News & Experiences continued

once_upon

New condo owner
Church is moving to yellow status. Worship is still online. Sanctuary will be open 2 hours on Sunday afternoon for prayer and reflections, only 50 people at anytime, 6 ft apart.

Wednesday evening parking lot - picnic (bring your own food) and praise music. 6 ft distancing.

Small groups (10) can begin meeting. Detailed cleaning instructions provided. Can wear masks, but not required (I think). Contactless thermometer available for temp checks.

Will move back to red if cases in 3 counties start rising again.

Susan1

I got to read for a whole 45 minutes before I realized the update would be on at 2.

Guidelines for the 167 colleges and universities in Ohio will be on the website, with more details next week. They've already got $200M for higher ed. and $100M for K-12 from the Federal Cares Act relief fund. The team has worked on more funding for testing, housing, nurses, PPE, connectivity…. and are asking for $440M (K-12) and $190M for higher ed, including adult career tech. It has to be approved by the "Controlling Board" (unfortunate name there). That is for public AND private schools.
Question later - how do schools get the money? They can draw down funds for something that qualifies from the funds that are there now. Working on the additional funds..

There was already a $1M grant for homelessness prevention and rehousing. There is an additional $15M grant for people to maintain housing. Question later - 500K people are reported to be in danger of not being able to pay their rent. Any more funding for that. I don't even know what he said. They didn't even bring up the unemployment numbers. (listening to Red Rubber Ball - reminds me of every morning on the way to Brownie day camp) 😊

Someone on DeWine's staff has tested positive. He would not say he or she. This person has been working from home since the pan…ic started. Q later - why aren't you being more transparent. People who could have been infected have to find out from the news. The "person" has not been around any coworkers. (me - I'm sure they are contact tracing people in the rest of the person's life. Butt out.)

Quick numbers off the slide on t.v. -
61,331 total cases / 1,150 - 24 hours / 867 - 21 day average
8,570 hospitalizations / 81 / 70
2,164 ICU / 19/ 16
We hit 3,006 Deaths now / 15 / 18

There are still 905 people in hospitals. I know I've seen that slide on the website. I will have to find it! It shows how many still in ICU and how many on vents.

As of July 7, the positivity rate is 6.4, the highest it has been. They will come up with a 7 day average slide because weekend numbers always look lower (not reported till Monday or Tuesday).

Thursday is Risk Level Map day. FIVE counties have been added to the level 3. They are adjacent to the 7 already red (1 by Cincinnati, 2 by Columbus, 2 by Cleveland).

Level three counties with stars mean that they have had one week of alert of being close to the level 4 criteria. Two weeks, and they turn purple.

Hamilton (Cinc.), Butler (above Cinc.) and Cuyahoga (Cleveland) are now starred.

Franklin county (Columbus) is no longer starred because they only met the criteria for a close to Level 4 "alert" for one week, criteria of hospital admissions were down. - I hope that does not give them a false sense of security.

(BTW - my cousin Tim in Columbus had 18 people at his house on the 4th. They had tents outside, but geez. Pictures of people sitting around an umbrella table with my Aunt who is under Hospice care. Does the oxygen cannula in her nose help protect her??? Three people in their 80s and kids/grandkids from their teens to 60 from Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton.)

So he went through all 12 Level 3 counties and how many of the 7 criteria they met and numbers pretty fast. Eight counties went from Level 1 to Level 2. Huron county is down to level 2, so the mask order is off, but he hopes they will still "mask up" so they do not go back up to Level 3.

Some of Montgomery's (I'll have to look it up or get it off the DDN, too many numbers): 600+ new cases in the last 14 days; the average on 6/16 was 41, June 30 it was 50; ER visits (diagnosed with c.v.) went from an average of 9 to 16; doctor visits from 14 to 48. 63% are not connected to congregate living (were restaurants and workplaces).

Lt. Gov. (it's easier to type Husted instead; any interested party know who that is, right?) talked about jobs. 120K jobs on website but a lot of them are tech jobs with specific skills. They got an IMAP job training grant to reimburse people for training.

Also something about a Shared Work Executive Order. So that companies can keep people, they get paid for working reduced hours and get a pro-rated unemployment on top of that or something.

Ohio is having success with plasma donations of people who had c.v. and they want more people - resource is on website.

Sports - more guidance will be posted next week.

Questions - I wanted to do this one first (out of order) -
Is it Jack Windsor? A number of people on my Nextdoor board recommend that I listen to him because he tells the TRUTH.
Jack(ass) (who know I already had the right second part of his first name last week!!) Windsor - too much obnoxious numbers to write down (e.g 8 counties have less <fewer, stupid!> than 10 deaths, 13 counties haven't had any deaths), why are you trying to make everyone afraid? @*&#^% (how do they do cuss words in the comics?) The state and the CDC tell a different story. AARRGGHH. Answer - the usual…the levels are based on 7 different indicators. People need to know the information and which direction we are headed to make the best decisions. It's not about fear. The only mandate is for those counties to wear masks in public, you SOB (sorry, that would be me again, but DeWine was getting huffy). Everyone should social distance, sanitize. People wanted county by county information. (Stay in your own - me again.) Ohioans are controlling their own futures.

Jackass also asked about antibody testing - Husted said he would get back to him. He got on his phone and later in the questions, he said that 12K postcards went out. They had training Tuesday and Wednesday, and teams were starting to collect 1,200 samples today in Central Ohio. They hope to be done by July 28.

Ohio lawmaker tells people to stop getting tested.

@Susan1 do you know of this turd?
Jim Otte, from our WHIO t.v. asked about "a lawmaker" who said people should stop being tested. DeWine looked dumbfounded (like nobody has mentioned this?). He said it was "shocking" and "I can't believe it". He went on a long thing - if you have symptoms, get tested so that other people can be tested. People need confidence for businesses to continue to stay open and on and on and then "I don't know what to say". Husted popped up - what we are asking you to do is not just to protect yourself, but other people, someone you love, or someone who is around someone they take care of. "Why would we want to live life in the dark?" and testing can help control the spread.

How do you get people in rural counties with few cases to change their behavior? (Can't he just get a tape recorder and play it for every question?) We don't want to end up like Florida and Texas. All counties should be concerned when the indicators are going the wrong way. (me - "you could be next") If 75-80% of people wear masks, it will make a fundamental difference. Doctors are saving more people than when we started.

Good question - what about people passing through red counties needing to wear masks. He did his mask speech and I wrote down "he didn't answer the question" and the reporter, I didn't write down, asked again! DeWine said "they should", and people in places of businesses are supposed to be asking them to, or giving them one. (Maybe those people in Meijer this morning <this morning? It feels like a week ago!> were from Greene or Warren county or something. Everybody has at least one Meijer, but maybe they stopped there after going somewhere else. And thought they only had to live in the county to wear a mask?)

OSU stopped practice for 7 teams, is going back to school and sports going to work? It's not going to be easy, especially with congregate living. (me - lots of people come to OSU <and everywhere> from other states. How are you going to control that.)

Next update Tuesday at 2 p.m. The last thing he said was "get a test". (me - If it comes back negative, you'll have to get one tomorrow and the next day and the next…… And I thought we were running low on testing supplies. Oh, in the college discussion - colleges are going to have to have rooms or a separate building to isolate and quarantine anyone who tests positive. Who "wants" to go to college now?)

Louis

Private citizen
If that is your standard, then all public education should have ceased at the very beginning, as there has never been fair and equal in public (or private) education.
I agree with you, and think schools funded largely by property tax is one of the single biggest problems in the U.S.

But not even the most leftist of left states is willing to fund schools equally - couldn't even work in Vermont.

I supported repeal of the SALT deduction. IMO, no way should luxurious public schools - available only to the wealthy elite - result in federal tax deductions.

I also proudly support school vouchers, charter schools, school choice in all forms, and federal funding of any school of anyone's choice, and will take all the eggs thrown at me for doing so.

skatfan

I also proudly support school vouchers, charter schools, school choice in all forms, and federal funding of any school of anyone's choice, and will take all the eggs thrown at me for doing so.
Consider them thrown. I belong to a religious tradition that fought for free public education in the US and will gladly continue that fight so that ALL students get an adequate education, not just parents looking for the rest of us to fund their particular version of what they think citizens need.

attyfan

So you think the federal government should pay for those people who want to teach their kids that blacks are inferior and/or that the Holocaust never happened?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It's amazing at how those who support federal funding for religious schools only mean Christian schools. What about a madrassa? Jewish schools? Wiccan? Buddhist? If it's ok for one, it should be OK for all and let's not be bothered with pesky standards that make it too hard.

Spikefan

Consider them thrown. I belong to a religious tradition that fought for free public education in the US and will gladly continue that fight so that ALL students get an adequate education, not just parents looking for the rest of us to fund their particular version of what they think citizens need.
My spouse was sent to a religious school through 8th grade. He was ill-prepared when he got to public school and struggled throughout with science courses. Lack of science education is why we are in the mess we are in now.

Louis

Private citizen
So you think the federal government should pay for those people who want to teach their kids that blacks are inferior and/or that the Holocaust never happened?
This is a fair point, and I'll amend to say schools that meet basic criteria, educational standards, and comply with anti-discrimination laws.

It's amazing at how those who support federal funding for religious schools only mean Christian schools. What about a madrassa? Jewish schools? Wiccan? Buddhist? If it's ok for one, it should be OK for all and let's not be bothered with pesky standards that make it too hard.
All OK with me as long as they teach the core subjects and don't discriminate on who can attend. Jewish schools, Wiccan schools, whatever can be just as effective of a lifeline as Christian schools for children in poor neighborhoods.

My spouse was sent to a religious school through 8th grade. He was ill-prepared when he got to public school and struggled throughout with science courses. Lack of science education is why we are in the mess we are in now.
Those schools operate at far lower cost per child than public schools. Maybe federal funding will help improve their science classes. :saint:

(Sorry for derailing this thread.)

MacMadame

Staying at home
I supported repeal of the SALT deduction. IMO, no way should luxurious public schools - available only to the wealthy elite - result in federal tax deductions.
Are you sure the SALT deduction included property taxes? That wasn't my understanding.

manhn

British Columbia: 20 new cases (first time in the 20s for a long while), but zero deaths

Susan1

I sort of found the chart at the bottom of hospital key metrics (Patient Count in Ohio Hospitals By Day). It's a different color than the big one they have. The last date is 7/8 - patient count 890, ICU 289, vent 155. 7/7 was 851, 289, 140. The first date on the chart is 6/27. It was the lowest at 614. The ICU was 207 and vent was 121.

Sparks

I'm watching NM's press conference.
Dr. Scrase: emerging evidence suggests #C0VID19 may lead to infertility in men, even among asymptomatic patients.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Six deaths and 24 new cases here. Worryingly all 24 cases are those under 45 and 15 are overseas travel related.

Sparks

I'm convinced New Mexico's cases are rising because of Texans. We were doing so well, until people started to travel here.
ETA: We are back on partial lock down.

Here's the new public health order from
EFFECTIVE MONDAY, JULY 13 No more indoor seating at restaurants and breweries. They can continue to operate outdoor seating at 50%. Restaurants can continue carry out and delivery. Breweries can continue curbside pickup.
No out of State people are allowed in the State Parks. :cheer2:
Tourists, stay home. We like your money, but just not now.

Last edited:

skatfan

I'm convinced New Mexico's cases are rising because of Texans. We were doing so well, until people started to travel here.
ETA: We are back on partial lock down.

Here's the new public health order from
EFFECTIVE MONDAY, JULY 13 No more indoor seating at restaurants and breweries. They can continue to operate outdoor seating at 50%. Restaurants can continue carry out and delivery. Breweries can continue curbside pickup.
No out of State people are allowed in the State Parks. :cheer2:
Tourists, stay home. We like your money, but just not now.
Or it could be Arizonans. In contrast to your excellent governor, even though we’re no 1 among the state’s for new caSes, the only thing our governor is doing from 2 weeks ago is making the 50% indoor occupancy a firm requirement instead of a guideline. Yes, he’s basically doing nothing except that. We’re doomed.

Louis

Private citizen
Worryingly all 24 cases are those under 45
Isn't it better that all 24 cases are in the group with 99.95% survival rate? Look, I don't want anyone to get it, but if people have to get it, better that they're in a demographic that's almost certain to survive.

I'd be a lot more worried if all 24 cases were in nursing homes.

Sparks

Or it could be Arizonans. In contrast to your excellent governor, even though we’re no 1 among the state’s for new caSes, the only thing our governor is doing from 2 weeks ago is making the 50% indoor occupancy a firm requirement instead of a guideline. Yes, he’s basically doing nothing except that. We’re doomed.
Agreed. Arizona, Texas, and Oklahoma.
God help us.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Yes, it did. State and Local Taxes includes property taxes.
For some reason I thought it was only income taxes.

Though this is a big tangent because states where people could take a big SALT deduction over the new limit are ones with a COL so that means our schools aren't necessarily better funded than a state with a lower COL>

Dr. Scrase: emerging evidence suggests #C0VID19 may lead to infertility in men, even among asymptomatic patients.
If that's true, I suddenly see a rush of white men bullying everyone to wear a mask. (Instead of screaming that they have rights.)

Susan1

You should try and buy all your groceries at once, it will cut down on the trips you are taking into the grocery store. Ideally you shouldn't have to make more than 1 trip every 7-14 days. The least number of indoor trips the better.
I only go to Meijer to get yogurt, because Kroger (I was told) does not have room to keep different flavors that Meijer and Walmart have. I think it's been 10 days or so.
I checked my calendar where I write down where I've been in case they are tracing an outbreak. The last time I went to Meijer was June 24. The only time I've been to Walmart was the day I got my computer and had to get a mouse. I went straight back and straight back out to a self-checkout. And the other day when I stopped and looked at the vision place in the front of the store. Other than Kroger, I've been to CVS and Walgreen's and they have wipes or hand sanitizer at the registers, which I always use. And only a couple other people in the store at the same time I am. I can't sit in this house alone every single day.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
They need to say it may lead to impotence and suddenly a whole lot of people will be wearing masks and practicing social distancing.

sk8pics

Though this is a big tangent because states where people could take a big SALT deduction over the new limit are ones with a COL so that means our schools aren't necessarily better funded than a state with a lower COL>
What’s COL?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I struggle to take seriously someone who constantly snipes about the "work from home elite" (oooh, getting screamed at and abused in my own living room is elite now? FUN!) but who also has multiple passports and the means to just flounce off to Italy because he doesn't want to be locked down in the UK.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Worldometer's numbers for the U.S. tonight are very sobering.

It's listing 946 reported deaths today. Four states (California, Florida, Texas and New Jersey) each have more than 100 reported deaths.

There were 61,000 new positive test results. Over 24,000 of those come from California, Florida and Texas (45%).

Only 6 states reported no fatalities.

Arizona, which has also been of concern, reported 75 deaths and 4000 positive test results.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
So Texas had 105 deaths yesterday -- Trump's insistence that "death rates" are declining is not as true anymore as they are climbing in several hard-hit states.
Isn't that to be expected? I would think the death rate would start climbing a short time after the infection starts going up.

Isn't it better that all 24 cases are in the group with 99.95% survival rate?
Are you sure that's going to hold up over time?

I've been really puzzled as how some people (not just you) seem to think the science is settled on this, that we can take what data exists and go with it.

We're still in the early days of this. The data is incomplete, incosistent and based on what has been because it can't be based on anything else. But I think you have to expect and allow for change as the disease spreads to a lot more people.

Of those who survive, how many end up with longterm health problems? We don't know that, either. But doesn't that give you pause?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 26, Guests: 12)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information