News & Experiences continued

Susan1

Today - "Aquariums, art galleries, country clubs, ice and roller skating rinks, indoor family entertainment centers, indoor sports facilities, laser tag facilities, movie theaters, museums, public recreation centers, social clubs, trampoline parks and zoos will be able to reopen beginning June 10.
Outdoor playgrounds also are included in the latest orders, and day camps and residential camps may open at any time, DeWine’s office announced."

However, Kings Island and Cedar Point are still being figured out. Like people are going to stand in those long lines wearing masks?

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The United States reached 110,000 recorded fatalities today, with four states- New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Illinois having 100 or more CV19 deaths listed. Reported deaths have been averaging 1000 a day since Memorial Day. 13 states reported no CV19 deaths for the day.

The current projections suggest 125,000 deaths by July 4.

once_upon

Voter
I think with all the protests the C-19 death count is being overlooked. We dont hear about it on a daily basis anymore.

The next month is going to show if the weeks of stay at home was an effective strategy. With the opening of many venues, businesses around Memorial Day and the huge protests I think there will be a huge uptick in infection.

I heard a Gallop poll that said only 21% of those surveyed are ready to go out.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I've been going to protests and I have to say that there is a lot more social distancing than you'd think from watching the news. Most people stay with the groups they came with and they do space out. Plus most of us are all facing in the same direction. So our droplets are hitting someone's back (assuming the wind doesn't whip them away) and not someone's face. That's assuming we aren't spaced out enough but most of the time we are.

That said, as you get closer to the front, there is less social distancing. Which is why I don't get closer to the front.

Miezekatze

Today - "Aquariums, art galleries, country clubs, ice and roller skating rinks, indoor family entertainment centers, indoor sports facilities, laser tag facilities, movie theaters, museums, public recreation centers, social clubs, trampoline parks and zoos will be able to reopen beginning June 10.
Outdoor playgrounds also are included in the latest orders, and day camps and residential camps may open at any time, DeWine’s office announced."

However, Kings Island and Cedar Point are still being figured out. Like people are going to stand in those long lines wearing masks?

German amusement parks have already reopened with people having to wear masks while waiting (and in some parks during rides).

Susan1

German amusement parks have already reopened with people having to wear masks while waiting (and in some parks during rides).
I just can't imagine how they think they could pull it off. Are they going to put people on roller coasters 6 ft. apart? Sanitize everything anybody could touch between each ride? Make people wear masks in the heat? Under my mask got got sweaty just coming out of Kroger a couple days ago. (Funny, last summer, there were a couple days so hot that I went in the morning and my glasses steamed up when I came out.) Masks would blow off. Nobody will cough or sneeze or scream on anyone else? Not have concession stands or places to sit down and eat? One person at a time inside the souvenir shops?

And they are suing Dr. Acton. Today, DeWine will say that it is his order, not hers, and to come after him. Whine bags.

Japanfan

I just can't imagine how they think they could pull it off. Are they going to put people on roller coasters 6 ft. apart? Sanitize everything anybody could touch between each ride? Make people wear masks in the heat?
I agree with you. Going to an amusement park doesn't sound appealing at all at this time (not that I'm fond of them in general - too crowded).

As to the heat, so longs as masks are required or recommended, some people will be wearing them in the heat. There are plenty of hot places in the world. And cooler/cold places often have hot summers.

I hate wearing masks myself. I don't have much need to, as I'm mostly at home or at the park (never crowded) with the dog. Today I wore one to go to the doctor and then to pick something up at a store. I mostly found it very uncomfortable.

Orm Irian

Just came across this interesting CBC article on a promising-looking study on the potential of interferon treatment to improve recovery rates and times for *********-19 patients. Its looks like the bug somehow renders interferon less effective in triggering the immune system to protect uninfected cells, and interferon treatments given early may help to artificially trigger the immune system response. I hope the larger study they're about to do bears this out!

In other news, South Australia once again has no known cases. Our admirably responsible traveller has now been cleared of the bug, and so far, none of their contacts has manifested an infection. Another week and we should know if they're all okay.

And because we have little to no community transmission in the state, a BLM protest is being allowed to go ahead in Adelaide tomorrow, on the understanding that social distancing and hygiene recommendations are adhered to.

Miezekatze

I just can't imagine how they think they could pull it off. Are they going to put people on roller coasters 6 ft. apart? Sanitize everything anybody could touch between each ride?
Yeah, they are only filling every second row on the roller coasters and people are supposed to social distance in the lines and you can see someone sanitizing the rails in teh waiting area:

Generally of course the masks are no fun, but the last time I was at that park (it's one of the biggest in all of Europe) , we stayed a whole weekend and it was so crowded that we barely got to use any of the big popular roller coasters at all, because of all the people (waiting time for 1 ride up to 2 hours!), which made the whole weekend a sort of frustrating experience, so only 1/5 of the usual capacity actually sounds not so bad. :shuffle: You don't have to wear the masks while walking around outside of lines and rides, so you wouldn't have to wear them constantly all day long.

once_upon

Voter
Being a nurse with asthma before I retired and having worn masks a lot, I dont understand the I cant wear them. I'm sorry that people find them uncomfortable, I've never found them to be

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I think one has to get used to them - people tend to breath differently when they put them on. I sewed quite a few masks and I always gave the guideline to put them on at home at first and watch television for 20 minutes in order to forget the mask. Then people can notice that they can breath with them quite well. But I used thin anti-bacterial fabric as well which makes it easy to breath. Double or triple layer of cotton would not be so nice.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think one has to get used to them - people tend to breath differently when they put them on. I sewed quite a few masks and I always gave the guideline to put them on at home at first and watch television for 20 minutes in order to forget the mask. Then people can notice that they can breath with them quite well. But I used thin anti-bacterial fabric as well which makes it easy to breath. Double or triple layer of cotton would not be so nice.
That's the key. You get used to them being on and adjust your breathing. In fact, you get so used to them being there you have to pay closer attention to your hands to not touch the front of the mask. The real key to help those wearing glasses is being able to fit the mask over your nose. I don't understand the politicalization of wearing a mask that can potentially keep you and others from becoming ill.

once_upon

Voter
Yeah, if people want me to go out and reopen businesses, everyone wearing a mask (correctly) is a must.

I have asthma and have a particularly difficult time right now - I've added albuterol inhaler twice a day and yesterday needed two additional doses. I dont have trouble wearing one. Everyone else can wear one.

If people think we need to reopen, then do things that brings me back to dine in restaurants, use hand sanitizer, wipe down surfaces - not with a wet rag used for all tables, and make it effective by a real wet surface for 10-20 seconds. Have hand sanitizer available, I bring my own but pre KYW we often did spontaneous visits to bars/restaurants and I dont have the backpack with me.

If we want to open, I need to protect you and you need to protect me. Not just when you think about it but everytime you are out.

once_upon

Voter
Sorry, double post.

What I really need is a sustained reason for hope. Real reason - not lower unemployment numbers not peaceful protest, not individual stories of kindness. A real honest to God sustained story that is universally happening. A reason for hope

cholla

High ground loner
Being a nurse with asthma before I retired and having worn masks a lot, I dont understand the I cant wear them. I'm sorry that people find them uncomfortable, I've never found them to be
I think it's really a matter of being used to it. I wear one at work all day long and it doesn't bother me, even wearing glasses too. I tend to forget it to the point I soaked myself with my water bottle the other day because I hadn't taken it off! Wearing a mask is compulsory for everyone who comes to our medical office, and 3/4 of patients complain about being bothered, whether they are made of fabric or chirurgical. They ask me how I can stand to wear one permanently and I don't know what to answer. First, I have no choice so... Second I used to wear one before Crud19 when visiting some hospital units (oncology, infectiology) so it's not different, only longer. It's hard to deny entry to patients who refuse to wear a mask because, after 2 very slow months, we definitely need the business to run, i.e. to have as many customers as possible. But we do, because if anyone of us is sick, or if a patient gets infected in our office, we take the risk to simply go down for good. Since I went back to work 2 weeks ago, I've seen it all: people who think the ********* is definitely over and that we are being ridiculously coward; people who just don't give a flying fart about protecting themselves or others; people who wear one but only over their mouth, not their nose "otherwise they can't breath"; people who have it around their neck and do not understand that they must put in on before they get in, not only once they are inside; people who have it "in their car" but don't want to go back to fetch it because it'd be a waste of time; people who take it off to talk, or worse, to sneeze or cough... The "best" was a guy who told me he "knew his rights" and that we couldn't make it mandatory to wear a mask because such an obligation was forbidden by law. I had to print a document from the Ministry of Health and make him read it to prove him he was wrong. I gave him a chirurgical one (we are supposed to sell them € 0.95 apiece but he didn't want to pay as it wasn't his choice). We have a limit of 5 persons at the same time, including staff, but a lady came with her 4 children, all unmasked, and refused to have the older ones (teenagers) waiting outside because there is nowhere to sit in the street. So we had 2 old ladies, 1 with a cane and one with a walker waiting outside on their tired and damaged legs and feet. I asked the (so-called) lady if she thought it was normal that disabled elders had to make room for her perfectly healthy kids and her answer was: "it's your problem, not mine". The day after, we put some chairs outside so people could sit while waiting and when we came back from lunch... they were taken by customers of the bar across the street, who had litter the place with cigarette butts and empty bottles and soda cans.

We also ask people to use the hydro gel or wipes we hold at their disposal on the main desk before they touch anything. One out of two replies s/he has already disinfected hands with own stuff before coming. I'm sorry but we have to actually see them use gel or wipes just to be sure. I don't understand why people are being so difficult. Did they rebel like this when wearing seatbelts became mandatory or when smoking in public indoor places became prohibited? No. "It's not the same thing". Yes, it is. All the precautions to be taken and all the cleaning we have to do all day long make our work very complicated and burdensome. We have no choice but to comply to protect our customers and we do not complain. We are even more patient and understanding than we've ever been but you'd think we are asking them to run around naked with a feather sticking out of their bum... And guess what: the most difficult are also the oldest! I.e. the more at risk to catch the crud and be gravely ill + die.

But strangely, when I go grocery shopping, a good 90% wear masks when it is only "recommended" and not compulsory. I assume that since it's large indoor places instead of a small 3 rooms medical shop, people feel more at risk. In my area, among big businesses, only Decathlon (sport shops chain, French/European equivalent to REI in the US) has made wearing a mask mandatory. People do comply without having a cow. So why are they giving us such a hard time ?

Last edited:

Susan1

Yeah, they are only filling every second row on the roller coasters and people are supposed to social distance in the lines and you can see someone sanitizing the rails in teh waiting area:

Generally of course the masks are no fun, but the last time I was at that park (it's one of the biggest in all of Europe) , we stayed a whole weekend and it was so crowded that we barely got to use any of the big popular roller coasters at all, because of all the people (waiting time for 1 ride up to 2 hours!), which made the whole weekend a sort of frustrating experience, so only 1/5 of the usual capacity actually sounds not so bad. :shuffle: You don't have to wear the masks while walking around outside of lines and rides, so you wouldn't have to wear them constantly all day long.
I'm not planning on going, just thinking about all the problems. You'd have to sanitize all of the bars that people hold on to while they are on the ride. And I'm thinking about those switchback things you have to go through once you are in line. The Beast, for instance. There is an hour wait once you get that far when they have multiple trains with two people in each seat, with people packed in there. You couldn't get six feet away from the person in front of you and behind you and in the next row in front of you and the next row in back of you. And in the food lines. They'd be using all the hand sanitizer that people out in the world actually need just so some people can have fun. And with not being able to go there all this time (they would have opened for weekends in April), people will go berserk to get there, especially people who bought season passes last year before the price went up. Restrooms? And people would be taking their masks off and on and getting them dirty and dropping them on the ground.......... I keep mine in a little plastic bag on the car seat - on when I get out of the car, off when I get back in.
For awhile, I was wearing the sewn mask my cousin gave me that someone at his church made. It is double cotton - different pattern on either side. I wore it to get the keyboard, and it was hard to talk. It's gotten too hot now. He also gave me one of those blue ones with the stiff nose piece. I can't get it to stay. It's disposable, but I only wear it inside wherever. I think I was in CVS for 10 minutes to pick up my prescription and I wasn't even in the same aisle with anybody else going back to the pharmacy and coming back out. A customer was walking away when I got back there. They have a table in front of the counter with the credit card machine on it and the plexiglass at the counter so you don't even get close to the clerk. And a wipe station, which I always use.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My dog's groomer has an autoimmune disease and has created a way to safely transfer pets to them. It's easy and effective. She's had people curse at the groomers because they were being inconvenienced. People who cursed because they wanted an appointment NOW while they were trying to get all the cancelled appointments rescheduled as quickly as possible. My hairdresser said they'd had the same. There are some seriously entitled people in the world. Business owners are doing their best to reopen. Our hospital is having issues with visitors. They're allowing only 1 visitor at a time/patient. First, there isn't room for more in a patient's room and second, they're trying to keep everybody healthy. But, patients and visitors are having little tantrums because it's inconvenient.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Make people wear masks in the heat?
I was out in 95F heat yesterday, walking on asphalt on the street with no shade for 2 hours yesterday wearing a mask. It was fine. My biggest issue was that my pants were made of a material that didn't breathe.

The N95 masks are hard to breathe in IME but the cloth ones are a pain but mostly just take getting used to.

If people think we need to reopen, then do things that brings me back to dine in restaurants, use hand sanitizer, wipe down surfaces -
It's like this: I DEMAND that you re-open and I REFUSE to do the one thing that will make it possible.

Did they rebel like this when wearing seatbelts became mandatory or when smoking in public indoor places became prohibited? No.
Actually they did. People suck.

once_upon

Voter
It's also like this: I demand you come to my reopened business but I wont do anything to make you feel that you are protected as much as possible.

cholla

High ground loner
I got into a snapping contest with French actress Juliette Binoche on Insta because of this "so called" cure that she presented like the ultimate and miraculous solution. Until then, besides her huge talent for acting, I had pegged her as a level-headed, cultured and very clever woman who often dabs into political and societal matters but always with perspicacity, weighing all the aspects of everything. I was very surprised she had taken it upon herself to profusely and enthusiastically advertise something that isn't scientifically verified and counter-verified. Artemisia is used in several alternative (and some old) medicines for, among others, its anti inflammatory proprieties. It has also been used to treat malaria (like chloroquine). But it is also a very toxic plant if you don't use it properly and/or in wrong doses. And if it was a proper cure against cov19, I assume scientists would have thought it out before Madame Binoche :shuffle:

Susan1

Ohio today -

35,096 confirmed cases + 2,662 probable = 37,758 total; 443,533 tests
Still - Ages <1 - 109. Median age - 49

Hospitalized - 6,385 (PBS - 690 still in hospital as of yesterday)
ICU - 1,632; Healthcare workers - 5,636 (15% of cases)

Deaths - 2,135 confirmed + 220 probable = 2,355 (18 more than yesterday)

Columbus - 6,323 / 295
Cleveland - 4,789 / 265
Cincinnati - 2,811 / 171
Back up to 12th - Dayton - 734 / 17 / 182 hosp.

Mostly about the c.v. today and it was only an hour with a few questions.
There are currently 40 retailers (CVS, Walgreen, Rite-Aid, Walmart, Kroger) around the state who do testing on-site for anyone with symptoms. DeWine is working with them to expand testing at more sites.

General Harris of the National Guard talked about nursing home testing again. He mentioned “respectfully” several times again. They have 12 teams collecting and delivering the samples to 11 labs. They are all medically trained. All staff gets tested and then clinical team identifies outbreaks of residents for testing. Something that stuck out when he was talking about what they do so I wrote it down - if they lose staff due to “illness”, they will step in to replace them. Cool.

DeWine went on and on about people complaining about why Ohio didn’t open everything right away without restrictions. He was kind of stern. Without mentioning people wanting to sue Dr. Acton. They needed to layer in phases to monitor cases and hospitalizations after each phase. And wait on things that would be a higher risk to more people. Statewide, the R-0 is less than 1:1, with some higher spots.

They had all those teams of experts who had detailed plans that were submitted to the Gov. for different businesses, activities and venues. Now they are moving on to more unique things, but have to be consistent. The ***** is still out there and as contagious as ever. He said it “makes absolutely no sense”, and I said he’s going to say “irresponsible” right before he said it.

He said your actions impact other Ohioans. And used the drunk driving example.

So, they caved anyway. Amusement parks, casinos, racinos, water parks (are they going to wear masks?) and outdoor theaters will open in 2 weeks from today. These places have submitted specific plans. The Memorial Golf Tournament (big $$ for Columbus) will be July 13-19. (We were in Columbus for some reason - shopping?, I remember going to a Shoney's after we lost ours - one year, not knowing that was going on. Sheesh. We did get to see the Snoopy blimp though.) Reporter asked about other golf tournaments. DeWine said as long as they submit the same kind of plan, he doesn’t see why not.

The Lt. Gov. said they have people working on these things seven days a week. They are working on plans for stadiums, auditoriums and contact/school sports.

Dr. Acton said as you are going back to these things to think before you go and have a plan. And to remember to social distance, wear a mask and disinfect. And “go with grace”.

Next update Tuesday unless something happens.

sk8pics

Today I went by the shelter to pick up food for Bradley, and I was waiting outside for the staff member to bring it out to me. And the woman who runs the vet clinic came out of the shelter, saw me, and just lit up. She said, “Are you hugging yet?” Happily I had read a NY Times article this morning about how to hug safely and I said, “Yes! We can do it safely! We’re both wearing masks, and we look in opposite directions!” And so we did! Just for an instant and then we both jumped back. It was my first hug since mid-March. And then I also saw the development director and we talked, wearing masks and standing a ways apart. It was great!

once_upon

Voter
Cases in Nebraska stays around the 250-260 a day. Bars opened Monday, sports teams can practice again, all parks are open, increase size of gatherings to 25 and we already know about protests (obviously more than 25).

Japanfan

Did they rebel like this when wearing seatbelts became mandatory or when smoking in public indoor places became prohibited?
Yes. I know someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt even today.

With smoking, it wasn't so easy. People may not have liked it, but if someone lights up in a non-smoking space, it's obvious immediately. A person can drive without a seatbelt for quite a while without anyone noticing.

skatfan

Yes. I know someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt even today.

With smoking, it wasn't so easy. People may not have liked it, but if someone lights up in a non-smoking space, it's obvious immediately. A person can drive without a seatbelt for quite a while without anyone noticing.
My dad was not a seat belt wearer in a consistent way until I would cheerily call “seatbelts!” in a musical way as we got in the car. Since I was his daughter he didn’t object. Good on the school for educating me to encourage him. Soon it was habit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 12)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information