News & Experiences continued

Lara

It's JJ style!
102 new cases in Quebec. So close to double digits finally after all the weeks in April/May where we were stuck in the 700 (or worse) range!
Latest graph here - https://twitter.com/mtlgazette/status/1272579760019902464/photo/1
20 deaths however is still unfortunate. :(

My parents and I were able to visit my brother, his girlfriend and their new puppy yesterday - fortunately their apartment has a large enough backyard so we could stay outdoors. So grateful but crossing all fingers it can hold under reopening. The government just announced that up to 50 people can gather indoors as of June 22, which is a huge shift from no more than 10 people outdoors from 3 different households...

emason

Yes, on the swab test; I had one last week and it is very uncomfortable, but the whole thing is over in 10 seconds. In the grand scheme of things that's a very minor, if painful, inconvenience.

I have no experience with the 'blood test.'

mocha-ice

102 new cases in Quebec. So close to double digits finally after all the weeks in April/May where we were stuck in the 700 (or worse) range!
Latest graph here - https://twitter.com/mtlgazette/status/1272579760019902464/photo/1
20 deaths however is still unfortunate. :(

The government just announced that up to 50 people can gather indoors as of June 22, which is a huge shift from no more than 10 people outdoors from 3 different households...

It’s hard to believe a month ago we were at 700+ cases! Never would I have guessed we’d be at close to 100 now. I’m a little concerned about the gathering but I think part of the reason is being St-Jean, let’s be honest, people were kind of going to do it anyway and probably not with proper social distancing. I’m hoping now that’s it’s allowed people will be more inclined to actually follow the 1.5m rule. Or at least that’s what I am telling myself.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Four NFL players, two on the Cowboys and two on the Texans, have tested positive. Camps haven't opened yet.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Monday that multiple players from the Cowboys and the Texans have tested positive for *********-19. Shortly after that report, Rapoport said that star running back Ezekiel Elliott is among the group to test positive.

Though Rapoport noted that the players had not been inside their teams’ facilities, the positive tests show how complicated it will be for NFL teams to even try to return to action this year.

Outside of Elliott “feeling good,” Rapoport did not note whether the other players were symptomatic or asymptomatic. Either way, the fact that players are carrying the ***** now — before teams have assembled with 90 players sharing a workspace — does not particularly bode well for a league that has been intent on working through this *********.

Dobre

In Peru, Thousands of Faces at Mass -- None Now Alive
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...eru-thousands-of-faces-at-mass-none-now-alive
A brief article about an archbishop who filled his church with portraits of those lost to the *****.

Outside of Elliott “feeling good,” Rapoport did not note whether the other players were symptomatic or asymptomatic. Either way, the fact that players are carrying the ***** now — before teams have assembled with 90 players sharing a workspace — does not particularly bode well for a league that has been intent on working through this *********.

It shows why the tests need to be done before they start practicing. And, I would think, that players need to be isolated during the season. Which is/would be, I'll grant you, a mighty tough endeavor to pull off with that many people + their families.

once_upon

Four NFL players, two on the Cowboys and two on the Texans, have tested positive. Camps haven't opened yet.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Monday that multiple players from the Cowboys and the Texans have tested positive for *********-19. Shortly after that report, Rapoport said that star running back Ezekiel Elliott is among the group to test positive.

Though Rapoport noted that the players had not been inside their teams’ facilities, the positive tests show how complicated it will be for NFL teams to even try to return to action this year.

Yeah I wonder how many of those non mask wearers would react if their favorite NCAA or NFL player were on a vent? Because there have been plenty of healthy 20-40 year old people with serious complications/deaths.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The WNBA is set to play a 22 game season (with postseason).

The WNBA officially announced Monday that, in agreement with the players' union, it plans to have a 22-game regular season starting in late July. The league is finalizing an agreement with IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, to host all the games, including the postseason in October...

One key element of the proposal is that players will receive 100% of their salaries despite playing 22 games instead of the 36 originally scheduled before the season's May 15 start was delayed by the ******** *********.

The U.S. Open is planning to announce it will start as scheduled on August 31.

The US Open is close to announcing its tournament is on as scheduled for Aug. 31 — with the Cincinnati tuneup being moved to Queens to be played the week before, according to tennis sources.

The USTA has negotiated with the ATP and WTA officials for a tennis restart plan and has been approved with an official announcement possibly coming Wednesday. The USTA is awaiting approval from state health officials with its plan.

The postponed Washington D.C. event would kick off the charge to Flushing on Aug. 16. The Rogers Cup in Canada will be removed from the schedule and the Western & Southern Open — normally played in Mason, Ohio — would begin a week before the Open in Flushing Meadows to create a quarantined environment for three weeks. Both the men and women normally play in Cincinnati two weeks before the Open as the last significant tuneup.

Susan1

Ohio - 41,576 cases.

Quick sort by age - the highest number of cases is people in their 30s - 6,807, the next is 50s - 6,732. Then 40s, 20s, 60s, 80s, 70s. Last, under 20 - 1,135.

Deaths go from highest in their 80s - 1,367, then on down the decades in order. 15 people in their 30's have died and 9 people in their 20's. None under 20.

Hospitalizations - the highest is 1,534 people in their 60's. But 280 in their 20s and 106 under 20.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Speaking of travelling during lockdowns/border closing, both of our local papers ran this story over the weekend. Conveniently placed next to ads for RV dealerships :rolleyes:

I guess it's a "safer way to vacation" than staying in hotels and motels that might not be cleaned enough, but still, I got really mad at this article. Especially when BC is still trying to encourage social distancing and limited bubbles of contact.

Japanfan

@overedge, RVing is definitely a safer way to vacation and maintain limited bubbles of contact. That is in a campground - wilderness camping, even better. Definitely not in a trailer park where there is not much more than 6 feet between trailers which are stacked almost on top of one another.

People are going to wanting to get away a bit if possible this summer, especially city dwellers. RVs could be a good way to do it. That is all the article will be staying.

And a lot of RV travel is local - to a lake or scenic area for a few days.

We are thinking of renting a cabin in a remote area of the province for a few days.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
@Japanfan even in an RV you still have to buy supplies, get gas, and do other things that involve contact with people outside your region and social circle. And I've never seen anyone go wilderness camping in an RV. Most RVs wouldn't be able to drive on the roads that lead to wilderness camping areas.

I think people should be encouraged to go out of town on vacation when it's safe(r) to do so. IMO it's not that time yet.

Japanfan

@Japanfan even in an RV you still have to buy supplies, get gas, and do other things that involve contact with people outside your region and social circle. And I've never seen anyone go wilderness camping in an RV. Most RVs wouldn't be able to drive on the roads that lead to wilderness camping areas.

I think people should be encouraged to go out of town on vacation when it's safe(r) to do so. IMO it's not that time yet.

Maybe off-the-beaten track would be a better word than wilderness in this case. We mostly did that when we went camping in our RV. Some dirt roads were manageable in the vehicle. The only times we didn't was when there was no alternative to a paid site. But our options were limited as compared to tenting, when we would follow roads on logging maps. Most of those roads have since fallen into disrepair, and I'm glad we had a chance to explore them. And to camp in the days when you could still have campfires in the summer.

And a lot of RV trips are local (e.g. week-end/long week-end) I would feel perfectly safe heading to a lake a few hours away in an RV right now if we had one (we don't any more) and if the weather was agreeable (it hasn't been).

You have to get supplies regardless of what you are doing. And many need to get gas.

But I do get that lots of young people going camping could be a recipe for disaster. I think the province's point of view is that safe travel is best if people are going to travel. IIRC people did not respect social distancing on the ferries the last long week-end.

Parsley Sage

Two of the fall fairs near me have been cancelled. One in September and one in October (Thanksgiving weekend). I'm in Southern Ontario.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
You have to get supplies regardless of what you are doing. And many need to get gas.

And if you're just going away for a few days, you get supplies and gas before you go. You would probably need to get gas again, but that's quick and with precautions not terribly risky.

manhn

I think the issue was not so much whether RV-ing is safe or not, but that the family traveled around the province before non-essential travel is allowed. I believe that with the numbers so far, we will get the go-ahead later this week. But even when the province allows, a lot of towns will not want people to visit.

Before going anywhere, it's helpful to check out whether certain places will want visitors or not. A place like Victoria or Kelowna or Whistler will probably be open for business, but Haida Gwaii? Somehow, I doubt it.

Japanfan

Last edited:

Dobre

I think the glory of an RV or trailer is that they have their own bathrooms. If my parents still had their trailer, we would probably consider using it. There are places to camp that are close enough we wouldn't need to purchase gas if we didn't want to.

However, it was so much work to load the thing, and we always had scads of dead flies in it that had to be vacumned out, and then the turn signal light died so for a number of years Mom only took it on back roads because it wasn't really legal to drive it in town. Ultimately, I think a mouse snuck in and ate part of the cushions.

At which point Mom & Dad said, "Sayonara," to the trailer.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I think the glory of an RV or trailer is that they have their own bathrooms. If my parents still had their trailer, we would probably consider using it. There are places to camp that are close enough we wouldn't need to purchase gas if we didn't want to.

However, it's so much work to load the thing, and we always had scads of dead flies in it that had to be vacumned out, and then the turn signal light died so for a number of years Mom only took it on back roads because it wasn't really legal to drive it in town. Ultimately, I think a mouse snuck in and ate part of the cushions.

At which point Mom & Dad said, "Sayonara."

Having a bathroom and fridge and propane and heat if you need it is wonderful. I could never go back to tenting after having had an RV. But the preparation and loading can be an ordeal. And in our case I had to clean the house on top of that, because someone would always come in to visit our cat.

For us, the maintenance become a serious issue. Our RV was very old. Mr. Japanfan did all the maintenance and repairs, and it was always a money bleed, not to mention a lot of work.

The last time we used the RV and tire came of and rolled down a hill on the highway in front of us. Mr. Japanfan was able to get the vehicle to the side of the road. We called for a tow, found a motel in the nearest time, and left the vehicle at the wrecker the next morning. The cost of toeing it back home and doing the repairs was just too much. At that point, we were content to say Sayonara.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I think the issue was not so much whether RV-ing is safe or not, but that the family traveled around the province before non-essential travel is allowed. I believe that with the numbers so far, we will get the go-ahead later this week. But even when the province allows, a lot of towns will not want people to visit.

Before going anywhere, it's helpful to check out whether certain places will want visitors or not. A place like Victoria or Kelowna or Whistler will probably be open for business, but Haida Gwaii? Somehow, I doubt it.

Also, it's not a coincidence when a newspaper article appears beside an ad that relates to the subject of the article. Particularly in these newspapers. I am pretty sure that the ad department sold the ads on the basis of, the ads will run next to an article that talks about how great and safe RVing is. So I don't think the article is exactly an unbiased take on the topic.

skatfan

Also, it's not a coincidence when a newspaper article appears beside an ad that relates to the subject of the article. Particularly in these newspapers. I am pretty sure that the ad department sold the ads on the basis of, the ads will run next to an article that talks about how great and safe RVing is. So I don't think the article is exactly an unbiased take on the topic.

the articles that I am reading about relative risks say that staying in a hotel is risk level 2 out of 9. Getting gas is higher, like level 4. I have to imagine a mobile home is lower than that.

Leading people to do lower risk activities is a better strategy at this point. Thinking everyone will stay home for a year isn’t going to happen, so I’d rather see people camping and hiking in less dense areas instead of going to bars (I’m looking at you, Scottsdale).

I am headed to the LA area at the end of the month - I’ll drive and stay in a hotel, which has a fridge and coffee maker. I’m leading an outdoor graveside service for my beloved friend who died of YKW. Working out with friends on how to get together outside and socially distanced while I’m there. I’ll bring my coveted chlorine wipes for restrooms and the hotel room, and pack a cooler for meals on the way and back.

Last edited:

manhn

I live in a condo and I work in an office building, i don’t find hotel staying that much different. If anything, there will be fewer people in a hotel. People seem to have figured out elevator use.

quartz

scratching at the light
We are talking, seriously now, about putting in the patio that we started talking about 16 years ago when we moved to our current house. If we manage this (because we don’t have enough house projects to do with getting the son’s shabby little house sorted out - :rolleyes: ) then I am getting a glider swing to put on this possible patio, and so I will vacation there, with stacks and stacks of books and glasses and glasses of wine. No people about, no gas required, and easy access to my own bathroom. We already have a nice fire pit and loads of firewood, so the backyard is going to be my vacation destination this summer.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
the articles that I am reading about relative risks say that staying in a hotel is risk level 2 out of 9. Getting gas is higher, like level 4. I have to imagine a mobile home is lower than that.

I'm not going to believe an article saying RVing is safe when it's printed right next to ads for an RV dealership.

Also, a lot of the RVs and trailers I see on the highways are rentals. There's no way to know how careful the last renters were, or how thoroughly the dealer cleaned it before renting it out again.

Orm Irian

It's been 21 days since our last imported case in SA, 55+ since our last local case, and we're opening our borders to Western Australia, the NT and Tasmania without requiring quarantines from tomorrow. :cheer2: Other states and territories will have to wait a bit longer, but it's a start.

Japanfan

I'm not going to believe an article saying RVing is safe when it's printed right next to ads for an RV dealership.

Also, a lot of the RVs and trailers I see on the highways are rentals. There's no way to know how careful the last renters were, or how thoroughly the dealer cleaned it before renting it out again.

If I still had my own RV I would feel perfectly safe traveling in it, provided that I was able to practice social distancing. In fact, I'd feel safer than I do being out and about and running errands in the city.

Re the RV ads next to the article - I wonder if ads related to articles about issues are common? I actually have not paid any attention at all to that.

If one gets a rental, one can clean it to one's satisfaction before heading out in it.

Desperado

While trying to watch a video, I saw a YouTube ad for a cold remedy showing how the worker could go right back to work and got really annoyed about the “go work sick” message. Read. The. Room. Vicks.

once_upon

While trying to watch a video, I saw a YouTube ad for a cold remedy showing how the worker could go right back to work and got really annoyed about the “go work sick” message. Read. The. Room. Vicks.
As places reopen, the policies of stay home when sick will revert back to the "you are required to work and performance punishments" status. I'm betting you it happens before the real second wave occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information