News & Experiences continued

Tony Wheeler

No. The C-19 is the last straw.
If you frequented this location enough to know there is a high turnover and equate that to bad ownership/management and also have seen the inside enough to know that it's dirty, I still question why you chose to repeatedly go back to that location when there are other obvious options. Your initial rant also had nothing to do with any of the extra details. It just still isn't making sense to me that you chose to go to THAT location, for a simple cup of McDonalds coffee, during a reopening phase where numbers almost everywhere are going up, and initially singling them out for a situation that could and is happening everywhere. :confused:

MacMadame

Staying at home
I'm sure that when these things happen, all of said employees would go get tested as well, or at least get tested before coming back.
You would think that but the anecdotes I am seeing show that response is all over the place.

In the SF Bay Area, a place that has been cautious about re-opening, there were two grocery stores that had positive employees, in two counties that border on each other. One (mine) which is the least re-opened of any county here, told the employees to go get a test but made no effort to give them tests or even monitor if they got tested. The grocery never shut down. The other grocery shut down, tested all employees, quarantined any that tested positive, deep cleaned, and re-opened.

This sort of anecdote is happening all over the country and it contributes to a lot of people staying home even though stores might be re-opening.

And speaking of "f that place', I am not going back to my preferred grocery for a long time because I've seen enough to know they clearly aren't taking this seriously.

Tony Wheeler

This sort of anecdote is happening all over the country and it contributes to a lot of people staying home even though stores might be re-opening.
I'm sure some places do take caution much more than others. I mentioned previously that my microdermabrasion office (they also do Botox and fillers, other smaller procedures) has the employees tested every week and each person coming in has to have their temperature recorded. Is this happening at Publix? Probably not. But it could even be argued that a temperature check isn't 'enough' for some people (Patient A has it, shows no symptoms, passes it to the doctor, doctor passes it to B C D E F G and then gets tested a week later and finds out).

And with that, I think there has to be an assumed risk anyone takes by leaving their front door. Sure, it's highly unlikely that someone is going to run up to you, cough all over you and run away, but being inside a grocery store is taking a little bit more of a risk than just walking down the street alone. Restaurants and bars are another level, as is the gym or something like movie theaters, or anything social really. That's why this 'OMG I can't believe this happened! I will never go back!' type of reaction is somewhat baffling. Order delivery on any of the many food apps- but you're still making someone else go through all of that. So perhaps just brew your own coffee at home? It might even taste a whole lot better :)

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
San Quentin Prison is showing high levels of positives.

Some 1,011 people incarcerated at San Quentin tested positive for *********-19 as of 7:45 a.m. California time Monday, according to data from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. That means more than 1 in 4 of the prison’s total population of 3,507 has been infected. State data also show that 89 staff members at San Quentin have *********-19. Officials are now conducting mass testing at San Quentin on the incarcerated population; testing of all staff has been completed.

once_upon

New condo owner
Unless you are able to go completely off grid, have food and supplies for 18 months, and never have any contact with others, there is risk.

One just has to determine the amount of risk one can tolerate. I'm risk adverse, I'm very cautious but will still do take out. However, when you have a laundry list of complaints against a business making the current ********* as the last straw but dont list the other things in addition to the ***** seems a little weird.

There is one local restaurant that reportedly had 2 positive employees (rumor), they didnt address yes or no and does not talk about their practices and I witness their employees not wearing masks - I'm not doing takeout from there. Of course, they weren't on my list to do repeat business anyway because the last time I went there my food was overcooked, burnt.

missing

Is air conditioning helping to spread CV19 in the South?

Edward Nardell, professor of medicine and of global health and social medicine at Harvard Medical School (HMS) and professor of environmental health and of immunology and infectious diseases at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, said that hot summer temperatures can create situations similar to those in winter, when respiratory ailments tend to surge, driving people indoors to breathe — and rebreathe —air that typically is little refreshed from outside.

“The states that, in June, are already using a lot of air conditioning because of high temperatures are also the places where there’s been greater increases in spread of *********-19, suggesting more time indoors as temperatures rise,” Nardell said. “The same [thing] happens in wintertime, with more time indoors.”

Susan1

We-lllll. I'm sorry I said I wish he would talk about Montgomery County. On the noon news, Jim Otte of WHIO was at the Statehouse, which he only is on news conference days. He said DeWine was going to talk about Montgomery County at 2:00 today. AARRGGHH.

And that I said he should spread them out instead of Tuesday/Thursday? DeWine and his wife are having a roundtable discussion with the first lady tomorrow, when he was going to have the update. And some other people, I'll have to look, about children's services/foster care and disparities for minorities. Yeah, sure. What could she possibly have to contribute. Do they need to give her something to do while she's on her way out?

It was a long one. Numbers and comments later, but they are still worried about Hamilton and Montgomery counties. He even brought us/them up with the VP on their conference call, to get more help with testing.

So, Montgomery county - I wrote so much stuff all over a bunch of half pieces of paper, I don't know what's specific or what's Ohio. It's going to take me awhile: (I should wait till the DDN prints it!)

We went from an average of 10 cases per day at the end of May to 40 per day last week. Hospitalizations have doubled since the first week of June. Last week was the first week of increase since June 20. Outpatient visits have gone from 7 to 27 per day. We "were" doing a good job with the stay at home. Duh.

A Dr. Doan from Montgomery County Health Department was skyped in. He said all the usual things. And the increase is caused by community spread, centered around workplaces and specific events. Plus 1/3 of the cases are in their 20s and 30s. They usually don’t get as sick, but they can have as many long term lung complications down the road. Be aware of your situation. If it is too crowded or people aren't wearing masks, find an alternative. Duh. They won't. He said the upcoming holiday is going to bad. Big fat hairy duh.

Hamilton county also doubled from June 11, as we heard on Thursday. All surrounding counties of us and Cincinnati should also be on alert. Where did I find that zip code map? Cleveland was mentioned as the third area of concern.

DeWine said there are 7 metrics that determine an "alert". Montgomery County had 4 bad ones and Hamilton County had 5 bad ones. A reporter later asked if he would make those public. He will talk about the "7 Metrics" on Thursday. And I don't feel like looking for it.

Back to Ohio, with notes -

Total cases - 51,046
Tests - 770,860 (6.6ish positivity)
He said positivity was 4.7 last month. He explained, and had to explain to a reporter (duh) again later, that with more widespread testing, you expect the positivity number to go down. Because you aren't just testing people with symptoms or the vulnerable that you would expect would be positive. So, not good.

Hospitalizations - 7,746
Last week, was the first increase in hospitalizations.

In late April, there were ~1,000 people IN the hospital, 513 on June 20. He said that 500-550 people were still in the hospital last week. This week it is up to 650 people.

Still adequate hospital/ICU/ventilator capacity. (me - look out calculator…) That's ~8.4%, so 91.6 have gotten better (or died?)? And I still want to know what the correlation between hospital and ICU is. Do they take them off the hospital count when they get sicker and go into the ICU from already being in the hospital? Or do they go right to the ICU and then "graduate" to plain hospital room? Where are they counted?

ICU - 1,961

Healthcare workers - 6,988 (14% of cases)

Deaths - 2,818

Columbus - 8,982 / 395 (hosp. 1,051)
Cleveland - 6,694 / 352 (hosp. 1,437)
Cleveland had slightly higher numbers than Columbus at the beginning, but they were always within a couple hundred, and then Columbus shot right past them awhile ago and is still way "ahead". They are still close in deaths, but hosp. is the opposite of the case difference?)

A reporter mentioned that Franklin county has the highest numbers, why aren't they bringing in people to talk about that? And that the Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Health Commissioner thought they re-opened bars and restaurants too early. Me - Nobody forced them to re-open. There are ongoing discussions.

Cincinnati - 4,922 / 191 (same)
Dayton (still 9th) - 1,646 / 23 (8 are in their 80s, 7 in their 60s) / 276 hosp.

Current health dept. orders are staying in place through the end of the week. And they are working on more plans for the next phase.

He said it was the most troubling thing to him that nursing home visitation hasn't been allowed, but protecting the residents and visitors was the highest priority. People have told him that it is affecting their loved ones. That they are going downhill without the personal interaction and Alzheimer's patients are more confused. So, beginning July 20, convalescent care facilities will begin having outdoor visits, with all the protocols and safety precautions they've had with assisted living since June 6.

The National Guard guy was skyped and he said they have tested over 250 nursing homes (Springboro, finally?) - over 25K people. They are still continuing testing, so once a nursing home has been cleared, they can start outdoor visitations. And they will know where problems might be. Later a reporter asked how he can justify that with the higher numbers. I was wondering the same thing.

19 more pop-ups. National Guard guy said they have built capacity so as not to take away from nursing home testing.

Q's about safety of teachers, not just students, if they go back. It's important. (This was a big "duh" day.) Also adults involved with childcare.

Contact tracing has been successful.

Are the protesters responsible for some of the spread. No hard data, but "duh".

Are people following mass gathering guidelines? Duh. (Actually, he said "you'er seeing it and reporting on it". Some are complying and some aren't.

There were guys from RCF on skype. It had something to do with hospitals? DeWine gives people's complete resumes and I tune out. They talked about best practices and leading by example (trump?). As employees come back, it's not just how safe they are there, but they have conversations about their risk at home too. Later Lt. Gov. mentioned leadership, and what are you doing to make the situation better (trump?).

A reporter asked if DeWine had any regrets, like TX, from reopening. He tried the mandatory mask thing, but trumpers got pissy. (Oh, wait, he said it didn't go over very well with some people). 😊 There are dire consequences of not being open and they tried to make it as safe as possible.

Jim Otte, Dayton, asked if we are going to end up going down the same path as some states. He said it frightens him and that is not what we want our future to be. We DID a phenomenal job at the beginning. And people should wear masks. Duh. Here's a new one - "masks are a symbol of freedom". If 75-80% of people wore masks, the numbers will go down. They will talk about county by county closing/restrictions for the problem areas.

The always contrary reporter (I'll have to write down where he is from. I bet he only wears a mask to the press conferences. They are in another room and step up to a microphone separately.) who asks multi-part obnoxious questions asked if 40% of the test results were wrong. No. And if someone goes to a hospital for something else and is tested and is positive, are they counted in the case numbers. I didn't hear an actual answer to that one.

They are doing antibody testing and will be doing more (availability). Will get back with data on Thursday.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
A couple of random things...

In my neck of the woods (Joliet, IL which is about 50 miles SW of Chicago):
1) People DO know how to wear masks! Based on what folks have been saying up-thread, I'm pretty amazed that I didn't notice anybody WITHOUT a mask during my dreaded trip to Walmart today.
2) People DO NOT know how to follow arrows at the end of aisles. At least not the people who go to Walmart. This drives me batsh*t cRaZy! Come on people! How hard IS this?

I ran into a professional acquaintance on Saturday. He owns a business that sells golf carts. That is all they sell, and he does not sell ANY golf carts to golf courses. He told me his sales are up substantially over last year. What??? I asked what he thinks is going on with that. He said 1) stimulus checks 2) tax refunds 3) savings from all the bars/restaurants being closed. Most of his customers are buying carts to tool around their neighborhoods. While this is not the case in Joliet, several smaller communities around us do not require any sort of license to drive golf carts on the streets. I continue to find it interesting which businesses seem to be prospering during this time. I'm pretty sure this surge in golf cart sales for non-golf purposes does not say anything good about social distancing around here!

Maybe I found this interesting since it's one of the very few in-person conversations I've had with anyone other than Mr. Doggy in over 3 months! :p

manhn

British Columbia: 26 cases over three days. No deaths.

At least 3 people have tested positive at a strip club. This particular strip club tried to open under the "restaurant" exemption but did not follow proper social distancing protocols (shocker). Contact tracing is underway. With restaurants, you are supposed to obtain the phone number of at least 1 person in a dining group. I wonder if they did that here? This strip club was "higher end" so I am thinking that the majority of "purchases" were done via credit card, not cash.

Dobre

Wheee! Governor Brown is expanding the mask mandate to all of Oregon, starting on July 1st.

Big, big test will be to see if the owner of my local grocery store & his son, who also works there, are wearing masks when I go shopping next. I predict no, but I am crossing my fingers for yes. Don't even care that much about the other customers at this point. It is the checkers at the store that I have to talk with & get within 6 feet of & whom I think are the obvious hub for this disease to spread all over the county.

There isn't really a better option for where to buy groceries here. I could drive twice as far and go to another grocery store where no one has been wearing masks. Or in a different direction to another grocery store where no one has been wearing masks & there isn't enough stock to live on anyway. Employees are wearing masks in the city a couple hours away, but then I would have to use a public restroom along the way so not an improvement + a really long trip and more customers using the store. I could maybe get pick up & delivery at the Wallmart an hour & a half away, but they've had many more cases in that county so that makes me wary of buying produce from there. (Though I might do it to restock on nonperishable stuff toward the end of the summer).

It would be so much better if the staff at my local store would wear them. Fingers crossed.

Also it would be really good if the staff at the hardware store would wear the masks because my dad has to go in there when he buys stuff for working around the house.

Last edited:

quartz

almost, but not quite
My town is losing almost 500 jobs with the just announced closure of our Marriott call centre. Huge blow to our community.

Our local health unit which covers 2 counties (pop about 200,000) lists our total cases at 83, with 4 deaths.

I’ve been doing a little more non-essential shopping (antique and thrift stores) the past couple weeks, and scoring some great stuff. The health and safety stuff is tedious and a pain, of course, but I am determined to have something fun in my life.

skatfan

Finally Ducey puts out some real actions to control things. Closing bars, gyms and pools. No gatherings of more than 50 people. No more than 10 people at pools. I was planning an event in our church parking lot in cars for this Sunday but I guess I’ll have to postpone now.

edited to add: apparently churches and political rallies are exempt from the 50 person rule. Since my event is in cars I think we'll go ahead, but really? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

skipaway

A couple of random things...

2) People DO NOT know how to follow arrows at the end of aisles. At least not the people who go to Walmart. This drives me batsh*t cRaZy! Come on people! How hard IS this?
It is hard. After over 50 years of grocery shopping, where I never needed to look down to check for an arrow, I can’t seem to remember to do it. I’m getting better, but am only about 50%. :shuffle:

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
It is hard. After over 50 years of grocery shopping, where I never needed to look down to check for an arrow, I can’t seem to remember to do it. I’m getting better, but am only about 50%. :shuffle:
I encourage you to keep trying! It really does feel safer when everyone is moving in the same direction rather than passing face to face.

MacMadame

Staying at home
San Quentin Prison is showing high levels of positives.

Some 1,011 people incarcerated at San Quentin tested positive for *********-19 as of 7:45 a.m. California time Monday, according to data from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. That means more than 1 in 4 of the prison’s total population of 3,507 has been infected. State data also show that 89 staff members at San Quentin have *********-19. Officials are now conducting mass testing at San Quentin on the incarcerated population; testing of all staff has been completed.
This is a big part of Newsom's press briefing today. They are on it. Also, they are working with Imperial county to get them back into SIP since their current case rate is over 25%! The state average has crept up from 4+% to 5.4% (14-day rolling average, 7-day rolling average is 5.9% :eek:) I bet Imperial County is a large part of that.

There are 7 other counties where they ordered bars closed and 8 more where they recommended it but didn't require it. There are 19 counties that are being watched, which means they get extra resources along with the extra attention. That's about 1/3 of the counties.

Though the state is on target to have 10,000 trained contact tracers by Wed. And we're regularly going over our goal of 100,000 tests per day.

My county just announced that they are staying in the phase we are in and not opening more stuff up June 30th as they had planned. I think this means no swimming pools but it's not clear. We are also not where we should be in terms of contact tracers and available PPE.

However, the local reservoir is open starting today so we are going to swim there for a while. Starting tomorrow!

MacMadame

Staying at home
I forgot to say that the Governor talked about different counties got on the watch list and it was different for different counties. So Sacramento County has a bit uptick because people had large parties of relatives. San Quentin is in Marin County and they have 1000 positive prisoners and a bunch of staffs so that put up their numbers. In Imperial County it's that people stopped staying at home in general (based on cell phone data). So people moving all over spread it all over.

Those are the basic transmission vectors -- not staying home, facilities where there is a dense, trapped population, and large gatherings of people not in your household.

Susan1

I encourage you to keep trying! It really does feel safer when everyone is moving in the same direction rather than passing face to face.
I haven't really been in anywhere crowded enough to follow arrows. They don't have them at Kroger. They have an arrow in at one door and an arrow out at the other door at the little Kroger, which I've always thought was a good idea for normal times because you have to go around the corner going out at the same time someone is coming in. And somebody has to wait. But nobody follows them now. They just go in and out the same door closest to their car. So do I. If there is a person coming toward me in an aisle, I just turn my head. Meijer doesn't have arrows, but it is big enough you don't really run into people. Heck, if you are behind someone going the same direction and they stop, you just go around them easily. I haven't been in anything but the food side though.

When I went to Staples to get my computer, I had to walk around while I was waiting for the cash register to come back up. They had arrows, so I followed them. The ONLY other person in the store came down my aisle the wrong way. Later that night, when I went to get the mouse, there were arrows all over Walmart, but nobody was following them. I went straight back to electronics through the kitchen stuff and straight back down to the self-check-out. That's the only time I've been in there for months.

myhoneyhoney

I went to my dentist today. I was the only one in the waiting room. As soon as I walked in, I was told to use the hand sanitizer. I got the usual health screening questions and got my temp checked. Got my 2 monts overdue cleaning done and I go back next week for fillings. I was terrified of going but once there, I felt safe. Everyone wore masks.

It was nice to see my dentist again, she knows I'm a scardy cat. It feels good to know my teeth repairs and restoration is back on track.

love skating

Clueless American
LA County is closing beaches again for the holiday weekend. We had a record number of new cases today...sigh. At least when I go into stores I see 99-100% masks. It is mandatory here after all. It's so frustrating that we have had these measures for quite some time and yet remain a hot spot. Wish more people would take it seriously and do their part to stop the spread!

Debbie S

I'm sure that when these things happen, all of said employees would go get tested as well, or at least get tested before coming back. And as @Miezekatze pointed out, there's also the possibility that it came from a customer, who could've gone from A to B to C and had the same thing happen to employees in each location.
Yes, I agree that a customer could have been Patient 0. But however an employee or multiple employees got infected, I never hear about quarantine. The store may be requiring it, but the only thing I've heard announced when an employee at ________ tests positive is the place closed early for cleaning and opened the next day, and it's inferred that everything is fine/over.

I just try to minimize my time in stores and avoid other people. Thursday, I'm getting a haircut and I'm nervous, but the shop is taking a lot of precautions (and reading about how the hair stylists who tested positive but didn't pass it on to customers b/c they were all wearing masks makes me feel better) and I do need a haircut. And next Thursday is the dentist (6-month appt made in December), but they have a whole list of procedures and I figure health care facilities are being as vigilant as possible.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Our county hospitalizations have gone up. A month ago we had no one hospitalized, and now over the last week or so, we have 12. Most of the hospitalizations are from a congregate care facility, which means it's either an assisted living/nursing home, jail, homeless shelter, or group home, but the health department would not specify. Most of the hospitalized are under 50 years old (with some 20 and 30 year olds included), but there are a couple over 80. I hope not, but I'm guessing our death rate may go up, too, as in the previous hospitalizations here less than 50% ended up being released. :( Our figures are still very low compared to other counties, but the increase is concerning.

Dobre

Unions sue three Nevada casino properties, claiming dangerous working conditions
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-********-nevada-lawsuit/unions-sue-three-nevada-casino-properties-claiming-dangerous-working-conditions-idUSKBN24030N

Israel in second wave of ********: health minister
(Country reported 668 new cases in 24 hours on Thursday, highest daily number since April 3)
https://tinyurl.com/yctanr4n

This is a follow-up article to one I posted yesterday:
After 100% ICU capacity debacle, Houston hospitals change how they report numbers
https://tinyurl.com/yak5borv

Montana reports new single day record high number of *********-19 cases
https://tinyurl.com/ybnfe5sx
56 cases in Montana today. Not so good. They were down below 4 cases for about a month. This is about 20 more than their March peak. The most cases today were in Yellowstone County. (Tourists having an impact?)

New York Announces Lowest Number Of Hospitalizations During The *********

https://tinyurl.com/y8x9e2xv
:)

Facebook Boycott Grows: Ford Joins Coca-Cola, Starbucks And Other Brands
https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/06/29/884881853/facebook-boycott-grows-ford-joins-coca-cola-starbucks-and-other-brands
(Wow, we're getting to the big brand names now).

once_upon

New condo owner
I think people who believe this current situation is the second wave are going to be hugely surprised in November/December when a true second wave hits.

We know nothing about this disease.

missing

Except for New York's numbers, every piece of news these days is bad, so I thought I'd put in a cheery article to brighten our collective mood.

The New York City Public Library Lions Are Now Wearing Masks.

Patience and Fortitude, the iconic lion sculptures guarding the 42nd Street library, are wearing face coverings to remind New Yorkers to stay safe and stop the spread of *********-19.

The masks arrived on June 29, and measure three feet wide by two feet tall, according to a library statement.

New York Public Library President Anthony Marx emphasized the symbolism of the aptly named lions, and said New Yorkers are similarly strong and resilient.

I confess that sometimes the mask I wear feels like it's 3 ft. wide by 2 ft. tall, but if it's good enough for Patience and Fortitude, it's good enough for me.

Tony Wheeler

I think people who believe this current situation is the second wave are going to be hugely surprised in November/December when a true second wave hits.

We know nothing about this disease.
Honestly, if anything, it may just push the second wave back to whenever people get comfortable again-- if that happens. The countries that have it mostly locked down wouldn't be wise to reopen to populations that have it wildly out of control.

I think everyone has to get realistic about sitting this one out until it's really done for. And for the US, that clearly means a vaccine.

once_upon

New condo owner
Honestly, if anything, it may just push the second wave back to whenever people get comfortable again-- if that happens. The countries that have it mostly locked down wouldn't be wise to reopen to populations that have it wildly out of control.

I think everyone has to get realistic about sitting this one out until it's really done for. And for the US, that clearly means a vaccine.
Yeah, we were conference calling our friends who were going to Australia with us in November. We agreed to cash out the trip, but then our travel agent presented a new alternative that includes a 125% future cruise option. We were lamenting that we would like to go out to eat soon. But recognize that wont be happening any time in the near future.

I suspect the four of us will be so starved for companionship we may consider meeting for drinks at our house or theirs. Except their granddaughter is expecting and due in the next four weeks. They will want to hold the new little guy and will be more restrictive so they feel comfortable meeting Beau.

It will be vaccine before our group of 12 have dinner again as all but four are over 65 and everyone of us have preexisting conditions.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information