News & Experiences continued

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Re the RV ads next to the article - I wonder if ads related to articles about issues are common? I actually have not paid any attention at all to that.

Ads related to articles, or vice versa, are the reason for newspaper sections like "Driving" or "Travel" to exist. The ad departments know what trends are coming up in the industry - like when new car models are released or when people are likely to travel to a certain destination or region - and they plan the sections in advance. Then they call the potential advertisers and say, our issue of X date is about new SUV releases, do you have a new SUV you'd like to promote? And the editors assign a story that fits in to the theme, which is usually made easier if the advertisers know the upcoming themes and provide some material. Like if they have a new SUV and they're advertising in the section, they might phone the editor and offer to set up a reporter with a test drive in the SUV.

And as @manhn said, the problem with the story I mentioned is that the family in the story were travelling around in the RV when there was a stay-at-home order in place.

once_upon

Day 90 of isolation for dad. I mean only walking around the complex, no further than the sidewalk to the street, a circuitous route around the grounds. Until two weeks ago, they had to eat in their apartments. Now the dining room is open. You have a "pod" of three other people and your tables are separated from the other pods by 6 ft. It only works because assisted living residents are still confined to their apartments. Any packages or groceries must be delivered to a central place and then delivered to staff. He does go to his garage to start his car - it's a hybrid and because he hadn't used it in months, the battery was dead and had to be replaced at $400. They have started running movies again, but only 6 to the theater room.

Compared to that I have it good. We have lots of space within the condo. Three large outdoor living spaces (patio, balcony, roof). We can do takeout or delivery, we drive to pickup groceries, we can go for walks or drive. But because a job split into two paid jobs for the office coordinator/communications position the volunteer activities I did pre March 15th wont exist anymore. I do live with my husband we have each other I get that. ,he has always done WFH and contact with coworkers continue at the pre March 15th stuff. My days have changed. I get up, watch news channels until 11 am. Shower, water plants and then surf net, FSU, Facebook until we discuss dinner plans.

While we have each other, we've run out of things to say especially since I'm not doing anything. We've been together for 51 years, married in August 47 years we know each other very well. I guess what I'm going through is the real retirement crisis, since I've always had stuff to do until now. But unless people start wearing masks, comply with social distancing guidelines I feel I cant risk running out to crowded restaurants (mainly where we would go pre March 15th), or visit dad, or go bowling with the senior league or go out with our good friends (had twice a month going out to eat in a group of 12, all us over 60, a couple who are essential workers, a couple who have been able to keep their small business afloat, a couple dealing with a 93 year old parent - none of who feel like the risk outweighs the benefit). I cant concentrate to read or work on a skating project that @ pat c offered.

Im having a retirement crisis which hit during a world wide *********. FSU is my life line now. Thank you.

skatfan

Day 90 of isolation for dad. I mean only walking around the complex, no further than the sidewalk to the street, a circuitous route around the grounds. Until two weeks ago, they had to eat in their apartments. Now the dining room is open. You have a "pod" of three other people and your tables are separated from the other pods by 6 ft. It only works because assisted living residents are still confined to their apartments. Any packages or groceries must be delivered to a central place and then delivered to staff. He does go to his garage to start his car - it's a hybrid and because he hadn't used it in months, the battery was dead and had to be replaced at $400. They have started running movies again, but only 6 to the theater room.

Compared to that I have it good. We have lots of space within the condo. Three large outdoor living spaces (patio, balcony, roof). We can do takeout or delivery, we drive to pickup groceries, we can go for walks or drive. But because a job split into two paid jobs for the office coordinator/communications position the volunteer activities I did pre March 15th wont exist anymore. I do live with my husband we have each other I get that. ,he has always done WFH and contact with coworkers continue at the pre March 15th stuff. My days have changed. I get up, watch news channels until 11 am. Shower, water plants and then surf net, FSU, Facebook until we discuss dinner plans.

While we have each other, we've run out of things to say especially since I'm not doing anything. We've been together for 51 years, married in August 47 years we know each other very well. I guess what I'm going through is the real retirement crisis, since I've always had stuff to do until now. But unless people start wearing masks, comply with social distancing guidelines I feel I cant risk running out to crowded restaurants (mainly where we would go pre March 15th), or visit dad, or go bowling with the senior league or go out with our good friends (had twice a month going out to eat in a group of 12, all us over 60, a couple who are essential workers, a couple who have been able to keep their small business afloat, a couple dealing with a 93 year old parent - none of who feel like the risk outweighs the benefit). I cant concentrate to read or work on a skating project that @ pat c offered.

Im having a retirement crisis which hit during a world wide *********. FSU is my life line now. Thank you.

It is extra hard to go through a retirement change when you can’t substitute other activities for what you did do. Friends tell me it takes at least a year to find new footing after retirement, so I’m glad FSU is here for you in the meantime.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
@once_upon I hear you and can relate to the "retirement" stuff. Although I retired back in September 2016 I am going through all those feelings of drifting without much purpose all over again. Up until March 21 I had been volunteering MWF mornings at the humane society shelter, had church activities (committees, social gatherings, protest marches), and met friends for dinner and/movies fairly regularly. I live alone so my only contact with all those people is through the phone or letters. I've going to the grocery perhaps more often than is wise, but at least I get some exercise walking there and back and I can have a few minutes conversation with the vendors at the farmers market, some of whom I have known for nearly 20 years. And thank goodness the library began curbside pickup recently. Hang in there. At least your husband hasn't informed you he wants a divorce after 44 years together as my sister's husband did. :(

skateboy

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I find this fascinating... and damn scary, because it more than likely means this is happening all over the US:

"When I went to show them what the report card would say for each county, among other things, they asked me to delete the report card because it showed that no counties, pretty much, were ready for reopening," she says. "And they didn't want to draw attention to that." Jones says a superior asked her to open up the data and alter the numbers so that the state's BB positivity rating would change from 18% to 10% — and the state would appear to meet its target to reopen.

sk8pics

@once_upon I hear you and can relate to the "retirement" stuff. Although I retired back in September 2016 I am going through all those feelings of drifting without much purpose all over again. Up until March 21 I had been volunteering MWF mornings at the humane society shelter, had church activities (committees, social gatherings, protest marches), and met friends for dinner and/movies fairly regularly. I live alone so my only contact with all those people is through the phone or letters. I've going to the grocery perhaps more often than is wise, but at least I get some exercise walking there and back and I can have a few minutes conversation with the vendors at the farmers market, some of whom I have known for nearly 20 years. And thank goodness the library began curbside pickup recently. Hang in there. At least your husband hasn't informed you he wants a divorce after 44 years together as my sister's husband did. :(
I’m sorry about your sister’s husband. :(

I also retired recently, and saw many of my carefully laid plans disappear. But not all. I have reading for the program I am in, I have Zoom meetings with a couple of groups, and still have my piano lessons. I am also taking advantage of this down time to organize and clean, so that everything is that much more organized in the future. And then of course, there’s my foster kitty Bradley, who is a poster child for the old saying, who saved who? And I am getting way more, and more regular, exercise.

I don’t mean to minimize anyone’s struggles, but it is helpful to try to think in new ways, to find outlets for yourself, both to occupy your mind and nourish your soul. This is not necessarily so easy to do. (And not so easy to type as Bradley climbs into my lap -oof.)

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
@sk8pics I so envy you having Bradley (and very belated condolences on the loss of Leo). My beloved Emily died barely a month after I retired and my landlord no longer allows pets. Nothing so lonely as a house with out a :cat:. That was the main reason I became a volunteer. I can't do much online with my limited data use on a friend's cellular account. I know I need to do major clearing out but just can not keep motivated. I start working on boxes of paperwork and become overwhelmed after a couple of hours. I do need to keep at it, but it is hard. [sigh]

sk8pics

Oh, I'm sorry @skatingfan5. I don't know if I remembered you lost your Emily. That is hard, and thank you very much for the condolences on Leo. I miss him every day and my heart still hurts. But you are right, Bradley is wonderful company, even though he's sleeping outside on the porch right now. I wonder if your landlord would reconsider given all that's going on? If you took in just a small cat, maybe a girl? It might be worth a try to ask; the worst he can say is no.

Be patient with yourself. Maybe a couple of hours at a time is all you need to be doing.

Incidentally, I can't remember if I'm friends with you on Facebook or not, but if not and you want to be able to follow Bradley's exploits, send me a PM and I'll tell you my name on Facebook. He still has his Instagram (Bradley_the_cute_cat) but I update Facebook more often.

Susan1

Ohio today -

38,911 confirmed cases + 3,099 probable = 42,010 total; 565,034 tests
Still - Ages <1 - 109. Median age now down to 48
Hospitalized - 7,007
ICU - 1,784
Healthcare workers - 6,149

Deaths - 2,362 confirmed + 235 probable = 2,597

Columbus - 7,289 / 334
Cleveland - 5,271 / 318
Cincinnati - 3,316 / 181
Now up to 10th - Dayton - 1,026 / 17 deaths still / 217 hosp.

Reporter asked about long term care facilities/testing. DeWine said he didn’t have the numbers. I would have told her to go to the website. They are always saying that’s where things are. They are still doing testing - all staff first and then wings or buildings where outbreaks are.

As of 6/10 -
Residents current week - 823
Residents cumulative - 6,113
Staff current week - 392
Staff cumulative - 2,804
Deaths - 1,376
Highest counties - Franklin - 207; Lucas - 163; Summit - 132; Mahoning - 122

The 4th corrections employee has died. 62 year old man who was diagnosed May 24; 18 years at Lake Erie Correctional Institute.

DeWine talked about the latest R-0 numbers, as of June 7 - The average of the state is 1:.87. Regions 7 & 8 (rural south and east) - up to 1.0; region 3 (us) down to .95 from 1.07; northwestish - .65; Region with Cleveland - .73; Cincinnati - 1.0; Columbus - .93. In March the state was 1:2. Trends are “flat”.?

Unemployment - Ohio had to borrow $3.1B from US Dept. of Labor. We’re not the only state. Structural problems that already needed to be fixed. Lt. Gov. talked about fraud - fake unemployment claims filed or people getting notices that they had to pay money back. 29% of people have been targets of digital fraud - 3K in Ohio. List of resources if you've been targeted is on the website.

DeWine talked about new pop-up testing sites and some that are coming (on the website).

And the summer food for kids (locations have been on our local news). They are only grab and go. They got a $1M grant for children and family councils to help with deploying technology where it is needed.

There has been an outbreak associated with a church in Clark County. Best practices, again.

A doctor from the Cleveland clinic was skyped talking about how there has been a reduction in people seeking regular and emergency medical care because they are afraid, and how safe hospitals are now. He said <1% of Cleveland Clinic staff has been infected.

Tomorrow at 2, DeWine and the Atty. Gen will be having a press conference just about police reforms (and how they are going to pay for it? - per question from a reporter).

Thursday someone will be skyped to talk about children and the c.v.

What about the Pro Football Hall of Fame thing scheduled in Canton in 7 weeks - 20K people? DeWine said it is highly unlikely. And that large gatherings will be the last thing to come back. I wanted someone to ask him about trump’s rally. Nope. There are ongoing talks about MLB playing in early July without fans. And minor league teams are looking at other things to have at the stadiums that could have social distancing.

Reporter asked about other states having a rise in cases and what would Ohio do. It’s up to all of us to keep that from happening (tell people in Miamisburg that). They are going to drill down the numbers to pinpoint areas with problems.

In ~10 days, school guidelines will come out, but all schools - rural, urban, suburban will make the decisions for their type of school. He said like when one elementary school has to close because of the flu. Later a reporter asked if there will be legislation telling schools what to do. Me - Put your ears on, dummy. That’s not the first time DeWine has mentioned schools being flexible and making decisions locally.

They are still doing the compassionate early release from prisons - with conditions previously outlined. DeWine will get infection numbers for the press.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Two women bring CV19 from England to New Zealand.

After nearly a month with no reports of new cases, New Zealand is no longer ********-free. Two women from the United Kingdom have tested positive after traveling to the country to see a dying relative, officials announced Tuesday.

The women, whose names have not been released, are from the same family and had traveled to New Zealand from London through Australia last week. After arriving in Auckland, they were placed in isolation in a hotel — but were allowed on compassionate grounds to leave quarantine early.

Beijing institutes soft lockdown after more CV19 cases have emerged.

(CNN)Authorities in Beijing have imposed a soft lockdown on the entire city, after the Chinese capital reported more than 100 new locally transmitted ******** cases in the past five days.

The city raised its alert level from Level 3 to Level 2 -- the highest alert being Level 1 -- the Beijing government's Deputy Secretary Chen Bei announced in a press conference Tuesday night.

The move comes as the city's latest ******** outbreak continued to spread Tuesday, with at least 106 new infections since Thursday following an outbreak at Xinfadi, the city's largest wholesale food market.

US VA hospital deaths are close to 1500 and things are only looking worse.

As of Thursday, VA had 16,565 total *********-19 cases and 1,685 of those are considered "active" -- an about 11 percent increase over the past week. VA has 1,419 total deaths, an about 10 percent increase over the past week. There are at least 1,709 VA staff cases and 34 employee deaths. Stone said previously that the number of cases may be increasing, but he had not seen a significant increase in hospitalizations in recent weeks...

VA frontline medical staff continue to report a lack, or shortages and rationing, of personal protective equipment (PPE) such as masks, gowns and gloves at VA hospitals across the country. VA officials spent months denying those accounts and calling them "false allegations" while internal VA memos showed rationing. VA leaders said shortages have been addressed and all staff should have the PPE appropriate for their jobs.

VA, through the Mission Act, has a network of private healthcare providers it can send veterans to for care. But during the *********, about 60 percent of those doctors were not available "for anything but urgent work," Stone said.

Americans are the unhappiest they've been in 50 years.

This bold — yet unsurprising — conclusion comes from the ********* Response Tracking Study, conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago. It finds that just 14% of American adults say they're very happy, down from 31% who said the same in 2018. That year, 23% said they'd often or sometimes felt isolated in recent weeks. Now, 50% say that.

The survey, conducted in late May, draws on nearly a half-century of research from the General Social Survey, which has collected data on American attitudes and behaviors at least every other year since 1972. No less than 29% of Americans have ever called themselves very happy in that survey.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...est-they-ve-been-50-years-poll-finds-n1231153

Dobre

Another state noting higher percentages among younger people.

Age of *********-19 cases dropping in California
New analysis: 44% of people who test positive are under the age of 35

https://tinyurl.com/yd5afvwm

I understand the speculation that people in these age groups are not being as safe as others. (Gee, maybe in part because they were told that they are not high risk?) And, yes, likely in part because younger people feel more invincible.

But I don't understand why none of these articles seem to speculate that the age level average is dropping because 1. Many young people are now back at work, 2. They don't qualify as high risk so they aren't the ones allowed to stay home from work, 3. They are less likely to have predetermined conditions that would lead to their ability to stay home. 4. There were probably a substantial number of people in this age group sick during the initial wave but if those people did not have hospital-qualifiable conditions, they could not get tested then.

once_upon

We went to Sam's this afternoon to look at a storage cabinet. We are out of compliance with the HOA rules for garage storage, which I've been telling DH we were since we moved but whaddya I know :wall:, so we needed to get closed cabinet shelving asap.

About 30% of people were wearing masks. No Clorox wipes or Lysol. Usually they have pallets and pallets and pallets of all brands of TP. There was an ample selection but you could see lots of empty floor space. I did get ready to serve margarita bottles, reese's peanut butter cups and gardettos, cheese.

Japanfan

Ads related to articles, or vice versa, are the reason for newspaper sections like "Driving" or "Travel" to exist. The ad departments know what trends are coming up in the industry - like when new car models are released or when people are likely to travel to a certain destination or region - and they plan the sections in advance. Then they call the potential advertisers and say, our issue of X date is about new SUV releases, do you have a new SUV you'd like to promote? And the editors assign a story that fits in to the theme, which is usually made easier if the advertisers know the upcoming themes and provide some material.

I get most of my news from CTV video online. You can't skip the ads before watching the news item. Although they do change the ads up fairly often, it's easy to quickly get sick of the same ads playing over and over again. Lately I've been skipping items I might like to see because of the ads. May need to go back to TV news and fast forward through the ads.

Dobre

Four different states had articles with people discussing the prospect of requiring masks in either the state or cities within the state when I searched the news there: Arizona, North Carolina, Texas, & Alabama. This is new. Not a new idea, obviously, but new to see so many of the states I usually follow discussing a requirement. ("Mask up to open up" is the slogan I am seeing in Yakima County, WA. Someone may need to make a similar one for places that want to stay open).

Oregon:
*********-19 explosion
https://www.lagrandeobserver.com/**...cle_feb41198-af5c-11ea-b466-9bb49be5644c.html
The disaster that is the church-related outbreak in one rural county in Eastern Oregon. This article is from yesterday when they had identified 123 cases. Today's test results put the county at 233. This also contributes to the fact that today is the first day Oregon has had over 200 new cases:(.

Texas:
Texas hits new high for ******** cases, hospitalizations
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...-new-high-for-********-cases-hospitalizations
2,622 new cases today in Texas. Highest thus far.

Alabama:
Federal judge blocks Alabama voting restrictions ahead of July runoff
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama-absentee-voting-july-runoff-federal-judge-blocks-restrictions/

Alaska:
New cases were down today. "The state’s largest outbreak -- with 47 positive cases -- is at the Providence Transitional Care Center, an East Anchorage facility that treats people recently released from the hospital for rehabilitation and other treatment."

Florida:
Florida bars and restaurants close just a week after reopening
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/florida-bars-restaurants-close-********-spike-outbreak-a9568631.html

Montana:
Not as good as last week.

manhn

British Columbia: 11 new cases and no death. We have 1 death in something like 10 days. Hopefully the increase in cases (now double digits) won’t result in more death. But we have another Long Term Care outbreak. :(

US Canada border closed again til July 21

Skate Talker

So yesterday evening my phone rang. On the other end was a pre-recorded message from our chief medical officer inviting me to stay on the line to join a virtual town-hall meeting about the proposed phase 3 of relaxed restrictions slated for June 21st. After opening statements, the officials, which included the chief medical officer and a few govt. ministers, they took a poll where we were asked if we greed with the pace of re-opening, disagreed, or didn't know. Then they took some questions from attendees. After that they went into more detail on some aspects of the re-opening and conducted another poll, back to audience questions, rinse repeat 4 times.

As they wrapped up we were told to stay on the line for instructions if we wanted to record any comments and were also "reminded" that there is a survey available to all on a govt website. It was all quite interesting. I left a comment and checked out the website. Apparently if I had been paying attention to the right part of the govt website earlier I could have registered to be included in the town-hall instead of being one of the 100,000 randomly-called numbers included.

So at the moment we are in a very enviable position here. The last case they are calling "community spread" was May 17th, which they define as coming from an unknown source after contact tracing. This case lead to only 2 other family cases, thankfully. Since then all new cases have been related to travel or close contacts of a known positive travel case. it appears all of these have been easily contained as the traveler and contacts remained isolated from the general public. They have also all been relatively young people outside of the high-risk group.

Though I am naturally risk-averse I recognize that with our situation we can no longer keep people cocooned away from each other. The economy needs to get moving and if most of us can continue to use reasonable precautions we may be able to keep things under reasonable control. This 3rd phase will include removing the 14 day quarantine for travelers arriving from all of western Canada as well as a small portion of northern Ontario, which has similar numbers to ours and has always been more interconnected to our province than to the much more heavily populated areas of Ontario.

I'm not sure what I will do personally yet since I am pretty much on the cusp of the at-risk group both age and health-wise. One of my monthly-brunch buddies sent out an email today noting our regular meeting place has re-opened and suggesting the 4 of us get together soon. I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. I tell myself it isn't just my own health I worry about, but also that of the extremely elderly relative with whom I am in frequent contact. I still have to work up my courage to head to the grocery store even though it has been fairly empty each time I have been there so far.

Japanfan

Though I am naturally risk-averse I recognize that with our situation we can no longer keep people cocooned away from each other.

It can. A friend didn't want to celebrate her birthday in a public park because it involved the two of us picking up food from a restaurant - I needed her to go in and get the food because there was likely to be no parking in front of the restaurant and I didn't want to park away from the restaurant and carry all the food bags - there would be enough food that it was very heavy for me. My friend wasn't comfortable getting in my car, enough though the public health official had said it was fine with masks on. We might have come up with the alternative arrangement of everyone getting to the park on their own and bring their own food. We were all fed up with the arrangements at this time - I had put a good deal of effort into making it work. We plan a picnic later this summer.

And my MIL isn't comfortable coming to celebrate Mr. Japanfan's birthday with us later this month. And usually nothing can stop her from coming to her son's birthday party - she once crashed his party.

It's the new that the ***** could be transmitted in public toilets through aerosolized particles that has her freaked out.

I don't want to have his party here because then I'd have to disinfect everything, which is a lot of bother. Plus we don't have enough space on our patio to allow for the 6. feet distancing between the parties that would be present.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Twitter weighs in on toilets.

Infectious disease experts take a look at the 'toilet plumes' *********-19 study

A new study published in the journal Physics of Fluids found that flushing a toilet can send a plume of aerosol droplets nearly three feet in the air and potentially spread ******** to the next occupant. However, some epidemiologists say while closing the lid of a toilet before flushing is generally good hygiene and will help prevent the spread of many dangerous pathogens, there is no need to panic as there's currently little evidence showing toilet plumes have spread *********-19.

million$momma

I think the glory of an RV or trailer is that they have their own bathrooms. If my parents still had their trailer, we would probably consider using it. There are places to camp that are close enough we wouldn't need to purchase gas if we didn't want to.

However, it was so much work to load the thing, and we always had scads of dead flies in it that had to be vacumned out, and then the turn signal light died so for a number of years Mom only took it on back roads because it wasn't really legal to drive it in town. Ultimately, I think a mouse snuck in and ate part of the cushions.

At which point Mom & Dad said, "Sayonara," to the trailer.
We went to Sam's this afternoon to look at a storage cabinet. We are out of compliance with the HOA rules for garage storage, which I've been telling DH we were since we moved but whaddya I know :wall:, so we needed to get closed cabinet shelving asap.

About 30% of people were wearing masks. No Clorox wipes or Lysol. Usually they have pallets and pallets and pallets of all brands of TP. There was an ample selection but you could see lots of empty floor space. I did get ready to serve margarita bottles, reese's peanut butter cups and gardettos, cheese.
Totally off topic ... but ... they care what the inside of your garage looks like!?!

once_upon

Totally off topic ... but ... they care what the inside of your garage looks like!?!

Yes, the garages are in a shared underground parking lot. The townhomes have a storage closet under their stairs and the towers each have a cage storeage in a contained storeroom. You can also store things along the wall of your parking place(s) - you own as many parking places as you have bedrooms.

Apparently in 2014 there was enough stacking of stuff, junk everywhere and directly on the floor in the parking places (not elevated the suggested 4") that the HOA members amended the by laws.

Some of it aesthetics (there are a lot of rules that are aesthetics based, like color of window coverings), some of it was prevention of rodents and most of it seems to be about maintenance/cleaning. In the 2011 flood, the flood waters never reached here. But there was ground water in the sub basement and some seeping into the garages as the sump pumps in the sub basement tried to keep up.

The HOA rents a dumpster every spring and fall for clean up. Garage "inspection" by the property management and Board is set for July 6th.

MacMadame

Staying at home
There are a lot of articles about how C19 is detected here and there. The problem with all these studies is that they don't test specifically for "live" ***** but just any amount of *****. So if there is dead ***** on a surface, it gets detected but it can't infect you. Another issue is that scientists still haven't figured out what the viral load is to get infected. I've read they think it's been 100 and 1000 units but that's a big range! So even if the ***** is alive and detectable, it may not be in great enough quantity to infect you. But the stories don't say that and they get everyone agitated for nothing.

Also, it causes disinfecting wipes to be sold out everywhere so I can't buy them to clean up my ancient dog's accidents. :mad:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Interesting about whether or not the ***** is live. One thing I wonder about in testing is under what circumstances? Do they spray a quantity of ***** on something and then leave it there in the temperature/light/circulation controlled lab to see how long it takes to die or dissipate?

Because that's not really how things work. Sure, if someone breathes directly onto a jar of jam and then you pick it up a few minutes later and either get it close enough to your unmasked face or touch your face with an ungloved hand, then yeah. But isn't it more likely that whatever tiny droplet might have randomly landed on that jar will be long gone by the time you get to it, and if it's not, it won't be enough to infect you particularly if you are employing the simplest protocols of PPE and washing, sunning or quarantining goods before you use them?

I wish I knew the answer.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Interesting about whether or not the ***** is live. One thing I wonder about in testing is under what circumstances? Do they spray a quantity of ***** on something and then leave it there in the temperature/light/circulation controlled lab to see how long it takes to die or dissipate?

Because that's not really how things work. Sure, if someone breathes directly onto a jar of jam and then you pick it up a few minutes later and either get it close enough to your unmasked face or touch your face with an ungloved hand, then yeah. But isn't it more likely that whatever tiny droplet might have randomly landed on that jar will be long gone by the time you get to it, and if it's not, it won't be enough to infect you particularly if you are employing the simplest protocols of PPE and washing, sunning or quarantining goods before you use them?

I wish I knew the answer.
I do believe that is how they do the testing. At least in the studies I've read, that's how they did it. They do it this way because it's a controlled environment. And the goal isn't necessarily to give lay people an exact number of minutes before they touch things but to get an idea for how the ***** spreads and how it compars to other viruses.

And your last point is why I don't wipe down stuff coming into the house. It's just such an unlikely vector for transmission. I mean the UPS guy would have to sneeze on my package the second he's handing it to me and then I'd have to touch it immediately and not wash my hands right after that and even then there's a good chance the viral load isn't enough to infect me.

This is also why the advice is to wash your hands often and not touch your face.

once_upon

I've am slowing relaxing the super disinfecting stuff. We dont know much about this ***** but I'm going back to my old IC stuff regarding surfaces. If its wet and not your put a barrier between you and it. You might not see droplets/secretions but they are wet and not yours. Barrier (mask). I suppose it's possible that ***** on surface is wet and you dont know it. If the surface looks wet or soiled and it's not wet because you just disinfected, wipe it off. Because it is assumed this ***** is respiratory spread.

Now I'm more concerned with c-diff, VRE, norovirus, rotavirus, hepatitis because they are fecal/oral spread and handwashing after touching surfaces is not always possible.

Susan1

Governor Cuomo is ending his daily briefings on Friday.
DeWine has only been doing them twice a week unless something happens or needs to be announced. Right now they are having the police reform press conference. I'm not watching.

So, today was "get milk" day. Nice weather before it gets ungodly hot, so I decided to take two library books back - before they would have people at the curb at 3. Of course there was one more car in the parking lot, a woman and probably her granddaughter returning books too. I waited till they got back in the car before I got out. I parked in the parking lot so I could walk across the street to the book drop. It was nice to be walking somewhere without a mask and getting fresh air. I always put the mask on in the car before I get out.

(Oh, Walgreen's had packs of 50 masks for $34.99, so I got one. They were $39.99 at Office Depot. I only wear mine an hour or less 2-3 times a week and nobody gets close enough to breathe on me, but who knows how long this will last. The cloth one is two sided and is too hot for summer.)

So, I went to Kroger. As I was getting a little cart, two girls about 14 were coming toward me. One said to the other "are we supposed to wear masks?". The other one said "no". As usual only about half of the people had them on (not crowded).

I took a bedspread to the laundromat yesterday. There were four cars/SUVs/whatever people drive now in the parking lot. One person was sitting in one car. Found out one of the other cars was the guy who cleans. Three fat (well, sorry but, yeah) women and a kid were sitting at one of the folding tables (not the round table by the vending machines) eating McDonald's and the kid was playing a really loud video game and they were yelling over it. I almost turned around. No masks, of course. There are signs out front - no loitering, no groups, wait in your car, etc.

So I stuck it in the washer and went out to my car to read - again, before it gets too hot to do that. I saw the woman in the car go in and get her stuff and leave while I was reading - wearing a mask. I checked my watch and the time on the washer before I went out, and I was walking back in right while those slobs were all hauling baskets full of laundry out so I waited to the side till they got to their car. So.....I put my thing in the dryer (they have been free since this laundromat opened back up. Figures, I only would have used a quarter's worth cause I can stick it in the dryer at home). Out of a 12 minute cycle, I just stood by the open door for 4 minutes, and watched the cleaning guy sweeping up french fries. He did not have on a mask either. And a woman and a bunch of kids came in - no masks. I packed up my slightly damp bedspread (I don't know what it is. It's almost chenille in a waffle pattern. It's light throw weight, but it's way longer than the bed, but not wide enough to touch the floor on either side of a double bed) and left.

Buzz

Socialist Canada
Both the Bundesliga and the English Premier League have resumed play. I am watching Dortmund v Mainz with no fans and it just feels strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information