News & Experiences continued

Dobre

Mexico’s Central de Abasto: How ******** tore through Latin America’s largest market
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...mexico-city-centro-abasto-market/?arc404=true

State news:

-Texas is suspending permits for bars that are ignoring social distancing measures.

-Trump is going to Arizona next? His timing really is not impeccable, is it? The good news is that the spokesperson for the student group he is meeting with says the group intends to wear masks. It's in Phoenix, where masks were mandated Saturday.

-Also, this is the first article I have seen tracing tests to protests:

SC protesters urged to ‘get tested immediately’ for *********-19 after organizers get sick
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article243694592.html

"Anyone who was at any of the events between May 30 and June 17 should get a *********-19 test, Nathaniel said.

Four organizers of the I Can’t Breathe SC protests confirmed they tested positive, along with at least six protesters, and three photographers"

MacMadame

Staying at home
Is this really true? A high school in an affluent area of California pretended to stage a BLM rally so they could actually have a high school graduation:

I'm not sure if they really pretended it was a BLM protest. That part is unclear from the article I read. But they did have a HS graduation parade and used the BLM protests to justify it. And the pictures I saw had pretty much no one wearing masks and they were packed together like sardines. You can see the pictures here:

Orm Irian

Is there any data on whether there’s an issue with false positives for the YKW test? I know there is for the anti-body test and I’ve heard a couple of people suggest that there is for the test for the active infection, but I couldn’t find anything and wasn’t sure if they might be conflating the two. I know the test for the infection has a false negative issue, especially when self administered.
There was a posthumous false positive in Rockhampton, Queensland, which had people very puzzled because the deceased had had no contact with anyone who might have passed on the lurgi. A second test was returned negative and he was removed from the official count; the theory, last I heard, was that the original positive test picked up another bug similar enough to the lurgi that it registered on the test. Something similar may be happening in other false positive cases.

Dobre

We've had cases associated with graduation parties here, and people that won't name the family & friends for the contact tracers. Ugh. People, they are health representatives. They are not planning to rat your friends out to the local authorities! Hopefully some of these people are giving their friends and family the heads-up; but meanwhile no one is contacting all of those people's contacts. Be smart. No wonder Umatilla County is in such a hot mess.

skategal

Bunny mama
Nova Scotia is officially crud free! :cheer2:

My social butterfly son is having 5 friends over this afternoon. for a party.

We are allowed to have less than 10 without social distancing. Wheeee!!

once_upon

Voter
ETA Cant find this story elsewhere so it may not be true.
Trump is no longer having temp checks, testing of WH staff. Press are being forced into small spaces, no longer social distancing. According to the MSNBC report I caught (at least the tail end of). This being a Trump state, I predict a lot more people refusing to wear masks, was hands, social distancing. The C-19 line is significantly decreased today. Like I could probably drive right up to the tent with no waiting.

I wonder what reporters will do, risk health and give us access to what the WH is doing or protect their health

Last edited:

Dobre

The completely backward lunacy of reopening, thereby allowing people to travel more and expose themselves to more danger & more people, while simultaneously reducing safety measures is . . . completely backward lunacy.

VGThuy

The completely backward lunacy of reopening, thereby allowing people to travel more and expose themselves to more danger & more people, while simultaneously reducing safety measures is . . . completely backward lunacy.
America...

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
If you read the article all the way through, it's not quite as bad as it seems, but given Florida's recent history of fudging numbers, this is not the best approach they could have taken.

Amid a surge in Florida ******** cases, Gov. Ron DeSantis‘ administration is changing the guidelines for hospitals’ reporting of intensive-care beds in the state Emergency Status System, or ESS.

In a phone call with hospital providers this week, Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees, who’s also the secretary of the Department of Health, said he no longer wants hospitals to report to the state the number of patients in intensive-care unit beds.

Instead, Rivkees said he only wants hospitals to report the number of patients in those beds who require what he described as an “intensive level of care.”

The change could reduce the number of occupied ICU beds being reported to the state.

Dobre

America...
Well, part of America. Most of the states I have been following this week have been implementing mask requirements as a measure to deal with the increased threat level. (Oregon, California, North Carolina, Washington, parts of Texas, parts of Arizona)

This is the third time this week I have read about backward thinking regarding safety measures though. First with the governor of Nebraska refusing to give money to places with mask requirements, then with Texas removing safety restrictions in child care facilities, and now with the White House. :yikes:

MacMadame

Staying at home
I wonder what reporters will do, risk health and give us access to what the WH is doing or protect their health
I think they should reduce the pool even more by themselves. Like have 3-5 outlets get together and say, we'll only send 1 of us each day and we'll rotate who it is and give all our questions to them. Then they share the recording with the ones not there.

As for temp checks, I personally think they are *********-19 Theater. They will catch only those who know they are sick and are trying to sneak in which is a very, very small number. They won't catch anyone pre-symptomatic (infected but don't know it) or that has taken an NSAID to mask their symptoms.

missing

I think they should reduce the pool even more by themselves. Like have 3-5 outlets get together and say, we'll only send 1 of us each day and we'll rotate who it is and give all our questions to them. Then they share the recording with the ones not there.

As for temp checks, I personally think they are *********-19 Theater. They will catch only those who know they are sick and are trying to sneak in which is a very, very small number. They won't catch anyone pre-symptomatic (infected but don't know it) or that has taken an NSAID to mask their symptoms.
I agree completely about temperature checks and want to add that multitudes of people have regular temperatures below 98.6 and could be running a fever without seeming to.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
There was a posthumous false positive in Rockhampton, Queensland, which had people very puzzled because the deceased had had no contact with anyone who might have passed on the lurgi. A second test was returned negative and he was removed from the official count; the theory, last I heard, was that the original positive test picked up another bug similar enough to the lurgi that it registered on the test. Something similar may be happening in other false positive cases.
Other c viruses that are linked to common colds can also generate positives.

clairecloutier

This is the third time this week I have read about backward thinking regarding safety measures though. First with the governor of Nebraska refusing to give money to places with mask requirements, then with Texas removing safety restrictions in child care facilities, and now with the White House. :yikes:

And, on cue with this, a number of public health officials in the U.S. are leaving their jobs because they are getting harassed by the public, with threats to their personal safety :mad: :

Sparks

New Mexico

128 new *********-19 cases, totaling 10,694 cases statewide

No additional *********-19 deaths reported in New Mexico today. First time!

Susan1

From the 6:00 news -

total cases - 45,537; total deaths - 2,704

New cases reported in local counties last 24 hours (no new deaths)
Montgomery - 29
Clark - 17
Warren - 10
Greene - 6
Miami - 5
Logan - 2
Darke, Preble and Shelby - 1 each

ETA - because I am brain dead
total hospitalizations - 7,292
ICU - 1,852

SkateSand

Cat Servant
So today was Day 4 after the governor mandated masks for the whole state. I hadn't seen any changes on Friday, the next day, when I went shopping, but figured it might be too soon for all the stores to put up mask signs. Today our internet was down so we drove into town so my husband could play his video game at the gym. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, I had him drop me off at the mall so I could visit with a former co-worker and get all the juicy company gossip and then set myself down to spend the rest of the time on my cell phone. There weren't any mask signs at the mall entrances nor at Penney's and most of the other stores in the mall. Macy's was requiring masks (with a sign that said you would be forbidden entry into the store without one), but when I wandered around about fifty percent of the customers were not wearing masks and no one asked them to put on a mask or leave. For the rest of the stores and the mall itself, it was the usual 1/4 to 1/3 wearing masks as I've seen at the grocery stores. So at first blush, the mandate doesn't seem to have resulted in any changes. Of course, when the city police chief and the county sheriff both say they have no intention of policing it, that kind of gives you the lay of the land.

Miezekatze

Novak Djokovic and his wife have both tested positive for YKW.

:rolleyes:
Even though I also see responsibility with the governments of Serbia and Croatia. If they allow events to go ahead without any precautions, it means in the long run they might have done more harm to the re-take up of sports than if they had demanded rules like most other countries that are starting to allow first sports and other events again.

VGThuy

And Novak was the 4th player to test positive - Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki also tested positive after the event last week. Holding that event with zero social distancing was plain stupidity!!
Weren't some people BRAGGING about tennis opening back up and using it as an example as to why skating should?

missing

Texas Children's Hospital in Houston is now accepting adult patients.

HOUSTON — Texas Children’s Hospital confirmed late Monday it is admitting adult patients to free up hospital beds across Houston as ******** cases surge.

In a statement sent to KHOU 11, Texas Children’s Hospital said it is providing additional capacity through ICU and acute care beds across its campuses to both pediatric and adult patients.

Adult patients who have *********-19 will be cared for in an expanded Special Isolation Unit at Texas Children's Hospital West Campus. The hospital is also admitting adults who don't have *********-19.

I sense a bit of sarcasm in the following report but maybe I just don't understand Arizona-talk.

Dream City Church, the north Phoenix megachurch set to host a Donald Trump rally on June 23, claims it has solved the ********* problem in its auditorium, making it safe for anyone who wants to attend.

In a video posted on Sunday, Senior Pastor Luke Barnett and Chief Operations Officer Brendon Zastrow announce happily that the church has installed a new air-purification system that kills 99.9 percent of the ********. The technology, they say, was developed by members of the church.

This is one of those articles that use CV19 as a hook but it's an interesting look at the alcohol industry so why not.

During the ******** *********, people are drinking less. (Yes, you read that correctly.)

While the masses are buying more booze from grocers and liquor stores to drink at home, that hasn’t been enough to fill the gaping hole created by declines in shipments to restaurants, bars and sporting venues that were closed to slow the *****. Global alcohol consumption isn’t expected to return to pre-*********-19 levels until 2024, and the U.S. recovery will take even longer, according to researcher IWSR said.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information