News & Experiences continued

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Just saw a story on the local news that they were having parties in Tuscaloosa, AL to purposely catch the crud.

What?!?!?:eek::eek::wideeyes::wideeyes::wideeyes:

This got debunked this morning. It was just morons having parties, not parties specifically to catch the plague, which is, of course, a hoax. :p

Debbie S

My college emailed its plans for next year to alums yesterday. I know it's necessary but it makes me sad...I wish they'd just do online for everyone, but I know in some disciplines, that's not practical. Right now, freshmen and sophomores will live on campus in the fall, juniors and seniors in the spring. Everyone in single rooms. Classes will be a mix of in-person and online, even for students on campus. Dining halls will have "limited seating with social distancing" or students can get their food and take it to their rooms. The usual cross-registration they have with a few nearby schools is canceled for the fall, spring is undecided. No shuttle buses that take students to nearby shops or the city. No visitors on campus and students can't go home, not even for Thanksgiving.

Students have to quarantine for 2 weeks prior to arriving, will be tested ("non-invasive", I guess the saliva test?) when they arrive, every 2-3 days for the first 2 weeks and then once a week thereafter. Faculty too. Masks and social distancing required.

As my mom said when I read her the email, "It sounds like jail." :(

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I suspect schools will open for about 6 weeks before they revert back to online learning.
That long? Usually I'm the optimist but I think they'll close sooner than that.

My college emailed its plans for next year to alums yesterday. I know it's necessary but it makes me sad...I wish they'd just do online for everyone, but I know in some disciplines, that's not practical. Right now, freshman and sophomores will live on campus in the fall, juniors and seniors in the spring. Everyone in single rooms. Classes will be a mix of in-person and online, even for students on campus. Dining halls will have "limited seating with social distancing" or students can get their food and take it to their rooms. The usual cross-registration they have with a few nearby schools is canceled for the fall, spring is undecided. No shuttle buses that take students to nearby shops or the city. No visitors on campus and students can't go home, not even for Thanksgiving.

Students have to quarantine for 2 weeks prior to arriving, will be tested ("non-invasive", I guess the saliva test?) when they arrive, every 2-3 days for the first 2 weeks and then once a week thereafter. Faculty too. Masks and social distancing required.

As my mom said when I read her the email, "It sounds like jail." :(
This is what I don't get... what is the point of that? IMO, instead of coming up with these elaborate plans to try to have some kids physically on-campus but in a way that almost completely erases the benefits of being on campus, they should put that energy into making online school the absolutely best experience it can be.

once_upon

New condo owner
Well I was going to say the first week of September, as schools here start mid August. But thought people would think that was too pessimistic.

skatfan

This is what I don't get... what is the point of that? IMO, instead of coming up with these elaborate plans to try to have some kids physically on-campus but in a way that almost completely erases the benefits of being on campus, they should put that energy into making online school the absolutely best experience it can be.
It's the same calculus for churches. By the time we put in all the safety measures, the whole point of gathering is defeated, and it's only for a small percentage of our membership. Plus we're in Arizona, so that makes not gathering much easier at this point.

once_upon

New condo owner
There is a church that some of my Facebook friends have been going to their in person services. They posted "we are serving communion this Sunday" link for this church.

It's going to be a long time before I start to attend in person services and even longer before I participate in communion.

Debbie S

Colleges are likely feeling pressure from parents and students who claim online education isn't comparable to in-person and not worth the tuition. So they want to get them on campus no matter what. Plus, there's the financial impact of forgoing room and board fees for a full year. At least in this scenario, they can collect something. But they said that any student who wants to do the full year online can (I wonder how that would work with things like science classes with lab, or art or music classes) and I suspect at least some students will choose that option.

Zemgirl

I suspect schools will open for about 6 weeks before they revert back to online learning.
There are quite a few countries that have successfully reopened schools (e.g. Denmark, Austria). There appear to be two key things that need to happen (1) the number of new cases has to be significantly reduced - so yes to parts of the Northeastern US, not so fast in the Sun Belt (2) adequate precautions have to be taken - distancing, small classes, masks as needed, more outdoor classes etc.

Israel had #1 going for it, but then stupidly went to super-crowded classes and did away with the mask requirement during a heatwave. That was a bad idea, but it doesn't mean that schools can't reopen, and honestly, it's not sustainable to stick with distance learning for a long time. Not for kids, especially low-income and special needs children, and not for their parents, who have to work. Every country and state that has yet to reopen successfully needs to learn from those who have been successful, because you need to have a functioning education system while we live with this.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Well I was going to say the first week of September, as schools here start mid August. But thought people would think that was too pessimistic.
That sounds about right. Go out for Labor Day, don't come back. Our schools open later but I'm still thinking 4 weeks tops with some schools closing after 2 weeks.

It's the same calculus for churches. By the time we put in all the safety measures, the whole point of gathering is defeated, and it's only for a small percentage of our membership. Plus we're in Arizona, so that makes not gathering much easier at this point.
I think that the people who are demanding churches and schools be open are not thinking it through. They are not going to get what they are thinking and want. It's not going to be back to the way it was for a long time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information