News & Experiences continued

VGThuy

My son's life long best friend has C-19 (36 year old). His grandma begged him to come visit her, saying she lives in a rural area with no cases. Except there are. Five days later he has symptoms.

They had been really good at staying home because he has 4 kids under 8.

Just because you are young doesnt make you immune.
That’s why I see red when I see some posters treating this whole thing dismissively and paint those taking precautions as cowering in fear. Plus where did they get that phrase from? Infowars?

Jenny

From the Bloc
So sorry to hear that @once_upon and this is what scares me too. It only takes one wrong move and then you're sick and what about his family now?

once_upon

Voter
I just read that Trump is going to withhold funding for testing sites.

Then I read some other official said no funds were being withheld.

Then I read where several testing sites in Texas are closing due to lack of funding, despite rising cases in Texas.

I guess there are ways to lower testing rates so his numbers look better.

once_upon

Voter
So sorry to hear that @once_upon and this is what scares me too. It only takes one wrong move and then you're sick and what about his family now?
Currently he is self isolating/quarantining in a separate area of their house. His wife is negative C-19 for now. If they both get it, it will be very difficult. His parents are dead, her parents live in another state and it wouldn't be easy to get help with the kids.

They've always been really careful about exposure to any potential for things like Influenza. When his wife was working, they did opposite shifts so one of them was home with the oldest. When it wasnt possible, I would be their care provider. After the second one was born, I think she quit work.

Jenny

From the Bloc
@once_upon they sound like good people who are doing their best to do the right thing. I really hope it works out for them.

My husband is going to see his elderly parents today. He's bringing his own lunch, they sit 10 feet apart in the backyard and enjoy their separate lunches while they talk, then he comes home without ever going inside their house. He's doing it this way as much to protect us as to make the point to them, because they also have this "there aren't any cases in our area" view, and while they aren't exactly ignoring it, they aren't being nearly as careful as he thinks they should be either.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The fact that people are getting weary about social distancing and doing things to protect themselves, makes this all the more dangerous. It only takes being in the wrong place at the wrong time and that is going to be the case until there is a vaccine. Oh, well. We can only do what we each know to be best practice. By the time cases are reported for an area, it's already too late.

manhn

I am so sorry, once upon. Fortunately, his wife is negative so can help with the kids. But two weeks of self isolation from your kids must be torture. His grandmother must feel so guilty.

clairecloutier

My parents have decided that they want to come visit for my daughters' birthday next week. It would be the first time we've seen them since January. All of us have been mostly self-isolating at home (us in MA, them in ME). But they did have a brief outdoor visit with a friend of theirs last week. And my husband, father, and I go out periodically for grocery shopping/Home Depot/post office runs.

It's just getting hard to know what to do. My mom is rather depressed over being so isolated. So maybe it is worth the risk of them coming to visit us? I don't know.

sk8nlizard

My parents have decided that they want to come visit for my daughters' birthday next week. It would be the first time we've seen them since January. All of us have been mostly self-isolating at home (us in MA, them in ME). But they did have a brief outdoor visit with a friend of theirs last week. And my husband, father, and I go out periodically for grocery shopping/Home Depot/post office runs.

It's just getting hard to know what to do. My mom is rather depressed over being so isolated. So maybe it is worth the risk of them coming to visit us? I don't know.
It’s always a hard decision. Our plan now is to go visit my parents in SC mid July. We would be traveling from one hot spot to another. We are planning to drive, pack most of our own food and stop as little as possible (it’s a 20 hr trip). When we made this decision neither place had many cases. I am high risk and so is my dad. We are thinking about canceling however, my dad isn’t in great health. If I wait for a vaccine, we may never see him again...it’s hard to make these decisions.

once_upon

Voter
I am so sorry, once upon. Fortunately, his wife is negative so can help with the kids. But two weeks of self isolation from your kids must be torture. His grandmother must feel so guilty.
Especially since he didnt want to go. I assume it was hard on him, since both his parents are dead and his grandmother was begging him. But apparently she is not self isolating even knowing that he has it. She's been going to the grocery store.

I'm pretty depressed too, I want to hug my kids and grandkids. We did a social distance outdoor visit (suggested by my son) a couple of weeks ago. My grandkids did the measuring of patio chairs sitting in groups for couples (they loved being in charge of that). The kids stayed in the pool area. Older kids in the deep end, Aubrey and our middle son in the shallow end.

My sister in law who lives in North Carolina went to Ohio to see their grandchildren. There are probably 50 pictures of hugging, kisses, sitting on laps.

clairecloutier

I'm pretty depressed too, I want to hug my kids and grandkids. We did a social distance outdoor visit (suggested by my son) a couple of weeks ago. My grandkids did the measuring of patio chairs sitting in groups for couples (they loved being in charge of that). The kids stayed in the pool area. Older kids in the deep end, Aubrey and our middle son in the shallow end.

I guess we may have to talk about hugs, etc., beforehand. I hadn't really thought about that. It's just sad because I think my mom could use some hugs right now. I hate to deny her that. I don't know if she is expecting it or not. 🙃

once_upon

Voter
Cuomo, NJ, and CT governors announced that their states are doing a 14 day quarantine for people coming in from certain states based upon their infection rates. They will announce daily what states based upon a 7 day rolling average.

Currently Texas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and 2 other states are those restricted by those rules.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Rumor has it Broadway won't reopen until January 3.

Lincoln Center Theater will postpone until Spring 2021 two productions it had planned for this Fall, including the James Lapine-directed Broadway musical Flying Over Sunset, due to the ongoing *********-19 shutdown.

The postponements come as Broadway insiders tell Deadline they expect an imminent extension of the shutdown through Jan. 3, 2021. The Broadway League, the trade group representing theater owners and producers, has not officially extended the shutdown period beyond the current Sept. 4., the date through which already-purchased Broadway tickets can be refunded or exchanged. (The date is not an official reopening date.)

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Cuomo, NJ, and CT governors announced that their states are doing a 14 day quarantine for people coming in from certain states based upon their infection rates. They will announce daily what states based upon a 7 day rolling average.

Currently Texas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and 2 other states are those restricted by those rules.
You made me so curious I had to look it up.

The other two currently restricted states are Utah and Washington.

sk8pics

I guess we may have to talk about hugs, etc., beforehand. I hadn't really thought about that. It's just sad because I think my mom could use some hugs right now. I hate to deny her that. I don't know if she is expecting it or not. 🙃
Depending on your exact circumstances, hugging can be okay. The NYTimes had an article a couple of weeks ago about how to hug “safely.” Both wearing masks, hold your breath, look in opposite directions, don’t lean your face against the other person’s clothing, just for a moment. I’ve hugged 4 or 5 people in the last couple of weeks.

manhn

I wonder how you enforce it (and is it Constitutional?). In Canada, the provinces that have these quarantine rules (again, I am not sure it meets Charter standards) have a more blanket rule--if you're coming into whatever province (resident or not), you have to self-quarantine.

once_upon

Voter
I wonder how you enforce it (and is it Constitutional?). In Canada, the provinces that have these quarantine rules (again, I am not sure it meets Charter standards) have a more blanket rule--if you're coming into whatever province (resident or not), you have to self-quarantine.
I'm not sure how you would enforce it. Currently Hawaii has one - its probably a bit easier because you come by air or boat. According to a friend who lives in New Orleans early on Florida restricted travel from Louisiana

NY, NJ and CT fought hard to get their numbers down. I dont blame them for putting in restrictions

MacMadame

Staying at home
The previous eye doctor said they don't even polish out scratches anymore because it changes the prescription, the way they make lenses now.
I don't know if you remember but I had some sort of weird floater in my eye that looked like a spot of blood so I went to the doctors. They did all their exams with both of us in masks. It was annoying but it worked. And the machine they put in front of your eyes to check them would be fine to use with a mask.

It might not be for two weeks though. When you get C19, you have to isolate the entire time you have it, which could be as much as a month or longer, then something like 7 days after. (I think it's 7. Might be less.)

So it could be less than 2 weeks if he gets over it sooner than a week but more likely it's going to be longer.

I really think people aren't getting what getting C19 entails (not you necessarily but the general public). I really do think most people are thinking it's like the flu .... in bed a few days, then up and at 'em. It's not. Getting it, even a mild case, is extremely inconvenient at best but at worst it's horribly expensive -- you can be in the ICU for months! (At worst without dying that is. Obviously dying would be the worst outcome.)

The best thing is just to not get it IMO. I wish more people would understand that and so would take proper precautions like wearing masks and social distancing and washing hands. I read a study that said if 90% of us wore masks, C19 would be stopped in its tracks. Just that one simple thing. We could re-open everything IMO if people would just wear masks.

The other two currently restricted states are Utah and Washington.
But not CA, eh? The news here is full of how bad we've been with our cases rising and hospitalizations up. But every time I look into it, I see it's not as bad as you'd think at least where I am. Like this graph:

(We're that line at the bottom.)

Even so, I'm glad we aren't being cavalier about the rise in cases, but I also am tired of the roller coaster of emotions.

And I'm so completely and utterly pissed off at the people who won't follow the rules and the states that are just saying f' it. I was quite happy to SIP for 6-8 weeks and then deal with the destruction afterward, but if we did that for nothing because people suck, I will be so unhappy that I am likely to go full-on psycho on the ass of the next person I see not social distancing and not wearing masks.

Sparks

I wish NM would do something like this. People here are nervous b/c we are sandwiched between Texas and Arizona. Tourists from Texas and Oklahoma like to flood into NM especially in the summer.

Sparks

Officials from the Tulsa Department of Health said today that 259 new positive cases are being reported in the county, a new record.
:eek:

once_upon

Voter
Also Arkansas and Alabama are in the NY/NJ/CT restrictions s

@MacMadame if CA continue to rise, I suspect they will be on the list soon. Cuomo said they would be doing daily updates and the list is developed by a 7 day rolling statistic of number of cases per 100,000 I think.

Not just the C-19 stuff but everything happening in the US is so chaotic. It's very depressing

I've got two people on Facebook timeout right now. I imagine they are going bonkers since the 4th of July fireworks have been canceled. She is looking for a new church which should be interesting as her husband is the youth ministry coordinator.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Even so, I'm glad we aren't being cavalier about the rise in cases, but I also am tired of the roller coaster of emotions.

And I'm so completely and utterly pissed off at the people who won't follow the rules and the states that are just saying f' it. I was quite happy to SIP for 6-8 weeks and then deal with the destruction afterward, but if we did that for nothing because people suck, I will be so unhappy that I am likely to go full-on psycho on the ass of the next person I see not social distancing and not wearing masks.
I agree. it was never so easy to save lives. Just put a bit of cloth over your mouth and nose. it is not that hard. but all evidence points to it being really really effective. I don't understand how people can oppose this. even if it came out later on that it had NO effect whatsoever. So what? then you spend a few months being a bit uncomfortable. :rolleyes:

we have the ykw-app now in Germany - same thing - I don't understand why people don't download it who are perfectly able to do it. It is such a tiny thing and could maybe help a lot...
what I find most ironic is when they post on Facebook about having privacy concerns with the app. gimme a break....

Susan1

I don't know if you remember but I had some sort of weird floater in my eye that looked like a spot of blood so I went to the doctors. They did all their exams with both of us in masks. It was annoying but it worked. And the machine they put in front of your eyes to check them would be fine to use with a mask.
I meant to take this out of this thread when I put it in the other one, but, yeah, I won't be able to see the eye chart part where they say is this one better or that one for the prescription, which his hard enough to begin with, cause I can see the mask out of the bottom of my eyes. If I pull it down farther it slips off my nose. And trying on the glasses. I can't do that over the elastic. It already bothers me behind my ears. My glasses bother behind my ears too. My whole head is a mess. I was on hold for about 5 minutes. They don't give you an option to leave a message. I'll try again later.

side note - floater: I still have one, for years now. It looks like a little thread, or a tiny bright dot. I haven't had the big posterior vitreous fluid detachment things for over three years now - just knocked on wood for 30 seconds. How is your eye? I found a thing on the internet (really!) that works. You hold your head still and look around slowly like you are following the hands of a clock. It makes it slide out of the way or something. I'm sure it wouldn't work for something serious though.

Driving with the scratch was like thinking I had an eyelash in my eye. Inside the store, it didn't bother me any more than my eye already does. Everything is wrong with the right eye - the one that has never needed much prescription. That eye waters when I get makeup or moisturizer or shampoo too close. Too far off topic.....................

About half the people in Meijer had on masks - all of the "older" (50+ and remember I am bad with ages) people did. They didn't even have a horchata label on the yogurt shelf anymore. That was my favorite. I'm probably the only one that bought it, and I didn't go there every week, so they probably stopped stocking it.

skipaway

NC Governor Cooper has extended Phase 2 for another 3 weeks and has mandated NC citizens wear face coverings at all times. Exceptions include medical issues and outdoor activity if also socially distancing. I love my governor. Refreshing when decisions are based on medicine and scientific evidence. :respec:

Dobre

Some salesman just knocked on my door. My 70-year-old father answered it. The salesman had no mask, did not stand back six feet, and my dad did not back up.:mad:

This has been a crummy day. I went to pick up paint & the man opened the back door of my car & put it in rather than using the trunk, which I thought I had pointed at quite clearly. (Lesson for the future, lock car doors).

Then I called the vet & asked for them to leave catfood on the porch for me to pick up. They forgot & brought it out directly to pass to me. No mask.

Why is it our governor decided to announce the mask rule for only 7 counties again? I mean, to give her credit, the whole West Coast seems to have upped their mask requirements this week & I think she went first. But I am tired of people pretending this doesn't exist. I think the salespeople/shop owners/clerks are afraid that wearing masks will frighten off or upset their customers. Well going door to door selling vacumns without standing six feet back all over my town is frightening me. As are the checkers at the grocery store who are the main point of contact for absolutely everybody.

Lizziebeth

Help? I scratched my glasses yesterday. I've had them since 2014 and I always put them somewhere safe. I have to take them off to put on one of four pairs of reading glasses in different rooms (tried bifocals, they made me sick). I've dropped them on carpet or other places where they have landed "on their back" and been fine. I even sat on them for the first time in my life last winter and just ran over to the closest eye doctor and had them adjusted.
So, my sleeve caught on the edge of the desk when I was getting them to put back on, and they fell "on their face" on the floor - first time ever, now, of all times. There is a scratch across the middle.
I have already needed to get new glasses because I couldn't wear the ones I got three years ago (too heavy on my ears), but I've been putting it off. Now what am I supposed to do?
Yes, of course, I would wear a mask, as would everyone in the office and sanitizing everything anybody touches. They have their guidelines on the website. But they have to get right in your face to do an eye exam. And my mask already hits the cheekbones under my eyes. I have to move my head to see things over them in the store. I can't try on glasses with the mask on. They can't fit them on my ears with the elastic over them.
I feel like I need to go sooner rather than later because cases are rising here and they might close things again. I looked on their website and they have plenty of appointments to choose from (spread out on certain days), starting Monday. I called my previous eye doctor yesterday and they do not take my insurance anymore, so this would be an all new place too. I'll call this morning and see what they think. The previous eye doctor said they don't even polish out scratches anymore because it changes the prescription, the way they make lenses now.
Susan1, sorry about your glasses.

I think it is OK to go to the eye doctor. My SO had cataract surgery on both eyes and has had two other checkups. They did not let anyone in the clinic until 5 minutes before their appointment and everyone was masked. I also noticed that you needed to make an appointment to get frames/lenses. The shop was locked up otherwise. I felt that this eye surgeon's place did everything they could to keep things safe.

I would ask if they could provide you with a paper mask for your visit.

Dobre

Well, it looks like Inslee is stepping up the heat on businesses in Yakima.
https://www.yakimaherald.com/special_projects/********/washington-requires-masks-throughout-state-with-additional-conditions-for-yakima-county/article_40c3b413-dbd4-5ca0-a9a0-4d83ed45eec6.html

"Two key prohibitions in Inslee’s proclamation concerning Yakima County:
  • No business may operate, allow a customer to enter or conduct business with a customer unless the customer is wearing a face covering.
  • No individual may enter a business — whether it’s operating indoors or outdoors — without first donning a face covering, unless the person is exempted under the state order.
'In Yakima, because of the severity of this outbreak, not only is this a legally binding order on an individual, it’s also a legally binding order on businesses that need a business license to operate,' Inslee said, noting that businesses could face fines, judicial action or potential loss of their license if they don’t comply.'

'The infection rate is 27 times higher in Yakima County than King County,” Inslee said. “Only two counties in the western United States are in as bad a shape as Yakima County. This is an extraordinary situation.'"

He goes on to say that business that have not complied in the past (in other locations?) have received a call from the state. A couple that did not comply after that were sued.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information