News & Experiences continued

Louis

Private citizen
Not a fan of introducing internal borders in the U.S., enabling (frivolous) lawsuits against (cash-strapped) businesses from every person who contracts *********-19, or giving the police more power. But otherwise I can get behind most of those.

I think a lot of us in the nightlife/service industry in America are going through a funk right now where we are all analyzing our lives and questioning what the next step is going to be.
Same for the arts. I don't know what to tell my friends in the arts. :( Adding to the misery, governments are zeroing out funding for the arts.

Don't blame yourself because no one could have predicted this. As to what to do, I think the reality is that you're not going to be able to earn your previous salary for 1-1.5 years. It wouldn't be a bad idea, just to keep your options open, to take a few free or low cost online courses in an area that interests you.

I think this is a good article, worth reading.
Airborne transmission would explain the 2/3 of people who caught the ***** in New York City while (allegedly) sheltering in place. Another friend of mine, who lives in a high-rise in Spain, also apparently caught it during Spain's very strict lockdown where he did not leave the house except to get groceries every other week (by foot, with a mask). He was tested at work every day prior to lockdown - negative every day for over a month - but then was retested when he went back to work and had antibodies.

maureenfarone

For a long time, I was of the opinion that masks were a mixed bag but this article and others like it changed my mind:

Thanks so much for this article. It is easy to understand and I have passed it along to a couple of friends. One of my good friends has been upset right along that the info on what to do to stay safe has changed so much and this may help her understand why that has happened.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I find the politicization of the bb so stupid. Gov Kelly mandated masks statewide on Friday and already there a county paper (published by a Republican) likening her order to a Nazi ordering Jews into a cattle car on a train.
Several of my friends have posted this on Facebook. Ridiculous.

Dobre

Yakima County, Washington:

It looks like the new & stiffer-than-the-norm mandatory mask requirements that were put into place in Yakima County are working. Case numbers are finally going down. We could learn a lot from this. Hopefully Washington State will do the same in the Tri-Cities/other spiking counties in Eastern Washington. (And hopefully Oregon will follow suit with Eastern Oregon counties approaching hospital capacity aka Umatilla County).

Yakima County reports 69 new *********-19 cases Tuesday — 3rd straight day in double digits

becca

Several of my friends have posted this on Facebook. Ridiculous.
It shows our society has not been doing a good job discussing what freedom is. It amazes me we are in a ********* and folks are more concerned about rights than stopping the spread.
Our founding fathers felt our system of government would only work if the people themselves were virtuous.

Edmund Burke also wrote about how freedom and responsibility go hand and Hand and if men cannot control themselves the government will have to step in.

They are only causing less freedom. Tired of hearing the words “my freedom.” Whatever happened to “ask not what my country can do for you but what you can do for your country.”

Susan1

Me too! I have to keep reminding myself -and even as I’m typing this, I’m thinking, Saturday? No, Friday!
O.k. - I made it through Saturday knowing it was Saturday. But I checked the mailbox twice in the morning, forgetting it was also a holiday and there wouldn't be any mail.

It was too hot to take the one book back to the book drop after I finished it, so I decided to do it this morning. I always wear slippers around the house, and shoes outside even to take out the trash because for like three summers in a row I stepped on a sticker or a splinter or something sharp and it wasn't in a place I could get to myself. I had to go to the doctor to get it out.

Rambling -
So.....between taking off the slippers and walking 5 steps to get my shoes, I bumped into the wicker table that I broke my toes on two years ago, just with my hip. It knocked over my little bowl of earrings I always wear (so I don't have to search through the 200+ pairs I have) and some of them went on the floor (carpet), of course. I was sorting out what was what to make sure I had them all and stepped on one. I bent over to pick that earring up and didn't see it because it was still stuck in the bottom of my foot! I bled all over till I could get to the bathroom.

So I got that neosporined and band-aided up and left. I was going down a residential street and there was a guy out in his yard with his Chihuahua (don't panic!). That little tiny dog was walking along the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. I stopped. I looked at the man and he motioned me to go. No way. At the same time the dog squatted and his leg slipped off the sidewalk. The curb was twice as tall as the whole dog, so it's not like he could put his foot down. He didn't fall off or anything. But he could have and if I was moving, he would have been a pancake. I had to wait till he (probably she, since it squatted, but if it was a puppy, who can tell with a Chihuahua, a boy wouldn't have lifted his leg yet) got back over in the middle of the yard.

My heart was pounding and nothing even happened. It wasn't a close call. Just, man! I can't leave the house and I can't stay in it without drama. I wish I could just go back to bed and pull the covers over my head, but it's 90* already. I need drugs. ha ha

sk8pics

So I did go this morning to my church’s outside Mass and everyone wore their masks and were well separated, although the woman to my right put her chair down too close to me and I had to tell her to move over. This was immediately after an usher had told her where to put her chair. :rolleyes:

But, the musician sang when he played the opening song. He was wearing a mask and sitting apart from anyone else, and he said the congregation should not sing, but either he didn’t say it loud enough or seriously enough, because the people behind me were singing. :eek: I had to turn around and tell them not to sing and they looked at me like they were insulted and the guy kind of shrugged like it was not a big deal. We were outside (so that’s good) but there was no breeze at all (so that’s bad). We were 6 feet apart (so that’s good, but not good enough when there is singing involved). And everyone wore their masks, so that’s good. But sheesh, why do people not follow instructions? I am going to email our liturgy coordinator tomorrow and tell her they clearly can’t have anybody singing if they don’t want the congregation to sing.

So I did not receive communion because I just thought, well, some people here do not take this as seriously as I do, and so I’m not going to take that risk.

Anyway, in spite of all of this I was glad to be there. But I am not sure when I’m going to go back.

clairecloutier

Spending time outside yesterday, I would say maybe 30% of people at best were wearing masks. Disappointing. It doesn't give me much hope for MA when we start phase 3 tomorrow.

The thing I don't get is that wearing a mask is one of the easiest & cheapest ways you can fight CV19. Homeschooling is not necessarily so easy. Refitting your house to do work/school from home can get expensive. Trying to stock up on essentials like food and paper products is expensive. Paying CV19 medical bills is expensive.

In contrast, wearing a mask is relatively affordable, simple, and practical. It's not like I love wearing a mask; it fogs up my glasses, and I miss seeing people's whole faces and smiles. However, in my mind, it's well worth the trade-off of increased safety for all.

I honestly do not get why so many people have an issue with it.

Last edited:

MsZem

I find the politicization of the bb so stupid. Gov Kelly mandated masks statewide on Friday and already there a county paper (published by a Republican) likening her order to a Nazi ordering Jews into a cattle car on a train.
Yes indeed, being told to wear a mask to save lives is quite the same as being sent to Treblinka. I am sure these morons think they would have been brave partisans in the war.

Sadly neither the depravity nor the stupidity surprise me anymore.

Lemonade20

Eventually there will be herd immunity because there’s no way anyone will get away without being affected by this YKW. A vaccine isn’t guaranteed to work on everyone. Who knows what the real numbers are? Wear a mask and don’t be stupid. We all need to work together to squash this

canbelto

You guys ought to see the hatefyl messages under Ivanka Trump's IG post telling people to wear a mask. It wasn't liberals -- it was MAGA type people insisting the mask is a mind control device from the government, that the whole thing was a "scandemic," etc. People are really tripling down on this mask thing.

once_upon

New condo owner
So I did go this morning to my church’s outside Mass and everyone wore their masks and were well separated, although the woman to my right put her chair down too close to me and I had to tell her to move over. This was immediately after an usher had told her where to put her chair. :rolleyes:

But, the musician sang when he played the opening song. He was wearing a mask and sitting apart from anyone else, and he said the congregation should not sing, but either he didn’t say it loud enough or seriously enough, because the people behind me were singing. :eek: I had to turn around and tell them not to sing and they looked at me like they were insulted and the guy kind of shrugged like it was not a big deal. We were outside (so that’s good) but there was no breeze at all (so that’s bad). We were 6 feet apart (so that’s good, but not good enough when there is singing involved). And everyone wore their masks, so that’s good. But sheesh, why do people not follow instructions? I am going to email our liturgy coordinator tomorrow and tell her they clearly can’t have anybody singing if they don’t want the congregation to sing.

So I did not receive communion because I just thought, well, some people here do not take this as seriously as I do, and so I’m not going to take that risk.

Anyway, in spite of all of this I was glad to be there. But I am not sure when I’m going to go back.
My church's video quality seems to me to rival professional quality of churches who have several hired sound and videographer technicians.
It's being done by one communications coordinator and a sound person hired for 3 hours a week. Cases are still rising in the area so we wont move to our yellow stage plans yet.

Dobre

The thing I don't get is that wearing a mask is one of the easiest & cheapest ways you can fight CV19. Homeschooling is not necessarily so easy. Refitting your house to do work/school for home can get expensive. Trying to stock up on essentials like food and paper products is expensive. Paying CV19 medical bills is expensive.

In contrast, wearing a mask is relatively affordable, simple, and practical.
I know. Someone should make a graphic on facebook/social media to highlight this point. (Maybe a nice bar graph showing the cost of all these "options." Then add a slogan. Something like, "Masks: Make the affordable choice.")

I made the same point on a facebook thread the other day. The writer was complaining that she didn't really think cotton/non-medical masks would work since doctors need N95s. I pointed out that there were alternatives to masks: pick up & delivery or face shields. The important thing is to wear something to protect others if we go inside buildings. And that masks are simply one of the most affordable, versatile, and accessible options. (Plus they are more effective than bandanas & can even help protect you if worn correctly).

She liked my post.

Last edited:

once_upon

New condo owner
Sorry double post. My grandson's sort of step grandma (he son is the father of his half sister and has lived in the house for 8 years) had been pretty angry that we've not come to pick up Myles and spend time with him despite my saying it's too risky given all of his contact with others.

This morning she messaged me saying she got it. Yesterday was her oldest granddaughter 16th birthday and when she showed up for the party apparently there were 30-45 people there including someone who just came back from a week in texas (beaches). She dropped off the cakes and left. She said her kids were mad and didn't get it.

Pictures I saw of party, no masks anywhere. Its crazy.

sk8nlizard

Spending time outside yesterday, I would say maybe 30% of people at best were wearing masks. Disappointing. It doesn't give me much hope for MA when we start phase 3 tomorrow.

The thing I don't get is that wearing a mask is one of the easiest & cheapest ways you can fight CV19. Homeschooling is not necessarily so easy. Refitting your house to do work/school from home can get expensive. Trying to stock up on essentials like food and paper products is expensive. Paying CV19 medical bills is expensive.

In contrast, wearing a mask is relatively affordable, simple, and practical. It's not like I love wearing a mask; it fogs up my glasses, and I miss seeing people's whole faces and smiles. However, in my mind, it's well worth the trade-off of increased safety for all.

I honestly do not get why so many people have an issue with it.
I have said this from the beginning...even if later it comes out that masks are just mildly effective, they are cheap and easy to use, why not use them?!

Susan1

Saw this on the dashboard: "ODH has been experiencing technical issues with the Ohio Disease Reporting System. Unfortunately, these technical issues resulted in an incorrect number of deaths reported on Thursday. The reporting issues have been resolved with today’s report. We regret the inconvenience these technical issues have caused."

Today -
Cases - 57,151 / 24 hour - 968 / 21 day average - 762
Tests - 865,069 (6.6% positive)

Presumed Recovered - 40,460
Formula: Cases - Deaths - Cases with an Onset Date in the Last 21 Days = Presumed Recovered.

Deaths - 2,911 / 24 hour - 4 / 21 day average - 17
Hosp - 8,172 / 24 hour - 61 / 21 day average - 61
ICU - 2,058 / 24 hour - 6 / 21 day average - 14

I was trying to find how many people are still in the hospital, but I ran across this zipcode map on the Montgomery County page (just for my curiosity). They update it every day.

If it means all the combined zip codes of one color add up to the 65 to 96 range (mine), that doesn't tell you about your specific zip code. The total presumed county count for July 2 was 1,978. We are with West Carrollton and Centerville and Moraine (all zip codes I go to) and nonadjacent splotches in North Dayton. 65-96 is quite a range. What if 90 of them are in your zip code? Or only 6?

Huber Heights (45424 - dark) is where they had the parade and food trucks and fireworks last night. What I saw on the news, they had lawn chairs and coolers around their cars, but they weren't separated by 6 feet. We did it different ways going to see fireworks at Delco Park. One time in (and on) the car from the shopping center parking lot across the street, one time we carried lawn chairs clear back to the fountain/pool/pond/whatever it was, one time we just carried a blanket across the street to sit on in the park, and the other times for concerts in the park, where you could easily sit 6 ft. from other groups.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
My husband is, for :rolleyes: reasons too complex to go into, driving to Utah this weekend. Yesterday he made it to Sidney, NE and stopped at a hotel. The clerk was not wearing a mask and looked at him like she was afraid of him. She finally asked if he was sick and he told her no, and she said, "I'm sorry, I just thought...well, you are wearing a mask."

So apparently there are places where wearing a mask is just not done.

Either that, or his eyes looked every bit as bad as they should have after a 16-hour drive :rolleyes:.

Debbie S

I'm in a building (hoping to move out of as soon as I can), trying not to catch YKW, and I am sick of the Covidiots who refuse to wear masks, and mgmt that is beyond stupid. I've been trying to use elevators on a different/less-populated side of the building, but today, I went down the main one and as the doors opened, two people were standing literally in front of the door, in my face, holding their masks in their hands (so they wear them outside but see no problem breathing on people when they are inside). Made no attempt to move out of my way when I exited. Mgmt continues to have one side of the front lobby blocked off (I was told in March that it was to prevent access to the leasing office...how nice, and for the record, they were only there 3 hours/day, Mon-Fri) and I emailed them to suggest that now they are back in the office, how about removing the barricades (which are probably also a fire code violation) so that we no longer have to walk in a narrow (barely 6 feet wide) space. Response from Idiot of the Day is the barricades are there to "encourage social distancing" - uh, what "distancing" would that be?

Usually, I'm able to go down the back lobby and/or the garage, but I do have to access the front lobby to get my mail, which I'm trying to do only once or twice a week.

And on my way to the store 2 blocks away, I ended up walking in the street part of the way (fortunately no cars coming) to avoid another unmasked Covidiot. At least the store had a wipes dispenser by the front door and was relatively uncrowded. An employee was standing outside the door with a clicker to monitor the number going in (although the exit is separate from the entrance so not sure how they register people leaving).

Multiple restaurants in the city, mostly in one particular young/hip area, have closed due to employees testing positive. :(

once_upon

New condo owner
Yesterday he made it to Sidney, NE and stopped at a hotel. The clerk was not wearing a mask and looked at him like she was afraid of him.
Yeah, not surprising. Ricketts says he thinks Nebraskans will "do the right thing" but if any community mandates masks they will lose funding. And solid Trump country

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Yesterday he made it to Sidney, NE and stopped at a hotel. The clerk was not wearing a mask and looked at him like she was afraid of him. She finally asked if he was sick and he told her no, and she said, "I'm sorry, I just thought...well, you are wearing a mask."

So apparently there are places where wearing a mask is just not done.
Yeah, that is solid Trump country out there. In some counties, Clinton didn't receive any votes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information