News & Experiences continued

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Boston Marathon
@bostonmarathon

The @BAA has announced that the 124th Boston Marathon will be held as a virtual event, following Boston Mayor Martin Walsh’s cancellation of the marathon as a mass participation road running event due to the *********-19 *********...

Participants in the virtual 2020 Boston Marathon will be required to complete the 26.2 mile distance within 6 hours & provide proof of timing. All finishers of the virtual race will receive an official Boston Marathon program, participant t-shirt, medal, & runner’s bib.

Originally it had been postponed from April to September, so this announcement is its official cancellation.

Susan1

Ohio 5/28/2020

31,625 confirmed cases + 2,290 probable = 33,915 total; 357,722 tests
Still - Ages <1 - 109. Median age - 49

Hospitalized - 5,811; ICU - 1,516; Healthcare workers - 5,117 (15%)

Deaths - 1,888 confirmed + 210 probable = 2,098

Columbus - 5,566 / 253
Cleveland - 4,211 / 226
Marion County - 2,642 / 25
Cincinnati - 2,555 / 135
13th - Dayton - 637 / 17 / 165 hosp.

They must be getting tired of doing this. Half an hour of fast reading info. Half an hour of questions. Dr. Acton wasn’t there. He didn’t say why. No briefing till Tuesday, unless they have news.

There’s a map of Community Health Centers and Testing Centers - including some CVSs - on the website. They have added individuals with symptoms to the list (healthcare workers, high risk, etc.) of people who can be tested now.

June 8 - they will begin having outdoor visitations at intermediate care, assisted living and developmental disability locations - following health department protocols and guidelines. Facilities have to schedule times, screen and take temps, social distancing. No actual nursing homes.

Talked about fair cancellations - working on plans and guidelines to have junior fairs. The decision will be made locally. (On the news they have been announcing all the things that are cancelled in the fall.)

TechCred will now be offered to people who are the newly unemployed (16% rate, he didn't give actual numbers) -

“Ohio's TechCred Program gives employers the chance to upskill current and future employees in today’s tech-infused economy. Employers who submit successful applications will be reimbursed up to $2,000 per credential when current or prospective employees complete eligible technology-focused credentials.”

Vote by mail - president says it will be rigged? We have a long history of using absentee ballots (no fault absentee system) without any problem, along with four weeks of early voting and in person on voting day, won’t be exclusively vote by mail.

Will address amusement parks, zoos and museums next week. Not up to Ohio about Reds and Indians games. (I need to get Laura Bishoff (DDN) or Jim Otte (WHIO) to ask about libraries. My books are now due June 30. AARRGGHH!!!)

Email to reporter about daycare not being able to make money at 50% capacity, so why open. DeWine said daycares are being subsidized to the tune of $20M/month.

Reporter asked if DeWine and Husted would attend RNC. DeWine rolled his eyes! Nobody knows where we are going to be or what it will look like. Husted said they will follow the rules and fulfill their duties.

Re restaurants and bars opening working out? He had info that Butler and Hamilton counties R-0 are up. (me - couldn't have been caused just since last Thursday.) One was 1.2 and the other was 1.9. He didn’t say which was which. People need to wear masks, social distance, etc. to make it work.

Reporter read this trump tweet -
“We made most Governors look very good, even great, by getting them the Ventilators, unlimited Testing, and supplies, all of which they should have had in their own stockpiles. So they look great, and I just keep rolling along, doing great things and getting Fake Lamestream News!”

And then asked DeWine if he did get them ventilators and unlimited testing. He got huffy and said they have been responsive, and governors have a conference call with the VP at least once a week. So he folded like a cheap lawn chair hahahaha and didn’t answer the question. Probably got bitched at for going on all the news shows telling people to wear masks, so he’s CYA. Then, we need to make these things in Ohio. Me - because you can’t get them from the president, you mean?

A reporter brought up some governor’s request for correct and complete information (actual vs. reported)? (Me - you can't know “actual” unless it is “reported”? DeWine said they give us everything they have. Reporter said what about recovered people, and congregate vs. general population? DeWine said to figure out who has recovered, subtract the deaths from the cases. Me - Wow. He must have still been stinging from the trump question, cause that doesn’t make any sense. They could still be in the hospital or never gone to the hospital, or died and then tested positive, etc. The congregate thing should be easier - subtract the long term care or prison numbers from the total cases.

Last edited:

Dobre

Apparently according to the New Yorker, we have a "bitter political divide" in Oregon.

Le sigh.

We have a geographic divide (the Cascade Mountains), which does result in a political divide. But I don't find most of us too "bitter."

As far as I can tell, there have been relatively few protests here (I've read of about 4), half of which were for opening up things that were basically already scheduled to be opened:rolleyes:. Technically, I'm not sure one of the protests even happened, and the last one I read about ended an hour early. (I'm told half the people that were in the press picture on the coast were just locals or tourists walking by).

Notes: The business that had the outbreak announced yesterday in Multnomah County turned out to be a fruit farm. (Strawberry picking season, maybe?)

Last edited:

Sparks

The Governor of NM is starting more re-opening guidelines starting June 1st.
Lots of good common sense.
Patio dining opened this week with distance and hygiene protocols. I would LOVE to out to eat on a beautiful patio, but I'm still feeling nervous. I'll wait awhile to see how this goes. If the curve starts to go up, I'm still eating at home.

flyingsit

Colorado update: everything continues to trend down except testing which is increasing. Yesterday over 7000 people were tested, with positivity below 5%.

Louis

Private citizen
I hope you and your money are very happy together, because you certainly don't seem to care about anyone else.
I care about small business owners, corporations who employ others and seek to do good, hard-working people, immigrants (to any country) who work hard in support of a better life, "forgotten people" who are not part of a favored demographic and who suffer in life because of it, disadvantaged children who don't grow up in the right area (with the exception of those who pretend they are from an area that they're not :shuffle: ), all of Italy and especially the south, and plenty of other people and causes. Nothing makes me happier than developing people, watching others succeed, and helping others find financial independence. At some point in my life, I hope I can figure out a way to create business(es) - renewable revenue streams - that support the groups I mention above. Unfortunately, I don't have any great ideas at this point.

But, yes, money makes me happy, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Money can't buy happiness, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier. I live life with an unapologetic bias toward keeping expenses low and earnings/bank balance high. I love helping others make (or save) money just as much.

I know liberal-leaning people like to believe that those right of center (or just plain center in my case) are evil, not charitable, etc., etc. The reality is that we're charitable in a different way. The main difference is that we're more comfortable saying "no" or "enough!" to those who milk the system and are always looking for handouts; we're OK passing judgment that some are worthy and others are not; we're OK separating genuine need from "sob story"; we're OK with telling some that they need to learn to fish, and to offer a tutorial, but not the catch of the day; we're OK saying that six slices of the eight-slice pizza belong to us if we've paid for the whole thing. Beyond a few things I've posted on sekret sources about my niece, I am not public at all about "charity." If one gives, one should give freely - not for any halo. I'll go to my grave and beyond without anyone knowing about anything I've given to any person or cause. Charity is a private matter, and I don't talk about it with anyone. I don't give a "rusty hoot" if people think I'm charitable or not. In fact, I hope people think I'm uncharitable because I don't want anyone to ever feel ashamed or embarrassed.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm also comfortable saying "enough!" here. Even if 1/3 are at risk, we can't and shouldn't restrict 2/3 because of that. Especially when we already allow other things - e.g., smoking and pollution - that kill even more "innocent" people. (And, no, you can't really choose to walk down a smoke-free or car-free street.)

Erin

I know liberal-leaning people like to believe that those right of center (or just plain center in my case) are evil, not charitable, etc., etc.
Well, I lean fiscal conservative, and I still think that a lot of what you have posted lately is indefensible.

skatfan

Back to the topic at hand, I'm also comfortable saying "enough!" here. Even if 1/3 are at risk, we can't and shouldn't restrict 2/3 because of that. Especially when we already allow other things - e.g., smoking and pollution - that kill even more "innocent" people. (And, no, you can't really choose to walk down a smoke-free or car-free street.)
Glad to know that you are happy risking 1/3 of the planet's population. Now we know what "enough" is - billions of people. Your values are perfectly clear to all of us.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Yeah, the economic damage caused by two billion people dying would put the current financial situation in the halfpenny place.

Louis

Private citizen
As usual, hyperbole :rolleyes:. Two billion people are not going to die, even by the insane and universally discredited Imperial College model that you all keep citing. Even with all of the "sky is falling!" failures that you all mention (and Governors Cuomo and Murphy exterminating old people in nursing homes), 360k people worldwide have died of *********-19. Before *********-19, on average 150k people worldwide die each day.

I believe - and at least some data supports - that people sheltering at home are at least as likely to die as those who are going about their daily lives, and believe that everyone should have the choice but not the obligation to leave their homes as they would normally. At most, 1/3 of people are at risk. I believe your approach puts them at more risk. You believe my approach puts them at more risk. Science is, at best, inconclusive and failing to accurately predict the situation. In my view, the fairest thing is to let people decide for themselves free of Big Brother.

Well, I lean fiscal conservative, and I still think that a lot of what you have posted lately is indefensible.
Yeah, I'm OK with that :lol: and with disagreement in general. I think much of the public policy is indefensible, so I'm not surprised nor offended that people are having reciprocal reactions. But good for you for leaning fiscal conservative. :respec:

Last edited:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
It’s a novel *****, everyone is as risk...

A lot of people who get it are asymptomatic. A lot of people who get it have mild symptoms. A small number it goes full postal. Everyone is at risk in catching it. Not everyone who catches it dies.

once_upon

New condo owner
The news report of tracking people who were at that Lake of the Ozark party weekend, traced phone from there to St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha and other places.

clairecloutier

A discouraging article in Politico about major issues with CV19 data in the U.S. Absent any clear leadership and standardization from Washington, different states are essentially collating data in different ways and making arbitrary decisions about what to include and not include, and decisions are being made to hide info that doesn’t look good. As a result, the official data is not reliable. 😟

Dobre

Anecdotal story:

A couple anxious to reserve a "spot" on one of the local rivers for Memorial Day weekend apparently came up & parked their RV in a nearby county early in the week, then left. We had rain all last week. The river flooded, and there is now a picture in the paper showing their trailer floating on down the river.

Moral of the story: Don't come here to spend your vacation:rofl:.

Dobre

Good news, I think. I read another story on the fruit farm outbreak in Multnomah County. It says 350 workers were brought in from out of state over Memorial Day weekend to work at this farm, "and county and state officials coordinated with the company to plan for testing of all workers shortly after their arrival." 48 workers have thus far tested positive.

So they caught it. Good for the company & the state!

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Yeah, the economic damage caused by two billion people dying would put the current financial situation in the halfpenny place.
Which is why economists come down on the side of SIP as long as the death rate is high enough. And so far even with revised figures that are more realistic than the original estimates, SIP still wins. There would definitely be a point where they would stop recommending it and diseases where they would not recommend it to start with.

I actually am okay with businesses that are needed during this C19 situation making money. Like Zoom, my company, Amazon, Shipt, etc. My issue is with the people who took advantage of insider knowledge and connections to set up businesses doing things like providing PPE and then charged 10x what PPE normally costs as they played states and hospitals off against each other. That's not profiting. That's profiteering. And it's not okay IMO.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
People keep telling me this is so different than smoking, driving, etc. I don't think it is at all, and your own links are confirming it!
And you keep telling us it's all the same without addressing any of the reasons it isn't, even though people keep telling you what they are again and again and again.

Except heterogeneity of a population reduces the risk of transmission and thus reduces the threshold to achieve herd immunity. Some scientists (and people can google if they're interested) are estimating herd immunity can be achieved with as little as 7% of the population affected, depending on population heterogeneity. I don't think it's that low, but I also think it's much lower than the 60-90% cited by a lot of epidemiologists.
As it happens I did do some Googling about this, even though I firmly believe that it is the responsiblity of the one making the claim to provide evidence to support the claim. It always piques my interest when someone who obviously has no trouble posting links suddenly demurs.

What I found--which may not be what you are looking at, because you aren't posting it for whatever reason, so I am just seeing what I see--is that those saying that we can achieve herd immunity with those very low percetanges say that this is possible with strict social distancing to reduce exposure as much as possible. I also see that the research of some of these scientists is not well regarded in the field. And that some of them are not actually IN the field. And the one that I found that says that the herd immunity threshold might be reached at 7% of the population is based on data from Stockholm that has since been demonstrated to be invalid.

Now again, maybe you are looking at something else. But since we are in :sekret: mode here, it will be almost impossible to say. You'll have to Google for yourself and see if you can find what I am referencing.

As usual, hyperbole :rolleyes:. Two billion people are not going to die, even by the insane and universally discredited Imperial College model that you all keep citing.
Next people will be citing that totally discredited Stanford study over and over again.

Skate Talker

As compiled by the CDC, in the first six months of 2020, Florida has logged 5,248 deaths due to pneumonia.
I wonder what kind of calendar the CDC uses that includes 6 months in 2020 before the end of May.... No wonder things are messed up.

On the good news in my neck of the woods - Even though nationally the rate of positive tests is 5%, my province is running at .08%, even though almost all testing has been restricted to people with symptoms. Only a small number of targetted tests have been done on asymptomatic people to date. We have been told they "offer" the test to some people who are seeing medical professionals for other unrelated reasons. We have had no-one in hospital for 6 days now and are down to 14 active cases, though 2 males in their 20's did test positive earlier this week. (5 cases in the last 14 days.)

Bad news in this country continues to be both Ontario & Quebec with almost all of the new cases every day. Also bad news coming out of New Brunswick, which had no active cases for a couple of weeks. Suddenly they have 3 with the potential of many more. The story is the source is a doctor who traveled to Quebec (which has by far the most cases in Canada), on personal business. He then returned to New Brunswick without self-isolating for the mandatory 14 days. Instead he chose to go right back to work and has since been in close contact with over 150 patients. The premier is referring the information to the RCMP to see if criminal charges should be laid. They are so upset and disappointed - don't blame them. The premier has re-instated restrictions in the area of the province where this happened. The media are choosing not to reveal the doctor's name fearing for his safety. Hmm - Lucky for you someone cares about the possible consequences of their actions, eh doc?

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Louis, next to me, you are a pauper. Sitting across the table from me is a person who is priceless and I couldn’t be happier....

antmanb

Honestly I don't get what the arguing is about. No-one is saying that we should be back in complete lockdown. The UK is slowly reopening and tentatively re-assessing it every 2-3 weeks and monitoring the rate of infection and the numbers. That's the only way to responsibly re-open. I'm happy that it's happening and wouldn't want it to go any faster. We need to make sure we keep an eye on the numbers and react appropriately which may include regional lockdowns if there is a sudden spike.

Louis

Private citizen
From the person who is screaming “Oppression” because he is being asked to not go on holiday for a few months. :lol:
I can go on holiday in five days if I want to.

I don't want to go on holiday, I want to go to WORK and not just work from home. And I want to stop running up various national credit cards for all of this unnecessary stimulus to pay people who are willing and able to go to work to stay home and do nothing.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information