News & Experiences continued

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Even though I also see responsibility with the governments of Serbia and Croatia. If they allow events to go ahead without any precautions, it means in the long run they might have done more harm to the re-take up of sports than if they had demanded rules like most other countries that are starting to allow first sports and other events again.
This event was not held in line with the Serbian govt guidelines on social distancing, and Montenegro cancelled their leg after seeing how things had gone down in Belgrade on the first weekend.

Other countries are managing to hold tennis events that aren't so risky; in France players are being tested, and no spectators are allowed, same in the UK and also there all line calls are done by Hawkeye & there are no ballkids on the court.

manhn

It also showed that athletes are not super professional robots. What the hell with all that clubbing and partying? Gross.

I am an Uber if Novak. I am not anymore.

Miezekatze

This event was not held in line with the Serbian govt guidelines on social distancing, and Montenegro cancelled their leg after seeing how things had gone down in Belgrade on the first weekend.
Oh ok, the German articles I read gave the impression that there actually were no social distancing rules in Serbia anymore and it therefor was allowed to hold the event like this...but it seems rather odd that he was able to use/rent a big tennis court like that with a big audience without having to get a permission for holding such a big event anywhere? Even private event venues here can't operate without the approval of the the city or the regularity authority.
I read many other tennis players are quite mad at him, Barbara Ritter, the head of German womens tennis was fuming today, because of how this is going to hurt the sport. I also think it hurts all other sports who are currently trying to get things back running in a responsible way.

He sounds a bit like a spoilt brat, also with the whining that he would not take part in US Open if he can't leave the airport hotel and go to Manhattan.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
So there's this panel of scientists testifying before Congress and they're such schmucks that they remove their masks before talking and then put them back on when they're listening.

canbelto

So now Ron de Santis, Greg Abbott, Rick Scott and the Miami mayor are telling people they need to wear a mask. Trump meltdown in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I sense a bit of sarcasm in the following report but maybe I just don't understand Arizona-talk.

Dream City Church, the north Phoenix megachurch set to host a Donald Trump rally on June 23, claims it has solved the ********* problem in its auditorium, making it safe for anyone who wants to attend.

In a video posted on Sunday, Senior Pastor Luke Barnett and Chief Operations Officer Brendon Zastrow announce happily that the church has installed a new air-purification system that kills 99.9 percent of the ********. The technology, they say, was developed by members of the church.
Also from the article:

"It is true that you can build a system — and we’ve had them for decades — that will scrub the air going through the system of 99.99 percent of germs, including viruses, depending on how it works," said David Weber, medical director at the University of South Carolina Hospitals' Departments of Hospital Epidemiology (Infection Prevention). "But that doesn’t prove that, at the floor level, it’s going to reduce your infection risk. That’s a separate question."

So the whole "one of our church members invented a system that will keep you safe from C19" is either them lying or them not understanding what the system actually is and does.

I do think installing such a system in a big auditorium is a good idea in general though.

OlieRow

I wonder about the mysterious "vaping pneumonia" illnesses and deaths of young people earlier this year? December, January when we were anxious about all the vaping illnesses?

My son lives in Denver, his girlfriend works at Denver International airport, around that time vaping pneumonia crisis in January had a horrible viral infection (fever, cough, chest pain/tightness, muscle pain, fatigue). My son got it from her and called me several times a day wanting to know what to do. I suggested urgent care but he was too "tired" to go. They both wonder if they had *********, especially since she had contact with lots of international travelers before the restrictions were in place.
The flu swabs also have a similar false negative rate as the current plague's. It's highly likely that many of these people who felt miserable with flu-like illnesses late fall/winter pre-********* and tested negative for flu were false negatives. I remember seeing a mom and 3 kids who all had flu-like symptoms. 3 of the 4 were positive. Realistically, the kid who tested negative had it as well but statistically, it was about right.

Howard Forman (radiologist and professor) predicted on Twitter that we may be seeing 50K new cases a day within 2 weeks. He said the CV positive test rate in Orlando, FL, right now is 16.5%. Scary. :cry:
Just wait til Disney opens.........

There was a posthumous false positive in Rockhampton, Queensland, which had people very puzzled because the deceased had had no contact with anyone who might have passed on the lurgi. A second test was returned negative and he was removed from the official count; the theory, last I heard, was that the original positive test picked up another bug similar enough to the lurgi that it registered on the test. Something similar may be happening in other false positive cases.
False positives on the nasal/nasopharyngeal swabs to diagnose it are exceptionally rare. They're PCR/molecular tests and you just don't see many false positives. I think they're something like 99% specific. False negatives is a different story... The antibody tests will have a higher risk of cross reactivity with regular coronaviruses that cause common colds.

If you read the article all the way through, it's not quite as bad as it seems, but given Florida's recent history of fudging numbers, this is not the best approach they could have taken.

Amid a surge in Florida ******** cases, Gov. Ron DeSantis‘ administration is changing the guidelines for hospitals’ reporting of intensive-care beds in the state Emergency Status System, or ESS.

In a phone call with hospital providers this week, Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees, who’s also the secretary of the Department of Health, said he no longer wants hospitals to report to the state the number of patients in intensive-care unit beds.

Instead, Rivkees said he only wants hospitals to report the number of patients in those beds who require what he described as an “intensive level of care.”

The change could reduce the number of occupied ICU beds being reported to the state.

Obviously FL has some issues with reporting accurate data but I'm actually ok with this. It's not uncommon to have a patient in the ICU who is no longer requiring ICU level care and is ready to be transferred to the step-down unit but they spend a day waiting in the ICU for that bed to open up. In some hospitals, the ********* unit is located in an ICU so all patients with ********* needing to be admitted are technically in an ICU bed even if they are just needing a little supplemental nasal cannula oxygen. I wouldn't consider either example to be a critically ill ********* patient and if the sh*t hit the fan, those beds could be made available for someone who actually needed them.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
It seems that when I thought Governor Newsom wasn't giving daily briefings anymore, I was wrong. It's just that the tv stations are not airing them. This upsets me greatly because it makes it seem like it's all over when it's not.

Tony Wheeler

So now Ron de Santis, Greg Abbott, Rick Scott and the Miami mayor are telling people they need to wear a mask. Trump meltdown in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Yeah, but it's ridiculous. You can't enforce this whole 'wear a mask everywhere' but continue to keep restaurants and clubs open where people mingle in close quarters with DJs playing or dancing or whatever-- and they are NOT wearing masks. Yet when going down the street you NEED to wear a mask?

They aren't cracking down on the big issues, and nothing is going to change with the numbers. It's a bullshit solution.

I have a friend who works at one of the three locations 'punished' for 24 hours last weekend, and once they finished their punishment, it was back to no one caring.

acraven

A current NY Times article (which may be behind a paywall, not sure) states that the EU is working on a list of countries from which travelers will be admitted on July 1. All signs indicate that the US will not be on the list. It appears that the deciding factor will be the current 14-day infection rate. The US figure is 107. The EU figure is 16, and the cut-off will probably be somewhere between that figure and 20.

https://tinyurl.com/y8orxmzt

In unrelated news, I just caught a clip of Dr. Fauci's testimony today. A GOP senator asked whether he now regretted not pushing earlier and harder for people to wear masks. Fauci's response aligned with what I have been assuming: They didn't want the inadequate supply of PPE diverted from medical professionals putting their lives on the line to the general public.

Last edited:

Dobre

Well, Yakima County in Washington State made the national news again yesterday. They are out of hospital beds and shipping patients outside the county. A while ago a friend originally from Yakima posted a list of the counties with the highest percentage of cases per capita, and Yakima was 3rd highest in the U.S. It was also the only one of the top three with case numbers still climbing. In one of the articles I read from the past couple days, the governor said that Yakima County now has more cases than the state of Oregon. I'm not sure if that is still true, but approximately that is where they stand.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/*****-taking-big-toll-farm-county-washington-state-71388753

A couple highlights from the article.
-People are failing to wear masks.
-Yakima hasn't reopened because their numbers have been bad since before reopening began.
-There are people sitting in the stands without social distancing watching kids compete in softball.
-The governor is planning to require people in the county to wear masks outside as well as inside.
-Yakima has a high percentage of essential jobs in rural agriculture so a lot of people are working.
-Agricultural workers have also been striking for safer conditions.

Personal note: While I'm all for the required masks in public rule, I also think it's time for Inslee and/or whatever safety organization is in charge of safety in businesses in Washington to step up & shut some of these essential businesses down that are exhibiting unsafe practices and refusing to test their workers. (At least, the previous article I posted on Yakima said there were businesses refusing to do so). They may be "essential," but they shouldn't be exempt from doing their best to keep workers safe.

Last edited:

Susan1

June 23, 2020
Ohio

46,127 total cases; 667,077 tests
Ages <1 - 109. Median age – 47 (that’s one number that keeps going down)

Hospitalized - 7,379; ICU - 1,876; Healthcare workers – 6,542

2,735 total deaths

Columbus – 8,029 / 370 (over 8,000!? Yikes)
Cleveland – 5,820 / 341
Cincinnati - 4,098 / 188
Three weeks ago, we were 13th, now 9th -
Dayton – 1,345 / 20 still / 251 Hospitalized –
The 2 largest groups combined for 112 - in their 50s and 60’s; 10 in their 20s; 11 under 20

24 hour numbers / 21 day average
Cases – 590 / 466
Deaths – 31 / 23
Hospitalizations – 87 / 57
ICU – 24 / 14
But, by all means, open everything up. (sarcasm)

Mix of c.v., protests, and Ohio bus.:

No health department person present.

People have to have confidence so that the economy can recover. Numbers are going up with fewer restrictions. More testing and keep up physical distancing. (If you say so.)

The Governor and his wife and the Lt. Gov. all had the test right there on t.v. There was a Registered Nurse doing it and a Wright State nursing student helping her. They both had on gowns, masks, face shields and gloves. The RN put a pair of gloves on over top of her gloves, and took the top ones off and put on another pair for the next person, still on top of one pair of gloves. She said you put the swab up each nostril and move it around for 10 seconds. She used the same swab in both nostrils. I guess that makes sense. None of them batted an eye or coughed or sneezed. It didn’t look like it went up into their brain like some people say. I still wouldn’t be able to do it. The samples go to a lab and the results come back in 24-48 hours.

There will be three ads starting on t.v. this week – masks (15 seconds), distancing (15 seconds) both sponsored by the Ohio Dept. Health and a longer one (30 seconds?), “Up to all of us” sponsored by the BWC.

He talked about the vandalism at the State House and other businesses being destroyed. They didn’t have enough troopers. “That will not happen again.” People have a right to demonstrate, but ”a small number” (150-200 he said, so how many people would be there to make that a small number?) of them are there for violent purposes. Incidents are being investigated and will be prosecuted. Reminded peaceful protesters to wear masks.

A pediatrician was skyped talking about how vaccines are down 45%. Pediatric offices are safe. They will be partnering with schools and the Dept. of Health to have ***** clinics around the state all summer.

Lt. Gov. talked about July 4th fireworks. Most big ones cancelled, but they should be done safely. (One year, we were going to the fireworks at Centerville’s football stadium and got there too late to get in, so we just sat in the car, and on the hood, in the parking lot. Why couldn’t they do that everywhere. You don’t have to crowd into some place. Or sit shoulder to shoulder on the grass.)

A reporter asked about the legislation to let people set them off 24/7/365. DeWine will vote against it. Yay! (Like that’s going to stop them though. Every year, they shoot them off in the neighborhoods for a week before, till 1 a.m. I had a bottle rocket land on my roof right above my front door from the cul-de-sac across the street.)

Couple of questions about more context on the testing numbers and stuff. DeWine said he sees details that should be out there and he will check into seeing what they are putting out for everyone. Lt. Gov looked it up. The positivity rate is around 4% now. It’s been between 4-6% since May.

Another person had a bunch of questions – like about how they count if someone has a positive test, then has to keep testing again till they get a negative three times or whatever. Answers on Thursday?

They are getting out the numbers as best they can. They are not hiding anything. (I think we just don’t know where to look – like how many people are still IN the hospital.) DeWine said there are no conspiracy theories (maybe not in Ohio anyway, huh?)

Approximately 10K/tests per day now. Yesterday on Governors call with Pence, many brought up the rise in cases in people in their 20s and 30s. Later, DeWine said Pence has been “stellar” on these phone calls. (What, then he gets off the phone and lies to everyone else?) Pence and his entourage are going to Lourdstown on Thursday. Someone asked if DeWine told him to wear a mask. He said he wasn’t going to tell the VP what to do. DeWine and his wife will be going there for a tour tomorrow – not with Pence.

Question of the accountability of police using pepper spray and not having body cams. The National Guard and Highway Patrol have been called in to help cities. Mayors and cities are in charge and they and police have difficult decisions to make to balance the rights and safety of the people and property. He mentioned his previous police reform plan that is out there somewhere.

Reporter said viewer of WCPO (Cincinnati) wanted to know if there was any progress on being able to visit nursing homes. 70% of the lives lost in Ohio came from congregate care centers. They are trying to figure out a balanced plan.

Still no firm guidelines for school reopening. Basic science has not changed. The c.v. is still out there. Schools and communities will be flexible.

I heard on the noon news today that Kings Island is going to start taking reservations for season pass holders for going back July 3. Only 10K/people per day. Sounds like a lot, but if you’ve been there it doesn’t.

And a doctor from Miami Valley Hospital was on who said hospital numbers are up to being the same as they were in the last week of April and first week in May. But, not as many people are needing critical care.

Back on Thursday. Only one of four local t.v. stations is carrying these twice a week things here now.

mocha-ice

Just wait til Disney opens.........
Universal (which yah I know not as popular as Disney but still huge) has actually been open for about 2 weeks now! 🤷‍♀️ And I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not all locals. So people will take YKW back with them. Disney isn’t set to reopen for 3 weeks or so, but I wonder what will happen if things keep heading in the direction they are.

once_upon

New condo owner
Just wait and see what happens to the entire US after GOP convention in Jacksonville. All the Trump base taking it home to all the US.
Just in time for schools to open. And college football to start.

canbelto

So according to the Johns Hopkins C19 Map there were nearly 1,000 new deaths today. I know Tuesday is a big reporting day but Jesus, the weekend lull followed by "big reporting Tuesday" is always so depressing.

manhn

British Columbia: 13 new cases and 1 death. Expected announcement for the third phase of our reopening (allowing non-essential travel within the province) in the next day or so.

OlieRow

Universal (which yah I know not as popular as Disney but still huge) has actually been open for about 2 weeks now! 🤷‍♀️ And I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not all locals. So people will take YKW back with them. Disney isn’t set to reopen for 3 weeks or so, but I wonder what will happen if things keep heading in the direction they are.
Some Disney cast members are starting a petition to stop reopening so we’ll see. There will definitely be people taking a “souvenir” home to their local communities.

It seems that when I thought Governor Newsom wasn't giving daily briefings anymore, I was wrong. It's just that the tv stations are not airing them. This upsets me greatly because it makes it seem like it's all over when it's not.
This. There’s major ********* fatigue. It’s understandable but I went grocery shopping today and I was one of few people wearing masks. I’d say less than 10%. And this is in SC where cases are increasing big time as things reopen. I’m thankful that my small social circle feels the same way I do and is still social distancing and wearing masks when we go out for essentials. It makes me hopeful we can reward our efforts with a backyard BBQ birthday party to make up for all the ones we’ve celebrated via Zoom soon!

ETA - City Council in Columbia just passed an ordinance to require masks in public! The Facebook comments are sure to be a train wreck...

Jimena

Here in Puerto Rico, our DOH cannot count cases (we're providing support in their data needs and they are insurmountable, truly) and they don't have a single epidemiologist that can produce an epi curve. It's awful. But we closed early and our hospitals are very stable, with no uptick in ICU bed use, etc. We are mostly open. Masks are required everywhere. And everyone wears one. We don't have the idiocy that has affected the US. Thankfully. People in stores are required to stay at least 6 feet from one another. And people are following directions! It's incredible. I think there is such a lack of trust in the government numbers, with the inability to properly count our dead after Hurricane Maria and the government's inability to respond to our earthquake swarm, that we don't trust anything that comes from our institutions. So we need to take care of ourselves. As a community, we are doing pretty well. It's amazing to watch the behavior change in a society that is usually very huggy, touchy-feely and super social.

There are always idiots, of course. But I thought that at this point we would be doing a lot worse.

Some infection clusters have been identified by municipal staff and they are related to travelers who came from the US and infected their families. Everyone has been quarantined so far and they're trying to tighten controls at the airport. These cases are STILL not showing up in the PRDOH data, of course.

I went to my first social gathering with my close friends. It was in a park, we each brought our own food and drink and we social distanced all the way through it. We placed our own beach chairs at least six feet apart. It worked. And it was much needed. I have no desire to go to a restaurant or a bar so socially distant picnics for the rest of the summer it is!

Dobre

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
This is an interesting summary of the timeline of C19 and the SIP orders. The emphasis is on how orders came up from the local level and pushed the states to act. (This is very unusual for this kind of crisis. Normally guidance comes down from the top)

Susan1

Help? I scratched my glasses yesterday. I've had them since 2014 and I always put them somewhere safe. I have to take them off to put on one of four pairs of reading glasses in different rooms (tried bifocals, they made me sick). I've dropped them on carpet or other places where they have landed "on their back" and been fine. I even sat on them for the first time in my life last winter and just ran over to the closest eye doctor and had them adjusted.
So, my sleeve caught on the edge of the desk when I was getting them to put back on, and they fell "on their face" on the floor - first time ever, now, of all times. There is a scratch across the middle.
I have already needed to get new glasses because I couldn't wear the ones I got three years ago (too heavy on my ears), but I've been putting it off. Now what am I supposed to do?
Yes, of course, I would wear a mask, as would everyone in the office and sanitizing everything anybody touches. They have their guidelines on the website. But they have to get right in your face to do an eye exam. And my mask already hits the cheekbones under my eyes. I have to move my head to see things over them in the store. I can't try on glasses with the mask on. They can't fit them on my ears with the elastic over them.
I feel like I need to go sooner rather than later because cases are rising here and they might close things again. I looked on their website and they have plenty of appointments to choose from (spread out on certain days), starting Monday. I called my previous eye doctor yesterday and they do not take my insurance anymore, so this would be an all new place too. I'll call this morning and see what they think. The previous eye doctor said they don't even polish out scratches anymore because it changes the prescription, the way they make lenses now.

Last edited:

once_upon

New condo owner
My son's life long best friend has C-19 (36 year old). His grandma begged him to come visit her, saying she lives in a rural area with no cases. Except there are. Five days later he has symptoms.

They had been really good at staying home because he has 4 kids under 8.

Just because you are young doesnt make you immune.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information