News & Experiences continued

antmanb

And I want to stop running up various national credit cards for all of this unnecessary stimulus to pay people who are willing and able to go to work to stay home and do nothing.
I don't even understand what this means :lol: why would you personally have to run up credit cards, national or otherwise, to pay people?

skatfan

I don't even understand what this means :lol: why would you personally have to run up credit cards, national or otherwise, to pay people?
Louis is talking about the increasing national debt used to pay for income support and stimulus. He’s right that in the end we will all have to find a way to pay for this, and as a higher earner who self-describes as being proud of always being able to always make money, I assume he thinks he will pay a larger share.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Several children at Texas Children's Hospital have multisystem inflammatory syndrome linked to CV19.

The hospital stated that not all of its patients are critically ill from the syndrome. For privacy reasons, the hospital has not said exactly how many patients it’s treating or how old they are.

“There was no reason to think that Houston and Texas would skip this consequence of *********-19 infection and sure enough, it arrived in about the same time frame as the original infection hit us compared to the East Coast,” said Dr. Lara Shekerdemian, chief of critical care.

antmanb

Louis is talking about the increasing national debt used to pay for income support and stimulus. He’s right that in the end we will all have to find a way to pay for this, and as a higher earner who self-describes as being proud of always being able to always make money, I assume he thinks he will pay a larger share.
Yes, paying back the deficit of national debt I understand - paying more in taxes one way or the other to pay for the deficit I understand, but taking on personal debt, or running up credit cards is not something that is even related to that so I don't understand what he means when he says "I want to stop running up various national credit cards". What does that have to do with stimulus money, or paying back the deficit (which we most certainly haven't even begun to address) or indeed anything? If you want to stop running up a credit card then stop, and pay it off with the deca millions you have in the bank ;)

skatfan

Yes, paying back the deficit of national debt I understand - paying more in taxes one way or the other to pay for the deficit I understand, but taking on personal debt, or running up credit cards is not something that is even related to that so I don't understand what he means when he says "I want to stop running up various national credit cards". What does that have to do with stimulus money, or paying back the deficit (which we most certainly haven't even begun to address) or indeed anything? If you want to stop running up a credit card then stop, and pay it off with the deca millions you have in the bank ;)
“National credit card” is a colloquial term for national debt. He’s not talking about anyone’s actual credit card. ;)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I assumed he wasn't referring to his personal credit card, that it was a metaphor of sorts.

eta.... I am not an english major. Metaphor,simile, colloquial term etc... I think we all got the same point there in the end.

antmanb

“National credit card” is a colloquial term for national debt. He’s not talking about anyone’s actual credit card. ;)
:rofl:

The penny finally dropped!!

It’s been a long week I’ve taken Monday and Tuesday off to enjoy the sun! Hopefully my brain will work again by Wednesday!

Louis

Private citizen
Yes, someone has to pay for all of this stimulus.

$2,000,000,000,000 stimulus, divided equally (IF ONLY!), is $6000 per person in the U.S.
Half of people (approximately) don't pay taxes, so you can make the bill $12,000.

Higher income earners will pay the lion's share of it. I don't know what it works out to, but I figure I'm probably paying $25,000 or $30,000 just for this one stimulus. Not only am I paying for it, but I'm being forced to put it onto the "national credit card," with accumulating uncontrolled interest, so that by the time the U.S. is done billing me for all of this, it will probably cost $50,000 or more.

I wish there were a law against deficits, to require the government to bill people for their "services" as they incur them. We'd see just how many people were still in favor of this "free money."

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The New York Times has an article on herd immunity that finally explains it in language I can understand.

Even in some of the hardest-hit cities in the world, the studies suggest, the vast majority of people still remain vulnerable to the *****.

Some countries — notably Sweden, and briefly Britain — have experimented with limited lockdowns in an effort to build up immunity in their populations. But even in these places, recent studies indicate that no more than 7 to 17 percent of people have been infected so far. In New York City, which has had the largest ******** outbreak in the United States, around 20 percent of the city’s residents have been infected by the ***** as of early May, according to a survey of people in grocery stores and community centers released by the governor’s office...

Dr. Mina of Harvard suggested thinking about population immunity as a firebreak, slowing the spread of the disease.

If you are infected with the ***** and walk into a room where everyone is susceptible to it, he said, you might infect two or three other people on average.

“On the other hand, if you go in and three out of four people are already immune, then on average you will infect one person or fewer in that room,” he said. That person in turn would be able to infect fewer new people, too. And that makes it much less likely that a large outbreak can bloom.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Yes, someone has to pay for all of this stimulus.

$2,000,000,000,000 stimulus, divided equally (IF ONLY!), is $6000 per person in the U.S.
Half of people (approximately) don't pay taxes, so you can make the bill $12,000.

Higher income earners will pay the lion's share of it. I don't know what it works out to, but I figure I'm probably paying $25,000 or $30,000 just for this one stimulus. Not only am I paying for it, but I'm being forced to put it onto the "national credit card," with accumulating uncontrolled interest, so that by the time the U.S. is done billing me for all of this, it will probably cost $50,000 or more.

I wish there were a law against deficits, to require the government to bill people for their "services" as they incur them. We'd see just how many people were still in favor of this "free money."
I'm not sure I know what you mean/are including as government "services" for which citizens should be billed.

Louis

Private citizen
I'm not sure I know what you mean/are including as government "services" for which citizens should be billed.
Anything our tax dollars pay for. If the money is in the kitty, fine. If the money is not in the kitty, everyone gets a bill.

So for this $2 trillion stimulus, for which there is no money, I'd like the government to have to mail bill / demand notices.

Some people would get a $6k bill from "Donald Trump," then get a $2k stimulus check back. Bet their attitude toward that would be a bit different ;). (And he should sign the demand notice / debt collection notice just like he wanted to sign the check).

Others would get progressively large bills.

It's very easy to support all of this stimulus and funny money when there's no plan to pay for it and no one being asked to pay for it. (And before anyone attacks me, this is not a Democratic criticism, and I am not a fan of Republicans' deficit policies.)

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Anything our tax dollars pay for. If the money is in the kitty, fine. If the money is not in the kitty, everyone gets a bill.

So for this $2 trillion stimulus, for which there is no money, I'd like the government to have to mail bill / demand notices.

Some people would get a $6k bill from "Donald Trump," then get a $2k stimulus check back. Bet their attitude toward that would be a bit different ;). (And he should sign the demand notice / debt collection notice just like he wanted to sign the check).

Others would get progressively large bills.

It's very easy to support all of this stimulus and funny money when there's no plan to pay for it and no one being asked to pay for it. (And before anyone attacks me, this is not a Democratic criticism, and I am not a fan of Republicans' deficit policies.)
I misunderstood your use of "services" then.

Skate Talker

On the good news in my neck of the woods - Even though nationally the rate of positive tests is 5%, my province is running at .08%, even though almost all testing has been restricted to people with symptoms. Only a small number of targetted tests have been done on asymptomatic people to date. We have been told they "offer" the test to some people who are seeing medical professionals for other unrelated reasons. We have had no-one in hospital for 6 days now and are down to 14 active cases, though 2 males in their 20's did test positive earlier this week. (5 cases in the last 14 days.)

Bad news in this country continues to be both Ontario & Quebec with almost all of the new cases every day. Also bad news coming out of New Brunswick, which had no active cases for a couple of weeks. Suddenly they have 3 with the potential of many more. The story is the source is a doctor who traveled to Quebec (which has by far the most cases in Canada), on personal business. He then returned to New Brunswick without self-isolating for the mandatory 14 days. Instead he chose to go right back to work and has since been in close contact with over 150 patients. The premier is referring the information to the RCMP to see if criminal charges should be laid. They are so upset and disappointed - don't blame them. The premier has re-instated restrictions in the area of the province where this happened. The media are choosing not to reveal the doctor's name fearing for his safety. Hmm - Lucky for you someone cares about the possible consequences of their actions, eh doc?
Yup I know - quoting myself because I have a correction and an update.

The correction is that our province's rate of positive tests was actually .008%, not .08% - much better.

The update is the situation with the outbreak traced to the New Brunswick doctor. There are now 6 cases identified, with 2 people in ICU. Among those infected are a person in his/her 90's, another health care worker who had multiple contacts, and the doctor's own child who also had many contacts at 2 different daycares. The doctor has been suspended. New Brunswick has only had 128 cases in total so this is a really big, sudden, contact-tracing outbreak nightmare with up to a 2-week head start. The province has spent their planning time while cases were low running exercises for just this kind of scenario so they were ready to swing into action.

acraven

BBC.com has posted an article about creation of a "travel bubble" for Denmark and Norway to take effect June 15. It's interesting that:
  • They've set a date more than two weeks in the future.
  • Sweden--whose death rate has nearly caught up with that of France--is excluded, despite its close ties to Denmark.
Denmark is also allowing travel to and from Germany and Iceland, but visitors from those countries will not be allowed to spend the night in Copenhagen. It appears the Copenhagen restriction does not apply to Norwegians, but I could be misinterpreting the article on that point.

The Danish government is urging its own citizens not to travel to cities of more than 750,000 and advising "against all unnecessary trips to the rest of the world until 31 August".

The article closes with bullet points summarizing the travel restrictions of several other European countries. The article was posted a few hours ago (May 29); one hopes it's accurate as of this moment, but anyone for whom this really matters obviously needs to seek current information on the appropriate government website.

honey

Yup I know - quoting myself because I have a correction and an update.

The correction is that our province's rate of positive tests was actually .008%, not .08% - much better.

The update is the situation with the outbreak traced to the New Brunswick doctor. There are now 6 cases identified, with 2 people in ICU. Among those infected are a person in his/her 90's, another health care worker who had multiple contacts, and the doctor's own child who also had many contacts at 2 different daycares. The doctor has been suspended. New Brunswick has only had 128 cases in total so this is a really big, sudden, contact-tracing outbreak nightmare with up to a 2-week head start. The province has spent their planning time while cases were low running exercises for just this kind of scenario so they were ready to swing into action.
The health care worker that they announced that tested positive today also works in a long term care facility.
:(

Louis

Private citizen
The article closes with bullet points summarizing the travel restrictions of several other European countries. The article was posted a few hours ago (May 29); one hopes it's accurate as of this moment, but anyone for whom this really matters obviously needs to seek current information on the appropriate government website.
My understanding is that the Italy border reopening on June 3 applies only to EU or Schengen member states plus the UK. I believe Spain is using the same criteria for its July 1 reopening. So no tourists who are not European residents.

Domshabfan

Lady Hale's Brooch
A few weeks ago I mentioned here about getting sick as we went into lockdown here in the UK. Initially, I was told that it was likely to be just flu by doctors, though there were some problems with that assertion. I have had body pain after this incident, which most flu-like diseases give. 5 weeks after my flu, I climbed a small hill as a part of my exercise and my lung my on fire. I experienced severe pain for the next few days. (Now I am better, by do get pain in the back. can't do heavy exercise)

Later I came to know several others in my work circle have had similar issues. I have had Asthma all my life so that also a factor. I am fairly certain I have had it, I know where I got the disease and where they might have got it as well.

When people talk about deaths from this disease, what they are forgetting is the long term health of people who have to overcome this disease. We still don't know what impact this will have on all these people. When some people talk of herd immunity they forget the long term impact of this disease may have. After all, it was munching on the lungs.

(this is the Guardian article on the subject, was actually looking for another one but found this instead)

Also, we may have antibodies against this disease for a few months, what happens after that? if the person who has had a tough fight first time around be able to survive the next round?. With the rolling nature of the spread of the disease and how long it takes to get herd immunity, you could get the second wave even within a closed country without a social distancing measure in place if the immunity is short-lived.

skategal

Bunny mama
Nova Scotia pulled in our first ZERO today.

Yippee! :cheer2:

Almost all businesses scheduled to reopen
June 5th with social distancing and hygiene practices in place.

This includes salons, spas, bars, restaurants, malls, all health providers, gyms and fitness centres.

Daycares, pools, kids sports and day camps told to prepare plans to reopen by summer.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
SF has said that face coverings must be worn everywhere including outside, btw. That happened yesterday. They also released a list of what stuff can open when in the month of June.

Today at the CA briefing, a good portion of it was spent talking about George Floyd and how we have to do better. Which segued into how there are racial disparities in C19 stats. There was a slide about it and I found it interesting that many ethnicities were having a higher percentage of cases than their population would suggest. However, only African Americans were having higher death rates from what I saw. They are dying at 2x the rate of everyone else.

bladesofgorey

Also, we may have antibodies against this disease for a few months, what happens after that? if the person who has had a tough fight first time around be able to survive the next round?. With the rolling nature of the spread of the disease and how long it takes to get herd immunity, you could get the second wave even within a closed country without a social distancing measure in place if the immunity is short-lived.
Not only that but a large number of people who had this and tested positive have been testing negative for antibodies. There's still so much we don't know (like: everything right now) about immunity from reinfection.

once_upon

New condo owner
150 new cases in my county. 3 new deaths. Hospitals are 72% capacity.
150 cases is a big jump from earlier in the week. Only 1 or 2 from nursing home, not sure how many from packing plant.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
New Zealand only has one active case in the entire country!
As early as August, now, they say we may open borders to one another. The hope is to include the Pacific Islands also, eventually; but that must be done more carefully.

I imagine there will be a bit of travel "over the ditch"; New Zealand is a beautiful place for a holiday at any time of year!

acraven

Canada has announced a ban on large cruise ships through October 31. For this purpose, "large" is not all that big; it's any cruise ship with "overnight accommodations and more than 100 passengers and crew". The previous ban (through June) applied to ships with more than 500 passengers.

As of July, smaller ships will be able to make port in Canada with the permission of provincial and regional health authorities.

There are tighter restrictions on Arctic ports; ships in those areas are limited to twelve passengers through October.

https://www.660citynews.com/2020/05/29/large-cruises-banned-in-canada-at-least-until-oct-31/ (AP story)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 33, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information