News & Experiences continued

once_upon

New condo owner
As early as August, now, they say we may open borders to one another. The hope is to include the Pacific Islands also, eventually; but that must be done more carefully.

I imagine there will be a bit of travel "over the ditch"; New Zealand is a beautiful place for a holiday at any time of year!
I mourn my trip to Australia/New Zealand. I dont think I'll be able to see down under. By the time we have open borders/no travel restrictions its likely I wont be able to travel. :(

Susan1

I saw a commercial for Hocking Hills cabins today! Hot tub capital of Ohio. The whole area was closed because they didn't want people to be passing each other on trails. A few of the trails are open. The commercial mentioned the sanitation of the cabins.

"The park will be taking new reservations for the campground and cabin areas with an arrival date of July 15 or later."

Immortelle

I mourn my trip to Australia/New Zealand. I dont think I'll be able to see down under. By the time we have open borders/no travel restrictions its likely I wont be able to travel. :(
It’s such a long way. It wasn’t until I moved back to the UK for a while that I realised just how far away we are here. It’s a blessing but also a curse.

Zemgirl

This seems like it could be of interest to all of you in the US:

Orm Irian

Well, we broke our 18-day streak of no new cases and somewhat shorter streak of no cases at all here in South Australia this week: a person from overseas who'd been granted compassionate leave to travel to the state and had done partial quarantine in Victoria tested positive on arrival in SA. Due to SA Health making a rare mix-up on their arrival, we now have approximately 20 other people self-isolating in case they've also been exposed - no blame on the traveller who has incredibly responsible in their behaviour and still hasn't yet seen the dying relative they were travelling to see, but it makes it very obvious how even one tiny mistake has the potential to be the start of a cluster.

No new cases since then, but the next week will be when we'll expect to see new cases popping up if anyone was infected.

WA is dealing with a livestock transport ship with cases among the crew, again after they'd got community transmission way down...it's terrifying how quickly new hotspots can flare up.

Louis

Private citizen
But, but, they only achieved it by the state taking away people's civil liberties and forcing them to stay at home. Oh, the humanity :drama:
For what it's worth, I think Australia and New Zealand have been smart in their approach. It's just not easily replicated in the rest of the world, which cannot realistically close borders the way Australia / New Zealand have without disrupting supply chains, creating food shortages, etc.

I'd be quite satisfied if the UK had the same restrictions as Australia / New Zealand - even Phase 1 would seem like paradise. Temporary, time-bound restrictions with a clear exit plan do not trample all over civil liberties. Indefinite orders, like some of the the ones in California, are the sort of tyranny that led to the American Revolution. Maybe it will happen again. Since the Democrats are so keen on the right to looting and violence, the San Francisco mayor's office and governor's mansion would be great first place to start. :saint:

Most of the so-called "red states" have taken approaches similar(ish) to Australia and New Zealand and are doing fine. The liberal states are stuck in ******** hell because their approach doesn't work, isn't sustainable, and IMO is politically v. health motivated.

Debbie S

Ohio Health Department Identifies 13 ******** Cases in 8 Counties From January
https://tinyurl.com/yamytwmc
Other states have also confirmed YKW cases as early as January. It's really a miracle that no one got sick after Nats (at least, that we know of). Obviously, attendees are a small group but they did come from all over the country. There could have been a serious cluster.

mag

Most of the so-called "red states" have taken approaches similar(ish) to Australia and New Zealand and are doing fine. The liberal states are stuck in ******** hell because their approach doesn't work, isn't sustainable, and IMO is politically v. health motivated.
No, the “red states” have not. What happened to the fact oriented precise Louis?

Dobre

I'm not sure any states would describe themselves as doing "fine."

Hawaii has the the lowest number of per capita cases. (Democratic governor).
Montana has the 2nd lowest number of per capita cases. (Democratic governor).
Alaska has the 3rd lowest number of per capita cases. (Republican governor).
Oregon has the 4th lowest number of per capita cases. (Democratic governor).
West Virginia has the 5th lowest number of per capita cases. (Republican governor).

once_upon

New condo owner
Also there have been credible reports of those "red" states not reporting case or deliberately display data in a deceptive manner.

bladesofgorey

This dashboard is useful for up to date mortality rates by country which although there are caveats (which countries were hit first, population testing rates etc.) is probably a better reference when making comparisons between places than "gut" feelings:

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
This dashboard is useful for up to date mortality rates by country which although there are caveats (which countries were hit first, population testing rates etc.) is probably a better reference when making comparisons between places than "gut" feelings:
that is interesting although at times misleading as well. In the case of Belgium, per instance, they are counting probable cases as cornoa cases as well. So if for instance someone dies in a assistet living facility and had symptoms that may have been the crud - they are counted as death for *********. Whereas in most other countries only confirmed cases are counted. So there should be an asterix at some countries to explain the differences.

bladesofgorey

I agree, alternatively places where testing was very, very slow to be accessible to most like in the US there are thousands of uncounted ********* deaths since many people died untested at home, and even in the hospitals tests were not "wasted" on dead people.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Speaking of Belgium...

BARCELONA (Reuters) - A nephew of Belgium’s King Philippe, Prince Joachim, has tested positive for ******** after attending a party in Spain, which Spanish media said broke lockdown rules because of the number of people there.

The prince, 28, tested positive after attending the gathering in the southern city of Cordoba on May 26, a spokesperson for the Belgian Royal Palace said on Saturday.

To be fair to the prince (because one should always try to be fair to royalty), there were 27 people at the party, in a 15 person max rule in Cordoba. And even I, who has been hiding in a cave for the past 2 and a half months, might stay at a 27 when it shouldn't be more than 15 person party if I were having a really good time and the hors d'oeurvres were halfway decent.

skatfan

Today I officiated at a small wedding outdoors. It was pretty windy so I decided not to wear a mask, I was closer than six feet on the patio trying to get the sound system to work and having folks sign the marriage license. I was invited inside but of course declined. All of this legal in Arizona. Hope it wasn’t a mistake.

once_upon

New condo owner
We went to Menards to pick up a couple of things for house. Masks were mandatory, there were staff at the door to ensure compliance. No children under 16 allowed in the store, only 500 in the store (large sq footage store covers blocks). At no time did I feel that people were closer than 6 ft. Everyone following social distancing.

They had shelves of toilet paper. I got a 12 ultra mega roll package. No hand sanitizer or wipes though.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Today I officiated at a small wedding outdoors. It was pretty windy so I decided not to wear a mask, I was closer than six feet on the patio trying to get the sound system to work and having folks sign the marriage license. I was invited inside but of course declined. All of this legal in Arizona. Hope it wasn’t a mistake.
It seems reasonable to me since it was outdoors. And windy.

I just came back from the vet where only the customers wear masks and I don't think that is reasonable but I'm not changing vets at this point so I just shake my head and put up with it. (Also, Sparky got fluids and 3 shots and is already perking up.)

There were way more people in cars today than there was on Memorial Day. And two different houses in the trailer park where families were visiting without masks or social distancing. Yes, they were sitting on the porch, so outside, but visiting your grandparents with no masks and social distancing is just horrifying to me. I try not to fuss about what other people do when it doesn't impact me but I'm just so over how horrible the US response has been.

Susan1

We went to Menards to pick up a couple of things for house. Masks were mandatory, there were staff at the door to ensure compliance. No children under 16 allowed in the store, only 500 in the store (large sq footage store covers blocks). At no time did I feel that people were closer than 6 ft. Everyone following social distancing.

They had shelves of toilet paper. I got a 12 ultra mega roll package. No hand sanitizer or wipes though.
When I went to get my keyboard at Office Depot, they had three different kinds of masks at the cash register. Boxes of 50 for ~$40.

once_upon

New condo owner
It looks like cases in my county today is 254, yesterday it was 150. Unless I read the data incorrectly. I dont see data on hospital occupancy or ventilator available.

Let's open the bars. Where people are very unlikely to wear masks (how can you drink through a mask) or practice social distancing (the idea of bars is to socialize. But what do I know?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information