of Americans do not agree that bars and restaurants should have to close.
47% of Americans do not agree that people should be made to stay in their homes unless on essential errands
34% of Americans do not support measures requiring gatherings to be limited to 10 people

These are not small numbers of people. People are not changing their minds en masse. There is no realistic way to enforce compliance when society is this divided, short of military intervention. Which would be the height of hypocrisy, given the criticisms of Trump right now.

antmanb

Nobody has said zero restrictions. But Italy is having a sensible discussion around this topic in Parliament right now, with many people (including Andrea Bocelli) expressing criticism over the extent of the restrictions.
:confused: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: well if esteemed and well regarded epidemiologist Andrea Bocelli thinks the restrictions went overboard then we should all fall in line behind his views.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm sure that when the second wave hits Italy Louis will pack his privileged ass up and flounce off to some other location as a member of the work from home elite, complaining all the while about his lack of freedumb.

Susan1

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
These are not small numbers of people. People are not changing their minds en masse. There is no realistic way to enforce compliance when society is this divided, short of military intervention. Which would be the height of hypocrisy, given the criticisms of Trump right now.
You know, I don't agree with a lot of things the government does, but I have yet to be forced at gunpoint.

Just because people do not agree does not mean they are going to revolt. Most people grumble a whole lot more than anything else.

Flipping your statistics back upright, are you not at least a little surprised that so many people disagree with you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 13, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information