News & Experiences continued

Tony Wheeler

Politico.
Politico is not PolitcusUSA - whatever that is.

Also, as has been corrected or just ignored everywhere else for sheer stupidity, Oklahoma is only reporting the number of positive cases in their Monday reports, not the total cases administered.

So, it's not true and ridiculous, and it's why you can only find it on some random wanna-be website.

Debbie S

Here you can see how they are reporting in clumps. 14,000 tests one day to 300 and 100 the next? .....
That probably has to do with lab backups. I remember in April, we would have a stretch of days with about 500 new cases and then we'd get a day with over 1000...explanation was that there were delays in getting results from out of state labs.

Tony Wheeler

That probably has to do with lab backups. I remember in April, we would have a stretch of days with about 500 new cases and then we'd get a day with over 1000...explanation was that there were delays in getting results from out of state labs.
They are just reporting positive cases on Mondays and sometimes Tuesdays from what I can see in the charts, but it didn’t stop one outlet from running with the 100% positive rate ;)

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Since the end of May, roughly 75% of the new positives come from states Trump won in 2016.

His supporters have been less likely to support preventive measures, more likely to believe dangers were exaggerated and less likely to worry about friends or family contracting the *****. Some Republican governors followed the president’s lead, taking longer to issue stay-at-home orders, making the orders less strict when they did, and then more eagerly relaxing the limits on business operations in late April and May.

Already the latest surge is forcing some GOP governors to reverse course. It remains unclear whether it will also force GOP voters to reassess their opinion on the ***** and their leaders’ handling of the crisis.

The New York Times offered this tasty tidbit (without a link) in their evening briefing.

In North Carolina, more than 80 soldiers in a class of about 110 have tested positive for the ***** after three weeks of survival training.

I love the concept of this article but I'm too tired to read all the words. The gist seems to be that when everything kicked up, conspiracy theorists withdrew from society, which was just what the government wanted, but once the conspiracy theorists learned that was just what the government wanted, they stopped doing it. And what makes it even better is the conspiracy theorists who were studied weren't American. They were French!

People with heightened conspiracy mentality appear to have adopted behaviors to prevent the spread of *********-19 — at least until those behaviors were officially endorsed by the government. That’s the finding from a new study published in the British Journal of Health Psychology, which suggests that those who believe the world is actually controlled by hidden elites disengage with prevention measures when they are advocated by the government.

Orm Irian

We've had three new cases in SA this week - all from repatriation flights arriving from the subcontinent. Still no community transmission. Melbourne is really suffering right now, though; new case numbers around the 70s for a few days running and now ten hotspot suburbs have to go back into lockdown until the end of the month. They're following the model used in northwest Tasmania to accomplish this and I hope it will help them get those numbers down in the next week or so.

The big problem, apparently, was breaches of sanitary procedures committed by security guards at quarantine hotels for returned travellers - they took the infection out into the community and it went from there. That was compounded by family gatherings without social distancing etc, and there are a couple of workplace clusters too. Some politicians keep trying to blame it on the Melbourne BLM protest and all the health people are clearly getting very tired of repeating that no, there is no evidence that anyone either caught it at the protest or passed it on there.

Dobre

California had 8,000+ cases today & as someone mentioned, Newsom is planning to announce changes. (I hope he & the California health care system can do this. California is so sprawling & tough to wrangle, but so many people--I think it is very important for the health of the country as a whole).

Arizona doctors worry as ICUs fill: 'We’re leaving the hospital sometimes in tears'
https://tinyurl.com/y72fdhoz
(Hugs for Arizona).

Nevada has highest ******** transmission rate in the nation, data shows
https://tinyurl.com/y9kjohw7

Trump Campaign Cancels Rally in Alabama as ******** Cases Rise
https://tinyurl.com/y6uhyxgq
Thumbs up. (Perhaps approval ratings are not going up in states after he holds large rallies there in the midst of an epidemic?)

Professors push back — at least 95 faculty members concerned about Texas State’s reopening plan
https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/pro...-concerned-about-texas-states-reopening-plan/
(This is another school-related article about teachers with concerns about reopening. There is also an editorial in the Washington Post today arguing that universities cannot open safely. This is a change. Their previous editorials all seemed to be advocating reopening schools. This is the first time I've seen one there that is against opening a form of schooling).

SC (South Carolina) schools report more than 16,000 students have been unaccounted for since statewide school closures
https://www.wistv.com/2020/06/30/sc-schools-report-more-than-students-have-been-unaccounted-since-statewide-school-closures/
:(

New standards in history coming to North Carolina classrooms
https://www.wbtv.com/2020/06/30/new-standards-history-coming-north-carolina-classrooms/
:) Personal note: I generally role my eyes when yet more standards are added to finite school years, but I have been thinking that we really need to offer/require Modern American History (everything after the Civil War) as a separate course in high school. It sees there is a need. There's no mention of that here, but hopefully this is the start of many conversations about teaching U.S. History.

Idaho passes 6K, hits record for new *********-19 cases in one day: 365
https://tinyurl.com/y74u2jfj
(I did a double take on this. Idaho's numbers have been below ours in Oregon since mid-April. Not today. This is 120 more cases than Idaho's high in early April. The article didn't say anything about outbreaks except that Ada County/Boise's numbers are still high. They dropped down a phase recently).

48 more Alaskans and nonresidents test positive for ***** in state’s biggest daily case increase so far
https://tinyurl.com/ybztddxc
:(

Sad personal stories about loss starting to show up in the news in Arizona & Texas. And lots of contradictory stuff. You get an article about how bad things are getting for health care workers & then one about how gym owners are refusing to close. Feels like we're in that hard place, where politicians are having to pull in the reins & we don't know if the illness can be constrained & people are rebelling but public sentiment is starting to turn the other way again.

Last edited:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Analyzing all the numbers, my formulas predicted that we would not hit the 30k per day mark in the US until around July 4th, topping out at 40-60K by mid to late July. Well I threw that out the window on Monday. New numbers indicate 60K possible first week of this month hitting 100-120K by mid to late month.

Folks, this shit is out of control.

The one very interesting and hopeful sign, the percentage of deaths to cases is falling and has been for the last month both here and around the world. If this trend continues, hopefully most people will only get sick and not progress to more serious conditions.

Buzz

missing

Analyzing all the numbers, my formulas predicted that we would not hit the 30k per day mark in the US until around July 4th, topping out at 40-60K by mid to late July. Well I threw that out the window on Monday. New numbers indicate 60K possible first week of this month hitting 100-120K by mid to late month.

Folks, this shit is out of control.

The one very interesting and hopeful sign, the percentage of deaths to cases is falling and has been for the last month both here and around the world. If this trend continues, hopefully most people will only get sick and not progress to more serious conditions.
I've been thinking about the mortality rate in the U.S. and my guess is what's made the number of deaths go down is the extreme difference in deaths in New York and New Jersey between April/May and June.

I remember when Gov. Cuomo noted NY's fatality number for the previous day was at (or just under) 100. It was noteworthy because it was so low. Yet yesterday, California had the highest fatality number at just over 100.

I don't know how exactly the numbers would play out, but since NY/NJ was adding about a thousand deaths a day for several weeks and is now adding closer to 100, that should make a difference in the overall numbers and percentages.

quartz

almost, but not quite
Ontario reported 157 new infections yesterday with most in the Windsor-Essex region. We are doing really well but I worry about people becoming complacent and the problems in the US seeping cross the boarder.
https://tinyurl.com/y9trhxb3

I am personally so happy to see that Cineplex will be reopening some theatres in some provinces but unfortunately not Ontario just yet.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cin...r-178-million-loss-in-first-quarter-1.5005436
I am one hour from a US border crossing, 2 hours from another and 2.5 from a third. Ohio is 50 miles away from me on the other side of Lake Erie. All my family is in the States and we were supposed to have a family reunion this summer - I haven’t seen some of them in 6 years. But I totally agree that I do not want anyone non-essential crossing that border! I have accepted that I may not see my family for another year, maybe two. :(

There is only one county between me and Windsor-Essex, and we have a large agriculture segment here in SW Ontario. This region brings in 20,000 TFW, mostly from Mexico, Guatemala and Jamaica and it is next to impossible to keep to the health and safety guidelines in the working and living conditions of farms and bunkhouses. Many of these workers are here for 6 months or more at a time, and have been coming here for years - they are a very important part of our communities. That they are getting hit hard with the damn 91-divoc is heartbreaking. :(

VGThuy

I think people who believe this current situation is the second wave are going to be hugely surprised in November/December when a true second wave hits.

We know nothing about this disease.
Exactly. How can we have a second wave if we are still going through the first wave?

SkateSand

Cat Servant
They had a grand opening here for a new supermarket today. For the first 200 people, they gave you $10 gift card, a 24 ounce water cup with lid and straw, a disposable face mask, a tubular bandana, a small bottle of hand sanitizer, and two sanitizer wipe packets. I thought it was a nice touch. So I now have a homemade cotton sock face mask, a disposable face mask, and three tubular bandanas. I also have a face shield on order from Amazon. I think I'm set. :lol:

Last edited:

Yehudi

Proving the ocean is pink
I've been thinking about the mortality rate in the U.S. and my guess is what's made the number of deaths go down is the extreme difference in deaths in New York and New Jersey between April/May and June.

I remember when Gov. Cuomo noted NY's fatality number for the previous day was at (or just under) 100. It was noteworthy because it was so low. Yet yesterday, California had the highest fatality number at just over 100.

I don't know how exactly the numbers would play out, but since NY/NJ was adding about a thousand deaths a day for several weeks and is now adding closer to 100, that should make a difference in the overall numbers and percentages.
what made it go down is increased testing. Back in April, only those who had a referral from their doctor could get tested and doctors we’re only testing those who were pretty sick. Now they’re catching those with mild or no symptoms

missing

what made it go down is increased testing. Back in April, only those who had a referral from their doctor could get tested and doctors we’re only testing those who were pretty sick. Now they’re catching those with mild or no symptoms
Increased and less targeted testing, absolutely.

missing

More than 7000 kids have tested positive in Florida.

Kids and teens infected with the disease will likely be asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms, Mestre said, but it doesn’t mean they can’t spread the disease to their family members or others in the community who might be at higher risk for more serious complications.

Doctors also worry that kids and teenagers may also be at risk of falling ill with multi-system inflammatory syndrome, a rare inflammatory disorder believed to be linked to *********-19.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
California had 8,000+ cases today & as someone mentioned, Newsom is planning to announce changes. (I hope he & the California health care system can do this. California is so sprawling & tough to wrangle, but so many people--I think it is very important for the health of the country as a whole).
I think we'll be fine for the most part. The Counties that are the most oppositional are also the ones with small, less dense populations so even if they thumb their noses at the new restrictions, assuming they even apply to those counties, they can cause minimal damage. But I think even some of them have learned their lesson. If you only have a handful of ICU beds in your county and they all fill up in a matter of days, that has to be sobering.

And all the cases around graduation parties will hopefully cause people not to have 4th of July parties and to realize that just because people are related, it doesn't mean they can stop physically distancing.

It was NYC that made it look like the US was bending the curve when it wasn't.

I find it interesting that numbers that are causing CA to wring its collective hands and stop re-opening are being celebrated in NY even though they have about 10 million fewer people than we do. Not to say that CA should stop wringing our hands. Just that everything is relative.

I think people went a bit nuts here when restrictions were first being lifted. If we get things back under control and people follow the basic safety protocols, I am sure we can re-open back up. (But not if they continue to try to open up schools.) From what I've seen, people are mostly wearing masks outside and definitely inside in my town and people do seem to be taking things seriously.

Dobre

I find it interesting that numbers that are causing CA to wring its collective hands and stop re-opening are being celebrated in NY even though they have about 10 million fewer people than we do. Not to say that CA should stop wringing our hands. Just that everything is relative.
Just an FYI, that the second quote above is not mine. It must have accidentally kept my username on it after editing because the top quote was mine.

Dobre

I think people went a bit nuts here when restrictions were first being lifted. If we get things back under control and people follow the basic safety protocols, I am sure we can re-open back up.
I think one has to really take into account the lower income people needing to return to work. It's more than people going nuts. And not everyone has a say in the safety protocols in their industries. (Or rather, a lot of people have to fight for them).

https://news.yahoo.com/racial-and-e...urge-in-states-like-california-165346057.html

Imperial County (which shut down again) has a large Latino population and has high poverty & high unemployment.

Another good news article about the positive impact mask requirements are having in rural Yakima County, WA.
https://www.capitalpress.com/state/...cle_dd3a150c-bb15-11ea-81a7-fb6a06b83a4e.html

Last edited:

Susan1

I just had my lawn guys clean out the downspout at the end of my garage after they were done mowing and edging. It was backing up and pouring over the gutter and leaking into the garage when it rained really hard. I could hear it gurgling clear over by the front door. I had on my mask, they didn't. They couldn't possibly wear masks in the heat and the humidity, especially today, with the hot mower and leaf blower going. I could feel the heat of the riding mower from the other side of the yard. They got the ladder out and put it back. I'll never touch it since I can't use it, so I don't need to disinfect it. I didn't get closer than 6 ft. until they were in their truck (together) and I handed one guy two cold bottles of water. Then I came in and used hand sanitizer, even though I didn't touch anything they touched. They should be worried that I touched the bottles. ha I have to have them do this once every summer and they don't charge me.

There are really dark clouds but there is not a thing on the radar. It's not as humid as it was earlier. If I would have known when they'd get here, I would have planned to pick up my library books at 4:00. Now I'll have to go out in tomorrow's heat.

missing

A Yale University study estimates a substantial discrepancy in the previous fatality numbers.

The 781,000 total deaths in the United States in the three months through May 30 were about 122,300, or nearly 19% higher, than what would normally be expected, according to the researchers. Of the 122,300 excess deaths, 95,235 were attributed to *********-19, they said. Most of the rest of the excess deaths, researchers said, were likely related to or directly caused by the ********.

*********-19 affects nearly every system in the body, including the circulatory system, leading to an uptick in heart attacks and strokes that physicians now believe were indirectly caused by the *****.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Governor Newsom's Daily Briefing with the big announcement:

1) Closing down: Focus on certain sectors with big spread to close certain indoor operations. Applies to all counties who have been on the County Monitoring list for 3 consecutive days. There are 19. (Mine isn't one of them but we haven't opened up indoor stuff very much at all so there is nothing to close. Two counties on either end of us are though.) They account for 75% of the state's population.

They are: restaurants (indoor dining), wineries & tasting rooms, movie theatres, family entertainment centers, zoos & museums, cardrooms.

Trying to move as much as possible outdoors rather than closing. Can't close the tribal casinos on sovereign land, but working with them closely.

BARS got its own slide!! They are closing in the 19 counties, not just inside but outside.

2) State Beach Closures: all parking lots are closed this weekend. If a county closes local beaches, the state will close state beaches in that county. State parks that are open have measures in place to limit overcrowding.

3) Fourth of July Weekend:
-Counties on the list should consider canceling firework shows
-Californias should not gather with people they do not live with
-Avoid crowds

Goal is to get through the weekend safely and not have a spike in a few weeks' time.

Family gatherings are universally causing the spread of C19. Yes, that's what the 4th of July is all about. Please reconsider having them. People have good intentions but over the course of these gatherings, people loosen up and mingle more than they should.

Please don't convince yourself that people aren't still dying. 110 people died yesterday. They won't be celebrating 4th of July with their families. Take that seriously.

(4) Enforcement
Multi-Agency Strike teams. Will target non-compliant workspaces. Includes ABC (alcohol), CalOSHA, Dept. of Business Oversight, Dept of Consumer Affairs, CHP. And 12 others. Teams will build partnerships with local public health dept. and businesses. The lion's share of enforcement happens at the county level.

Individuals just need to exercise responsibility. Naive to believe we can do much more. (i.e., no fines if you don't wear a mask)

But when businesses thumb their noses at safety, it puts workers' lives at risk. We want to educate, encourage, and give people time to come into compliance. Don't want to be punitive. But we reserve the right to have fiscal consequences (fines and stuff?).

June 30th stats:
5,898 new cases. 14-day positivity rate is up to 6%. (14 days ago, it was 4.6%)
Hospitalizations: 5.2% (C19 patients only)
ICU beds: 15% are being used by C19 patients.

This is not surprising. It was anticipated, especially since we didn't have that big spike as some other states did.

We still have capacity. We are using about 50% of our hospital beds and only 7% of those are for C19 patients. We built increased capacity during the Stage 1 SIP. Have over 11,000 ventilators in our system.

(5) Reminders: Wear a face covering, physically distance, wash your hands

We have adequate PPE. We have 100s of millions of masks. We have enough that we are providing them to other industries, not just healthcare, and even to other states. (Gave a couple mil to AZ recently)

Just because you won't get a ticket, do the right thing and wear a mask. It's a sign of toughness, a sign of caring, a sign of commitment to your community, being a leader, and bunch of other buzzwords I didn't catch. :lol:

Q&A was a bust as all the press got dropped! So Newsom talked about contact tracing while they tried to fix it. We have over 10,000 that have been trained by week's end (i.e., EOD tomorrow)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 30, Guests: 21)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information