News & Experiences continued

once_upon

Voter
Family gathering infects 41 people with the ********, NC health official says

This article does a good job of showing how one gathering ultimately infected many more people than the attendees. As following the party, participants infected many other people prior to realizing they were sick. Including a child who went home & infected two grandparents & a neighbor--all 65+. Plus family members who went back to work & infected 9 coworkers, who of course infected their families.
It only takes one. Our neighbors whose primary residence is western Nebraska are here this weekend this weekend were telling us how how nervous they are because the small town/county they live full time have not have not had cases. They came to see their grandkids.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Because if I truly believed that masks were both a waste of time and a symbol of government oppression, I wouldn't wear one.
But as @SkateSand said, how many of these people think a mask is a symbol of government oppression? I know people who think like that and they are a very small subset of conservatives.

I think a lot of people think they are a waste of time. But for those people, they may be lax but they will wear them if it's the law because the downside of being wrong is worse than the downside of being right.

Some people see not wearing them as a way to support Trump as well. But I think many of those people would have worn one without hesitation if Trump had been on board from day one. (I think it's too late now ... even if Trump starts promoting them, it will be seen as getting people off his back and not true a recommendation.)

I wear a mask more than my husband but he is not a Trump guy. His actions dont make me happy
Mine is the same. He hates wearing them and never goes anywhere except in our trailer park. If we do go somewhere, he'll wear one because it's the law but he won't wear them outside and we try to avoid having him go places because he's high risk.

Japanfan

The incidence of BB is so low here that it doesn't feel necessary to wear a mask, and it's only been recommended in my city. Nonetheless, when a friend and I were in a car together a few days ago, we both put on our masks. Better safe than sorry.

On Thursday a group of young people were partying in the front yard of a house a few doors - no masks, and there was certainly not a 6 meter distance away from them.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
You guys, I got the ********* test today. Um, sorry, @BlueRidge I forgot to take a selfie because I had a GIANT Q-TIP BEING RAMMED INTO MY BRAIN. TWICE.

Good times. You all should try it. :watch:
I am thinking of getting one because I want to visit my dad. He's over 70 and he lives alone and really hasn't seen anyone or gone anywhere since the pan-demic started. I think it would be good for him for me to visit for a week. I've been careful, but he's been isolated, so I think if I'm going to see him, I should get tested first. I'm wondering how I would get tested. I don't really want to self-administer because I'm afraid I'll do it wrong. I'm also not sure how long before I plan to see him I need to get tested in order to be sure I see the results in time. Should I call my doctor?

once_upon

Voter
I am thinking of getting one because I want to visit my dad. He's over 70 and he lives alone and really hasn't seen anyone or gone anywhere since the pan-demic started. I think it would be good for him for me to visit for a week. I've been careful, but he's been isolated, so I think if I'm going to see him, I should get tested first. I'm wondering how I would get tested. I don't really want to self-administer because I'm afraid I'll do it wrong. I'm also not sure how long before I plan to see him I need to get tested in order to be sure I see the results in time. Should I call my doctor?
Are there testing sites in your area? Nebraska (where princessleppard and I live) has free testing sites. But results can be from 48 hours to 9 days. Which is kinda of a an issue.

Dobre

State news:

North Carolina has 11 clusters in 10 day cares within the state.

Atlanta, Georgia has returned to Phase I.

Hawaii: After weeks of prepping for tourism’s reopening, hotels face the prospect of a costly delay
Poor Hawaii. What they really need is to be able to open to Asian tourists instead of American tourists, I think.

Idaho Struggles With ******** Testing Capacity, Reserves Tests For The Sick

https://tinyurl.com/y8wb7v6y
500 cases for Idaho today. (New high).

Arizona county requests refrigerated trucks as morgues hit 97 percent capacity during *********

This Arizona ICU nurse protested for lockdowns. Now she is stretched thin as public rejects precautions

As Texas morgues fill up, refrigerator trucks are on the way in several counties

127 cases in Montana today. Ugh. They are skyrocketing now just like Oregon was 4 weeks after reopening. That has to be so frustrating after all those days that Montana had single digits.

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Three people tested positive after flying from Atlanta to Albany.

(CNN) -- Three people have tested positive for ******** on Friday after taking a Delta Air Lines flight from Atlanta to Albany, New York.

Flight 4815 left on July 6, a release from the Rensselaer County Health Department said.

The passengers were not symptomatic on the flight, but began showing symptoms on July 7.

I have begun to wonder whether I will ever fly again.

On a different note, Rachel Maddow commented that there were hospitals (I think in South Carolina but it hardly matters) where it could take up to 4 hours for a person in an emergency room to see a doctor.

I laughed scornfully. I spent a fair number of days and nights taking my parents to hospital emergency rooms, and four hours would have been a picnic in the sun. Bellevue was the worst but even the beloved suburban hospitals in Orange County, NY required endless stretches of time, with frequently one parent or the other sending me home because it was after midnight and there was no way of knowing when they'd get a bed.

Rachel Maddow also pointed out that there had been 70000 positive tests around the country today and last week there had been 50000. Sometimes the numbers can be actually frightening.

MsZem

This shouldn't even be an issue, but of course it is. :rolleyes:

We really need to pause on a lot of things and just focus on what we have to do to get through this. But of course there are always people who just don't give a little not matter how much they might get in return. It does make clear, however, that educating students is not the priority.
This is a university-level issue, not an individual one. If you evaluate people primarily (or entirely) based on research output and you need them to now devote a significant chunk of time to something else, either give them more time or relax the evaluation criteria. Which I will note that some institutions have done, and not just because the teaching demands are greater. The ability to do research has been affected across disciplines for multiple reasons, and @overedge is right that there is often a gendered component as well.

But even if universities do what they can, it doesn't change the fact that someone who can research and teach medieval history, or developmental psychology, or biomechanics, is typically not going to have a lot of expertise in digital pedagogy. Even with the best of intentions, we both know that it's a steep learning curve and a skillset that's not in everyone's wheelhouse. So if you're evaluated on teaching, that's also an issue.

And then there's the question of whether distance learning is appealing and useful to the students themselves. Which brings me back to my spin on MacMadame's point: can we think of other options that will be better than distance learning for university students, even if they don't get their dream campus experience? Is there some sort of hybrid model that can work? Obviously that's going to differ between different universities and programs.

spinZZ

State news:

North Carolina has 11 clusters in 10 day cares within the state.

Atlanta, Georgia has returned to Phase I.

Hawaii: After weeks of prepping for tourism’s reopening, hotels face the prospect of a costly delay
Poor Hawaii. What they really need is to be able to open to Asian tourists instead of American tourists, I think.

Idaho Struggles With ******** Testing Capacity, Reserves Tests For The Sick

https://tinyurl.com/y8wb7v6y
500 cases for Idaho today. (New high).

Arizona county requests refrigerated trucks as morgues hit 97 percent capacity during *********

This Arizona ICU nurse protested for lockdowns. Now she is stretched thin as public rejects precautions

As Texas morgues fill up, refrigerator trucks are on the way in several counties

127 cases in Montana today. Ugh. They are skyrocketing now just like Oregon was 4 weeks after reopening. That has to be so frustrating after all those days that Montana had single digits.
This is truly tragic. I'm in NJ. Early in the year, the US ignored what was happening in other countries (in particular, Italy) and didn't take pre-emptive measures. In mid April, NY (in particular, NYC area) was the hardest hit state, with NJ second. We paid the price for delayed lockdown and for not being prepared (shortage of ICU capacity, ventilators, medical staff, PPE, testing, morgue capacity ...). We scrambled to deal with the crisis. Many lives were devastated or lost unnecessarily, but we got through it (or at least the worst of it for now). Now four months later, it appears that many states ignored what was happening in NY/NJ and didn't take pre-emptive measures ... and they are now paying the same price that could have been avoided.

Last edited:

flyingsit

not every test requires poking your brain. some of the testing sites here are using swabs just inside the nostrils.

Yehudi

I speak the bull****
I went to pickup donuts at a popular place yesterday. The shop opened up at 7 and by 6:55, there was a line of about 10 people. I’d say 9 wore face coverings while waiting outside, the 10th being reminded by the store clerk to put his on, which he quickly did. So I am happy people in upstate NY are still wearing masks.

Gives me hope the others in NY is just as fearful as I am of another uptick and people understand masks and proper crowd control are what can allow us to have some sense of normalcy

oleada

Ok, I’m in the market for a cute cloth mask. Our N95s are starting to show wear. I got a free cloth mask but it’s just boring navy blue. Where are y’all getting cute and functional masks?

Jimena

Ok, I’m in the market for a cute cloth mask. Our N95s are starting to show wear. I got a free cloth mask but it’s just boring navy blue. Where are y’all getting cute and functional masks?
Etsy and Zulily. Even Ebay. I now have a collection.

Dobre

Now four months later, it appears that many states ignored what was happening in NY/NJ and didn't take pre-emptive measures ... and they are now paying the same price that could have been avoided.
Many states didn't ignore it and are still paying the price. I think a lot of governors tried very hard--hung onto their constituencies as long as they could even while knowing that voters were turning against them with the president fomenting opposition within their own states and neighboring states rushing to reopen. I think the West Coast, Montana, Hawaii, even Idaho after early mistakes, New Mexico--a lot of places here really wanted to do this right. States with higher case numbers had more political willpower to wait, but even so . . . how to stop it without wise, consistent leadership from the federal government? Montana, Hawaii, and Alaska were in single digits for weeks & weeks. Yet it has not been enough. (Hawaii is in the best shape, but in such a difficult place economically). Will the states that were hit hard initially and have seen their numbers drop be able to hang onto stability when even Montana cannot? They are further behind in reopening so it is hard to know.

I agree it is tragic and very scary.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Worldometer has today's deaths reported by the Veteran Affairs at 18.

In painful irony, it lists the total number of deaths Veteran Affairs has registered at 1776.

When all this is over with and the serious evaluations take place, I hope there's an in depth analysis of Veteran Affairs and how they were responsible for the deaths of so many Americans who had served their country.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Any particular Etsy shop?
Mask shopping is my new favourite hobby. :shuffle:

I've only purchased from Canadian sellers so far, but I'm sure they would ship to the US. I have the office plaid and grey herringbone from this shop, the teal floral from this one, and a blue plaid one from this seller (although she appears to be sold out of the plaid patterns now). And I also treated myself to the red lace one from this Toronto-based designer.

million$momma

When I went to the eye doctor, they had me pull the mask down from my nose, just covering my mouth, so it would not get in the way of the machine I was looking through. And it was covering my chin where it was resting. They cleaned everything before and after too.
When I was at the eye surgeon they told me to pull the mask to the tip of my nose and to move my glasses away from my face a bit. This cleared the fog.

Yehudi

I speak the bull****
Mask shopping is my new favourite hobby. :shuffle:

I've only purchased from Canadian sellers so far, but I'm sure they would ship to the US. I have the office plaid and grey herringbone from this shop, the teal floral from this one, and a blue plaid one from this seller (although she appears to be sold out of the plaid patterns now). And I also treated myself to the red lace one from this Toronto-based designer.
Mine too. The Instagram ads are really messing with me.

I alternate depending on situation. I have a neck gaiter which I use for walking around the neighborhood or picking up food, a cloth mask w/ carbon filter for Shopping and I am saving the N95s for plane travel or using the subway.

canbelto

This is truly tragic. I'm in NJ. Early in the year, the US ignored what was happening in other countries (in particular, Italy) and didn't take pre-emptive measures. In mid April, NY (in particular, NYC area) was the hardest hit state, with NJ second. We paid the price for delayed lockdown and for not being prepared (shortage of ICU capacity, ventilators, medical staff, PPE, testing, morgue capacity ...). We scrambled to deal with the crisis. Many lives were devastated or lost unnecessarily, but we got through it (or at least the worst of it for now). Now four months later, it appears that many states ignored what was happening in NY/NJ and didn't take pre-emptive measures ... and they are now paying the same price that could have been avoided.
I live in NYC but am riding this out with my parents in NJ and agree, the "best" thing that could have happened to Ny/NJ was that we got so hard hit in March and APril. Everyone took it serious. Mask mandates were immediate in stores. Almost everyone I know knew of someone who died of C19. Not got sick, but died.

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
https://www.sanctuaryclothing.com/collections/ppe-accessories These have nose wire and a great fit, and everyone that has tried them has ordered more.

Old Navy also has a ton of patterns, but I don't think theirs have nose wire so I'm not sure about the fit. https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=1157699

At the start of the ********* I ordered some from Etsy and was sorely disappointed. It's just too much of a wildcard.

sk8pics

I ordered a mask from this site that Sparks mentioned. They shipped my mask the day after I ordered, but I haven’t gotten it yet. I ordered the patriotic pups one. I also like that they have a Velcro strip to secure it in place, so I’m hoping it’s a bit more comfortable.

Sparks

I ordered a mask from this site that Sparks mentioned. They shipped my mask the day after I ordered, but I haven’t gotten it yet. I ordered the patriotic pups one. I also like that they have a Velcro strip to secure it in place, so I’m hoping it’s a bit more comfortable.
I wore mine for the first time this week, Sadly, I don't like the way it fits. Maybe I have a BIG face.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I haven't been following the news surrounding the v i r u s that closely, so I don't know whether the following developments have been discussed here already. But this is some scary shizz. I thought my sister was going off the deep end when she told me about this lab conducting risky tests in Wuhan, that possibly could be the source of this strange new virology strain! I dismissed her with, 'That's a nice storyline for a science fiction novel.' But well, it's true! :eek: :yikes:

There's also a denial from a Chinese official reported in the Daily Fail, which I won't link because I don't like to give that despicable rag any clicks.

Does anyone know whether these developments have been widely discussed by mainstream television news outlets? I haven't been paying attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 12)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information